HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: Halpern to San Jose / Prospal to Columbus (Per EE of TBO)

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Mr Underhill

vCash: 500
RUMOR: Halpern to San Jose / Prospal to Columbus (Per EE of TBO)

This rumor is from the Lightning's beat writer:

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sp...or-to-discuss/

What would the return be?

Old
02-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Sear91

vCash: 435
I would trade ALMOST anybody we have for Seto.. hes been a favorite of mine since last year... I REALLY wanted him in the Boyle deal, but now its too late

Not sure about these rumors though.. I'd trade Prospal straight up for Devin.. too bad its not enough.. Keep Halpern.

Old
02-12-2009, 11:08 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

hmmm interesting. For the jackets, I'm not sure who'd they give up, but if we deal Halpern to SJ, I would love to see Modin back in a Boltz jersey. From the Sharks, it could be Cheechoo. He's really fallen off these past 2 years since scoring 56 goals. Especially with a top 6 of Thornton, Marleau, Setoguchi, Clowe, Michalek, and Pavelski. I don't really have a clue though. SJ is one of the best teams in the NHL and Columbus is really starting to get it together for a playoff run, so it could very well be for picks and prospects.

I love both Halpern and Prospal, but if the right deal came around, I wouldn't mind trading them.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 02-12-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old
02-12-2009, 11:22 PM
paperclip maniac

why are the sharks going to do anything? they're winning. and what are we going to get from columbus? it's been a while since I've seen them play, but knowing this ownership and GM we'll trade prospal for backman and a 5th, hopefully that doesn't happen. maybe we can pawn malik off though...

Old
02-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
hmmm interesting. For the jackets, I'm not sure who'd they give up, but if we deal Halpern to SJ, I would love to see Modin back in a Boltz jersey. From the Sharks, it could be Cheechoo. He's really fallen off these past 2 years since scoring 56 goals. Especially with a top 6 of Thornton, Marleau, Setoguchi, Clowe, Michalek, and Pavelski. I don't really have a clue though. SJ is one of the best teams in the NHL and Columbus is really starting to get it together for a playoff run, so it could very well be for picks and prospects.

I love both Halpern and Prospal, but if the right deal came around, I wouldn't mind trading them.
yes...i would love to make that trade. that is a guy you take a chance on. His trade value is at an all time low but his ceiling is obviously very high.

This is the type of guy who can get a change of scenery and new team and rejuvenate his career. I would love to see him play with Stamkos.

Old
02-13-2009, 12:12 AM
IdealisticSniper

I just got off the phone with Lawton. He said we are doing:

Halpern for Setoguchi

and

Prospal for Filatov

Done and done.

Old
02-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
I just got off the phone with Lawton. He said we are doing:

Halpern for Setoguchi

and

Prospal for Filatov

Done and done.
Dude...can I get some of that acid your taking...

Old
02-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I can actually see Halpern to SJ happen more than Prospal to C-Bus.

The Sharks are clearly going for it this year and when a team does that, they tend to loosen up greatly over protecting their future to get whatever they feel they need now. I'd love to trade with them this year because we'll likely get a king's ransom in return.

Halpern is my favorite forward on the team, but if we were offered Setoguchi for him, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. I like Setoguchi's ceiling more than Cheechoo's.

I hadn't considered Prospal to Columbus. Vaclav is actually a very good center, which is something we forget with Vinny always in the middle.

Columbus would get their #1 center, but I don't see what we would get in return. I'd push for Umberger, but I don't think we'd get him in such a deal.

Old
02-13-2009, 08:48 AM
paperclip maniac

I don't how much Huselius makes, but I bet if you put him on a line with Stamkos, I can see him getting 15-20 goals this year. Huselius can pass

Old
02-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclip maniac View Post
Huselius can pass
I'll pass on Huselius.

Old
02-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
No thanks on Huselius, he is way too streaky

02-13-2009, 12:35 PM
paperclip maniac

streaky? I'm just saying Stamkos needs a setup man, the blue jackets probably wouldn't trade him anyways...just thinking out loud

Old
02-13-2009, 02:20 PM
peanutvendor

the only good thing that could come out of trading halpern, other than possibly setoguchi, is that stamkos would get to play 2nd line minutes. i would be down for cheechoo+a pick too, if he reinvigorates his career that would be a steal.

i think prospal moving would be a bad idea. we know he is an inconsistent player, that has been his career. he signed here because he wanted to. and his inconsistency year came with lecavalier not being 100%, and the team overall having woes. next year prospal should be what he was last year if history holds true, and with the team hopefully building on the decent play they have been showing lately and lecavalier going into next season 100%, the mvp line should(read hopefully) reign again.

Old
02-13-2009, 02:23 PM
gobolt7

I would beg borrow and steal to get Cheechoo in a Lightning jersey. As stated above, a change of scenary could do him wonders.

Old
02-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Sear91

vCash: 435
Seto > Cheech without a doubt... I would, however, trade Halpern for Cheechoo in a heartbeat.

Old
02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
gobolt7

I doubt they trade Seto for Halpern straight up, and I am not really big on the idea of moving out any of our draft picks right now...

Old
02-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I wouldn't want to move any top 2 round draft picks, but 3rd and below can be given away like candy if it gets us Setoguchi. The statistical likelyhood of a player picked the 3rd or below ever actually playing a single game in the NHL is slim. Zetterberg's do sneak in, but they are the exception.

Plumbers are plentiful and therefore cheap, so I wouldn't stress too much about stockpiling them in the pipeline.

Trading picks for players, Seto in this case, is a much more safe bet.

Old
02-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Rickety Cricket

I posted this in another thread. The blogger said the Sharks scout was watching the Lightning vs the Pens and Lightning vs the Thrashers. The Sharks often send scouts to games of teams that they are going to play soon to prepare for those games. The Sharks played Pitt Wednesday and the Thrashers on the 21st. I really think it was just game-scouting and it was a coincidence that both games happened to be against the Lightning.

Old
02-13-2009, 04:53 PM
matt trick

Sorry guys Seto is going nowhere. He is a 21 year-old on pace for around 70 points and fits our teams game plan perfectly (speed, size, and lots of shots). However, the most important part of Seto is his price tag. He is signed for this year and next for 1.2 million. Of all the players with more points than him, I would bet he is the cheapest (except for maybe Krejci). Given the Sharks cap situation, there is no chance Seto goes anywhere.

The only Lightning player San Jose would move Seto for is Vinnie, and that would be impossible because of his cap hit. St. Louis obviously is a better player, but his contract status also makes this a no go (not only is he 4 times the cost, he is also 10 years older). Obviously, Stamkos, Ranger, and your 1st would draw interest but San Jose's top 6 d-men are solid enough to win a cup, so Ranger isn't worth Seto. Stamkos and the 1st should be untouchable.

However, with Goc getting injured and Torrey Mitchell suffering a setback the Sharks have very well could believe they need a 3rd line center. Given Halpern's cap hit, abilities, leadership, and likely dislike for Dallas, he would be an excellent fit. Unfortunately, as I already mentioned the Sharks have cap issues next year and would likely not be able to afford a 2 million dollar 3rd line center, when Mitchell, Clowe, and a top 4 d-man (Blake or replacement) are signed. It is likely Cheechoo+ will need to be moved for Clowe's new contract, so Halpern also would need to be moved.

All in all moving a roster player for Halpern just doesn't make a lot of sense. And moving picks/ prospects doesn't do much for SJ cap situation.

Old
02-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Sorry guys Seto is going nowhere. He is a 21 year-old on pace for around 70 points and fits our teams game plan perfectly (speed, size, and lots of shots). However, the most important part of Seto is his price tag. He is signed for this year and next for 1.2 million. Of all the players with more points than him, I would bet he is the cheapest (except for maybe Krejci). Given the Sharks cap situation, there is no chance Seto goes anywhere.
Quite understandable, I really love Halpy and all what he brings to the game, but from a Sharks point of view Seto is worth much more than so (even if we would toss in something more).

Old
02-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Frankly the sharks would be stupid to move Seto for Halpen, really ****ing stupid at that, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't love the deal - it'd be a steal for us.

I'd take a prospect forward and a pick, perhaps. Or maybe just a prospect that is scratching the NHL.

Old
02-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Gilligans Island

Sharks fan.. Halpern could be a great addition for the Sharks (especially if Mitchell isn't effective for the playoffs).

But.. no way Seto is being dealt. How about something along the lines of Cheechoo, Tomas Plihal or Lukas Kaspar?

Old
02-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks junkie View Post
Sharks fan.. Halpern could be a great addition for the Sharks (especially if Mitchell isn't effective for the playoffs).

But.. no way Seto is being dealt. How about something along the lines of Cheechoo, Tomas Plihal or Lukas Kaspar?
Kasper was on waivers this season. We wouldn't trade a valuable roster player for a guy that was passed over already. I wouldn't mind doing a trash-trade for him though.

Plihal isn't any extraordinary talent. I certainly wouldn't build a deal around him. Players of his caliber are a dime a dozen, maybe as a throw-in.

Cheechoo has some value, but I've never bought into the hype. He reminds me of Viktor Kozlov. A few standout seasons that gets fans all worked up over him, but it doesn't come together consistently enough.

Tampa would suffer a huge drop in defensive ability with a Halpern/Cheechoo trade. That's definitely not needed right now.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 02-14-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Closed Thread