HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs drop to 1-3 in this road trip.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Pascal

vCash: 500
you know it's bad when people start to blame Timmins.. of all people.

people forget so fast the team we had 5 yrs ago don't they? or they're simply new fans who jumped on board last yr and now expect a cup this season.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Spectaculard
On your knees, Lucy

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
yes one
Although it was just one shot, anyone else notice how he agrresively he came out and challenged whoever it was that shot? He was way out of the circle when he made the save. Hopefully its a sign that he's finally getting his game back.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kosteegin View Post
They've also drafted guys like Lapierre, White, Latendresse, Yemelin, Torp, Valentenko, Wyman, D'Agostini and Greg Stewart for example who are guys who can play with some grit in their game. Timmins and his staff have done a great job in drafting the team it has been coaching who haven't used players properly and Gainey has done a questionable job surrounding these drafted players.
You have to wonder where the problem is. Other teams are finding and developing players into PPG players. The question is why can't Montreal? Is it development or drafting?

Its tough watching guys like Parise, Getzlaf, Roy, Pominville etc etc turning into stars while Montreal guys plateau. Is it average drafting or average development or both.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
A great job? I don't think so. I can't believe you mentioned guys like Stewart, White and Wyman. Every team in the NHL has prospects like them.

Timmins gets WAY too much credit around here.
oh good lord now we're on timmins' back?
wow

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:11 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

people forget so fast the team we had 5 yrs ago don't they? or they're simply new fans who jumped on board last yr and now expect a cup this season.
Exactly.

We have had one of the best farm systems for the past 3-4 years because of that guy, and most of our roster players have come from him as well.

I think its time to make him our next GM like Shero and Chiarelli. They did the same route as Timmins and have proven they can GM, Chiarelli more so.

We need young blood and someone who isn't a former Hab.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:12 AM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

timmins is the only person who is doing his job. gainey can be given credit but i would not say he has been very successful.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
You have to wonder where the problem is. Other teams are finding and developing players into PPG players. The question is why can't Montreal? Is it development or drafting?

Its tough watching guys like Parise, Getzlaf, Roy, Pominville etc etc turning into stars while Montreal guys plateau. Is it average drafting or average development or both.
I think it is average development. the strategy seems to be to draft players and turn them all into versatile 3rd liners or 3rd pairing dmen. Taking guys like Chipchura and Fischer in the first round was ludicrous.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Exactly.

We have had one of the best farm systems for the past 3-4 years because of that guy, and most of our roster players have come from him as well.

I think its time to make him our next GM like Shero and Chiarelli. They did the same route as Timmins and have proven they can GM, Chiarelli more so.

We need young blood and someone who isn't a former Hab.
I am not blaming him, just saying he's not the genius people make him out to be.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
They've also drafted guys like Lapierre, White, Latendresse, Yemelin, Torp, Valentenko, Wyman, D'Agostini and Greg Stewart for example who are guys who can play with some grit in their game. Timmins and his staff have done a great job in drafting the team it has been coaching who haven't used players properly and Gainey has done a questionable job surrounding these drafted players.
You also have ballorina like:

Maxwell
Locke
Grabovski
Johnson
Kishel
Carle
Cepek
Mikus
Aubin
D'agostini
S.Kostitsyn(to some extent)
Streit(I know he was the best player here but he was still not considered physical)
Urquhart
O'byrne (soft giant)
Danny Stewart
Mark Flood

Like I said he can get some nice hockey players but I dont like the mold!

I would like us to still grab good hockey players but just bigger/tougher ones.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:13 AM
LastRide

I think Timmons gives Bob a list of players he likes. Then its up to Bob to decide which one's to go with it. I don't believe its Timmons telling Bob what players to take out of the list. Guy/coach might be involved to some extent.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:16 AM
Jeffrey

I have been a fan of this team for a very long time and i've watched the likes of Jason Ward,Terry Ryan, Matt Higgins, David Wilkie of this world !

but at the same time I truly respect Timmins and his work but I would like him to get more size or at worst grit !

Old
02-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post

Maxwell
Locke
Grabovski
Johnson
Kishel
Carle
Cepek
Mikus
Aubin
D'agostini
Streit(I know he was the best player here but he was still not considered physical)
Urquhart
O'byrne (soft giant)
Danny Stewart
Mark Flood

Those are all late round picks. What the hell do you expect? We're not going to find some big Milan Lucic type of guy every year in the late rounds. I'd rather Timmins take skilled players later in the draft who have a chance at making the NHL (which some of the guys you have mentioned have done) than some big plugs who can't skate.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Garo

Quote:
but at the same time I truly respect Timmins and his work but I would like him to get more size or at worst grit !
His smallest first round pick is McDonagh. And no, I don't think he had much to do in picking Andrei, though it wasn't as bad as some make it out to be.

Timmins seems to go for talent later, and that's fine. Complete package are nearly impossible to find in the later rounds.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post

It has to do a lot with the players brought in to play with these kids as well.

Parise gets to play with Elias, Gionta, Zajac and others. Getzlaf with Perry, Selanne, Andy McDonald/Penner when there and Pronger and Niedermeyer on D too. Roy and Pominville with Drury and Briere, Vanek, Campbell...the supporting cast plays a big role.

We keep putting them with our players who are aging and losing a step. No disrespect to Lang either, but we need Vinnie's and/or high calibre players to play with these kids as well. One or two players with some skill can't do it on their own, look at Carter/Richards in Philly with Gagne, Briere, Lupal, Upshall, Hartnell, Knuble and others...the supporting cast is stonger both ways (especially offensively) than Kostopolous, Laroque, Begin, Dandenault, Lapierre...what do you expect?

Old
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
I think Timmons gives Bob a list of players he likes. Then its up to Bob to decide which one's to go with it. I don't believe its Timmons telling Bob what players to take out of the list. Guy/coach might be involved to some extent.
No. Timmins gets the last call, not Gainey.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I'm starting to think Carbonneau doesn't know what the hell he is doing.
You just noticed that...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:21 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
His smallest first round pick is McDonagh. And no, I don't think he had much to do in picking Andrei, though it wasn't as bad as some make it out to be.

Timmins seems to go for talent later, and that's fine. Complete package are nearly impossible to find in the later rounds.
he should go for talent early, as this team has been lacking top end talent for some time.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
he should go for talent early, as this team has been lacking top end talent for some time.
Price, Pacioretty and McDonagh aren't talented? God, two of those guys were picked two freaking years ago and one is already playing well for us, what do you expect?

Since 2005, you can't really single out a bad pick in the second either.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:23 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:

Maxwell
Locke
Grabovski
Johnson
Kishel
Carle
Cepek
Mikus
Aubin
D'agostini
Urquhart
O'byrne (soft giant)
Danny Stewart
Mark Flood

You want to get that star player we need the draft position we had in the days of getting Ward and Ryan. We had that we would be drafting in the top 10 and getting better high talent players, not 10 -25 position picks where the talent slips off and then it becomes more of a crap shoot and hope for the best.

We have drafted really well, and for people to question that I think it is crazy.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Those are all late round picks. What the hell do you expect? We're not going to find some big Milan Lucic type of guy every year in the late rounds. I'd rather Timmins take skilled players later in the draft who have a chance at making the NHL (which some of the guys you have mentioned have done) than some big plugs who can't skate.
ok lets talk about our 1st picks

Chipchura (grit yes, poor hockey player) Mike Green anyone?
Kostitsyn(good player yes, physical ...? when he feels it ) Getzlaf or Carter maybe?
Fischer (gritty ? ) Berglund would look nice down the middle
Price (goaltender so its unimportant)
McDonagh(not bad but still a big ?)
Pacioretty(loves him and was very high on him before the draft. Would love if he could make pay the opponent more with crushing hits)

Very good talent evaluator indeed but he needs to target size or toughness more !

Again for the fifth time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I respect his nose for good hockey players !!! We need size somewhere tough !

Old
02-16-2009, 01:26 AM
DaHabMan

im starting to jump on the fire carbo bandwagon here, we need someone who has structure and can implement a fast aggressive system that suits our team very well. New coach, keep kirky, give jarvis a position in management and hire a defensive coach.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Price, Pacioretty and McDonagh aren't talented? God, two of those guys were picked two freaking years ago and one is already playing well for us, what do you expect?

Since 2005, you can't really single out a bad pick in the second either.
with the exception of Price, none of those guys are going to be top end talents. Not a single one. You won't be winning titles by icing 3 lines of good 2 way players with no gamebreakers.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:32 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
It has to do a lot with the players brought in to play with these kids as well.

Parise gets to play with Elias, Gionta, Zajac and others. Getzlaf with Perry, Selanne, Andy McDonald/Penner when there and Pronger and Niedermeyer on D too. Roy and Pominville with Drury and Briere, Vanek, Campbell...the supporting cast plays a big role.

We keep putting them with our players who are aging and losing a step. No disrespect to Lang either, but we need Vinnie's and/or high calibre players to play with these kids as well. One or two players with some skill can't do it on their own, look at Carter/Richards in Philly with Gagne, Briere, Lupal, Upshall, Hartnell, Knuble and others...the supporting cast is stonger both ways (especially offensively) than Kostopolous, Laroque, Begin, Dandenault, Lapierre...what do you expect?
I guess that falls in with development and not putting youth in positions to succeed. Having the appropriate cast of players to support youth.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:33 AM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I think it is average development. the strategy seems to be to draft players and turn them all into versatile 3rd liners or 3rd pairing dmen. Taking guys like Chipchura and Fischer in the first round was ludicrous.

LOL i said it since day one... now you people are starting to just realized ?! Kyle Chipchura is the worst 1st round pick in the years 2000's... David Fischer remains to be seen, but he looks more like a future David Wilkie than a Peter Svoboda...

Mr. Chipchura is in the same category as thoses garbages: Terry ryan, Matt Higgins, Turner Stevenson, Brad Brown, Brent Bilodeau, Eric Chouinard, etc.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:36 AM
LastRide

I don't know what the heck kind of system Carbo is implementing. The Habs play some kind of dump and chase. Then they play the puck along the boards back and forth. Three guys chase the puck behind the net. One gets it and nobody to feed it to in front. The defenseman fire the puck off the boards, off the glass, fire it down the ice for no reason at all. Passing it to nobody. When you watch the Habs they look completely lost out there. It looks like every man for themselves. Its also obvious the talent is not there. Bad chemistry, soft players, poor goatending on occassion, poor work ethic, ect., ect., ect.,

Last edited by LastRide: 02-16-2009 at 01:41 AM.
LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote