HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shootout line-up...

Old
02-12-2009, 12:57 AM
binary0x01

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to binary0x01 Send a message via Yahoo to binary0x01
Shootout line-up...

Hey guys, I think the lineup for the shootout should have been, Green, Ovechkin, Fedorov.

Ideally I'd put Semin, Green, Poti, Ovechkin.

I know semin and poti were out though.

binary0x01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:07 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Poti wasn't out? Are you getting Poti and Kozlov confused somehow?

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 05:34 AM
sikosmurf

sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:39 AM
dbui72

I think Laich should take a few SO chances, he has a nice backhander and can opener.

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

i woulda had nylander ovechkin green

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 08:09 AM
tim

If Fedorov is going to take meaningless slapshots with 3 seconds of hanging his stick in the air beforehand ... please keep him away from the SO.

You keep Ovechkin out there just to intimidate even if it's not his best skill - that being said, he's still good at it. Unfortunately the Caps were out of two of their better SO artists (Semin & Kozlov).

Kozlov Ovechkin Semin is my preferred lineup.

Nylander is a good sub.

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 08:28 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Bruce has ridden a "hot" gordon before, and made other head scratching picks. I would almost pay to see Green in the shootout. It almost seems like a no brainer with our injuries last night, and his hot hand. I know defensemen are shunned in general, but i am not sure of the logic when you have a Green in your arsenal.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:27 AM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellix View Post
If Fedorov is going to take meaningless slapshots with 3 seconds of hanging his stick in the air beforehand ... please keep him away from the SO.

You keep Ovechkin out there just to intimidate even if it's not his best skill - that being said, he's still good at it. Unfortunately the Caps were out of two of their better SO artists (Semin & Kozlov).

Kozlov Ovechkin Semin is my preferred lineup.

Nylander is a good sub.
Ya that was a rotten effort by Fedorov.

Agree on that shootout lineup.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Devil Dancer

I wasn't happy with the team's performance in the shootout last night. Green was a no-brainer, and I'd like to see Flash get a shot here and there.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Backstrom and Green should have both been in there long before Fedorov and Laich. Ovie and Nylander made sense. Flash might have been good as well.

Oh well. We're not going to win many shootouts without Kozlov.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:26 AM
pgreene

shootouts are stupid. does anyone still even watch them?

and i don't think green would be worth much in a shootout. every goalie on the planet knows or should know he's going high glove. if i were a goalie, i wouldn't even butterfly. make him shoot low, period.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Foy

who cares in 6 weeks they won't matter anyways.

At least we didn't put out Boyd Gordon.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Vi

I'd still like to see Flash on the SO. He seems like the kind of player who has the potential to excel at something like that. He just strikes me as the sort of player who had the right skill set.

Oh well. Going into a SO without Kov or Semin is going to be killer for us either way.

Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:15 PM
sk84fun_dc

Kozlov is a given if he isn't hurt and Nylander isn't a surprise given his stats in the shootout; with Semin and Kozlov out and given the game, I expected to see Green before Laich.

FWIW, even as a Fleischmann fan, I don't expect to see him in the shootout until a few others have their shot; even when he was excelling in Hershey he wasn't successful in the shootout from watching the games and looking at stats those seasons. IIRC, when I ran the stats awhile ago (maybe a year ago when the SO participants was being discussed), he was successful something like 1 time a season his 2 seasons with Hershey (and Hershey overall was horrible in the SO) and he has never scored a goal in the SO at the NHL level. From comments other coaches have made since the SO started up, how players have performed during the game and how they do in the shootout drills in practice have been factors in choosing the players; my guess is Fleischmann stinks at them in practice, too, although it is just a guess.

Fehr had a bit more success with Hershey than Fleischmann but not much IIRC, and FWIW, I recall Boyd Gordon scoring a goal for Hershey in the SO a few times. And I only remember Green taking a SO once with Hershey, but the time I remember was a goal.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:19 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
shootouts are stupid. does anyone still even watch them?

and i don't think green would be worth much in a shootout. every goalie on the planet knows or should know he's going high glove. if i were a goalie, i wouldn't even butterfly. make him shoot low, period.
You'd think goalies would have that figured out in regulation too, heh. Its not the shot you take, its what you do before that. You need to stick handle, fake DO something; that Fedorov shot makes me think we need to shave 100K off his next contract offer. cringe.

Dont forget Green just tied the record for most goals in consecutive games by a Dman, no small feat.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:22 PM
EroCaps

Bruce in the Postgame yesterday mention that he instructed the guys not to go low on Lundqvist and mentioned Nyles and Laich went low and they lost.

Not sure why they didn't go with Green or Flash.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 02:19 AM
changeiskonstant

agree with not putting feds on the SO if he's gonna go with the slapper like that.

glad nylander got the chance but wish he tried to get the puck up a bit at the end there.

flash-ovy-green would've been my picks w/ koz and semin out. tempted to throw fehr in there somewhere too just to see what he's got. maybe in place of ovy =X

Last edited by changeiskonstant: 02-13-2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: add on
changeiskonstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Jasper17

I actually had no problem with Laich taking one, and personally would like to see him take more. I think he actually made a great move, easily better than anyone else who took a shot for the Caps.

Ovechkin is fine on the shootout, he just needs to shoot more instead of trying to make moves. With his power and release there is not reason for him to do anything but than just shoot the ****ing puck.

I was surprised Green didn't get a shot. But then again how many times in his life has he ever been on a break away? Its not like he has a ton of experience in this type of situation.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 10:16 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
I actually had no problem with Laich taking one, and personally would like to see him take more. I think he actually made a great move, easily better than anyone else who took a shot for the Caps.

Ovechkin is fine on the shootout, he just needs to shoot more instead of trying to make moves. With his power and release there is not reason for him to do anything but than just shoot the ****ing puck.

I was surprised Green didn't get a shot. But then again how many times in his life has he ever been on a break away? Its not like he has a ton of experience in this type of situation.
Laich has a slick move, but it's worked, what, once? Granted he can't really improve it if he never gets to shoot, but it's a very high risk move so that's probably why he doesn't get to go as often.

You have to wonder if it's as clear to the other team as it is to the fans that he's going to go can-opener every time.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote