HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Helluva Rant by the Rodent...

Old
02-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Helluva Rant by the Rodent...

http://www.hockeyrodent.com/

He talks about the NYR starting to lose the most loyal fans due to the pathetic product.

And I hate to say it he is right.

Since I was 10, every night during the season there was nothing that took precedent over a Rangers game for me.

Out with my buddies? Nope Rangers are on.

Girlfriend wants to go out? You can come over and well order chinese while I watch the game.

Hell I even based my work schedule around Rangers/Islanders/Devils/Flyers/Pens. Id make sure to take off every day for when the Rangers played any of them.

But the longer this season goes on and the more and more I watch this pathetic product that Rangers hierarchy has the balls to call a hockey team, the harder time I have to tune in to the next game after a pathetic non exciting win, or uber frustrating loss.

If I had to estimate, over the last 10 years prior to this season, Id say I have missed around 30 Rangers games total. Yet this season Id say I have missed between 15-20 games. This team just is not fun to watch and honestly I dont know how much more of this pansy ass team I can take.

What do you guys think?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
What do I think? I think I'm am about to become a serious caps fan... Backstrom, Nylander, Green, Semin, and some other guy... Ovech-something...

Rangers will always be my team, but what happened to the youth movement? What happened to growing from within? They threw cash at the best players available as soon as they had the money... no looking ahead... I feel like Sather just decided to go for it... screw the cap... he wont be around in 6 years to see redden anyway...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
yeah...I want the days back when Dan Cloutier skated the length of the ice and fought Tommy Salo of the Islanders...or when Sandy McCarthy and Theo Fleury did the chicken dance against the Islanders. Or even just the Avery antics from the past two seasons, throwing hits, getting involved with anyone, crashing the net, the Avery Rule. Jagr in the corner with the puck and nobody able to get it away from him. Sorry just had to reminice for a few.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:48 AM
MadHookUp

Couldnt agree more. I use to play hockey at this rink and had controls of all the scheduling. I would play on 8 hockey teams and tweak the schedules so I would always have off on nights the Rangers were playing.

In my mid teens living in Pa(Pre NHL Center Ice and internet) I would sit and watch the news channel(headline news) for 3 hours staring at the sports ticker. Then I would go into library at school the next day and pray the local paper had the box score.

I have ordered the NHL Center Ice package for 11 straight years. And almost didnt order it this season. I thought last years team was boring since Jagr decided he wanted to tank the regular season. With him and Avery gone, I couldn't imagine this team being watchable. In comes Zherdev... and I decide to order the package just to see him play. But he isnt enough.

Living in Pa, when the Rangers play the Flyers it gets very interesting! Depending on who is winning, I will call to talk trash, or my phone will be ringing off the hook when the Flyer fans call afer they win. That said... I didnt even watch the game. I knew they were going to be blown out of the water. I ended up watching censored stand up comedy on comedy central...how sad is that?

You want to call me a bad fan for this but that's fine... throw me on the list of people rooting against the Rangers. I laughed my ass off when the Capitals came back to destroy them. And laughed when they got crushed by Dallas. I hate this team and most of the players. I hate the style. And the only thing that will bring change is LOSING. I would much rather see this team lose and be torn apart, then watch them squeak into the playoffs and romped.

The only thing that will get me to watch this team again this season is if Avery comes back. If not, I am done paying to watch this team. I love the Rangers, but I am a fan of hockey. I enjoy watching Hockey. The Rangers arent playing hockey. They are playing..."Lets hope it goes 0-0 and we win in the shootout."

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:53 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I was less interested in the last 2 games than ive ever been before in my life and Im an avid avid Rangers fan. At the half turn of the season I actually really started getting into games more, maybe it was a last ditch effort to convince myself this team just might have some guts. I was wrong.

Thats just the beginning of losing fans. You cannot expect a team that scores 2 goals or less 2/3rds of the season (thanks Inferno) to entertain you. I mean come on, thats so silly. Its amazing certain people still have their job.

