HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pierre McGuire puts Carey Price as 3rd goalie for Canada in 2010

Old
02-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
The Olympics are next year
2009?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Max et Guillaume

It's not like he'll be playing anyways... They just want to have that goalie around, see what it's like, get ready for 2014. Makes sense to have Price there, although I wouldn't say he's a lock yet. We'll have to see. Mason, Fleury, Ward...

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Let me guess... now everyone who yesterday was saying that McGuire was a tool thinks that he's a very knowledgeable hockey man?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHockey View Post
Well since it's the 3rd string, it's basically the "useless" goalie, so if they wanna go the youth way and see what the future looks like not the present they can go with Price,Mason,Smith.

I doubt they go that way, i think they will go with goalies with a bit more NHL exp. like Fleury,Ward,Fernandez,Biron,Turco.

Of course 1 and 2 will be Luongo and Brodeur.
I look at the third goalie as being the insurance. If your playing your 3rd goalie, then chances are one of the other two absolutely dropped the ball and/or is injured. I agree that Price will represent this country at some point in time in the near future, but as it stands now, I'd like to see them bring a vet who could stabilize in that worst case scenario.

For me Turco would be the better choice as it stands now. Mind you alot can change in a year. If Price can show he's a clutch goaltender in the upcoming postseason (i.e. steal a series), then by all means I say bring him along as the 3rd. I just don't believe the 3rd goalie should be along for the ride/experiance.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:46 PM
HabsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
2009?
Are you still in 2008?

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Indeed, I was surprised when I saw that...Price has potential to become a top 5 goalie in the league,but hasn't proved much during his very short carreer in the NHL. But yeah, come 2010, I think Price will be an established and dominant goalie. When he's in the zone, he's in the zone, he just has to find that consistency,but it'll come with experience.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
its not about now, its about next year.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Habmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal View Post
Brodeur - 36 years old
Roberto Luongo - 29 years old
Carey Price - 21 years old

Makes sense to bring him up just to get ready for the future. Should be between Mason and Price.
couldn't have said it better.

Habmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:07 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
You said it, as of right now. Turco and Ward were absolutely HORRIBLE for half a season, especially Turco...

Mason is the only other legitimate candidate, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's still a rookie and he's prone to inconsistency, look at our own Carey Price.
I agree on the poor starts by Turco and ward

As for Mason, he definitely has not been inconsistent, rookie or not. Will he hit a rough patch later? maybe. But he hasn't yet. The kid helps himself with uncanny rebound control. You don't see much bouncing back into the slot. consistency is actually his biggest asset thus far in his Jr and pro career

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:20 AM
shealy04

Quote:
You said it, as of right now. Turco and Ward were absolutely HORRIBLE for half a season, especially Turco...

Mason is the only other legitimate candidate, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's still a rookie and he's prone to inconsistency, look at our own Carey Price.
Mason is the product of a great defensive system... every single goalie that plays for Columbus posts SICK numbers... it's Hitchcock, not Mason.

Here is a great post by Dobber that does a nice job of summing it up:

"The line on goalie Dan Lacosta: two NHL starts, two wins, one shutout and .950, 1.54. Tell me again how great Columbus' goalies are, and how they have nothing to do with the system they play. Last year Leclaire had seven shutouts by November. This year, Steve Mason is the second coming of Martin Brodeur. And now LaCosta is Patrick Roy. C'mon, goalies who are good become great thanks to the coaching system and goalies who are great become legends. Brodeur would be a top-10 goalie in another team's system, but in New Jersey he has become the best probably in history. No way that happens as a Leaf. Mason will be the same way. Don't believe me? Just ask superstar Scott Clemmensen whether it's the team system or his own talent."

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Maurice Richard*

All i can say is Thank GOD that McGuire doesnt pick the team .Mason is and will be a better goalie , he was more dominant at the WJC than price was ..Price let in some horrible goals during that WJC but Team Canada overcame his shaky goaltending .The only worse goalie performance would of been "score on my own net" Fleury .

Maurice Richard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Richard View Post
All i can say is Thank GOD that McGuire doesnt pick the team .Mason is and will be a better goalie , he was more dominant at the WJC than price was ..Price let in some horrible goals during that WJC but Team Canada overcame his shaky goaltending .The only worse goalie performance would of been "score on my own net" Fleury .
What the PUCK

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:05 AM
shealy04

Quote:

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Habs

Never take the word of a man, who colors his eyebrows.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
WTF you talking about dude

He was the fricking MVP of the tournament and saved our ***** in the semi-finals...

see Ape Clutch, there's an example of what you were talking about in your thread. A typical bandwagonner. Ignore list FTW.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:13 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
WTF you talking about dude

He was the fricking MVP of the tournament and saved our ***** in the semi-finals...

see Ape Clutch, there's an example of what you were talking about in your thread. A typical bandwagonner. Ignore list FTW.
you are really suiting your sig today huh ? its good to have a hero today (AC)

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Tricolore#20

I found it interesting that Pierre McGuire's reason for taking Price was that "he's played in that building before, and feels comfortable." Is that true? Sunday night was the only time as a professional he played in that building, and it was for less than 10 minutes, and he faced a couple of shots at most.

He never played there in junior, because the Giants play at Pacific Coliseum. He also didn't play during the 2006 World Juniors, which were held at GM Place, as he was cut. That leaves pre-junior, and I'm not sure whether playing at GM Place as a young boy equates to anything. Surely, with Mason playing in the Western Conference, and other goalies like Turco and Giguere having had playoff series at GM Place, they would have had more exposure to the "building"

I just thought it was weird reasoning from McGuire, and it was almost like he didn't have a reason. He probably just thinks Price is a great goalie, in a slump right now, and that he'll rebound.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Tricolore#20

His exact quote was this:

"I give Carey Price a little bit of an edge, because he's from BC. He's played in that rink before, he understands it, and I've watched him play at the World Juniors, just like Steve Mason. Just a little edge to Carey Price."

It just doesn't make sense.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:23 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shealy04 View Post
Mason is the product of a great defensive system... every single goalie that plays for Columbus posts SICK numbers... it's Hitchcock, not Mason.

Here is a great post by Dobber that does a nice job of summing it up:

"The line on goalie Dan Lacosta: two NHL starts, two wins, one shutout and .950, 1.54. Tell me again how great Columbus' goalies are, and how they have nothing to do with the system they play. Last year Leclaire had seven shutouts by November. This year, Steve Mason is the second coming of Martin Brodeur. And now LaCosta is Patrick Roy. C'mon, goalies who are good become great thanks to the coaching system and goalies who are great become legends. Brodeur would be a top-10 goalie in another team's system, but in New Jersey he has become the best probably in history. No way that happens as a Leaf. Mason will be the same way. Don't believe me? Just ask superstar Scott Clemmensen whether it's the team system or his own talent."

Amen.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
His exact quote was this:

"I give Carey Price a little bit of an edge, because he's from BC. He's played in that rink before, he understands it, and I've watched him play at the World Juniors, just like Steve Mason. Just a little edge to Carey Price."

It just doesn't make sense.
Mcguire is a habs fan that's why.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
If Mason was so dominant, how come the coach had to alternate between Bernier and Mason at the beginning of the tournament instead of just giving the #1 spot to Mason at the beginning?

I don't understand your assessment of Price's performance in the WJC, he was dominant and won all his games. And it's safe to say that he stole the game for Canada against the USA in overtime during Letang's penalty. Horrible goals? He had a GAA of 1.14 and 2 shutouts, and only 7 goals against during the ENTIRE tournament. I never knew that a goalie who plays for Canada has to shutout every team to be deemed as good.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote