HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Helluva Rant by the Rodent...

Old
02-17-2009, 12:45 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Perhaps. However I think its highly unlikely that Drury and Gomez have two sub-par years in a row. Coupled with a coaching change next season, we might be better off that you'd think, provided we have the space to re-sign all of our upcoming RFAs.

Who knows, maybe a return to a 30 goal season for Drury and 75+ points for Gomez is in the cards.
I might be too optimistic, but I believe this is very possible.

I can't believe people are jumping off the ship after 3/4 of a mediocre year. What kind of fans are these? This is a franchise that didn't win a playoff series for 21 years, and people stayed fans then. I really just can't believe this attitude.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante 71 View Post
There isn't one player on this team that is exciting to watch. Every team has at least one guy that is amazing and is worth the price of admission.

Ducks- Ryan Getzlaf, Perry, Pronger
Thrashers- Kovalchuk
Bruins- Savard, Chara, Kessel
Sabres- Vanek, Pominville
Flames- Iginla, Cammalleri
Hurricanes- Staal
Blackhawks- Kane, Toews, Havlat
Avalanche- Sakic, Hejduk, Smyth
Bluejackets- Nash
Stars- Modano, Richards, Morrow
Red Wings- lol
Oilers- Hemsky, Horcoff, Cogliano
Panthers- Horton, Frolik, Bouwmeester
Kings- Kopitar, Brown, Doughty
Wild- Gaborik
Canadiens- Kostitsyns, Koivu, Kovalev
Predators- Arnott, Weber
Devils- Parise
Islanders- wow this might be the only other team
Rangers- ?
Senators- Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson
Flyers- Richards, Gagne, Carter
Coyotes- Mueller, Boedker, Turris
Penguins- Crosby, Malkin
Sharks- Thornton, Cheechoo, Setoguchi
Blues- Boyes, Oshie
Lightning- Lecavalier, St.Louis, Stamkos
Leafs- Kaberle, Schenn
Canucks- Sedins, Sundin
Capitals- Ovechkin, Green, Semin, Backstrom
you have the Kositsynbs, Koivu, Boyes, Kabrele and Kovalev, but no Zherdev

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
A fair weather fan roots for the team only when they are winning. I live in Philly, I know all about them.

When you watch this team, what can you hope for? If you are the type of person that gets excited over a 2-1 win with very little offensive action, then you can probably stomach this team.

I think you can group the fans on this forum into 2 groups.

1.) People that love Hockey, and chose the Rangers as their favorite team.
2.) People that love the Rangers more than hockey.

I for one, love Hockey. I love watching passionate hockey. I love open ice hitting, agitators, breakaways, fast pace action, big checks, scoring, and character.

This team does not offer any of that. This team is to go out on the ice every game, pray its a zero-zero tie and win it in shootout. Most other teams in the NHL play to win. So for the HOCKEY fans, this team is painful to watch.

I think the deep frustration you are seeing now compared to other bad years, is caused by the Salary Cap. You see.. with the Rangers there was always hope. We have no hope now. Unless by some miracle Redden, Drury, or Gomez is traded, this team will get worse every year for the next several years.

We are currently against the cap. We have several players due to get some good raises, and the cap is suppose to go down. How will they get paid? Where are we going to get good, low salary scoring wingers? They dont exactly grow on trees and they aren't in our system. We cannot sign a Gaborik or Kovy because Redden, Drury, and Gomez.

So what exactly do we have to look foward to? We CANNOT afford this team next season. How sad is it that we cannot afford to keep this crappy team together next season?

Redden, Drury, and Gomez have destroyed this team for years to come. At the very least you would hope this team would show up to play each night, but they wont even do that. I think its ridiculous to expect people to watch a hopeless team that doesnt care about its fans.
Its one thing if this team was playing the same hockey they did and were winning. Its another if they were playing high scoring fast paced exciting games and were loosing.

Its an all together different thing to watch a team not show up night after night and play the most boring hockey that is known to gods green earth. Its not a question of being a fair weather fan, its a question of how much can any fan endure of this pathetic thing the Rangers organization is trying to call a hockey team.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So you would rather lose games 4-3 for 7 years than endure a bad 3 week stretch?

Gotcha.
Bad 3 week stretch...oh boy.

What are you smoking and can I have some.

I haven't missed a Ranger game for 15 years, unless I had work or needed to go to the hospital. Last night, I chose to play NHL 2009 on PS3 over watching the Rangers lose again. This team is losing even me...quite possibly their most passionate fan ever.

Thanks Dolan and Sather.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McMonster

Quote:
Zherdev dangling and eventually losing the puck isn't exciting... at all

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Oh yeah, he's really electric out there. All of those 16 goals of his.

Old
02-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Yes, there have been worse times, but this team also has the worst Powerplay in over four decades and we are stuck with 3 overpaid bums for the next 3+ years in a salary cap era.

Ironically, fix ONLY the power play and these players can probably begin earning their paychecks

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Zherdev dangling and eventually losing the puck isn't exciting... at all
Kovalev does the exact... same... thing. Dont even try to pretend otherwise. He has what, 10 goals now?

Old
02-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Ironically, fix ONLY the power play and these players can probably begin earning their paychecks
How do you fix the power play unless you actually fix the power play by getting better talent?

I love how simple some of you make it sound. Like, oh yeah, if only the Rangers scored 55 more power play goals this year, they'd be a top 4 team!

Old
02-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Oh yeah, he's really electric out there. All of those 16 goals of his.
How many does Koivu have then????

Old
Jersey Girl

The obvious difference between this 'slump', and the really bad years, is that in the past, whether it was Smith or Sather, you always thought things could turn around the next summer. Sometimes it didn't, but there was always optimism we could sign/trade for someone who could turn us around like Messier did.

Seems like the light at the end of the tunnel right now, however, is five years down the road. There is no realistic expectation there can be significant changes over the summer.

Talk about buying out Redden or the others, trading them, or burying them in the minors all you want, it's not happenning. Despite having more job security than Fidel Castro, Sather will not do anything that admits he made a mistake, and he would be unable to do anything with the bad contracts even if he wanted to...which he doesn't for reasons stated above.

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 02-17-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Balej20*

Quote:
Kovalev does the exact... same... thing. Dont even try to pretend otherwise. He has what, 10 goals now?
Kovalev is a proven 35-40 goal scorer over his long career. He is as dynamic as they come with the puck. Because he's having a slow year, he's equal to Zherdev? Come on.

Old
02-17-2009, 12:59 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
There isn't one player on this team that is exciting to watch. Every team has at least one guy that is amazing and is worth the price of admission.
Islanders- wow this might be the only other team
Take a look at Kyle Okposo some time.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
How many does Koivu have then????
I'm not trying to compare him straight up with guys on that list. I'm just saying he's not exciting to watch night in and night out. Over half the games he's sleepwalking anyway. Last I checked, that's not all that exciting to watch out on the ice.

Old
02-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Kovalev is a proven 35-40 goal scorer over his long career. He is as dynamic as they come with the puck. Because he's having a slow year, he's equal to Zherdev? Come on.
I think Kovalev and Zherdev represent almost the exact same player. And no, Kovalev isnt a proven 35-40 goal scorer. in 1130 games he has 380 goals. Thats a 25 goal scorer. And a lot of his best years were with some great talent on the Pens. You can have your opinion but i'm never going to agree with you claiming that Kovalev is more interesting than Zherdev.

Old
02-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Check your facts, Kovalev has hit 40 goals once and 30 goals two other times in his 18 year career

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Then these people are not the team's most loyal fans. Loyal fans don't bail because of a horrible stretch of games. Or because some don't find the team exciting enough. Or however Rodent wants to describe "pathetic product".

Have people forgotten 1940-1994?

Have people forgotten 1998-2004?

Have people forgotten missing the playoffs in multiple years when it was a six team league?

Have people forgotten that the Rangers missed the playoffs the year before they won the Stanley Cup?

Loyal fans don't bail. That would mean they're not loyal.
Rodent never said anything about fans bailing or jumping ship, what he did say is that a boring product on the ice (and the fact that the salary cap makes changes difficult) is sapping the life out of Ranger fans and that there is less traffic on message boards. Doesn't seem like much of a revelation, just the truth.

"Love the Rangers... Despise the Rangers... that's nothing but goodness to those fine folks at Penn Plaza. Just don't ever ignore the Rangers.

Evidently, that's precisely what's happening.

I spoke at length with Bird Monday about whether this sensation of shrinkage is real or imagined. By "shrinkage", I'm referring to the apparent waning of message board traffic by many of the regulars. And it's not just here. I'm seeing it all over Al Gore's interweb.

Bird assured me it's very real. And he related a conversation he had with Pete Rocha who runs Rangerland about this very topic. Pete's observation is that this winter has seen considerable apathy. This is in contrast to the emotions associated with those lean years just before the lockout."

http://www.hockeyrodent.com/

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
How do you fix the power play unless you actually fix the power play by getting better talent?

I love how simple some of you make it sound. Like, oh yeah, if only the Rangers scored 55 more power play goals this year, they'd be a top 4 team!
That assumes you think the talent is the problem. (opens door to yet another groundless rant on what players Balej20 hates and why)

"The most passionate fan ever" should easily recognize that the strategy is a disaster, that the players way too close in, follow up mindlessly simple over-passing with a hopeless hail mary to no-one, can't commit to a one-timer (except for Mara), won't allow themselves to outnumber the opponent across the blue line, etc, etc, etc. If know-nothing Mike Milbury can identify 3 major things wrong with on a telestrator, I'd think it would be pretty obvious to everyone that the strategy does not work.

Old
02-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringUpBobby View Post
Check your facts, Kovalev has hit 40 goals once and 30 goals two other times in his 18 year career
And that once was playing with two guys named Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr in 2001.

Old
02-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
know-nothing Mike Milbury can identify 3 major things wrong with on a telestrator, I'd think it would be pretty obvious to everyone that the strategy does not work.
Milbury did hit the nail on the head the other day...on the PP we have three guys BELOW the circles and WAY TOO MUCH space between the forward on the halfboards and the pointman. It was blatantly obvious on the 5 on 3 that Richards scored on. They're not using open space enough to move the opposition and open lanes.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:07 PM
OverTheCap

I'm so sick of the condescending and self-righteous "you're not a true fan if you don't like this team" arguments. Everyone's going to have a different opinion of this team and management.

I think what's so disconcerting is that the Dark Ages were only five years ago and now the Rangers are dangerously close to not making the playoffs again and are cap-strapped for years to come. The game at the Garden on Sunday was eerily reminiscient of the Dark Ages. I don't think the fans want to endure that again, although the Dark Ages did have some players that were exciting to watch.

The Rangers have progressed every year since the lockout and now they seem to have regressed this season. Sather made some bad moves the past few offseasons, and it's disappointing to think that our star goaltender is entering his prime but his efforts are wasted because the rest of the team is garbage. The bland personality and lack of heart and hustle demonstrated by most of the players makes the team difficult to watch.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
That assumes you think the talent is the problem. (opens door to yet another groundless rant on what players Balej20 hates and why)

"The most passionate fan ever" should easily recognize that the strategy is a disaster, that the players way too close in, follow up mindlessly simple over-passing with a hopeless hail mary to no-one, can't commit to a one-timer (except for Mara), won't allow themselves to outnumber the opponent across the blue line, etc, etc, etc. If know-nothing Mike Milbury can identify 3 major things wrong with on a telestrator, I'd think it would be pretty obvious to everyone that the strategy does not work.
That, and grouping together the likes of Markus Naslund (way past his prime), Scott Gomez (wasn't even able to get it done with talent on his wings a la Jaromir Jagr, Brendan Shanahan, Marty Straka, Zherdev, etc) and Chris Drury who has had one, count it ONE good scoring season in his career. Maybe it's the players commitment to success as well. It's not so black and white as you like to see it.

And thanks for the 5th grade jab. Very mature coming from a person in a position of "power."

Old
02-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringUpBobby View Post
Milbury did hit the nail on the head the other day...on the PP we have three guys BELOW the circles and WAY TOO MUCH space between the forward on the halfboards and the pointman. It was blatantly obvious on the 5 on 3 that Richards scored on. They're not using open space enough to move the opposition and open lanes.
I loved the illustration of 2 Ranger players standing together in the crease, so close they were almost touching. I mean, seriously, who designed that play?

Old
02-17-2009, 01:12 PM
McMonster

Quote:
He's having a bad season. Last year he had like 35+

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Bad 3 week stretch...oh boy.

What are you smoking and can I have some.

I haven't missed a Ranger game for 15 years, unless I had work or needed to go to the hospital. Last night, I chose to play NHL 2009 on PS3 over watching the Rangers lose again. This team is losing even me...quite possibly their most passionate fan ever.

Thanks Dolan and Sather.
You're the guy that authored a thread complaining about Lundqvist's glove hand, so its quite obvious you'll whine just for the sake of whining. Up until 3 weeks ago, the Rangers were steadily accumulating points in the standings. Sure they had problems then, but they were finding ways to comfortably stay in a playoff position. Their play over the last 10 games or so actually warrants complaining. Its no surprise that the people that were complaining while we sat near the top of the conference are the ones who have kicked it up a notch and are abandoning ship now.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote