HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Learning from the Souray and Streit experience

Old
02-16-2009, 07:54 AM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
Learning from the Souray and Streit experience

If we look back and look at the Souray and Streit experience, we know that Bob doesn't and can't get some players sign when their value is higher than expected come July 1st, hence, Mike Komisarek!

Why keep Komisarek?

Imagine getting the following for him (which is possible):

- A proven NHL defenseman (young)
- A prospect that will be NHL ready or already is
- A 1st round draft pick in 2009 (in the top 15)

That would give us even more to work with for years to come!

The reason I mention this is because we have Markov and Hamrlik tied up at $11,250,000.00 together and if Komisarek asks for $5,000,000.00 + then we have almost $17,000,000.00 on defense (hence the problems with Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay).

What do you all think?

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
If we look back and look at the Souray and Streit experience, we know that Bob doesn't and can't get some players sign when their value is higher than expected come July 1st, hence, Mike Komisarek!

Why keep Komisarek?

The reason I mention this is because we have Markov and Hamrlik tied up at $11,250,000.00 together and if Komisarek asks for $5,000,000.00 + then we have almost $17,000,000.00 on defense (hence the problems with Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay).

What do you all think?
Are you serious? I don't even think the Oilers got half of that in return for Pronger

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

The difference is that Komisarek is not coming off a career year like those 2 guys. I think in both cases their agent knoew they were lined up for a big payday, the Habs had 2 choices, overpay for those guys or let them walk.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Why keep Komisarek?

What do you all think?
No.No.No. Besides Komisarek won't get anywhere close to $5M . Not to mention the Habs are in a playoff spot.

Let's-get-something-for-them obsessions are stupid and doesn't allow a team to get over the top - you're spinning your wheels replacing what you just lost and not putting together your best rosters in spring. Gainey made good decisions on Souray and Streit.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 08:00 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
Are you serious? I don't even think the Oilers got half of that in return for Pronger
That's because Lowe had NO leverage in the deal!

When your player says "I want out" then it gives more ammunition to the other GM and he was one of the best in the league (Brian Burke).

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 08:05 AM
PinchedNerve

Quote:

Why keep Komisarek?

What do you all think?
We won't get all that for Komisarek. Try one of the above or two out of three - max.

PinchedNerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 08:22 AM
sandman08

the teams willing to give up the most to get mike arent going to have top 15 picks at the draft..

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
the teams willing to give up the most to get mike arent going to have top 15 picks at the draft..
NYI are the only team I could think about but they will probably have a top 3 pick,would they really wanna give that up when they will probably have a shot at Tavares or Hedman?Not sure

Old
02-16-2009, 08:29 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
NYI are the only team I could think about but they will probably have a top 3 pick,would they really wanna give that up when they will probably have a shot at Tavares or Hedman?Not sure
i'll answer it for you.. hell no.

Old
02-16-2009, 08:37 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Sure let the rebuilding continue!!

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

hahahahahahahahahahah, who the hell would pay 5 million dollars to a guy who has been playing horribly and doesn't win games for you?

Get over youselves, Komisarek isn't worth 5 million a season.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Fire Brunet*

I remember 1 month ago when we were all in love with Komisarek and now you guys want to trade him. Praise them when they're doing well and bash them when they're struggling... Habs fans are loyal... yeah...

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Miller Time

gainey better have a plan...

i want to see komi locked up long-term, BUT...

NOT at 5million+... which he may be able to get on the open market

trading komi at the deadline would be the smart thing to do if:

- Gainey finds out Komi intends to test the UFA market... Komi does not owe it to anyone not to test the market, but it's reasonable to assume Gainey could get an honest answer from him prior to the deadline about his intentions... that conversation NEEDS to happen

- Gainey's negotiations with Komi's camp make it clear that he will not sign for less than 5 million+/season

- Gainey gets a "kings ransom" offer from a team

- the team continues to spiral going into the deadline... it would be a brain-dead move on Gainey's part not to have a conversation with Komi by then to gauge his feelings on the team. If Komi makes it clear that the team chemistry and/or coaching is a big issue for him, AND Gainey has no intention to make significant roster changes/coaching change prior to the UFA period, then he'd have to reason that re-signing Komi will be very difficult

any one of those scenarios on their own may not be enough to warrant pulling the trigger, but 2 or more and it would start to become a more feasible decision.

Komi should, imo, be a part of the habs for the considerable future, but the problem with leaving key players un-signed until the very last moment is that it puts a lot more question marks into the equation.

I don't think anyone can honestly say that it's a stretch to think that a poor end to this hyped-up season and the allure of freedom to chose where you want to play/land a huge pay-day could easily combine to make Komi punch his ticket out of montreal...

the amount of negative media/fan reaction accompanying this recent slide (heaven forbid it culminate in the team on the outside looking in come playoffs, the city itself may implode) alone must be making him think twice about wether or not he wants to be here long-term...

no matter what happens with Komi, the team can come out of it in a good position, it will all rest on Gainey's ability to make the most of this very important asset.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
I remember 1 month ago when we were all in love with Komisarek and now you guys want to trade him. Praise them when they're doing well and bash them when they're struggling... Habs fans are loyal... yeah...
Dont take it personnal you know how it works! We still love your hilarious gif... but since last month we haven't seen much... you can't ask us to be loyal to you if you can't keep to work.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
hahahahahahahahahahah, who the hell would pay 5 million dollars to a guy who has been playing horribly and doesn't win games for you?

Get over youselves, Komisarek isn't worth 5 million a season.
more or less,like it or not,that's how much he will get

Old
02-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Dont take it personnal you know how it works! We still love your hilarious gif... but since last month we haven't seen much... you can't ask us to be loyal to you if you can't keep to work.
I'm struggling too, trade me too

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:25 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Sure let the rebuilding continue!!
Well if he is going to walk at the end of the year, we are obviously way better off trading him. I want BG to push hard to sign him before the deadline, if there is no deal to be made then he has to go. We can't lose him for nothing. And there is no point in keeping him for our "playoff run", because with or without him there isn't going to be much of one.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 10:14 AM
GNick42

Quote:
It's not that...its signing him...i would trade Komi for a good package than lose him for nothing ie. Striet or Souray

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 10:18 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Well if he is going to walk at the end of the year, we are obviously way better off trading him. I want BG to push hard to sign him before the deadline, if there is no deal to be made then he has to go. We can't lose him for nothing. And there is no point in keeping him for our "playoff run", because with or without him there isn't going to be much of one.
so what your saying is that gm's cant sign players to extensions/contracts after the trade deadline till the beginning of free agency? and as such.. they should cut most chances they DO get of resigning him by trading him?

Old
02-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Habs

Quote:
I remember 1 month ago when we were all in love with Komisarek
.. we weren't all in love with Komisarek

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:04 PM
nORRis8*

Quote:

Plus its Carey Price's fault.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:06 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm. If Streit and Souray were still here, would our top three scorers be defensemen?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:12 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I'm not sure I'd trade Komisarek, but I'd definitely look at the options. Same goes with Kovalev.

The only UFA I wouldn't explore options on is Saku Koivu.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

The cap is probably going down the summer of 2010, signing a lug like Komisarek to 5 million a season is suicide, he has never won games by himself and never will. He is a piece of building a team, he isn't essential in the sense he demands 5 million a season.

And no, not all of us were in love with the guy...it was and is a case of a player being over valued by fans.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:26 PM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Hmmm. If Streit and Souray were still here, would our top three scorers be defensemen?
Could be but they would maybe slump like the others

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote