HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Now that Schneider plays for the Canadiens

Old
02-17-2009, 06:31 AM
kovalost27

vCash: 500
Now that Schneider plays for the Canadiens

Are we under the cap?

If yes, how much space do we have?

How does this work?

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:45 AM
MisterTrep

should be an interesting thread.. there's so many misconception about the Salary and Cap hit.

I'm in no way a hockey god... correct me if i'm wrong.

a player's cap hit and a player's salary are two differant thing.
His salary is the money that goes from the organization to the player.
cap hit = (Total contract money / contract lenght)

So when we hear people saying we will only pay the remaining 25 next games worth of salary to Schnieder... even if this information is true, he still has a cap hit of around 5 millions on our salaray cap.

But Lang cap hit doesnt count anymore because he's on IR.. so I guess we're still under the cap.

We're probably even to what our cap was at the beginning of the season.

MisterTrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Agalloch

We're still under the cap of about 500.000$

Agalloch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:52 AM
MisterTrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4ticx View Post
We're still under the cap of about 500.000$
so that means if there's a next move, roster players will be included.

Old
02-17-2009, 07:12 AM
HotHabsFan*

CKAC just said......

they just said on CKAC that BG said "he is basically done because of the cap, he will not be picking up any 5 million $ players". This doesnt make sense because there is always ways of making place !!

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
The media knows nothing.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:18 AM
cedhar

It's probably mean that if they go on a impact player, one of our big salary goes. Maybe a Kovy for another foward whoa have grit, can score 25 goals and make an impact as a leader....Who's respond to that?

cedhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Maxpac

Bouillon + Dandenault + Bégin gone= 5 mil

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Samuelson

Well, we have around 3 million left in cap space so we'd have to move someone (Kovalev)

Samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Dragon

Kovalev

Yes - I watched the last few games. Was Kovalev playing or what? I thought he was floating around!
Yes - I remember that the way he played when we got him from New York, the last 8 games of that season.
Yes - I remember how Kovalev carried the team and won the series against Bruins in first round.

Relax!

Last edited by Dragon: 02-17-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: grammar
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Gousse

Does Tanguay salary is still on the cap even if he's injure ? When he'll come back, will we still be under the cap ?

Gousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:36 AM
SAKS AVENUE

After finishing in first last year I'm sure Gainey wanted to ride this thing out with the team at hand. He believed in them probably more then we all did at the start of the season.

With the current slump it's obvious this is not The TEAM. In fact, this team and slump is so bad I personally don't think we'll even make the play-offs. Sad but True.

I'm just afraid Gainey will sit still and lose everyone to free agency and not be able to sign anyone except late August drifters and this team will blow for the next ten years. Nobody has wanted to play in Montreal since the lock-out, I'm sure word in all the dressing rooms hasn't changed.

I say give Tampa Markov or Komi get Vinny and move on. Little moves here and there are not going to help this limp a$$ club.

We are going nowhere this year.

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:51 AM
MisterTrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
After finishing in first last year I'm sure Gainey wanted to ride this thing out with the team at hand. He believed in them probably more then we all did at the start of the season.

With the current slump it's obvious this is not The TEAM. In fact, this team and slump is so bad I personally don't think we'll even make the play-offs. Sad but True.

I'm just afraid Gainey will sit still and lose everyone to free agency and not be able to sign anyone except late August drifters and this team will blow for the next ten years. Nobody has wanted to play in Montreal since the lock-out, I'm sure word in all the dressing rooms hasn't changed.

I say give Tampa Markov or Komi get Vinny and move on. Little moves here and there are not going to help this limp a$$ club.

I hope you are right !

Old
02-17-2009, 08:00 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:

You realize that their respective value is nowhere close to each other...

Markov is untouchable, period.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:05 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:

And he suddenly makes us a cup contender even if it means potentially losing Markov?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:23 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
And he suddenly makes us a cup contender even if it means potentially losing Markov?

yeah no kidding ! our big problem right now is D and goaltending and we are going to give up Marky ! arggg.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gousse View Post
Does Tanguay salary is still on the cap even if he's injure ? When he'll come back, will we still be under the cap ?
Yes, all players count on the cap no matter what. The long term injury just means that you can take the cap hit of the player on LTI and spend past the cap in that amount.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
3TB3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
they just said on CKAC that BG said "he is basically done because of the cap, he will not be picking up any 5 million $ players". This doesnt make sense because there is always ways of making place !!
but he didnt say trading away high salaried players FOR a high-salaried player

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:40 AM
neofury*

LOL so a team that is doing piss poor defensively and in goaltending should give up one of their 2 best d-man, when d has been an issue that has needed addressing for some time now, for a guy like Vinny who would make us better offensively but take a **** on us defensively due to the loss we'd get?

And just so you know, we'd likely need to give up more then just Markov or Komi just due to vinny's contract, and tampa wouldn't likely accept a dump because their GM won't be stupid, he knows Gainey will be desperate and have to give up not one but two good players for Vinny. (And because Komi is UFA)

If there's a deal it would involve Komi not Markov, Markov is untouchable. If it did involve Komi I could see a Gorges type d-man or Gorges quality d-man coming the other way possibly but that's about it, and that's if were lucky.

Anyways that's my take on it, I think we're going to make a move don't know what it is but I'm thinking Jokinen still. It's about time Koivu and his friend got to be on the same team

I think Olli could be what we need. He's a consistent goal scorer for one, a big center for two, and he would benefit from a change of scenery for three.

We give up prospects, picks and komi for Jokinen and Morris, something to that effect. I'm certain Phoenix would take the bait. You have to give up something good to get something good. We'll throw O'Byrne a "good" prospect in on top of that

EDIT: Nevermind, keep forgetting Komi is a UFA as well. Idk though it could be some sort of deal where we get Jokinen and a d-man for a d-man and prospects/picks

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTrep View Post
should be an interesting thread.. there's so many misconception about the Salary and Cap hit.

I'm in no way a hockey god... correct me if i'm wrong.

a player's cap hit and a player's salary are two differant thing.
His salary is the money that goes from the organization to the player.
cap hit = (Total contract money / contract lenght)

So when we hear people saying we will only pay the remaining 25 next games worth of salary to Schnieder... even if this information is true, he still has a cap hit of around 5 millions on our salaray cap.

But Lang cap hit doesnt count anymore because he's on IR.. so I guess we're still under the cap.

We're probably even to what our cap was at the beginning of the season.
Traded salaries, contrarily to what's been said, are both prorated for actual salary and averaged salary. I didn't think this was true until some people and I checked on another thread one or two weeks ago. Schneider's present cap hit with the Habs is around 1,6-1,8 mil.

As for Lang, we can go over the cap by the amount of his cap hit, but only one player can take up that amount.

Quote:

Holy overeaction Batman!!! Jeeze, switch to decaf, change sport, change team. Some say we fans of the Habs live in the past with our 24 cup wins, but jeeze, your reaction is even more lame than that. As if the 1995-2005 period is the norm and that's what we will always get. Lemme guess, you started watching the Habs AFTER they won their last cup, right?

Ok, quick refresher, before the last 13 games, the Habs had been 74-36-16 over the last two seasons (including this one) and what is happening right now is not related to the level of talent of the team, it is related to the lockeroom!!! With the record they had shown over the last 126 games before this 13 games drought, this much should be obvious.

But yeah, the last 13 games is NOW the norm. All hell broke lose. The team isn't worth anything anymore. Gainey won't know what to do. He will not be able to re-sign the needed UFAs when he's actually known to be able to keep the UFAs he does want to keep.

The next ten years??? Come on, we drafted some solid players who aren't even developed yet.

Some people

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Habitants

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...TL&season=0809

360k left under the cap. not much room...

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:20 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTrep View Post

This is way wrong. Atlanta has already picked up 70% of his cap hit(because 70% of the season is done), we pick up the other 30%.

If you llook on nhlnumbers you will see his cap number is 5.625, but his actual cap hit is 1.694. The 1.694 number is the one that matters to us.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:23 AM
sampollock

and by trading #27, more money free

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:37 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...TL&season=0809

360k left under the cap. not much room...
But according to that, we also have a LTIR worth $1.5M and a bonus cushion worth $2.3M so thats over $4M all together which is alot of free money to have at the deadline. We could bring in the biggest salary in the league with nothing going the other way..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:40 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
But according to that, we also have a LTIR worth $1.5M and a bonus cushion worth $2.3M so thats over $4M all together which is alot of free money to have at the deadline. We could bring in the biggest salary in the league with nothing going the other way..
Wow.. that is interesting.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote