HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greg Zanon - what would it take to trade for him?

Old
02-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Gilligans Island

vCash: 500
Greg Zanon - what would it take to trade for him?

Sharks are looking for a depth at D - ideally, a stay-at-home dman. Zanon seems like he could be a good fit for the Sharks. Excellent shot blocker and a lead dman on the PK unit.

What would be a fair deal in the eyes of Predators' fans?

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:19 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

In my eyes, not much.

In the organization's eyes... well, I won't even think about that one.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Gilligans Island

It seems the Predators are looking for young forwards.

How about one of: Lukas Kaspar, Jamie McGinn or Tomas Plihal?

Or.. Cheechoo for Zanon + 1st?

Sorry if these are bad proposals. I really don't know what's fair value for Zanon.

Old
02-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

If Zanon is willing to re-sign for 2 million, then we keep him. Otherwise I could see us dealing him if we continue to fall out of the playoff picture.

Cheechoo is not worth a 1st by itself, IMO. His value has plummeted. I could see a 2nd + a prospect or Zanon + 3rd, but I'm not sure if Cheechoo is a guy we're interested in. The Preds can't really afford (literally) to take on 3.5 million dollar projects. IMO Cheechoo hasn't been the same since that surgery.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Gilligans Island

Thanks, Predanerd.

Perhaps Sharks 2nd + Kaspar for Zanon + 3rd.

Do you think Zanon would fetch over $2m via free agency (if he didn't re-sign)?

On Cheechoo, agree that the jury is out if he can get healthy again. If so, w/ the right setup man, he could pot 30-40 goals. He's buried on the 3rd line now w/ Goc as a setup man (which is an oxymoron).

Old
02-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks junkie View Post
Do you think Zanon would fetch over $2m via free agency (if he didn't re-sign)?
I think Zanon will get around 3 years/$1.7 per to re-sign with Nashville and would garner $2+ million on the open market.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 02:54 AM
Seth Lake

If Zanon tells Poile that he wants to test the market and we fall out of contention for a playoff berth, I would entertain an offer of McGinn and a conditional pick (3rd in '10 if Zanon signs for 2 years or less, 2nd in 10' if Zanon signs for >3 years, none if Zanon doesn't re-sign with San Jose) for Zanon and a conditional pick (4th round in '10 if Zanon does not re-sign with San Jose, none if Zanon signs with the Sharks).

Old
02-17-2009, 04:09 AM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
If Zanon is willing to re-sign for 2 million, then we keep him. Otherwise I could see us dealing him if we continue to fall out of the playoff picture.

Cheechoo is not worth a 1st by itself, IMO. His value has plummeted. I could see a 2nd + a prospect or Zanon + 3rd, but I'm not sure if Cheechoo is a guy we're interested in. The Preds can't really afford (literally) to take on 3.5 million dollar projects. IMO Cheechoo hasn't been the same since that surgery.
First off kudos to you for recognizing that Cheechoo is not simply a product of Thornton but a solid player in his own right, who is hampered by injuries. I am so tired of hearing how Thornton turns below average 3rd liners into 1st liners (yet none of Bell, Ekman, S. Thornton, or Bernier put up 60 points).

I recognize the dollar issue as being a potential problem, but as you no doubt know finding 2nd line forwards isn't cheap. Furthermore, while I think Cheechoo is worth a 1st or (2 2nds), he is not worth your 1st pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
If Zanon tells Poile that he wants to test the market and we fall out of contention for a playoff berth, I would entertain an offer of McGinn and a conditional pick (3rd in '10 if Zanon signs for 2 years or less, 2nd in 10' if Zanon signs for >3 years, none if Zanon doesn't re-sign with San Jose) for Zanon and a conditional pick (4th round in '10 if Zanon does not re-sign with San Jose, none if Zanon signs with the Sharks).
I think McGinn is a bit too much for Zanon. Maybe the value is equal but I am not sure the Sharks can afford to give up either of their top 2 winger prospects (Bonino or McGinn) as they are the only thing we have as far as top 6 potential goes. I think the most I would offer is Kaspar/Zalewski +3rd. Maybe not enough, but the Sharks need to be careful about moving there limited assets.

I see Zanon as a good 3rd pairing d-man who is a real heart and soul player. Would he be an upgrade over Murray and Lukowich? Personally, he is likely better but only marginally so. However, he would be a major improvement over Semenov and that is the real goal. IMO, that is just too high a price to give up for Zanon.

Also, would I be right to assume Hambius was untouchable? I think he is a legit #3 d-man and signed for a great deal, so I would offer more for him.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
First off kudos to you for recognizing that Cheechoo is not simply a product of Thornton but a solid player in his own right, who is hampered by injuries.
2005-06 San Jose Sharks NHL 82 56 37 93 58 11 4 5 9 8
2006-07 San Jose Sharks NHL 76 37 32 69 69 11 3 3 6 6
2007-08 San Jose Sharks NHL 69 23 14 37 46 13 4 4 8 4
2008-09 San Jose Sharks NHL 42 8 11 19 28

Injuries are a part of it, but so is Thornton, anytime you get double/triple teamed someone is going to be open for that extra second to be able to get their gun off

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:33 PM
lugnut76

I personally don't think Hamhuis in untouchable. I'm not familiar enough with the Sharks to know who it would take to make a deal for Hamhuis, but the way he is turning the puck over right now I would be glad to see him go.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:34 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Also, would I be right to assume Hambius was untouchable? I think he is a legit #3 d-man and signed for a great deal, so I would offer more for him.
Hamhuis is definitely on the table; however, there would have to be an immediate scoring threat traded in return, and I'm not sure that's something the Sharks would want to do.

Old
02-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Hamhuis is definitely on the table; however, there would have to be an immediate scoring threat traded in return, and I'm not sure that's something the Sharks would want to do.
Cheechoo, I think, is the only expendable "immediate" scoring threat the Sharks may be willing to deal at the deadline is Cheechoo. (The other Sharks' top 6 aren't (or rather, the Sharks just aren't compelled to make such a deal at this point).)

Would a deal revolving around Cheechoo for Hamhuis work? (Not sure which side would have to throw in a prospect or pick to balance it out.)

(Matt trick - question -> who would you rather have for the long haul? Ehrhoff or Hamhuis? They seem comparable and Hamhuis has a better cap hit next season).

Also, BTW, Cheech's cap hit is $3m for 2 more seasons (after this season).

Old
02-17-2009, 02:38 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Don't think DP would stomach a 3M cap hit for Cheechoo's production. We can get that from a cheap young guy from the Ads for chump change.
Actually, we could just push Spaling up and get that kind of production, IMHO.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda of the chains View Post
Don't think DP would stomach a 3M cap hit for Cheechoo's production. We can get that from a cheap young guy from the Ads for chump change.
Actually, we could just push Spaling up and get that kind of production, IMHO.
Only way he would do it was if he thought that Cheechoo could recover to the scoring threat that he was a couple seasons ago. If he did, then he could slot Cheechoo into the salary opened up by Sully's contract ending after this season and could offer Sully the money that was Bonk's if he so desired.

Personally, I don't really think that is the way Poile will view the situation however.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:10 PM
SkullSplitter

Pens fan here, I don't know if Nashville would exactly make good trading partners with the Pens, but I think Zanon could really help them out and is also a guy that they should sign if they can find a way to get Eaton out of town (he doesn't fit with the new system the Pens are playing.)

What would it take from the Pens to get him?

And I hear Hamhuis may be available as well, what could the Pens do for him?

If I'm Shero I'd say everything is available except: Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, Gonchar, Orpik, Cooke, Caputi, Jeffrey, CPZ, 09 1st, and Curry. I'd also be weary of trading Kennedy and Talbot who bring a lot of energy.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
Pens fan here, I don't know if Nashville would exactly make good trading partners with the Pens, but I think Zanon could really help them out and is also a guy that they should sign if they can find a way to get Eaton out of town (he doesn't fit with the new system the Pens are playing.)

And I hear Hamhuis may be available as well, what could the Pens do for him?

If I'm Shero I'd say everything is available except: Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, Gonchar, Orpik, Cooke, Caputi, Jeffrey, CPZ, 09 1st, and Curry. I'd also be weary of trading Kennedy and Talbot who bring a lot of energy.
whats the use of trading someone when all you're getting back is suck

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:17 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:

Zanon and Eaton are essentially the same player.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:50 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
whats the use of trading someone when all you're getting back is suck
Not true. Pens have Whitney and Staal available who while being whipping boys, the have a lot of upside. Also the Pens 2nd and 3rd rounders could prove valuable, and they've got some good defensive prospects in Goligoski, Grant, Strait, and Sneep

Old
02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
i dunno why you don't like him so much but Zanon >>Eaton ...

Predsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:54 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
from what I understand Zanon's scrappier (hits more) and blocks more shots (he's 3rd in the league in blocked shots)

Old
02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
from whaat I understand Zanon's scrappier (hits more) and blocks more shots (he's 3rd in the league in blocked shots)
He is both of these. Eaton is also better suited for the pre-lockout NHL, whereas Greg has found his groove post-lockout. I would rather have Zanon.

02-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
they are nothing alike. the only similarity is that they both play defense. god you really hate zanon don't you? lol

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:59 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
to answer your question spectraljulian:

We are capped strapped. Yes, I know you say, "well you guys are nearly 14M under the cap". Fine -- we are Budget strapped. I have no idea how we can afford what we have now, much less if we traded for Staal (unless we threw in one of an Erat, Dumont, or Legwand).

Yes, next year we will be better off with DeVries and Bonk off of our payroll (due to their higher salary for their role that generally requires 2 or 3 times less than what they are making), which might help us afford a Staal.

Problem is, I am not sure Staal still fits in here, unless Legwand or Staal will play wing. This is because of the factor of Colin Wilson coming in and possibly because of Mike Santorelli trying to play center on a scoring line.

Predators are mainly looking for a forward that will crash the net and score. We have way too many perimeter players and players that will not go into the 'hard' areas to get a goal. The ones that will (Jones, Ward, Fiddler, Tootoo) are ones that are either grinders/PK guys -- Ward, Fiddler; or have been too inconsistent on a scoring line -- Jones. Saying this, it might be a good fit for Staal. But I am not sure we will be willing to give up what you guys will want for Staal's potential.

We are plenty deep on defense and do not need immediate help, nor prospect depth at the blueline. We are also plenty deep in goalies for the future.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:46 PM
SkullSplitter

Yeah seems like the Preds have similar problems. Staal as much as all Pens fans would like him to be is definitely not a net crasher. That's why CPZ, Caputi, and to a lesser extent Jeffrey are so valuable as prospects to the organization.

So basically I guess for Hamhuis if he is out there wouldn't be a good trading match for the Pens.

I wonder if Zanon could be had for one of the Pens other forward prospects or a pick or both though. The Pens could definitely move Gill somewhere making room for him. The Pens still have their 2nd, plus they have TB's 3rd. They've got some interesting forwards in WBS and the CHL that may be of interest to some degree- Wallace is sort of like a Tyler Kennedy type- a bit bigger, a little slower, and a bit meaner with less scoring touch. Veilleux and Moon are both CHL prospects of the Pens that have a lot of talent but are big question marks.