The product on the ice right now isnt even worthy of being called a "product", because a product is anything that can be offered to a market that might satisfy a want or need - There is no need or want for this in the sports world, let alone passionate hockey fans.

Its embarrassing is what it is and we deserve better.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 54
Wow.. I can't believe what I'm reading....
Are we not the same group that pulled through the Mike Dunham/Rem Murray/Guy Herbet/Bobby Holik... years?
Hold tight and we'll pull through this one as well...

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
http://www.hockeyrodent.com/

He talks about the NYR starting to lose the most loyal fans due to the pathetic product.

And I hate to say it he is right.

Since I was 10, every night during the season there was nothing that took precedent over a Rangers game for me.

Out with my buddies? Nope Rangers are on.

Girlfriend wants to go out? You can come over and well order chinese while I watch the game.

Hell I even based my work schedule around Rangers/Islanders/Devils/Flyers/Pens. Id make sure to take off every day for when the Rangers played any of them.

But the longer this season goes on and the more and more I watch this pathetic product that Rangers hierarchy has the balls to call a hockey team, the harder time I have to tune in to the next game after a pathetic non exciting win, or uber frustrating loss.

If I had to estimate, over the last 10 years prior to this season, Id say I have missed around 30 Rangers games total. Yet this season Id say I have missed between 15-20 games. This team just is not fun to watch and honestly I dont know how much more of this pansy ass team I can take.

What do you guys think?
How old are you now? 14? 15?

Seriously, its been much, much, much worse.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Are we not the same group that pulled through the Mike Dunham/Rem Murray/Guy Herbet/Bobby Holik... years?
True that!!

We will come out of this, but we need something, anything to spark us, and after everything they have tried I think only a trade will help this team, there is not much else

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:06 AM
MadHookUp

Quote:
I actually found those team more enjoyable to watch....

I would rather lose every night 4-3 than lose every night 1-0,2-1,10-2.

But I think the part I disagree with you the most is your optimism. And I think the reason why Ranger fans hate this team more than any in recent memory is because the salary cap SHOULD remove any hope you have for this team. If there was no salary cap, we could be excited about all the trade rumors, buy outs, or fire sales. But we are unable to do this. We are most likely doomed with Redden, Drury, and Gomez for YEARS. We have no good wingers in our system, and we cannot afford to buy one. I cannot imagine how anything will get better in the next several years.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Difference was there was no cap in that era, we werent STUCK with them for the actual duration of their contract.

Now we are. If I have to watch Wade Redden for the next 5 years in a Rangers sweater, the only time Ill watch him is when Im rooting for my oilers to put him on IR for a long time so I can become a rangers fan again.

You want to talk about pulling through? THIS TEAM STILL HAS NOT ****ING REBUILT. ITS A ****ING JOKE.

Sather is back to his old mantra and is picking the wrong ****ing people to sign to these ludacris contracts.

WADE REDDEN? ****ING SERIOUSLY? 6.5 MILLION OVER 6 YEARS? For a guy who has the drive of a ****in snowpea.

To think that Scott Gomez and Drury earn more then Lundqvist is a ****ing sacralidge. The ONLY, ONLY player worth his enourmous salary is Lundqvist.

Roszival, while may not be a 5 million dollar man, would be a better deal at 8 mil a year then Redden at 6.5. Rozy is exempt from this because im damn sure he could have taken 6 or 6.5 to go to another team. ( I could be wrong but i really believe that)

I think some one needs to **** on Glen sathers cigar for him to get the point.

I hope some one on the Rangers pulls a Dave karpa and shoots the puck into his own bench, and rather breaking the wrist of a player I hope it hits either Pearn or Renney square in the sack to at least see them show some kind of emotion. Wait, they have no balls... Lets go for the forehead.

This team, this year, has cost me 2 cell phones, 2 remote controls, 3 glasses (all full of beer) and ALMOST my Sony Vaio laptop. This team is pathetic, they are un watchable, and should be replaced by the wolfpacks roster, sans a few players.

Old
02-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
I actually found those team more enjoyable to watch....

I would rather lose every night 4-3 than lose every night 1-0,2-1,10-2.

But I think the part I disagree with you the most is your optimism. And I think the reason why Ranger fans hate this team more than any in recent memory is because the salary cap SHOULD remove any hope you have for this team. If there was no salary cap, we could be excited about all the trade rumors, buy outs, or fire sales. But we are unable to do this. We are most likely doomed with Redden, Drury, and Gomez for YEARS. We have no good wingers in our system, and we cannot afford to buy one. I cannot imagine how anything will get better in the next several years.
So you would rather lose games 4-3 for 7 years than endure a bad 3 week stretch?

Gotcha.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I for the first time added 4 new teams to my Sunbird Schedule (Kings, Sharks, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets) in the search for a western conference team to root for. I want a young team in a bubble position, figured they'd be really alive. I think it'll come down to the Kings or Blue Jackets, I really like young russian players and Voracek/Kopitar are going to be a blast to watch. Suggestions?

I'm considering watching the Sharks too to see what a team with a power play looks like .

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
How old are you now? 14? 15?

Seriously, its been much, much, much worse.
Im 22, Thanks.

Old
02-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Shake and Bake

I find watching the games has become a job for me...I will still watch every game, but I keep waiting for the clock to tick down to zero...I should of watched Uconn-Pitt last night.

How many legit scoring chances did they have the last 3 games combined? 5?

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:17 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Nothing wrong with vanilla if it's really first rate vanilla.

2nd rate vanilla ain't worth it, though.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
This is way different. Fans now are more upset about the status quo and future, and management's apparent lack of desire to change anything. We're playing listless, boring, defensive hockey without a bona fide scorer and it doesn't look like we're going to be able to get one.

You know what makes it worse? In 2011-2012, we'll still have $32.8 million tied up in 5 players - Gomez, Drury, Redden, Rozsival, and Lundqvist. Sather SHOULD lose his job for such neglect of the cap but he won't, and that's why it is tougher to watch than it used to be.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:33 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
yeah...I want the days back when Dan Cloutier skated the length of the ice and fought Tommy Salo of the Islanders...or when Sandy McCarthy and Theo Fleury did the chicken dance against the Islanders. Or even just the Avery antics from the past two seasons, throwing hits, getting involved with anyone, crashing the net, the Avery Rule. Jagr in the corner with the puck and nobody able to get it away from him. Sorry just had to reminice for a few.
Do you remember how awful the Rangers were in those years?

I am in complete agreement that this team is in shambles right now and I'd like to see them clean house (as far as coaching and front office goes), but man, some people have short memories.

Longing for the days of Dan Cloutier?? Seriously??

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:35 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringUpBobby View Post
This is way different. Fans now are more upset about the status quo and future, and management's apparent lack of desire to change anything. We're playing listless, boring, defensive hockey without a bona fide scorer and it doesn't look like we're going to be able to get one.

You know what makes it worse? In 2011-2012, we'll still have $32.8 million tied up in 5 players - Gomez, Drury, Redden, Rozsival, and Lundqvist. Sather SHOULD lose his job for such neglect of the cap but he won't, and that's why it is tougher to watch than it used to be.
This is different... and it is BAD (exactly as you describe), but it has been worse.

Old
02-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I agree, very dissapointing. This skid is terrible, and it seems that four or five players show up every night...that's about it! And the sad thing is those four or five players probably combine for about $3,000,000 in salary in total? What can you learn from that?

Maybe that money ruins players? I mean that might be a little extreme, but at this point it's starting to have some validity.

Or is it that New York in particular has the tendency to chew up and spit out hockey players that come here? I always believed for this club to be successful, you had to have some some sort of "largen than life" charachter to lead them. Like a Messier, A Gretzky, and to a much smaller extent an Avery.

I will never stop rooting for this club, and I won't stop watchin. It's in my blood at this point, but the effort put forth has been embarrasing. Even though I left the game the other night in the 2nd, I still watched the 3rd period in Cafe 31. Change is a must as everyone here pretty much points out on a regular basis. How that is going to happen? Who knows? Maybe Avery will be the spark? If he does end up here, the good thing for Sean is that it really can't get too much worse. I they start to win with him in the lineup again, he will be a hero, and the fans will forget that they were pissed he signed in Dallas to begin with.

But this is not an Avery thread, i'm just trying to think ahead to some sort of solution that will end this never ending string of bad performances.

Islander game is crucial. Is it possible for Renney to stick with the club if they drop this game?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Exactly.

Lots of babies in Rangerland these days, they'll be back next year opening night, book it.

Upset that the team is losing but the fans and the fake Ranger reporters always give me a good laugh. Not entertaining? I beg to differ....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:40 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I agree, very dissapointing. This skid is terrible, and it seems that four or five players show up every night...that's about it! And the sad thing is those four or five players probably combine for about $3,000,000 in salary in total? What can you learn from that?

Maybe that money ruins players? I mean that might be a little extreme, but at this point it's starting to have some validity.

Or is it that New York in particular has the tendency to chew up and spit out hockey players that come here? I always believed for this club to be successful, you had to have some some sort of "largen than life" charachter to lead them. Like a Messier, A Gretzky, and to a much smaller extent an Avery.

I will never stop rooting for this club, and I won't stop watchin. It's in my blood at this point, but the effort put forth has been embarrasing. Even though I left the game the other night in the 2nd, I still watched the 3rd period in Cafe 31. Change is a must as everyone here pretty much points out on a regular basis. How that is going to happen? Who knows? Maybe Avery will be the spark? If he does end up here, the good thing for Sean is that it really can't get too much worse. I they start to win with him in the lineup again, he will be a hero, and the fans will forget that they were pissed he signed in Dallas to begin with.

But this is not an Avery thread, i'm just trying to think ahead to some sort of solution that will end this never ending string of bad performances.

Islander game is crucial. Is it possible for Renney to stick with the club if they drop this game?
Maybe - But I think in this case, the dollars were spent on players that were mediocre in the first place. Not sure they were "ruined"

Old
02-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I'm a fan of most of the players under long term contracts, so "the future" doesn't really bother me.

The draft record is what it is. Who doesn't agree it's "questionable' and devoid of flashy talent? Why would that suddenly be a problem for someone NOW?

Obviously, a product that's won 2 of their last 10 can be improved, and at the heart of it, that's what these rants about. Rodent doesn't like losing, so he uses it as a soapbox to rail against players he personally doesn't care for. Same agenda that SO many practice around here. It's tiresome.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Mrpuck

They're a mess right now. But this is fixable. It's going to require lots of cash however, possibly eating some bad contracts with buyouts or burying people in Hartford.
The question is, will Sather do what's needed?

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:54 AM
In The Flesh

This Rangers team is my favorite brand of hockey, but I still watch. Knowing we have to watch Gomez, Drury, and Redden for the next 5+ yrs is whats troubling.

I hope I don't have to bandwagon a team out west in the POs again, thought 7 yrs was enough. Kings it is probably, if they get in, now thats a team who gets the rebuild right/doesn't **** up 7 yrs of losing.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:55 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

At this point this team has become so comically bad, that I can't just help but laugh. I'm almost watching games waiting for the other team to score to put the nail in the coffin. I mean by the time the other team scores their 2nd goal, the Rangers chance of winning in reg/ot decrease by 50% (based on averages since game 1). So yeah, things are bad.

I'm almost rooting for losses just to see some change. I don't even get that excited to see goals scored because I know only one or two will be scored all game and that they'll probably lose. As someone who is normally always an optimist, that's bad.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote