HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stl/van

Old
02-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyesinBlue View Post
Can we at least point out the fact that Tkachuk has a NTC and probably won't waive it this season with the Blues still picking up points to pretend they're in the playoff race... and even if they did spiral back down to reality he'd still say no to Vancouver as a destination.
1. What's pretentious about being six points out of a playoff spot with more than a quarter of the season left to play, and most of your remaining games head-to-head with the teams you have to pass to get there?

2. Why do you assume Tkachuk would unconditionally say "no" to Vancouver as a destination?

In the first place, Vancouver has put together a pretty decent team with a real chance at making some noise in the playoffs this year. Most guys would look at a trade to Vancouver as a chance to take a pretty good, long playoff run.

In the second place, have you ever been to Vancouver? It's a beautiful city with every amenity you could want, a great place to raise kids (especially if you want them to play hockey), and I'd move there in about ten seconds if my wife was willing to give up her US citizenship...

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Gaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
Yes a fourth rounder & all wrapped up as a free gift to the Blues. Tkachuk has made it clear he likes to play for the Blues. Unless a team is going to throw stupid money at him to sign next season, Tkachuk is either going to retire or come right back to the Blues. What do you expect another team to pay for just a couple of months use of Tkachuk - the team's franchise players for the next 30 years?
I would bet more than the farm on the blues hanging up the phone if all they were offered was a 4th. They would just keep KT. Furthermore, with the blues playing better and thus having something of a shot at a run, KT value to the team is going way up. It will take more than just a mid 2nd to get him out the door. Don't quite your day job to become a GM ok....

Gaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaels View Post
I would bet more than the farm on the blues hanging up the phone if all they were offered was a 4th. They would just keep KT. Furthermore, with the blues playing better and thus having something of a shot at a run, KT value to the team is going way up. It will take more than just a mid 2nd to get him out the door. Don't quite your day job to become a GM ok....
I don't have any doubt that the Blues likely will not trade Tkachuk while they still feel they have a chance at the playoffs. The 4th round pick is what it would be worth to offer for Tkachuk. As I said Tkachuk would make Vancouver a better team, but not significantly enough to allow the Canucks to be any better in the playoffs than they will be already. Unless it was garanteed that both Sundin and Tkachuk would sign for another season with the Canucks, anything the Canucks would offer to the Blues is just rental money for a few months work. Unlike Tkachuk, Sundin didn't cost the Canucks anything but salary of which the Canucks can afford. Tkachuk will cost the Canucks an asset and that is a whole different kettle of fish.

Gillis would love to play for the Stanley Cup this season, but it is more important that he continue to build a strong team with an identity of hard work and toughness.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Bluester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
Yes a fourth rounder & all wrapped up as a free gift to the Blues. Tkachuk has made it clear he likes to play for the Blues. Unless a team is going to throw stupid money at him to sign next season, Tkachuk is either going to retire or come right back to the Blues. What do you expect another team to pay for just a couple of months use of Tkachuk - the team's franchise players for the next 30 years?
Then you need to pay a little more attention. IF Walt is dealt it will be for atleast a 2nd and a prospect. You can rant all you want it just proves how little you know. I guess your the Vancouver boards Oshniak.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
Then you need to pay a little more attention. IF Walt is dealt it will be for atleast a 2nd and a prospect. You can rant all you want it just proves how little you know. I guess your the Vancouver boards Oshniak.
Your post doesn't make much sense. Who is Oshniak? What do I have to pay more attention to? What am I ranting about?

All I said is yes Tkachuk would improve the Canucks for the remainder of this season, but the most the Canucks would offer the Blues for his rental would be a 4th round pick (maybe a 3rd). If that wasn't enough or if the Blues still had a shot at the playoffs, then the Blues should keep him. No ranting there. No trying to convince the Blues or their fans to take the offer or not. Just a simple that's what we offer. If not accepted we just move on. Personally I hope the Blues make the playoffs so that there is no need for them to be selling off their players to anyone.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:26 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

With all due respect to the Blues, they aren't a playoff team this year. Sure they have 1/4th the season to go and they're 'only' 6 points back, but every time a Western conference team plays a game against another Western conference team, they lose ground. They have to leapfrog 6 other teams. They may only be 6 points back but they need to go 19-7-1 to have a better than 50% shot at it.

That being said, KT`s value to the Blues is much higher than a 4th and I agree that Gillis won`t offer much more, so a trade is unlikely.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
The 'nucks get SCREWED over in this.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:03 AM
HockeyHooligans
PetranJello 4 Norris

How valuable do the Nucks hold Schneider?

Tkachuk + what for Schneider?

KT + 2nd for Schneider and Pyatt?

HockeyHooligans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:25 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHooligans View Post
How valuable do the Nucks hold Schneider?

Tkachuk + what for Schneider?

KT + 2nd for Schneider and Pyatt?
IMO you don't trade Schneider until after Luongo is signed to an extension. Only way I move him otherwise is to land a non-rental player that can fill a longterm team need (puck-moving dmen, top-6 right winger).

dealing with the blues, if you're trading him before Luongo is extended, I'd want a player like Perron in return (add picks to balance it out)... otherwise it's just not worth the risk without having Luongo extended.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
IMO you don't trade Schneider until after Luongo is signed to an extension. Only way I move him otherwise is to land a non-rental player that can fill a longterm team need (puck-moving dmen, top-6 right winger).

dealing with the blues, if you're trading him before Luongo is extended, I'd want a player like Perron in return (add picks to balance it out)... otherwise it's just not worth the risk without having Luongo extended.
Seriously? Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:32 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
like I said, it'd have to be a longterm asset to trade Schneider at this point... otherwise it's not worth it.

Why take the risk when the franchise has had only 3 really good goalies in their entire history? If you're going to deal the best goalie prospect you've ever drafted, you only do it if you can either guarantee you can re-sign your current franchise goalie, or get an offer which is too good to refuse.

Dealing him for Tkachuk doesn't do that... nor would dealing him for any rental player. Perron is no doubt worth more... but if Schneider + (1st, prospect, etc) doesn't get you a player like that, then it makes more sense to just hold on to Schneider, because he gives you insurance in what has been this franchise's most difficult position to fill.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
He's merely clarifying how valuable Schneider is to Vancouver. Up until Schneider was drafted, the Canucks had never drafted a goalie in the first round... and the Canucks have always had piss poor luck with goalies. Basically, Schneider is the Canucks insurance policy, should Luongo decide that four years in Vancity is enough.

I really don't think anyone could expect a prospect + picks to get it done for Perron...

To get back on topic, I'd have a hard time getting excited about trading Schneider for 30 games of Keith Tkachuk. Call me a homer, call me an idiot, but our system is so bereft of any sort of bluechip prospect that I'd want more than a rental for one of the few doozies we have waiting in the wings.

edit: haha, NFITO said it more eloquently than I... damn, beat me to it...

Last edited by Bullet Tooth Tony: 02-16-2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: .
Bullet Tooth Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Tooth Tony View Post
He's merely clarifying how valuable Schneider is to Vancouver. Up until Schneider was drafted, the Canucks had never drafted a goalie in the first round... and the Canucks have always had piss poor luck with goalies. Basically, Schneider is the Canucks insurance policy, should Luongo decide that four years in Vancity is enough.

I really don't think anyone could expect a prospect + picks to get it done for Perron...

To get back on topic, I'd have a hard time getting excited about trading Schneider for 30 games of Keith Tkachuk. Call me a homer, call me an idiot, but our system is so bereft of any sort of bluechip prospect that I'd want more than a rental for one of the few doozies we have waiting in the wings.

edit: haha, NFITO said it more eloquently than I... damn, beat me to it...
Oh, well that's too bad then. Because allegedly Perron's not getting moved for anything short of Malkin.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
Oh, well that's too bad then. Because allegedly Perron's not getting moved for anything short of Malkin.
I guess that's just to prove how valuable Perron is to St Loo...

Bullet Tooth Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Peter Griffin

Gillis stated he's not willing to move 2nd/3rd round picks for rental players so I assume he has little interest in Tkachuk. He wants to make a move that will benefit the team longer term.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:51 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Keith Tkachuck is fat

what? somebody had to say it

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote