HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

which of these youngsters would you want on your team?

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2004, 11:50 AM
KFC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
I'm getting the impression people are using a little bit of steriotype here

Kovalchuk plays more like a power forward at this point then all those above, while Nash will probably end up being more physically dominant, Kovalchuk is physically dominant enough to wear teams down, stay in front and go into the corners.. he is a physical presence, what sets him apart is his skill

anyway I'm not trying to brain wash you all, just realize Kovalchuk is the most complete player (aside his defense, Gaborik only one there that is "good" defensively) on that list
I agree kovolchuck may be the most complete player from the list but i don't think he's "phiscally dominant" i've never seen him wear teams down though he often dominates the game with his skill, not with his body

Nash has the potential to eventually "phiscally dominate" though hes not quite there yet

Old
08-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
anyway I'm not trying to brain wash you all, just realize Kovalchuk is the most complete player (aside his defense, Gaborik only one there that is "good" defensively) on that list
As we learned from ranking the top 25 NYR prospects, everyone uses different selection criteria.

Old
08-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC
I agree kovolchuck may be the most complete player from the list but i don't think he's "phiscally dominant" i've never seen him wear teams down though he often dominates the game with his skill, not with his body

Nash has the potential to eventually "phiscally dominate" though hes not quite there yet

Well that's what you gotta keep in mind. It's not so much an opinion as to who might be better today, but rather who you'd rather have tomorrow.

Old
08-18-2004, 03:40 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Most people see Kovalchuk as a one-dimensional player... even if that was true, that one dimension is more than enough for me to choose him in a heartbeat. Nash is not far behind in this regard, but he is not naturally up to scratch with Kovalchuk's phenomenal offensive skills.

Also what most people don't notice is that "Can't-Play-Defense" Kovalchuk is giving his all in every aspect of hockey. He's responsible defensively, and he is throwing his weight around.

Old
08-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Bob Froese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
If Kovalchuk wanted to, he could be even more physically dominant. The kid is 20 (21?) years old and he's 6'2", 230-235 lbs, and unlike other physically imposing players in the league, he has amazing lateral mobility.
wait i never saw anything on his stats like that, when i see it i will believe it, he is not 6'3 235lbs, thats almost as big as lindros well 2 inches and 10 lbs... no way more like 6'3 215-220

Old
08-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Balej20*

I think we are over rating Kovalchuk's power forward game. He scored 41 goals last season, and maybe 1 or 2 were from standing in front of the net or powering infront. He scored all his goals from the perimeter (Slap shots, amazing wrist shots) and also a few amazing break aways inwhich he never deked, always shot. The guy is so smart, and so fast, and tough to take off the puck, but i think Nash plays a more pure power foward type of game.

Old
08-19-2004, 04:50 AM
Edge

I think that is more a problem with the power forward label in general.

I mean John LeClair was a power forward but so was Keith Tkachuk. Too totally different players though.

It's hard to say what each will become. But being 6'2, 230 isn't enough to be a power forward anymore.

Really in the end it depends on what you are looking for. You can't go just off offensive numbers or potential. You can't go wrong with any of these kids, it just comes down to what you want.

Closed Thread