HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How far will the oilers make it if nedved signs

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2004, 04:49 AM
smyth94_nedved93

vCash: 500
How far will the oilers make it if nedved signs

the cup finals

Old
08-18-2004, 08:14 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
I like the smilies too.

Old
08-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
I like the smilies too.

Old
08-18-2004, 08:59 AM
Mr Sakich

in every major orth American sport, a trend is becomming very obvious - high payrolls do not guaranttee a trip to the finals or the cup. Once the playoffs begin, the best "team", not the best collection of individuals, will do well. If the Oilers make the playoffs, we could be treated to an exhilarating first round loss to the Stars or a long run. The trick is to get them there.

IMO, Nedved and steady goaltending gets us into the playoffs.

Old
08-18-2004, 09:10 AM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
in every major orth American sport, a trend is becomming very obvious - high payrolls do not guaranttee a trip to the finals or the cup. Once the playoffs begin, the best "team", not the best collection of individuals, will do well. If the Oilers make the playoffs, we could be treated to an exhilarating first round loss to the Stars or a long run. The trick is to get them there.

IMO, Nedved and steady goaltending gets us into the playoffs.

I believe we can make the playoffs WITHOUT Nedved IF we got better goaltending & had a more healthy team last season, there's no doubt in my mind about that. I think WITH Nedved gets us AT LEAST to the 2nd round, from there on, who knows.

Old
08-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
I don't know guys. I wouldn't count your chickens until they're hatched.

Old
08-18-2004, 09:50 AM
zamboni

Who knows right now? We could be anywhere from out of a playoff spot to past the first round...

Old
08-18-2004, 01:12 PM
jadeddog

yeah depending on injuries and goaltending, we could finish anywhere from 7th-11th.... but i would be surprised to see us finish higher or lower than that

as far as playoffs goes, *if* we get in, i could see us maybe upsetting somebody in the 1st round, but i dont really see it going further than that

Old
08-18-2004, 01:22 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
yeah depending on injuries and goaltending, we could finish anywhere from 7th-11th.... but i would be surprised to see us finish higher or lower than that

as far as playoffs goes, *if* we get in, i could see us maybe upsetting somebody in the 1st round, but i dont really see it going further than that
Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty sober look at things. Even with Nedved and at least a goaltending tandem that doesn't suck sewer, there's still lots of questions about this team:

-Will Conkannen give us a solid duo like Fernandez/Roloson, or will we have a remake of Essensa/Shtalenkhov?

-Which Nedved will show up? The PPG first shot scorer we saw after we got him, or the pseudo-first liner that plays the victim for every other quality first line in the NHL?

-Can the special teams get any better? Surely they can't bottom out any worse.

-Can York stay healthy?

-Will Brewer break out, or is this as good as it gets?

-Can Semenov fulfill on the promise that supposedly led to the justification for trading Niinimaa?

-Can Ulanov give us another solid showing, or was last year a mirage helped by him not having to play a full season?

-Will Staios get run into the ground again?

-Will Hemsky become more man than boy?

I have confidence they can make the playoffs, but really...this team could finish anywhere from 5th to 12th IMO given the right circumstances.

Old
08-18-2004, 01:34 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Good job on the questions that the Oilers will have to answer, digger. However, we've seen that during the past five years, the Oilers have been pretty consistent during the regular season, getting between the 88-93 point range. What changes, are the other teams competing in the West, with Calgary and Nashville last year, and Minnesota the year before etc.

I think some of your questions will be answered and some will not. But when a player falters, another will always step up, which is why the team has been so consistent and competitive year after year. Hopefully this year, with Nedved in the mix, they'd have an extra guy stepping up and help us reach the 2nd round of the playoffs and beyond.

Old
08-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Good job on the questions that the Oilers will have to answer, digger. However, we've seen that during the past five years, the Oilers have been pretty consistent during the regular season, getting between the 88-93 point range. What changes, are the other teams competing in the West, with Calgary and Nashville last year, and Minnesota the year before etc.

I think some of your questions will be answered and some will not. But when a player falters, another will always step up, which is why the team has been so consistent and competitive year after year. Hopefully this year, with Nedved in the mix, they'd have an extra guy stepping up and help us reach the 2nd round of the playoffs and beyond.
Seriously...imagine this board if the Oilers managed to win a playoff round? It'd be fricking bedlam in here. 24 hour PARTY.

'98 seems so very long ago...and watching the Red Mile every damn night on CBC didn't help my disposition any.

Old
08-18-2004, 02:22 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Seriously...imagine this board if the Oilers managed to win a playoff round? It'd be fricking bedlam in here. 24 hour PARTY.

'98 seems so very long ago...and watching the Red Mile every damn night on CBC didn't help my disposition any.
I know huh. If the Oilers win a playoff round, I'm thinking of flying up there to party with you guys.

Old
08-18-2004, 02:26 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty sober look at things. Even with Nedved and at least a goaltending tandem that doesn't suck sewer, there's still lots of questions about this team:

-Will Conkannen give us a solid duo like Fernandez/Roloson, or will we have a remake of Essensa/Shtalenkhov?

-Which Nedved will show up? The PPG first shot scorer we saw after we got him, or the pseudo-first liner that plays the victim for every other quality first line in the NHL?

-Can the special teams get any better? Surely they can't bottom out any worse.

-Can York stay healthy?

-Will Brewer break out, or is this as good as it gets?

-Can Semenov fulfill on the promise that supposedly led to the justification for trading Niinimaa?

-Can Ulanov give us another solid showing, or was last year a mirage helped by him not having to play a full season?

-Will Staios get run into the ground again?

-Will Hemsky become more man than boy?

I have confidence they can make the playoffs, but really...this team could finish anywhere from 5th to 12th IMO given the right circumstances.
All good points, Digger. I think that the powerplay and goaltending are the keys. That and avoiding injury to Smyth ... and a healthy York and Dvorak are important too.

Also, would really help if Reasoner came back at something close to form.

This team has a lot of good 5on5 players, especially forwards. It is tough to imagine that they won't be a good 5on5 team again. But the rest of it ... anything could happen.

Old
08-18-2004, 02:40 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
That's a very valid point. This year I would expect an add on to that note about the other teams though.

What are Detroit, Colorado, St Louis and Dallas going to do? I would suggest that so far they are looking to fall back somewhat and be less dominant. The trickle down effect could totally shake up the West this year. Unless I am missing something, it would be hard to convince me that all of these teams didn't get even just a tad worse (perhaps with Quenneville being the lone wild card in Colorado).

As far as the Oilers being pretty consistent over the past 5 years, this is the first year in a while where the changes are very minimal and the changes that are occuring aren't about replacing key cogs but instead suplimenting the talent that is already here. Obviously they have yet to prove it out on the ice but in the beating a deadhorse category, I would expect at the very minimum marginal improvement on the points total of last year.

Old
08-18-2004, 03:04 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
That's a very valid point. This year I would expect an add on to that note about the other teams though.

What are Detroit, Colorado, St Louis and Dallas going to do? I would suggest that so far they are looking to fall back somewhat and be less dominant. The trickle down effect could totally shake up the West this year. Unless I am missing something, it would be hard to convince me that all of these teams didn't get even just a tad worse (perhaps with Quenneville being the lone wild card in Colorado).

As far as the Oilers being pretty consistent over the past 5 years, this is the first year in a while where the changes are very minimal and the changes that are occuring aren't about replacing key cogs but instead suplimenting the talent that is already here. Obviously they have yet to prove it out on the ice but in the beating a deadhorse category, I would expect at the very minimum marginal improvement on the points total of last year.
Ya, they are still a young team, and on average young players get better every year. About 4.5% pointswise and a bit better than 1 +/- wise. Like clockwork, been the same for decades. And they are able to handle more difficult game situations as they develop too. So just by virtue of the fact that the Oilers won't lose anybody this year ... they should be a bit better.

Nedved (who seems very likely to become an Oiler now) ... he'll likely be a detriment at 5on5, but hopefully he'll spark the woeful powerplay at least a bit, and possibly help the Oilers 4on4 game too (a long term weakness of this club).

And goaltending, as with all teams, is uber-important.

As you suggest ... the overall talent level in the league doesn't change much every year, just the distribution of the talent changes. And teams like STL just don't look very good right now. DET, DAL and COL are very good teams ... but they aren't aren't getting any younger, their key guys especially. As it stands now L.A and ANA seem to be reducing payroll ... and CHI, CBJ and PHX are improving but not close to 90 points next year IMO (barring a world-beating goalie performance somewhere). I guess we'll have a better feel for things when the dust settles and the UFAs get signed somewhere.

Old
08-18-2004, 03:08 PM
oiled

I dont see why everyone is doubting conklin i think he is coming into his own IE getting that goilie of the tournament award beating out goilies such as loungo so i think we should put are faith in conklin im sure this will be his breakout season

Old
08-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiled
I dont see why everyone is doubting conklin i think he is coming into his own IE getting that goilie of the tournament award beating out goilies such as loungo so i think we should put are faith in conklin im sure this will be his breakout season
I somewhat agree, but it is far from being a sure thing, but I think we need to at least give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

As far as how far we'll make it in the playoffs with Nedved... I honestly don't think he'll make that much of a differance. We have a team that has been built to succeed in the playoffs IMO. Nedved is a guy that's primary use is to help in the regular season. Don't get me wrong, he'll be a useful player for us come playoff time as well, but I'd expect much less, seeing less even strength time and more PP time.

I can honestly say I feel more confident with this Oil team to succeed in the playoffs since any that haven't included Cujo and Weight, and depending on how Conks play's even more so.

Closed Thread