HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Roller Hockey Pants Vs. Ice Hockey Pants

Old
02-14-2009, 04:34 AM
Danglous

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Can you notice it? I hate wearing the girdle. I don't want to not wear it and people notice it.
Honestly, ive played tons of pick up games and several roller leagues, and I dont think ive met one person who uses a girdle. Its not a rule, either.

Helmet with half shield (shield is optional, and I usually dont wear the helmet in pickup games)
Gloves
Knee/Shin pads
Jersey
Pants
Skates

is all I wear, along with pretty much everybody else. Some guys use elbow pads, but they get in the way. My one buddy wears ice hockey pants and shoulder pads, and we all make fun of him. I did buy a padded undershirt but never used it because it got in the way.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 06:47 AM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Downie View Post
Honestly, ive played tons of pick up games and several roller leagues, and I dont think ive met one person who uses a girdle. Its not a rule, either.

Helmet with half shield (shield is optional, and I usually dont wear the helmet in pickup games)
Gloves
Knee/Shin pads
Jersey
Pants
Skates

is all I wear, along with pretty much everybody else. Some guys use elbow pads, but they get in the way. My one buddy wears ice hockey pants and shoulder pads, and we all make fun of him. I did buy a padded undershirt but never used it because it got in the way.
Sure roller hockey is less of a contact type of hockey, but making fun of some one because they choose to be more protected? That's not very honorable.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Danglous

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
Sure roller hockey is less of a contact type of hockey, but making fun of some one because they choose to be more protected? That's not very honorable.
I didnt make fun of him for being more protected, I understood that he had a responsibility as the high school's ice hockey team captain and couldnt afford getting hurt in a recreational mens league game (although he did play rugby before games), we just made fun of him because he was dressed differently and looked completely different than everyone else on the rink

I gave him an extra pair of roller pants to replace his ice hockey pants, and he wore the roller hockey pants OVER the ice hockey pants, it looked so funny

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstartxtodayx View Post
The last part of that line really made me laugh I guess it may be true in low level ice leagues but I don't think it's a general thing, I know I've never seen that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW
I'll often see roller convert guys at drop-in dekeing through players at 2mph because they haven't made the transition in their skating. It usually works until the defensemen get over the usual "it's drop in, I don't want to lean on anyone" mentality and play the body instead of fishing for the puck. It makes sense, since the lower contact levels in roller allow guys to have more time with the puck than in ice hockey, so it's not unreasonable to expect them to be more used to carrying the puck instead of making a quick pass and getting open again.
That's pretty much all I was saying. Roller hockey is usually played 4 on 4, and there is far less "real" coaching available, so players tend to develop individual skills (read: hands) that are better than guys that grew up playing ice hockey. Poor skating certainly cancels out hand skills when first transitioning, though, so those superior hands in no way translate into being a better player. This is all besides the point of this thread though, wasn't trying to hijack.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote