HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do we Buy or Sell?

View Poll Results: Do we Buy or Sell on 04/03/2009
Buy! 39 39.39%
Sell! 32 32.32%
Neither 7 7.07%
Both! 21 21.21%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
not a very realistic option.
Very realistic option.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Price (or Halak) is not responsible for the countless turnovers created in front of him.
no, but you can't win with the goaltending the team is receiving this season. The prognosis for spring, (and hence the decision to buy talent before the deadline) is not good. that's why you stay the course and hope that performance of the current group improves before April.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Very realistic option.
I suppose in your EA Sports mentality you can trade Kovalev for 4 or 5 prospects that can you can flip to get Bouwmeester, and you can just "pick up" a top centre by politely asking some of the other GM's to give them to you . But in Real World '09, trades don't happen very often, and certainly the sequence you suggest is not very realistic.

Old
02-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
no, but you can't win with the goaltending the team is receiving this season. The prognosis for spring, (and hence the decision to buy talent before the deadline) is not good. that's why you stay the course and hope that performance of the current group improves before April.
The day that we start allowing a normal amount of shots, the day that we stop turning the puck over more than a Pillsbury factory, we'll have a better idea if indeed the goaltending is our problem. Until then, I say fix the other problems.

Quote:
I suppose in your EA Sports mentality you can trade Kovalev for 4 or 5 prospects that can you can flip to get Bouwmeester, and you can just "pick up" a top centre by politely asking some of the other GM's to give them to you . But in Real World '09, trades don't happen very often, and certainly the sequence you suggest is not very realistic.
I don't know who pissed in your Corn Flakes lately but I certainly don't attack your intelligence the way you lamely attempt to do to me with your EA Sports comments and so on. I will be the bigger man and stay away from replying to those.

On topic now, I've never stated that it had to be one trade nor did I mention anything about the return on his value. YOU made this up. What I am saying is that you can easily trade Kovalev in one trade and whether or not you use those assets in another trade depends on too many factors to try to guess. But if we're buyers, it certainly doesn't keep us from unloading the cancer on our team.

Old
02-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

On topic now, I've never stated that it had to be one trade nor did I mention anything about the return on his value. YOU made this up. What I am saying is that you can easily trade Kovalev in one trade and whether or not you use those assets in another trade depends on too many factors to try to guess. But if we're buyers, it certainly doesn't keep us from unloading the cancer on our team.
You've proposed trading Kovalev and the Kostitsyns, acquiring a top centre and a top 4 defenceman, and getting rid of the goaltender coach? All while keeping the cap situation under control. That might be a morning's work in the mind of some , but it's not very realistic to think that can be executed in the NHL in February.

I have no objections to the Kovalev part, although I would say that in the past Gainey has had a good nose for cancers and has got rid of them promptly, so I have to wonder what Kovalev is doing that's so cancerous. But the rest is not realistic, and in the end doesn't mask the single largest obstacle to getting to spring success - the AHL level goaltending the team has been receiving.

Old
02-16-2009, 11:25 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Both:

Sell Kovalev for a box of Wheaties cereal.

Buy someone.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

According to the poll, there are 11 people, some very good members here, who think BOTH is actually a good option: Canadian_Brewtality, CastroLeRobot, Frogurt, Habinger, Haddock, HarryI, sampollock, speed11, the finnish flash, Tuggy and myself.

Old
02-16-2009, 11:45 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy13 View Post
I REALLY cannot imagine why anyone would think this statement to be true. I GUARANTEE that the Habs' biggest problem is CERTAINLY NOT goaltending. We are giving up more shots in one game than the redwings do in three.
I could not agree more with you. The way we play would make any goalie look like a pewee. Just look at NJ and their goalies. A commited team makes goalie look unbeatable. THIS TEAM SUCKS BIG ONES AT THIS TIME.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
According to the poll, there are 11 people, some very good members here, who think BOTH is actually a good option: Canadian_Brewtality, CastroLeRobot, Frogurt, Habinger, Haddock, HarryI, sampollock, speed11, the finnish flash, Tuggy and myself.
These are good people to help you build your teleporting machine , so you can bring in Melanson's mid season replacement and zap in a top centre and top 4 defenseman through the snap of a finger.

Old
02-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
These are good people to help you build your teleporting machine , so you can bring in Melanson's mid season replacement and zap in a top centre and top 4 defenseman through the snap of a finger.
Find me where I said that it would be "through the snap of a finger"...

Old
02-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Find me where I said that it would be "through the snap of a finger"...
Oh I meant to type "through the complete and utterly disastrous draining of the prospect pool".

Old
02-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Oh I meant to type "through the complete and utterly disastrous draining of the prospect pool".
You're making things up as you go as I've never said any of that. I'm done trying to have a mature discussion with you.

Old
02-16-2009, 12:08 PM
otto bond

I'm selling my Habs Jacket, any buyers?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Bullsmith

Surely we have a soft, skilled euro-type winger to spare.

Next year's team isn't going to be this year's team.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Kafka

Both!

This team has near everything to be succesfull. What's missing? a quality D-man that would have the offensive tools to play like Streit on the powerplay, but that could also be good defensively during long playoffs. A Jovanovski.

This team however is filled with wingers, one of which can't play on a high altitude ice rink, nor in a sea level arena. We could get rid of this one, add a quality prospect and get that quality D-man we are missing.

Yes, I haven't adress the center position. We had Lang that was precisely what was missing. If the space cap allows a quality veterant like Brind'Amour or Stillman to join the team, well let's get him... but I don't think any of those will be available, sadly.

Therefore, if Gainey can clean the room, allow Koivu to build an army that will follow him and if Price gets his confidence back, that team can be really good.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
mlandry

We could fix the team by trading some prospects, and we would end up overpay for a rental. Besides, I don't think anyone has any delusions about us going anywhere in the playoffs with this team, so a temporary fix is useless.

I would much rather WE sell some rentals for younger talent (that can play immediately, just younger) and have other teams overpay.

I'm looking to next year, I know, but I don't think we can achieve much this year, even if the team gets back on track (which I don't doubt they will). I just think that the point of building a team is a cup, and this team will never lift a cup with it's current members (quote me on that if you want).

Several teams have been succesful rebuilding with youth, and we are partially there. We just need to get rid of some bad influences and get some veterans that will whip them into shape (guys with a real personality, not a bunch of floaters again) and finally fill the holes with good prospects we steal from other teams willing to overpay for people like Kovalev (he is still worth a bunch, teams take risk on players like him)

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

I would love to see Gainey at least say something....

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:27 PM
ReVeuF

Gainey is a ghost now that the team need him the most...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post

Really? How would you like your crow?

Old
02-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post

Wow. Literally 1 minute before the trade broke here.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote