HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Roller Hockey Pants Vs. Ice Hockey Pants

Old
02-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Jake0617

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jake0617
Roller Hockey Pants Vs. Ice Hockey Pants

Ok so I have been doing some research into getting some roller hockey equipment because I plan on playing this fall at university. I love hockey but have never played organized or really had full equipment outside of skates, a basic stick, gloves and helmet. Anyways, I found that roller hockey pants are completely different than ice hockey pants. Can anyone tell me the difference between them? Obviously the design is different, but what are the main reasons for such a different design? To me the roller hockey pants just look like space pants or track suit pants...

Roller Hockey Pants:

Ice Hockey Pants:

Jake0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Nbr-17

For roller hockey you wear a girdle and pants which are less protective than ice hockey pants.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:14 PM
josra33

The above poster is correct. The roller hockey pants are a way to cover the girdle and shin guards in the same way that socks cover the shin pads in ice.

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Hyperkookeez*

girdle + roller hockey pants is a lot more breathable and easier to move in than ice hockey pants. roller hockey pants also last a lot longer than socks(albiet at a higher $$)

if your playing inline they'd definitely be the better choice

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:50 PM
RobertKron

Are there any companies that make roller hockey pants that don't look totally stupid?

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Hyperkookeez*

rbk and mission have solid black pants

and black biscuit has very bland looking pants

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:11 PM
RJC

i play roller and i hate wearing the pants, i used them for half a season and just had enough.. now i wear my inline girdle with a ice girdle shell with rbk edge socks, way better

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Jake0617

Send a message via AIM to Jake0617
So when you wear the rollerhockey pants, you also wear a girdle AND shin pads? It would seem as though the pants are gratuitous...

Jake0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:41 PM
RJC

yes you still wear a girdle and shin pads, the pants basically just cover everything

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 02:54 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperkookeez View Post
rbk and mission have solid black pants

and black biscuit has very bland looking pants
Cool. It was actually a serious question. I don't play roller, but every once in a while guys will come to drop-in with roller pants, and they're always unbelievably garish.

Old
02-11-2009, 04:26 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I never understood why the ice ones were called "pants"

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 07:52 AM
xstartxtodayx

I find it funny how roller hockey players use those long pants, they remind me of the old school cooperalls. The few times I played roller hockey and tried wearing them I hated them, they'd be baggy up top and then tight on the shins from the tape (b/c I'm not a fan of taping shinguards to my bare skin and ripping leg hair out to untape) they just never looked or felt right to me.

xstartxtodayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstartxtodayx View Post
I find it funny how roller hockey players use those long pants, they remind me of the old school cooperalls. The few times I played roller hockey and tried wearing them I hated them, they'd be baggy up top and then tight on the shins from the tape (b/c I'm not a fan of taping shinguards to my bare skin and ripping leg hair out to untape) they just never looked or felt right to me.
If you get a pair that fit right they are so much better than ice hockey pants. I actually use this setup on the ice as well, which I admit is a bit dangerous given that my girdle isn't quite as protective as the padding/armor in ice hockey pants. But I find that it's enough, and the tradeoff I get in maneuverability is well worth the risk in my opinion.

That said, you definitely stand out on the ice with this setup, and not always in a good way. Some guys have it out for roller hockey players who tend to be more individualistic and skilled with the puck. I know for a fact that I have taken a few hits/slashes because I look like a roller hockey player, but it's part of the game I guess.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:29 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
If you get a pair that fit right they are so much better than ice hockey pants. I actually use this setup on the ice as well, which I admit is a bit dangerous given that my girdle isn't quite as protective as the padding/armor in ice hockey pants. But I find that it's enough, and the tradeoff I get in maneuverability is well worth the risk in my opinion.

That said, you definitely stand out on the ice with this setup, and not always in a good way. Some guys have it out for roller hockey players who tend to be more individualistic and skilled with the puck. I know for a fact that I have taken a few hits/slashes because I look like a roller hockey player, but it's part of the game I guess.
The other way to get the mobility is to get a high end pair of regualr ice hockey pants. Look into High end tacklas, the mobility will surprise you, and you won't look like you came from the roller rink.

Quote:
So when you wear the rollerhockey pants, you also wear a girdle AND shin pads? It would seem as though the pants are gratuitous...
The pants keep your girdle from being torn to bits every time you fall and also hide your shins, and prevent friction burns if you fall and slide on an unprotected part of your leg. Besides, you would look really, really stupid without them.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Danglous

Ive been playing roller hockey for years and I dont think Ive met one person who wears a girdle underneath the pants.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:32 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
any Ice players here remember cooperalls?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperalls

same idea at roller hockey pants and girdle.
The bigest issue with cooperalls was if you fell down skating at 35 mph you hit the boards at 35 mph OUCH! no friction to slow you down.

I know a few guys who still use cooperalls for senior league and have seen them slide and bounce.

As for roller / inline hockey pants everyone I know (all 2 of them) use mission pants and girdles

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
I don't see why you guys hate on girdles. A high-end ice girdle is as protective as any retail pant out there.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 05:31 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by greech View Post
I don't see why you guys hate on girdles. A high-end ice girdle is as protective as any retail pant out there.
+1 on this. My brother bought a pro-level girdle + shell combo for ice hockey this season, I think it was the RBK 9k (http://www.hockeyx.com/hockey/produc...d=3051&s_id=0&).

I keep telling him he should buy a pair of inline pants, just to get that Cooperall look.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 06:13 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

If I ever need new breezers, I would consider a girdle and shell.
My breezers are very heavy but super protective. I stopped a slap shot with my arse last week and almost didn't know it. Way more than I think I'll ever need. untagged CCM pro return with great tailbone protection.
I think that a girdle and shell would be great protection and lighter but I don't play at a level that the weight will make that much of a difference.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:15 AM
xstartxtodayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Some guys have it out for roller hockey players who tend to be more individualistic and skilled with the puck.
The last part of that line really made me laugh I guess it may be true in low level ice leagues but I don't think it's a general thing, I know I've never seen that.

xstartxtodayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:34 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
any Ice players here remember cooperalls?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperalls

same idea at roller hockey pants and girdle.
The bigest issue with cooperalls was if you fell down skating at 35 mph you hit the boards at 35 mph OUCH! no friction to slow you down.

I know a few guys who still use cooperalls for senior league and have seen them slide and bounce.

As for roller / inline hockey pants everyone I know (all 2 of them) use mission pants and girdles
Oh wow... there are two older guys in the beer league I play for that wear those. I never really knew what they were until now though!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:47 PM
greyraven8

I know two guys that still wear cooperalls.

When I first started playing goalie in my 20's, I used a pair of cooperalls to which i sewed some rectangular padding on in the inside thighs - was okay for the level i was playing (pickup, scrub, whatever you want to call it). Eventually got a real pair of goalie pants.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Danglous

I wear roller hockey pants without the girdle, along with a ton of other people I know.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 06:45 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstartxtodayx View Post
The last part of that line really made me laugh I guess it may be true in low level ice leagues but I don't think it's a general thing, I know I've never seen that.
I'll often see roller convert guys at drop-in dekeing through players at 2mph because they haven't made the transition in their skating. It usually works until the defensemen get over the usual "it's drop in, I don't want to lean on anyone" mentality and play the body instead of fishing for the puck. It makes sense, since the lower contact levels in roller allow guys to have more time with the puck than in ice hockey, so it's not unreasonable to expect them to be more used to carrying the puck instead of making a quick pass and getting open again.

Old
02-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Downie View Post
I wear roller hockey pants without the girdle, along with a ton of other people I know.
Can you notice it? I hate wearing the girdle. I don't want to not wear it and people notice it.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote