HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Happy about the Schneider trade?

View Poll Results: Happy about Gainey getting Schneider for 2nd and 3rd pick
Yes 345 73.56%
No 124 26.44%
Voters: 469. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-17-2009, 11:20 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It deflects blame away from Carbonneau. Schneider only has two PP points this season (Being on the second unit of a higher ranked powerplay). He's a minus 10. He's older and has had two injuries already this season. The thing I like about the deal is his experience and play-off experience but being old and a veteran doesn't make him a leader. I also like that he can move the puck out of our own zone and start the offence.
That is correct for now but even with Schneider if the team continues to lose Carbo is out. Give it 3 games or so.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
That is correct for now but even with Schneider if the team continues to lose Carbo is out. Give it 3 games or so.
I don't believe it. Gainey already, even before the end of the season, talking how injuries changed everything this year so they already have the perfect excuse to comeback with the same team and the same coach.

By the way, anybody have the list of the man/game/injury per team this year?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:31 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't believe it. Gainey already, even before the end of the season, talking how injuries changed everything this year so they already have the perfect excuse to comeback with the same team and the same coach.

By the way, anybody have the list of the man/game/injury per team this year?
The latest issue of the Hockey News had it. I don’t have it in front of me, but I remember the Habs were around #15 for most man games lost.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Corgidequebec

I like the move to get Schneider but I honestly would've liked this deal to have been made 6 weeks ago to booster the PP.

Corgidequebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:17 PM
le_sean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgidequebec View Post
I like the move to get Schneider but I honestly would've liked this deal to have been made 6 weeks ago to booster the PP.
6 weeks ago the Habs did not have the caproom, though.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

I like the trade now that we get the conditional pick back.. how can't you?

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:57 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
I'm happy with this deal if we consider the conditional pick. We needed a defensemen with a decent one timer that can hit the net so bad.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:37 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It deflects blame away from Carbonneau. Schneider only has two PP points this season (Being on the second unit of a higher ranked powerplay). He's a minus 10. He's older and has had two injuries already this season. The thing I like about the deal is his experience and play-off experience but being old and a veteran doesn't make him a leader. I also like that he can move the puck out of our own zone and start the offence.
WTK, your last point is the most important one of all.

Will we see our Powerplay improve with Schneider? I believe we will. He will provide much more balance. As it stands now, most teams clog up down low so that the skilled Montreal forwards can't go cross crease, and they essentially leave the points open because they don't fear the options back there.

With Schneider and Markov, that's no longer the case.

But his impact will be felt even more playing five on five. To add another defenseman that can make the quick outlet passes (and stretch passes) is way more important. The Canadiens, at their best, are a team that skates its opposition into the ground and ultimately tires them out. It's hard to do that when you're standing still waiting for Ryan O'Byrne to chip it off the glass to you. Adding Schneider to the mix will reap big benefits and will help this team play the system Carbonneau and his staff have designed.

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:38 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

I'm not not happy...how's this for an answer?

seriously, won't know until our next PP

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:53 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
My first impression is that this trade is absolutely terrible.

I don't see how anyone can be pleased with this. Of all the pending UFA dman, Schneider is the best we can come up with?

And to top it all off, we give up Anaheim's 2nd rounder (possibly in the 45 range) in a deep draft and a 3rd rounder next year. We now have no 2nd and no 3rd in 2010.

I know this is HF and we overrate picks, but give me a break BG, this trade reeks of desperation. A 39 year old washed up guy who at best might help our PP a little bit.

Absolute joke of trade.

Edit: Just so everyone knows, Schneider has 4 PP points in 44 games this year.
The second and third round picks weren't going to help the Habs this year but i think Schneider will , in fact I think his experience , character and leadership are qualities that this team was sorely lacking and very difficult to measure in terms of draft picks . In essence Gainey traded an '09 second rounder for Schneider and a '10 third rounder for an '09 conditional third , fourth or fifth rounder , maybe it's just me but i fail to see how it "reeks of desperation" .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
The second and third round picks weren't going to help the Habs this year but i think Schneider will , in fact I think his experience , character and leadership are qualities that this team was sorely lacking and very difficult to measure in terms of draft picks . In essence Gainey traded an '09 second rounder for Schneider and a '10 third rounder for an '09 conditional third , fourth or fifth rounder , maybe it's just me but i fail to see how it "reeks of desperation" .
Yeah me too. I just don't see it. Its a trade to bulster an aspect that is lacking. Point shot on the PP, more experience on defense and better outlet passes.

Getting a guy we propted 20 years ago, who won a cup and still had 0,60 PPG last season with a +/- of +22... for so less in a trade. Its a good move, and it doesn't seem desperate, because even if the team kept winning like it did before 13 games ago, BG would still have made this move, its something he had been looking at since early this season, he even said he was waiting to be able to fit players under the cap before making the moves to acquire them, and the rumors about Schneider are from October/November of 08.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

IMO we cannot evaluate this trade until the draft and/or the 2010 draft. Gainey may just get back a 2nd pick in an alternate move before the draft. He's been known to do this. A good example is how he acquired Mike Johnson for a 4th round pick and traded Zednik to Florida for a 3rd pick back. Not only did he recover the 4th lost but the 3rd coming for Zed was a better pick and round. He also acquired the 2nd in the Huet move and he acquired a 2nd for Grabovski then used it on Lang. I think the reason he got the 2nd pick for Huet was he had full intention of trading the 2nd for a player which he did. Gainey tends to restock his picks regularly. So, in short I think we need to wait on this before we really evaluate it.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote