HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy on CKAC right now about Price

Old
02-13-2009, 06:36 AM
RushDP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Yes, meantime he's the number one goaltender. Being 21 years old or 41 years old is not an asset when you can't play well as the number one goaltender.

Knock off your criticism of everything but Price. He needs to improve, and he's got an accomplished coach to help him. But Price does not have impunity.

Your impatience with a proven goaltender coach shows more than any impatience anyone has about anything else.

The goaltending situation must improve or Montreal's 2009 hopes die quickly.
Accomplished goalie coach? There are big question marks around the goalie coach right now because our goalies have the nasty habit of regressing instead of progressing.

Longevity does not prove competence. Just because he's been around a while does not mean he is a great goalie coach. There are many who openly question his worth.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 07:34 AM
3TB3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Accomplished goalie coach? There are big question marks around the goalie coach right now because our goalies have the nasty habit of regressing instead of progressing.
Co-incidence? As soon as these young players come up from Hamilton to the Habs they are playing great hockey, displaying all kinds of talent for their early games here, but just awhile later under Carbonneau and that staff of Gainey friends they all regress? Is it a co-incidence?

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
Co-incidence? As soon as these young players come up from Hamilton to the Habs they are playing great hockey, displaying all kinds of talent for their early games here, but just awhile later under Carbonneau and that staff of Gainey friends they all regress? Is it a co-incidence?
Maybe it has something to do with the difference in caliber between the NHL and the AHL. You know, young player comes up, boosted for a few games, comes back to normal, other teams adapt, you know, the usual.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Nevertheless Mr. Asterix sir,

Carbo was a hab from 83-94 and Roy was a hab from 85-95... so the vast majority of their careers overlapped. People who remember Roy on the habs would also remember the player Carbo was....

Age of fans has nothing to do about how "popular" they find Roy as opposed to Carbo.

ON topic: I think both would be pretty bad coaches in Montreal
My point is that few here were born, let alone old enough to watch him play between 83-94. They might have been during Roy's tenure as a Habs though.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Inked87

I'm surprised to hear Price smokes...and parties? I was at a game a few months ago and they were doing the ask the players segment. This one was for new year's resolutions, Carey said the team should stop drinking. I also read that he'd want to sit down and have lunch with jesus. He's big on religion eh? Hence why I'm darn surprised to hear he likes to smoke and party it up.

Let's hope he gets back into the swing of things.

Inked87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 01:35 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
My point is that few here were born, let alone old enough to watch him play between 83-94. They might have been during Roy's tenure as a Habs though.
Roy and Carbonneau had almost identical tenures. That's the point AD is making.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
you know unless we know what the coaches are telling/teaching the players we really have no clue. maybe if we watched all there practices and video sessions we'd would have a better idea of what they are and aren't doing. so its almost impossible to say with any certainty what the deal is.
this is the problem with assessing coaches in general we arent privy to alot of things. we really can only go by what we see during games but thats far from the big picture. It could simply be execution during games, could be the coaching or a combination of both. I just don't know.

I see some issues with his game.
he's coming too far out of his net on the angles. thats why we are seeing lots of those cross crease goals against us. our defence cant seem to read or break up that play either.
he's a big goalie he doesnt need to come out that far in those situations, he's sliding to far and puts himself out of the play.

Price needs to do a better job finding the puck through traffic and puck tracking in general.
Should drop his stick and use his blocker to pick-up or cover pucks more when its on the ice on his blocker side instead of reaching over with his glovehand. seems to have issues picking up covering pucks.
needs to incorporate a poke check into his game to use sometimes on players deking or cutting across.
could try and put his entire stick down in front of him on close in scrambles as well instead of staying in the standard butterfly.
needs to scramble better and try to get his body in from of shots in which he is out of position.

I think Price will be fine, times on his side. he's still very young and has much to learn.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
And my point is that most here weren't old enough to remember or not even born when Carbo was playing here.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 07:49 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I disagree. Those who saw Roy flourish as a Hab, also saw Carbo in his prime here.
There's only 3years separating their start with the big Club. They're from the same generation.

Carbo was very well respected and like as a player. He was a great leader. But Patrick Roy was our last Superstar. He's arguably THE best Goalie of all time in the world.
There's no way you can say Carbo is more popular than Roy here..maybe some like him better because of the way Roy left. But if we base ourselves on the jersey retirement night, most people seem to have turned the page.

You can't possibly think Roy wouldn't be more popular than Guy here.

That being said, I was more referring to the way our players would look at Roy, compared to the way they look at Carbo.
Roy has a lot more baggage than Carbo.
Not trying to take anything away from Carbo, it's just the status for both men was different.
Argument can be made for being the Patrick Roy of defensive offencemen, same with Gainey (just look at the Selkes). Unfortunately that isn't a glory position. Goalie in MTL is. Carbo was a silent hero and yes he WAS the captain. He has the heart of a champion as much as Roy does and I respect them equally.

People can question Carbo's coaching (even though I really think it's on the players and if this slide doesn't prove it, i dunno what does). It's silly to pit Carbo vs. Roy. That's like saying Koivu vs. Price. What's the point? I'm glad Roy has that respect for Carbo, they were teammates for those two cups. It seems Roy has been behaving very well and being helpful towards the club ever since his retirement and that's good. I think they can all work together. I'd love to see Roy WITH Carbo and Muller. Not choosing between them. I really don't know what Jarvis' role is... Melanson, well, Roy is > than him so yeah I can only hope that he would be the goalie coach, but hey, even Rollie has become part of the Habs family, sometimes you just can't cut a guy like that. Hopefully Roy gets arrested and gets his one call.

habtastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 04:33 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
And my point is that most here weren't old enough to remember or not even born when Carbo was playing here.
Your point does not make sense because most here weren't old enough to remember when either Roy or Carbonneau was playing here.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote