HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Bylsma Q&A

Old
02-17-2009, 12:33 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

vCash: 500
Dan Bylsma Q&A

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=409682

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:57 PM
AgentM

I like the confidence that Bylsma has in himself, he seems ready to come in here and put his mark on the way the teams plays. I hope his aggressive approach both on offense and in the PK take hold.

I think this team will be at its best attacking the other team and using the skating skill that we have. And not just the forwards, how many teams have defensemen that can skate as well as Letang, Gonchar, Orpik, and Whitney? I hope that he encourages them to jump into the play when they see the opportunity to do so.

Also he seems to have a strong relationship with Yeo. Hopefully Therrien was forcing Yeo to run the PP his way and that under Bylsma things will work differently. Having some flow to the PP would be as welcome a change as an aggressive PK!

AgentM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:12 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Good read. After Therriens way I think it is good to have a guy like this in. We will see how the next 24 go. I did notice though it seems everything came from the top. Therrien had a lot of influence on this team from top to bottom.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
mashsoccer37

It seems like he has a lot of things to "draw upon", swear the guy said a dozen times in that interview. I like what he had to say.

I have a good feeling about this coaching shake-up.. I truly feel that this team is going to build on this shake-up and make the playoffs. Actually, I think we'll play well and I'm predicting NYR and Montreal to plummet in the standings, along with Florida, who has a couple wicked games coming up.

mashsoccer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Gooch

The thing I am really worried about with Bylsma is he might be too much like Therrien as far as his system is the same and he doesnt seem to really want to change things up all that much. The more I read in that article/interview the more unsettled about him I became. I especially didnt like the part of him running the same system in WBS as the pens have and seemed to use a lot of sports cliche's like we need to be aggresive and move north/south and all... things that basically Therrien has said at some time or another but when the system is the same then it's all going to be the same.

His lineups were also a little too familiar to the Therrien lineups.. Also he seems totally content with Yeo running the powerplay just because Yeo was the guy he talked to on the phone during the call ups... I mean I guess thats how things are with an interim, but the more I read the more I do hope this is just in fact an interim.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Sixty Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
The thing I am really worried about with Bylsma is he might be too much like Therrien as far as his system is the same and he doesnt seem to really want to change things up all that much. The more I read in that article/interview the more unsettled about him I became. I especially didnt like the part of him running the same system in WBS as the pens have and seemed to use a lot of sports cliche's like we need to be aggresive and move north/south and all... things that basically Therrien has said at some time or another but when the system is the same then it's all going to be the same.

His lineups were also a little too familiar to the Therrien lineups.. Also he seems totally content with Yeo running the powerplay just because Yeo was the guy he talked to on the phone during the call ups... I mean I guess thats how things are with an interim, but the more I read the more I do hope this is just in fact an interim.
I don't get how he could really change the lineup much... He is given the same pool of players. Only thing that I may have done different is something like... fed/crosby/cooke... kennedy/staal/dupuis

Sixty Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Samuelsson View Post
I don't get how he could really change the lineup much... He is given the same pool of players. Only thing that I may have done different is something like... fed/crosby/cooke... kennedy/staal/dupuis
He still had Crosby and Dupuis out together in OT, and put the Gill/Scuderi pair out there instead of putting one of them with either Whitney or Letang. That Cooke/Crosby/Fed is a much much better line than what we had out there. Also, if we cant put 3 quality lines out then lets put out 2, no sense watering down the quality so that the lines are too ineffective.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Sixty Six

Quote:
He still had Crosby and Dupuis out together in OT, and put the Gill/Scuderi pair out there instead of putting one of them with either Whitney or Letang. That Cooke/Crosby/Fed is a much much better line than what we had out there. Also, if we cant put 3 quality lines out then lets put out 2, no sense watering down the quality so that the lines are too ineffective.
I just don't see how you can make major changes when the 20 guys suiting up are the same... I would maybe tinker a thing or two as well, but after one game w/ no practices with these guys i'm not so sure its time to complain.

Sixty Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Magnum

Quote:

Systems in general are nothing more than positioning for the forcheck. There's only so many systems to choose from. You'd be chocked to find out how many teams in the NHL run the 1-2-2 like Therrien ran.

The difference is everything else that go along with the system to make it work. Therrien was very passive with everything. There was little attack and aggresiveness with therrien's style and it IMO made the system he was running not as effective as it could've been.

Bylsma wants the defense involved mroe in the offense. This should've been done the moment Therrien became head coach considering the amount of offensive defensemen we have, yet Therrien rarely utilized his defensemen. Can you imagine Detroit, San Jose and Washington not utilizing Lidstrom, Rafalski, Boyle and Green? That's what we dealt with, Bylsma wants to change that. It's long overdue.

North/South passing, using the speed by passing. Remember watching Detroit last year in the SCF and seeing how quick and fast they were? It wasn't the overall speed of their players it was the way the puck was moved. Therrien relied on east/West passing and long cross rink 15 foot passes as his transition game. Bylsma is talking about moving more towards a Red Wings/Sharks style of play.

Aggressive defensively and offensively. Ever watch how our defense politely allows teams to enter our zone and back up and swing sticks? That would be the opposite of aggressive. Aggressive would be what every other team does to us when we try to enter their zone, they stand us up at the blue line and make us work to get pucks deep and keep the pressure off their defense down low and goalie.

Bylsma if he has his way sounds like he's going to bring a lot of change and proper change to the Pens. Our system was never the problem, it was how we attempted to play it and get into position to play that was the problem

His lineups were also a little too familiar to the Therrien lineups..

Therrien juggled every single line combination one could think up. There's only so many players and combinations. Of course some are going to look the same. Bylsma correctly put Satan on the top 2 lines where he produced 24 points in 32 games before being demoted to a line that his skillset suggests can't play and his production went down and weakened the 3rd line.

Give Bylsma a little time to see who is who. The Islanders game was more of an evaluation for him.

Also he seems totally content with Yeo running the powerplay just because Yeo was the guy he talked to on the phone during the call ups...

Yeo has the most experience with this group of players running the Power Play. I don't like Mike Yeo, I understand he was kept on so that we had some continuity with the Baby Pens and didn't completely **** their staff so if Yeo is going to remain, this is the area he's run the most. He's just now getting feedback from other coaches rather than Therrien. Perhaps this well help

I mean I guess thats how things are with an interim, but the more I read the more I do hope this is just in fact an interim.

Give him a chance. He had one game with no morning skate after being promoted 12 hours earlier. He had ZERO chance to do much. all coaches get their starts somewhere, even the greats. i'm not suggesting that Bylsma will be great but he deserves a chance to show what he brings over a decent period of time, not an evaluation based on what he says in an interview and one game
Just trying to help you out

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:30 PM
SirJordanStaal11*

I don't necessarily expect us to not trap because EVERY team in the national hockey league runs a trap or a variation of it(left-wing lock, etc) except for some of the truly bad teams like the Isles and Thrashers who have nothing to lose and so run more exciting systems.

I think the biggest change will be the allowance of our defense to be involved which should inherently help the forecheck. A vast difference from Therrien, right there, if it works.

SirJordanStaal11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Midnight

I'm still reserving judgment on Bylsma's abilities as a coach and tactician. But I must say that it's one heck of a breath of fresh air to have a head coach who's a solid communicator, unlike the gruff and sometimes unintelligible Therrien.

At least when Bylsma makes dubious decisions, we (and more importantly, the players) will probably get a chance to hear and consider his justifications. Whereas Therrien was content to just leave everyone scratching their heads in the dark.

Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

After reading the article, I'm left with some pressing questions:

Does he want the team to be passionate?
Will he expect the team to be energetic and aggressive?
Can he draw upon past experiences?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:47 PM
wej20

I don't want to see the Whitney Letang pairing again anytime soon,seems like an accident waiting to happen.Also is Satan-Malkin-Sykora the softest line in the league?

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Jacob

I'm not sure what Pittsburghers are tougher on, quarterbacks or NHL coaches.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote