HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Poti: Verizon Center ice "an embarrassment"

Old
02-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Dream Big

vCash: 500
I looked up Abe Pollin on Wikipedia and this is what was there:

While the sports industry is full of astute business professionals, what distinguishes Irene and Abe Pollin from their peers is their commitment to social responsibility. They share a passionate need to give back to the community and have made helping people a way of life. Their philanthropic and humanitarian endeavors know no bias or boundaries, which is evident by the numerous public service and community organizations to which they selflessly devote enormous time and energy.

Abe Pollin serves as the Chairman of the Advisory Council, is Honorable Chairman of the Salvation Army’s Leadership Committee for Centers of Hope and Co-Chair of the Community Capital Campaign for N Street Village in the District. He is also the co-sponsor of the “I Have a Dream Foundation” and he personally guaranteed a college education for 55 students. Recent philanthropic endeavors of the Pollin’s have included the re-launch of the Abe’s Table program to feed the underserved in the DC community and financial sponsorship of Gilbert Arenas’ Gilbert Scores for Schools program, through which the Pollin’s donated $100 for every point that Arenas scored in select Wizards games during the 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons to a different Washington area school each game (a donation that exceeded $300,000 last season alone). Most recently, in August of 2008, the Pollin’s donated $1,000,000 to the Society for Progressive Supranuclear Palsy - CUREPSP - to establish a fund to support research in corticobasal degeneration (CBD) and to find the cause and cure for the rare neurological disease, a disease which Mr. Pollin was diagnosed with several years ago.

It sounds like he and his wife Irene are socially responsible. It surprises me that not wanting to spend money to improve the air conditioning or whatever it takes to make the necessary improvements would be the reason for not taking action. Especially if it is causing injury to players. I`m wondering if his age 85 and the neurological disease are incapacitating him from taking action.

Is he aware that there is a need.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
It sounds like he and his wife Irene are socially responsible.

I'm sorry to go off topic but I have to question this. What does it mean to be "socially responsible"? If a man enjoys the wealth he has earned without giving it all away to strangers is he socially irresponsible?

This isn't the place for the discussion (feel free to PM me) but I disagree fully with the idea that we have a social responsibility beyond leaving individuals free to live their lives how they see fit. Giving away your fortune is neither a virtue nor a vice.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:06 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I guess it could be argued that it shows you have compassion to your fellow man. Though it doesn't really mean that the person that doesnt share doesn't have compassion, they might help in other ways.

Not really too interested into getting into a philosophical debate on what virtues Abe has though so I'm done.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:10 PM
TheGoldenJet

If they don't get dehumidifiers before the temperature increase that comes with the playoffs, I'm going to scream.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:12 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

One virtue that Abe has is seeming immortality.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Kegger

vCash: 510

http://www.berg-group.com/ThermalMassAirDryer.htm

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:40 PM
nautikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
That's not meant for a building...

nautikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Kegger

vCash: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautikal View Post
That's not meant for a building...
Sorry.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
If they don't get dehumidifiers before the temperature increase that comes with the playoffs, I'm going to scream.
start warming up your vocal chords.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote