HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Price and the Olympics

Old
02-15-2009, 02:46 PM
sensjunkie

vCash: 500
Price and the Olympics

Hello all im a big Carey Price fan i was just wondering if he will make the olympic team as the third goalie or should, or will they go with Steve Mason...thanks..

sensjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjunkie View Post
Hello all im a big Carey Price fan i was just wondering if he will make the olympic team as the third goalie or should, or will they go with Steve Mason...thanks..
I think that a couple of other Goalie have a step ahead of him: Leclaire, Fernandez, Ward, Fleury and Giguère. And i'm just saying that they would get a shot before him on an international competition. I'm not talking about talent or value.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:54 PM
3TB3*

3rd goalie? might soon be habs 3rd goalie let alone canada's.

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Too soon to say, isn't it? I mean, if you were picking the team right now, of course he wouldn't even be close to being on it. But there are a lot of crucial games left this season, and they ought to wait until well into next season before deciding which guys to carry.

Personally, based on my own personal sour All-Star Game grapes, I'd be happy enough if there are no Habs on any Olympic teams at all.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:55 PM
HotHabsFan*

Steve Mason has this all locked up if Luongo keeps playing like he is now !!!

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:57 PM
BoNeS42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
3rd goalie? might soon be habs 3rd goalie let alone canada's.
Yah bro you're ****ing right, when the Habs let the other team score 7 goals and cant score more then 2, its Price fault.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:58 PM
MonacoBlue

I wouldn't pick either Mason or Price. It should be either Turco or Giguere. Despite their less than stellar seasons, those two are a lot more proven that Mason or Price and have a lot more experience. No need to throw either young goalie to the wolves (Canadian Olympic hockey on Canadian soil....talk about pressure!)

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Up until the ASG, he had a shot but not anymore. From a Habs' fan's point of view, I think it's a good thing.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:00 PM
BoNeS42

I don't think that Carey was ever in the plan of Team Canada anyway... They have Brodeur/Luongo, and just need 1 more to stay on the bench 24/7...

Old
02-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Namso

well i'm guessing they'll announce around nov-dec this year, with decisions probably made in october.

Therefore, the only way Price has a chance is if he has a great playoff run. Otherwise forget it...

My guess? He probably wont make it.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Up until the ASG, he had a shot but not anymore. From a Habs' fan's point of view, I think it's a good thing.
Holy over reacting batman.

He's in one helluva slump, but if he gets his game going again, this is two weeks of bad play... No one will even remember it.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
Yah bro you're ****ing right, when the Habs let the other team score 7 goals and cant score more then 2, its Price fault.
Halak managed to stop 46shots or something like that. Price hasn't done this once so far this season.

Our D is playing badly due to the poor defensive direction they get from the coaches, but it doesn't explain why Carey is very shaky, let's in weak goals, seem to look for the puck after every shot, etc.

Halak has looked much better than Carey as of late.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:04 PM
TheCH*

Crosby was left off the roster at the 06 Olympics because of lack of experience so I can't see Mason or Price making it for that reason. Although maybe they learned from their mistake of "experience first" because leaving Crosby and Eric Staal out was ****ing stupid!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:05 PM
3TB3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
no, when he cant put his glove over a puck under him or the display in last years playoffs, yes he will soon be the habs 3rd goalie , i mean hamilton's first goalie if he continues this way. he again like last year appears shaken. but i do agree the defensive play of the team in front of him that allows over 40 shots a game many of them excellent scoring chances has done this to him. and before you say he didnt face over 40 shots vs. edmonton, he did face 14 in the 1st period and allowed 4 goals. 14 shot average would have been over 40. that game was over after the first period. he really should have been pulled there.

Old
02-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Crosby was left off the roster at the 06 Olympics because of lack of experience so I can't see Mason or Price making it for that reason. Although maybe they learned from their mistake of "experience first" because leaving Crosby and Eric Staal out was ****ing stupid!
Well, it's different for goalies. There is a school of thought that the team should make the 3rd goalie a kid, so he gets used to the experience and is happy to be there. The worry is if you bring a 3rd like say, Turco, he'll be pissed he's not #1 or #2. Whereas someone like Price or Mason can see that they need to wait their turn.

Ultimately, we're talking about whether Price gets to hang out with an all-star team and get some good seats for two weeks next February or whether he goes to Mexico. Odds are that all three goalies stay healthy. And even if one gets hurt, the third won't come in unless things go terribly wrong.

Old
02-15-2009, 03:11 PM
JrHockeyFan

for my money luongo and Brodeur have to play themselves out of a chance at starting. they are one and two. take your pick

Mason's stock is way up and deservedly so. i've watched this kid play a lot behind some very bad defenses and he still manages to get good numbers and wins. He is not a fluke

Price has hit a rough patch but let's be fair here. Not much is working in Habs land right now. You can't focus too much on one month of a 21 year old's career

These young guys are in strong for that number three spot which I think will always go to the best young player to get his feet wet. Right now mason has the edge but that could change this spring. But mason is one of those "bend but don't break" types which works to his advantage. His rebound control is something I have always considered his best strength. Being a right handed catcher i think also messes up shooters

ward? turco? jsg? etc will only have a shot if 1 or 2 fail. Putting those guys in a three spot is wasting a chance to develop the next guy

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:13 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Well, it's different for goalies. There is a school of thought that the team should make the 3rd goalie a kid, so he gets used to the experience and is happy to be there. The worry is if you bring a 3rd like say, Turco, he'll be pissed he's not #1 or #2. Whereas someone like Price or Mason can see that they need to wait their turn.

Ultimately, we're talking about whether Price gets to hang out with an all-star team and get some good seats for two weeks next February or whether he goes to Mexico. Odds are that all three goalies stay healthy. And even if one gets hurt, the third won't come in unless things go terribly wrong.
Well there were no kids last time. Brodeur, Luongo and Turco.

Old
02-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Clumsyhab

Brodeur and Luongo are locked. 3rd goalie can still be anyone: Turco, Giguere, Fleury, Mason, Smith, Fernandez, Ward, Theodore, etc. If any of them wins Cup this year, I guess he got his spot as the 3rd goalie. As we speak right now, I think Mason is the front runner followed by Giguere, FLeury, Ward and Price.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:27 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
you're right!

price is playing with confidence has a great glove hand , i've never seen him or for that matter any goalie ever play better than he is now as he also did against the flyers in last years series.
he is in a slump sir, he will regain his confidence trust me. the timing for his confidence regain will be amazing. just watch when he hits his peak right around playoff time.

Old
02-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Habs

If the opposing countries spot us 6 goals, I think he has a chance.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:28 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Brodeur and Luongo are locked. 3rd goalie can still be anyone: Turco, Giguere, Fleury, Mason, Smith, Fernandez, Ward, Theodore, etc. If any of them wins Cup this year, I guess he got his spot as the 3rd goalie. As we speak right now, I think Mason is the front runner followed by Giguere, FLeury, Ward and Price.
i am not so sure Brodeur will be playing for team Canada in 2010 !

Old
02-15-2009, 03:29 PM
3TB3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
he is in a slump sir, he will regain his confidence trust me. the timing for his confidence regain will be amazing. just watch when he hits his peak right around playoff time.
i hope you're right

Old
02-15-2009, 03:32 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
i am not so sure Brodeur will be playing for team Canada in 2010 !
He will, its only 12 months away!

Old
02-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Well there were no kids last time. Brodeur, Luongo and Turco.
I said school of thought, not total thought.

Although, I would argue four years ago there were no phenom prospects like there are now. Cam Ward, maybe, but now there is Mason, Price, Fleury, etc. Any could be the heir apparent.

Old
02-15-2009, 03:46 PM
BoNeS42

It might take a while until Fleury get his spot back in canada team lol