HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sore adductors, game tomorrow night! help

Old
02-14-2009, 09:07 AM
koh19

vCash: 500
Sore adductors, game tomorrow night! help

Got really sore adductors, they've been this way for 2 days now. I've got a really important game tomorrow night. What can I do to be in tiptop shape?

thanks

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Semper Sens

Just to make sure, adductors are inner thigh muscles right?

Are they sore from skating too hard/working out?

Whenever I have muscle soreness in my thighs from skating I do three stretches multiple times through out the day, holding each movement for about 15 seconds each time, for 3 reps. The stretches are as follows (I don't know the "real" name for any of them) :

1. You can do this one next to a wall or table to hold on to for balance. While standing, raise your knee and then grab it and pull it towards your chest. This, I believe, stretches your hips.

2. Do the whole grab your foot and try and touch it to your posterior. This is pretty common so I think you probably know what it is. This one really stretches the thigh.

3. Try and touch your toes.

Of these stretches, I think only number 2 stretches your thigh (adductors?) but I do all of them normally. Immediately after doing the stretches you should fell alot looser. Do them as often as possible up until around 20 minutes before game time (I don't know why but I've always been told static stretching is bad if its too close to game time.)

Good luck!

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 10:06 AM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
Just to make sure, adductors are inner thigh muscles right?

Are they sore from skating too hard/working out?

Whenever I have muscle soreness in my thighs from skating I do three stretches multiple times through out the day, holding each movement for about 15 seconds each time, for 3 reps. The stretches are as follows (I don't know the "real" name for any of them) :

1. You can do this one next to a wall or table to hold on to for balance. While standing, raise your knee and then grab it and pull it towards your chest. This, I believe, stretches your hips.

2. Do the whole grab your foot and try and touch it to your posterior. This is pretty common so I think you probably know what it is. This one really stretches the thigh.

3. Try and touch your toes.

Of these stretches, I think only number 2 stretches your thigh (adductors?) but I do all of them normally. Immediately after doing the stretches you should fell alot looser. Do them as often as possible up until around 20 minutes before game time (I don't know why but I've always been told static stretching is bad if its too close to game time.)

Good luck!

thanks!

yes, they're sore because I had a game on Thursday and we were only 2 lines! I played one of the hardest games of my life. The emotion was so intense I didn't feel my legs hurting until the next morning.

Old
02-14-2009, 10:21 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Ice, Ice, and more ice!

Keep them Iced and use an anti-inflammatory Tylenol, Motrin, Aleave, of your chose.

Before the game make sure you have Tylenol in you an hour before you skate.
As well get compression pants or a compression Jock. I use a Shock Dr compression jock and it makes a huge difference if I skate more than twice a week.

Start iceing NOW!

when you have the time (now is not a good time) you might want to have your skates profiled a bit more forward. That helped my skating and got my foot in a better position. I have less issue with my adductors (Groin pulls) now

Good luck, and I feel for you man.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 11:33 AM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
Ice, Ice, and more ice!

Keep them Iced and use an anti-inflammatory Tylenol, Motrin, Aleave, of your chose.

Before the game make sure you have Tylenol in you an hour before you skate.
As well get compression pants or a compression Jock. I use a Shock Dr compression jock and it makes a huge difference if I skate more than twice a week.

Start iceing NOW!

when you have the time (now is not a good time) you might want to have your skates profiled a bit more forward. That helped my skating and got my foot in a better position. I have less issue with my adductors (Groin pulls) now

Good luck, and I feel for you man.
thanks man! So do I just put ice packs or what?

Old
02-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Arselona

HGH, man

J/K, stay clean

Arselona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 12:02 PM
EmptyNetter

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm

Basically the soreness shouldn't affect your playing but you will be uncomfortable for the next few days. Drink plenty of water, use ice and ibuprofin as necessary. Cautions about ice -- never leave it in one spot for a prolonged period of time. You can actually get frostbite in extreme situations. Also ice slows blood flow to the affected area. Your blood is trying to bring nutrients and carry away waste -- in other words the throbbing pain is a good thing. Light stretching might help (allows greater blood flow to your legs) and avoid stressing your adductors if possible until your game.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 12:41 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm

Basically the soreness shouldn't affect your playing but you will be uncomfortable for the next few days. Drink plenty of water, use ice and ibuprofin as necessary. Cautions about ice -- never leave it in one spot for a prolonged period of time. You can actually get frostbite in extreme situations. Also ice slows blood flow to the affected area. Your blood is trying to bring nutrients and carry away waste -- in other words the throbbing pain is a good thing. Light stretching might help (allows greater blood flow to your legs) and avoid stressing your adductors if possible until your game.
thanks man!

Old
02-14-2009, 01:06 PM
LarryO

In that link above it says "Allow the soreness to subside thoroughly before performing any vigorous exercise." I'm no expert but with that soreness comes stiffness, and stiffness would mean a greater risk of pulling or tearing a muscle so be careful.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 03:08 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

never stretch when you're sore, it won't help at all. It will only inhibit the pain signal to get to your brain for a very limited time period and it won't help the recovery at all. If you want to stretch, don't do it when it's sore.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Semper Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
never stretch when you're sore, it won't help at all. It will only inhibit the pain signal to get to your brain for a very limited time period and it won't help the recovery at all. If you want to stretch, don't do it when it's sore.
Oops, my bad then. I always thought stretching was good for sore muscles because it brought blood to the affected area (although I never understood how stretching promotes blood flow).

Regardless, if you are playing at a low level (I have no idea what level you are playing at) I don't think it should really bother your game. The last time I hurt my thighs from playing, I had a really hard time walking but I could skate just fine. Biggest problems were flinging out my leg behind me when striding and I trying to close my legs too quickly when an opposing player was trying to slip a puck through them.

Out of curiosity, what do you find hurts more right now: Going up a hill or going down a hill?

Old
02-14-2009, 04:49 PM
koh19

Quote:
Oops, my bad then. I always thought stretching was good for sore muscles because it brought blood to the affected area (although I never understood how stretching promotes blood flow).

Regardless, if you are playing at a low level (I have no idea what level you are playing at) I don't think it should really bother your game. The last time I hurt my thighs from playing, I had a really hard time walking but I could skate just fine. Biggest problems were flinging out my leg behind me when striding and I trying to close my legs too quickly when an opposing player was trying to slip a puck through them.

Out of curiosity, what do you find hurts more right now: Going up a hill or going down a hill?
lol. Just went up and down some stairs. I'd say going up hill... why?

Old
02-14-2009, 08:09 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I swear by Aleve and the heating pad. Yah, I know, your Grandma uses a heating pad, but it will work...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 09:53 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
No offense but you haven't given a reason why it's bad to stretch when you're sore. Care to explain?

Old
02-14-2009, 10:35 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
I just did some heavy looking around online but could only find articles like this one (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/heal...ss/4286612.stm) that say it does increase blood flow to the affected area but not why. Maybe a stretched muscle has a thinner outer membrane or there's more space between the muscle fibers so the capillaries carrying blood and oxygen have better and more thorough access?

Quote:
Regardless, if you are playing at a low level (I have no idea what level you are playing at) I don't think it should really bother your game.
That's my feeling, too. FWIW I overdid it yesterday (Friday) -- light jogging and doing (soccer) place kicks with both legs. Legs are sore but there's no indication of injury. I'm doing some light stretching of my quadriceps (not extending too far or holding the stretch for too long), drinking extra water and I did some stick handling drills in the basement earlier today. I fully intend to play hockey tomorrow night and have little concern that my current condition puts me at greater risk of injury.

To the OP -- I hope you have a deeper bench tomorrow.

Old
02-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Semper Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
lol. Just went up and down some stairs. I'd say going up hill... why?
I was just wondering if others experienced the same.

Where I go to school we have lots of tunnels with hills. Last time my thighs were sore from skating, I found it really difficult to go down the hills, as opposed to up them. I wasn't really sure what it meant at the time. I just found that going down required more pressure quickly (when slowing your body then suddenly needing no pressure as you bring your leg forward, then pressure again, repeat . . .) as opposed to going up the same hill when the work was slower and more steady.

Old
02-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
That has to be one of the funniest things I've read on this forum.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:25 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
thanks man! So do I just put ice packs or what?
How ever you feel most comfortable icing it. I bought a big pad that can go in the in the microwave or freezer. I keep it in the freezer.

All the goalies I play with swear by Ice and never use heat unless the damage is going to keep them off the crease for more than one or two games. So far so good.

As for frostbite from icing you would have to be completely stupid to leave that much ice on your leg for the time it would take to actual cause frostbite or have ice in direct contact with your skin for that long. Heck the pain from frostbite should be enough to make you move the ice, and body heat will melt the ice or heat up the pad to the point that no frostbite should occur.

I did google "frostbite from icing" and it appears that their are a few folks that don't take pain as a warning.

Old
02-16-2009, 09:14 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
As for frostbite from icing you would have to be completely stupid to leave that much ice on your leg for the time it would take to actual cause frostbite or have ice in direct contact with your skin for that long. Heck the pain from frostbite should be enough to make you move the ice, and body heat will melt the ice or heat up the pad to the point that no frostbite should occur.

I did google "frostbite from icing" and it appears that their are a few folks that don't take pain as a warning.
No offense meant -- I just wanted to add a qualifier to your statement. A local woman (over 50 y/o) had (I think) a sprained ankle. Her husband had her immerse her foot in ice water where it stayed for 2 hours or so and she got frostbite as a result. Yes, it was painful but she gritted her teeth and kept it in -- she was probably never told why ice was used, what it does for a sprain or what the proper limits are for exposure.

Old
02-16-2009, 10:10 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
No offense meant -- I just wanted to add a qualifier to your statement. A local woman (over 50 y/o) had (I think) a sprained ankle. Her husband had her immerse her foot in ice water where it stayed for 2 hours or so and she got frostbite as a result. Yes, it was painful but she gritted her teeth and kept it in -- she was probably never told why ice was used, what it does for a sprain or what the proper limits are for exposure.
No offense but that woman is dumb as a stump! Even my little boy complains and moves away from pain.

A little common scene goes a long way when it comes to pain.