HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Can't Hockey stop

Old
02-12-2009, 10:47 PM
WickedWrister

vCash: 500
What is this snow plow you speak of?

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

snow plow is......**** it here is a video, not the best but you get the gist

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
What is this snow plow you speak of?
A snow plow, is performed by keeping your feet shoulder width apart and then turning your toes to that they touch. However, the whole concept in stopping is to perform this move, but don't let your toes come together.

If you can keep the toes from coming together and placing the weight on the ball of your toes....you will stop! It looks something like this..../ \

Then you want to try and place the weight all on the right foot and stop with your left skate by only doing a left foot "Snow Plow" It looks like this..../ | But turn that left skate more towards a "T" configuration.

Once you do this, the right skate will start to turn as well. Remember to bend your knees and then stand to shift that center of gravity, then start the snow plow.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:21 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
The snowplow will get you using your edges. once you start understanding the edges the stop will come. As well your turning will get better and faster once you understand your edges and how they work.

Snowplow stopping is better than T stopping if you are actually playing a game. faster and safer.

you really need to keep your knees bent and butt down too. a good stance will improve everything for you.

Howie Meeker videos are a great place to start to get basics.
http://archives.cbc.ca/programs/1564/

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Fatpride

i just put my weight onto my heels, and plant my feet. tends to work for me, and its how i taught my little cousin how to stop

Fatpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:58 PM
LarryO

Your weight should be more on the balls of your feet. From Laura Stamm's Power Skating book, in the chapter on Hockey Stops, "Scrape the ice with the balls of your feet. Scraping with your heels causes the edges to dig into the ice too much and you will have trouble stopping smoothly." Putting your weight on your heels is more for digging in for tight turns.

LarryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 12:11 AM
busta9

i was taught to turn your body and sit. It worked well when I was younger.

busta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 01:20 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by busta9 View Post
i was taught to turn your body and sit. It worked well when I was younger.
Now that's what I'm talking about. but you simplified it.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Using all 4 edges takes a lot of practice and hard work...

Even the pros have a weaker foot and they continue to strengthen their weaker side.

Many times if you play righty, your right foot is the dominant foot... if you play lefty, your left foot is dominant.

I am a lefty and when I was younger I had trouble learning to stop on my right side. I practiced and practiced, but just couldn't master it.

I discovered that if I picked up a right handed stick and skated with it, my body naturally started to lean that way. I was able to learn how to stop on my right side using this method, pretty quickly.

It was so long ago, but I think it took maybe an hour or so... that is how effective this method is.

I've since used this trick to teach a lot of other ppl. how to stop on their weaker side and it almost always works.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:50 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
I can skate alright, backwards, turning, alright speed but I can't "hockey stop" I am forced to do a T-stop to slow down. Maybe my skates are too big (I'm a size 10.5) and my skates are Nike Bauer 8's. Anyway, whenever I try to hockeystop I just end up turning instead of stopping. Do I have to jump or what? Anyone have some tips?
Just out of Curiosity, Have you ever Skied before?

If so, it is a very similar motion of relying on your edges

Going heavy on the outside foot, and and lightening up on your inner edge...

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:43 AM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
Just out of Curiosity, Have you ever Skied before?

If so, it is a very similar motion of relying on your edges

Going heavy on the outside foot, and and lightening up on your inner edge...
snowboard

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 10:01 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
snowboard
Okay, so you get the idea about using edges. Your feet are just pointed in a different direction when you stop. What's the difference on a snowboard between a turn and a stop?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 12:22 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
Using all 4 edges takes a lot of practice and hard work...

Even the pros have a weaker foot and they continue to strengthen their weaker side.

Many times if you play righty, your right foot is the dominant foot... if you play lefty, your left foot is dominant.

I am a lefty and when I was younger I had trouble learning to stop on my right side. I practiced and practiced, but just couldn't master it.

I discovered that if I picked up a right handed stick and skated with it, my body naturally started to lean that way. I was able to learn how to stop on my right side using this method, pretty quickly.

It was so long ago, but I think it took maybe an hour or so... that is how effective this method is.

I've since used this trick to teach a lot of other ppl. how to stop on their weaker side and it almost always works.
I'm just backwards. I'm a righty, shoot righty, and I can stop easily turning to my right, but I struggle going left. When going left I scrape the ice with the inside edge of my right foot just fine, but I have problems with the outside edge of my left foot.

But then, I find it much easier to turn left and do right over left crossovers. I can't figure it out.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
I'm just backwards. I'm a righty, shoot righty, and I can stop easily turning to my right, but I struggle going left. When going left I scrape the ice with the inside edge of my right foot just fine, but I have problems with the outside edge of my left foot.

But then, I find it much easier to turn left and do right over left crossovers. I can't figure it out.
right over left crossovers are usually more natural for a right handed person. the coincidence is that its less natural to hold your outside edge when you are turning on your left with your left foot. so its easier to hold your outsid edge on your right foot whne you turn right but then you have to left over right cross over. you really arent suppose to cross over until you are about 2/3rds through the turn, just to regain that speed

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl 30: 02-13-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old
02-13-2009, 02:46 PM
LarryO

Quote:

It's just a matter of practising your weak side more than your strong side. If you practise your weak side enough, the 2 sides eventually become equally easy. Practise, practise, practise!

Old
02-13-2009, 02:59 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
It's just a matter of practising your weak side more than your strong side. If you practise your weak side enough, the 2 sides eventually become equally easy. Practise, practise, practise!
Oh, I know that's what I need to do, I just don't have time to go to public skates to work on it right now, and in games I don't even think and always stop on my stronger side.

Old
02-13-2009, 03:00 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
you really arent suppose to cross over until you are about 2/3rds through the turn, just to regain that speed
I'm not sure I agree with that. It sounds like something that would make perfect sense in auto racing. But on skates, if for example I'm going around my net, I'll start accelerating at the start of the turn and reach almost full speed by the time I come out of it. Of course it depends on how fast you're already going when you start the turn, but a turn is a great place to build up some speed!

Old
02-13-2009, 03:18 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Oh, I know that's what I need to do, I just don't have time to go to public skates to work on it right now, and in games I don't even think and always stop on my stronger side.
Yeah I hear ya. It's not always easy to find free time. But every little bit helps, like practising only your weak side during pre-game warm-ups. Or stopping on your weak side when you go to your position before a face-off, or when you go to the bench at the end of a shift. These little things add up!
I'm a bit of a fanatic about skating technique and use every little opportunity I can get to improve.

Old
02-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with that. It sounds like something that would make perfect sense in auto racing. But on skates, if for example I'm going around my net, I'll start accelerating at the start of the turn and reach almost full speed by the time I come out of it. Of course it depends on how fast you're already going when you start the turn, but a turn is a great place to build up some speed!
the way i was taught, and i dont mean to sound like im bragging, but the guy who taught me is this russian guy who trains with some of the russian superstars of the league in the offseason on their skating(i think you probably know which players im talking about) and he told me to hold my edge until im about 1/2 to 2/3rds around the turn then one or 2 quick cross overs to regain my speed.

i dont think there is a right or wrong way to do it and some people are taught different ways. i was taught by a russian guy so i was taught more of a russian style of skating

Old
02-13-2009, 05:41 PM
LarryO

Quote:
the way i was taught, and i dont mean to sound like im bragging, but the guy who taught me is this russian guy who trains with some of the russian superstars of the league in the offseason on their skating(i think you probably know which players im talking about) and he told me to hold my edge until im about 1/2 to 2/3rds around the turn then one or 2 quick cross overs to regain my speed.

i dont think there is a right or wrong way to do it and some people are taught different ways. i was taught by a russian guy so i was taught more of a russian style of skating
Like I said, it also depends on how fast you're already going when you start the turn. If you enter the turn at almost full speed, then your method makes perfect sense to me.

Old
02-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Like I said, it also depends on how fast you're already going when you start the turn. If you enter the turn at almost full speed, then your method makes perfect sense to me.
yea, i know what you are saying, its kind of hard to explain what im saying. in this video it kind of helps explain what im saying. he also emphasized to lead with your stick around turns. the russian guy is like teh guy that taught me, watch for the turning part....around 155

Old
02-14-2009, 09:25 AM
LarryO

Quote:
yea, i know what you are saying, its kind of hard to explain what im saying. in this video it kind of helps explain what im saying. he also emphasized to lead with your stick around turns. the russian guy is like teh guy that taught me, watch for the turning part....around 155

OK! You're talking about making a really sharp turn. That explains everything. Thanks for the video. Man that guy can skate!

Old
02-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
OK! You're talking about making a really sharp turn. That explains everything. Thanks for the video. Man that guy can skate!
yea, thats what i meant, i couldnt quite spit out what i wanted to say. yea that guy is great, the guy who taught me is just like this guy, the way he speaks and everything

Old
02-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Dr Turk

Will going from a ½ to a ¾ hollow help me learn to do a hockey stop and get me accustomed to the feeling of gliding on the ice? It seems like im digging into the ice to much, and cant get my blades “free”.

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 08:56 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
Will going from a ½ to a ¾ hollow help me learn to do a hockey stop and get me accustomed to the feeling of gliding on the ice? It seems like im digging into the ice to much, and cant get my blades “free”.
It probably would, though I'm not sure I'd go for such a drastic change. Maybe try 5/8 first, then if that doesn't work go up to 3/4 (you could also go up in even smaller increments of 1/16). Moving to a shallower hollow helped me with my stopping.

Just be aware that in going to a shallower hollow like you're talking about you'll also lose some of that "bite" on turns.