HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Helluva Rant by the Rodent...

Old
02-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Maybe - But I think in this case, the dollars were spent on players that were mediocre in the first place. Not sure they were "ruined"
Yeah, maybe "ruined" was a little extreme. We all agree that these guys are overpaid and strapping the team from adding a player or two to help them win. But...that is no excuse for them to not be at the top of thier games at a crucial point. Let's face it, Drury in Buffalo was twice the player he has been this season for the Rangers. Scotty Gomez not too long ago in a Devils sweater threw up an 84 point season. When the Rangers played against him, he was very much a factor. I understand the overpayment, but at this point where is thier game...and thier effort they used to put forth?

Funny thing is I truly like both of these players. Just wondering what the hell happened to them? The icetime is ceretanly there...but where are the intangibles that they came here with?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I never called for a coach or GM to be fired. Search any of my prior posts. Not Roger Neilson after 1992-93, not Colon Cancer during the terrible 1995 season when Neil Smith needed to give up a first rounder for Verbeek just to get us in the playoffs, not even John Muckler, Ron Low or Bryan Trottier during the horror years, though I certainly wasn't disappointed with the firing of those last 3.

But I think now it's time to change Renney and also Sather. (We should've just kept Don Maloney.)

Renney is not a bad coach, I would hire him if I managed another team, but it's time for him to leave this team.

They seemed to have quit. Or maybe they just need change.

At some point, when you hear the same thing day in and day out from your coach, but get no results, you begin to tune him out. Maybe it's not his fault. Maybe it is. Doesn't matter.

For the good of the team, change is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
http://www.hockeyrodent.com/

He talks about the NYR starting to lose the most loyal fans due to the pathetic product.

And I hate to say it he is right.

Since I was 10, every night during the season there was nothing that took precedent over a Rangers game for me.

Out with my buddies? Nope Rangers are on.

Girlfriend wants to go out? You can come over and well order chinese while I watch the game.

Hell I even based my work schedule around Rangers/Islanders/Devils/Flyers/Pens. Id make sure to take off every day for when the Rangers played any of them.

But the longer this season goes on and the more and more I watch this pathetic product that Rangers hierarchy has the balls to call a hockey team, the harder time I have to tune in to the next game after a pathetic non exciting win, or uber frustrating loss.

If I had to estimate, over the last 10 years prior to this season, Id say I have missed around 30 Rangers games total. Yet this season Id say I have missed between 15-20 games. This team just is not fun to watch and honestly I dont know how much more of this pansy ass team I can take.

What do you guys think?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Funny thing is I truly like both of these players. Just wondering what the hell happened to them? The icetime is ceretanly there...but where are the intangibles that they came here with?
But we're asking that about everyone. Even Staal has spent way too much time chasing people around the past 2 weeks. It can't just be a coincidence that everyone has hit one of the worst slumps of their career at the same exact time, can it?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:17 AM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So you would rather lose games 4-3 for 7 years than endure a bad 3 week stretch?

Gotcha.
ROFL. You think we are in a 3 week slump? You're funny.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Wow.. I can't believe what I'm reading....
Are we not the same group that pulled through the Mike Dunham/Rem Murray/Guy Herbet/Bobby Holik... years?
Hold tight and we'll pull through this one as well...
You can only take so much of that ******** before you slip a bit in caring.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:28 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
But we're asking that about everyone. Even Staal has spent way too much time chasing people around the past 2 weeks. It can't just be a coincidence that everyone has hit one of the worst slumps of their career at the same exact time, can it?
Exactly my sentiment, so either Renney has lost this team, or the team has given up on the system (kind of the same thing, but not really).

We need a change. I don't believe our personel is the problem... (although we could use a sniper and a hard hitting crease clearing dman to be serious contenders)

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

At this point i don't care if Renney stays or goes. Sather scares me alot more. This team can't be considered a legit anything, I just hope Slacks doesnt overdue it at the deadline and trade valuable assets for somekind of playoff push. And then theres the Avery situation, how much do we pay Dallas?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

But at this point in his career, Staal is still just a kid. These two are seasoned veterans. And I agree Staal seems to have either lost a little confidence, or is just in a bit of a slump, but it is an easier pill to swallow with Staal, as he is still progressing into the player everyone in the org hopes he will become. In the case of Drury and Gomez, these two should be at the peak of thier careers. And that is what is disheartening to me.

But, I understand your point. Can't be coincidence...it just shows more when there is a $14,000,000 pricetag that come swith the bad play.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

This organization has been run badly for years. I'm all for bagging Sather, but we know it's unlikely and even if it came to fruition, who is going to step in and solve this mess? Hell, can it even be solved?

Maybe a peek into the basement is exactly what this team needs. A top-15 pick could go a long way in this years draft. A taste of humble pie in the form of missing the playoffs has more impact than a losing streak.

I can understand the frustration, but in terms of my passion for this team I'm not even close to being where I was only just a few years ago.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:53 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I think the frustrating factor here is that the problems are obvious but there is so little the mgmt can do as a result of stupid cap moves and stubbornness. I'll always love this team but as far as I can remember I have never liked management at all. Some things never change.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:54 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Maybe we'll need Messier to save this franchise for a second time

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Maybe we'll need Messier to save this franchise for a second time
NO MORE OILERS.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
http://www.hockeyrodent.com/He talks about the NYR starting to lose the most loyal fans due to the pathetic product.
Then these people are not the team's most loyal fans. Loyal fans don't bail because of a horrible stretch of games. Or because some don't find the team exciting enough. Or however Rodent wants to describe "pathetic product".

Have people forgotten 1940-1994?

Have people forgotten 1998-2004?

Have people forgotten missing the playoffs in multiple years when it was a six team league?

Have people forgotten that the Rangers missed the playoffs the year before they won the Stanley Cup?

Loyal fans don't bail. That would mean they're not loyal.

02-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Do you remember how awful the Rangers were in those years?

I am in complete agreement that this team is in shambles right now and I'd like to see them clean house (as far as coaching and front office goes), but man, some people have short memories.

Longing for the days of Dan Cloutier?? Seriously??
hahahaha

i meant it was entertaining, and I was trying to get a rise of emotions here, maybe our passion and emotions we show will somehow make the Rangers team play with passion and emotions!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Nich

you know, i am an auditor/business manager/accountant, and this time of the year is the most busy time for me, and i always still try to get home in time to see part of the first period. which usually means i have to work later other nights.....

but honestly i don't plan on watching any games for the next week or so...it just puts me in a pissed off mood, and ruins my night.....seriously, what happened to playing with heart?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:12 AM
MadHookUp

Well I am not bailing, but I am not watching the games anymore. I am bored out of my mind watching this team. The entire time I am watching them, I think about other more productive/fun things I could do with my time.

I think if you force yourself to spend 3 hours of your night watching something you really dont want to watch because you want to be "loyal", then you are stupid.

And being loyal to these players is just silly. Do you think these guys are loyal to the fans? Do you think they are out there giving 100% game in game out? Gomez, Drury, and Redden are mercenaries. They came here for the money. Sorry... hard to be loyal to 3 guys who are getting paid to prevent this team from being good for many years.

BTW, I liked the rangers more during 1998-2004 than I do now.

Old
02-17-2009, 10:13 AM
In The Flesh

People are overreacting here, but we all had higher expectations for this season, since the 05-06 season, we had expectations that we wouldn't see the 2003 NYR redux. We've come pretty far the past 3 seasons, back to this crap is pissing people off and rightfully so.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

[QUOTE=MadHookUp;17981985]
Quote:
Well I am not bailing, but I am not watching the games anymore
Thats bailing.

In regards to you enjoying the 98-04 Rangers more, perhaps you can use your newfound free-time by getting a hotel room with Kevin Stevens? Maybe invite Theo Fleury over?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
People are overreacting here, but we all had higher expectations for this season, since the 05-06 season, we had expectations that we wouldn't see the 2003 NYR redux. We've come pretty far the past 3 seasons, back to this crap is pissing people off and rightfully so.
Not all of us had high expectations. In fact, I thought there were more questions than there have been in a while.

At the very least, I didn't feel the playoffs were a lock.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I didnt. Almost half the roster is different than the 07-08 team. I dont know how expecations could increase when the cast of characters changes so much. I expected this team to battle for a playoff spot, and thats just where they sit in the standings right now.

Sure, Im upset with the stretch of play over the last 3 weeks, but Im not about to jump off a bridge because of it.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:21 AM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Wow.. I can't believe what I'm reading....
Are we not the same group that pulled through the Mike Dunham/Rem Murray/Guy Herbet/Bobby Holik... years?
Hold tight and we'll pull through this one as well...
I dont think we will stop being fans. But we will probably not waste the time and/or money to watch them play if we are convinced the results arent satisfying.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:21 AM
RichterLundqvist

What a bunch of crybabies...."my team has an off year so I'm not a fan anymore!". Suck it up.

Buffalo Bills/Toronto Blue Jays fan talking here.....this aint ****. One bad season (really only a bad couple months) and everyones becoming "less" of a fan. How much of a fan were you sad sacks really before if this is all it takes.

RichterLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Nich

well i wouldn't call not watching as bailing. i am still rooting for this team, but this years team has not played with enough heart for me to make the rest of my week harder for the benefit of watching them play maybe 5 minutes of actual hockey, and then be cursing at the tv the rest of the night......

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:26 AM
MadHookUp

[QUOTE=Bleed Ranger Blue;17982032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post

Thats bailing.

In regards to you enjoying the 98-04 Rangers more, perhaps you can use your newfound free-time by getting a hotel room with Kevin Stevens? Maybe invite Theo Fleury over?
Help me understand... I found this team insanely boring to watch at the beginning of the season when we were winning. I found them boring last season... before losing Avery and Jagr. So now the team I love is insanely boring... heartless...passionless...and now rarely score let alone win games. With a few exceptions, this team doesnt care about the fans, and doesnt come to play for them.

Now because I would rather spend time with my wife, or read a good book, I am a bad fan because I dont force myself to sit down and watch a gutless team of mercenaries bore and piss me off all night?

oh... btw... unlike you I actually paid $150 dollars every year for the past 11 years for the privilege to watch this team. I wish I could go back 12 years and watch this team on a sports ticker...

Old
02-17-2009, 10:28 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not all of us had high expectations. In fact, I thought there were more questions than there have been in a while.

At the very least, I didn't feel the playoffs were a lock.
Coming into the season, I didn't think this was a playoff team after the personnel turnover. I was pleasantly surprised with their play early on, but was fearful of a collapse like this... though admittedly, I didn't think it would get this bad.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote