HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia

Old
02-17-2009, 08:13 PM
slitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenerRangersfan View Post
Leaving Canada tomorrow, and gonna watch the Flyers/Sabres game Thursday. Got a few questions for you guys.

1. What is the camera policy at the Wachovia Center?
2. Which Holiday Inn are you guys talking about where some teams stay?
3. Around what time (or how long before the game) is the warmup/pregame skate usually?
4. My seats are 10th row, sec 101 behind the two benches. Is that a good spot to watch the pregame skate from? Or should I/can I move closer?
5. Arena opens 1.5-2 hours before the game right?
6. I know there is probably lots of merchandise sold at the store, but what are some sorts of stuff they sell, as I need at least one souvenir from my first NHL game?
1- i've never seen anyone harassed for having a camera
2- holiday inn on packer avenue
3-about 30 mins before puck drop
4- you can get as close as you want, the earlier you get down the better your spot
5- yep
6- jerseys, shirts, hats, etc. when we go on the road my wife buys a pin and I buy a shot glass. the lineup card is also a good souvenir since it has the date on it

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:42 PM
KitchenerRangersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
1- i've never seen anyone harassed for having a camera
2- holiday inn on packer avenue
3-about 30 mins before puck drop
4- you can get as close as you want, the earlier you get down the better your spot
5- yep
6- jerseys, shirts, hats, etc. when we go on the road my wife buys a pin and I buy a shot glass. the lineup card is also a good souvenir since it has the date on it
Is there more than one store in the Wachovia Center? Is the lineup card sold in a store or is there a program or something it comes with?

KitchenerRangersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 12:27 AM
FlyerCub

Quote:
Leaving Canada tomorrow, and gonna watch the Flyers/Sabres game Thursday. Got a few questions for you guys.

1. What is the camera policy at the Wachovia Center?
2. Which Holiday Inn are you guys talking about where some teams stay?
3. Around what time (or how long before the game) is the warmup/pregame skate usually?
4. My seats are 10th row, sec 101 behind the two benches. Is that a good spot to watch the pregame skate from? Or should I/can I move closer?
5. Arena opens 1.5-2 hours before the game right?
6. I know there is probably lots of merchandise sold at the store, but what are some sorts of stuff they sell, as I need at least one souvenir from my first NHL game?
1. The Wachovia Center lets in most still cameras. I always bring my point-and-shoot superzoom camera, but I know people bring in dSLRs. Unless it's pro grade, you shouldn't have a problem.

2. There's a Holiday Inn at 10th and Packer a few blocks north of the arena (it's just north of Citizens Bank Park where the Phillies play) but the visiting teams really stay downtown in Center City at places like the Ritz-Carlton, Westin, Four Seasons, etc.

4. You're free to go anywhere during warmups, so if you want to get close to the glass, go ahead. I usually go to Sec. 113/114, which is right next to the Flyers penalty box and across from the bench so I can watch the players come down the tunnel.

6. The main Fan Gear walk-in store is in the NW corner on the Broad Street side. It has the widest selection of merchandise (novelty items, hats, kids, womens, mens, jerseys, t-shirts, etc.) all in one spot.

Elsewhere on the lower concourse, the Broad Street Atrium also has a smaller Fan Gear stand with some player jerseys, t-shirts, hats, and novelties. On the 11th Street side, there's a similar stand and a small roped-off walk-in shop with shirts, jackets, hoodies, hats, and the customize-your-own-jersey booth. There are also small program booths in both atriums. Upstairs, there are 3 or 4 smaller stands that mostly have novelties and a smaller selection of shirts and hats.

Programs (which change roughly every month) are $5 and include the night's pictorial lineup card and the game notes sheet. I think the Sabres game card is going to feature Simon Gagne. The lineup cards are also sold separately for $2 and the stands upstairs keep stock of older cards if you're looking for one from a previous game. The photo yearbook just came out for $10 and the media guide is also out, I think for the same price.

There also is a game/practice-worn memorabilia stand located around Sec. 120. They sometimes have a small table set up with one or two silent auction items in addition to the rest of the game-worn stuff. There's also a Flyers Wives Charities booth on the Broad Street side that might also have auction items or special promotions like mystery pucks depending on the time of year. The Flyers Wives Carnival is this coming Sunday, so they might have some special things available.

Oh, and enjoy your first NHL game!

FlyerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 08:01 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerCub View Post
1. The Wachovia Center lets in most still cameras. I always bring my point-and-shoot superzoom camera, but I know people bring in dSLRs. Unless it's pro grade, you shouldn't have a problem.
Even with a SLR, you probably would only get harassed if you're bringing in one of those tan pro grade telephoto jobbers.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 02:53 PM
slitz

Quote:
Is there more than one store in the Wachovia Center? Is the lineup card sold in a store or is there a program or something it comes with?
there is one store, fan gear, at the north west corner. there is also another place, basically a roped off area in the concourse. then there are several small booths (like the ones that sell food) randomly found throughout.

there are lineup cards and programs. lineup cards are specific for each game, the programs are not (they usually have about 15 dif ones per year). you can buy them togther or seperately. they usually have small stand right where you enter. there will be guy yelling "programs here!". you cant miss it

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:36 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Tatooed Mom, bar in Philly. Check it!

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/aroun...ladelphia.html

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:27 PM
ToTheNet

Hey guys and gals,

Here is another video made by my friend. This one takes place at G Lounge. A fairly upscale, hip bar in the city.

Check it out!!!!!

Love,
TTN

Old
02-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Guffaw26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Even with a SLR, you probably would only get harassed if you're bringing in one of those tan pro grade telephoto jobbers.
Which is the dumbest thing in the world...where's the harm?

I believe that's the same lens I have. Not taken it to a game at the Wach, but I did take it to one of the Sens-Flyers games in Ottawa during the '06-'07 season. Dude at the gates wasn't gonna let me in (we were sitting about 5 rows from the roof) so I said ok, "I'll use my smaller lens (a 28-70mm)" and showed it to him in my bag. He said ok and let me through. But you know I used the 70-210mm and the pics still weren't that great from such a long distance away. Honestly, I think mooks at the ticket turnstiles target Canon long lenses the most because of their color. If they were black like most lenses, they wouldn't bat an eye.

I've used the same lens at Carolina Panther games as well as at many MLB stadiums. Never any real hassle. I don't get the whole "pro equip" thing. It's not like you're shooting from an optimal location or using remotes to fire the big time flash units in the arena.

Guffaw26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:58 AM
ToTheNet

Hey everyone,

Here is another video!!! This time at the bar Apothecary! Check it out. Say hi to use tonight, we'll both be at the game

Old
03-14-2009, 01:30 PM
bobfina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw26 View Post
Which is the dumbest thing in the world...where's the harm?

I believe that's the same lens I have. Not taken it to a game at the Wach, but I did take it to one of the Sens-Flyers games in Ottawa during the '06-'07 season. Dude at the gates wasn't gonna let me in (we were sitting about 5 rows from the roof) so I said ok, "I'll use my smaller lens (a 28-70mm)" and showed it to him in my bag. He said ok and let me through. But you know I used the 70-210mm and the pics still weren't that great from such a long distance away. Honestly, I think mooks at the ticket turnstiles target Canon long lenses the most because of their color. If they were black like most lenses, they wouldn't bat an eye.

I've used the same lens at Carolina Panther games as well as at many MLB stadiums. Never any real hassle. I don't get the whole "pro equip" thing. It's not like you're shooting from an optimal location or using remotes to fire the big time flash units in the arena.
I agree with you that Canon cameras are targeted more because of the color and not for the type of lens. What they need to look for are the L series lenses which are the ones with the red ring on the end.

As for what's the harm, well, there is a LOT of harm. First, the team already has a photographer and some people will either try to post their stuff as the team photographer or even worse, sell the photos on sites such as Ebay. Yes, I have already reported some people for selling photos that I know they didn't own. This practice of selling photos can harm the credibility of the photographer. Also, if people sell these photos, they are illegally selling them which takes money out of the team's pocket and more importantly, the photographer's pocket.

Also, your comment that you can't take good pictures from the top of the arena is wrong as well. Here are some of my photos from the top of the Wachovia Center.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobfina...7615252821318/

Now I cropped them down from my original size. I listed the crop ratio (print size) and their corresponding dpi. Anything over 150 dpi is acceptable for most people. 200 dpi looks good and 300 dpi is overkill for 99% of all people.

IMG_0059386 - 8x10 - 144.5 dpi
IMG_0059500 - 8x10 - 218.0 dpi
IMG_0059516 - 8x10 - 189.2 dpi
IMG_0059570 - 8x10 - 185.6 dpi
IMG_0059608 - 8x10 - 185.9 dpi

As you can see, they all fit into the decent category. I used a Canon 40D with the 70-200mm non-IS lens. Now the first two photos are from the first level during the warmups. This is the time when most people take the shots that they sell. So as you can see, a 10.1 MP image is more than enough to get a good print from. Now if I reduced them down to 4x6s, most of the dpi ranges would be 250+

As for me, I have been shooting for the Philadelphia Phantoms for the past two seasons. During this time I have learned a lot about photography and the professionals in that industry. One of the main things that I learned is that people who are photographers for a living, are harmed by the practices of hobbyists. One such example is the price that some people sell their photos. Just because you already have a full time job and you don't care that you sell your 8x10s for $8-10, this hurts the professionals. They need to live off of that money and that's why they sell them at $16-20 for an 8x10. It's like when you get into consulting, you charge double your normal hourly rate because you don't work all the time. So you make up that lost time working with a higher billable rate. Now if people keep constantly low balling the professionals, then they will lose jobs to these cheaper workers. This is much akin to foreign laborers coming into this country and doing the job for much less than what an American would do it for. And as most of us know, this irritates a good portion of the population.

Now this posting is long enough so I will stop now even though I have so much more to say.

bobfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 09:03 PM
viventi

Hey guys, I'm glad someone asked about the camera policy before me, nice reading up on all this. I think I should be able to get my Canon XSI and 100-300mm lens in.

I'm going to the game on April 12th and I wanted to take some photos during warmups, what's the Flyers policy with this? Do they let anyone just walk down to the glass during warmups? I actually wanted to get some photos of the Flyers (I have enough of the Rangers, lol). I know at the Garden they couldn't care less who goes down to the glass before the game, but I went to a game in Montreal last week and they barely let anyone down there.

How long before the game do warmups start? Thanks!

viventi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:38 PM
FlyerCub

Quote:
Originally Posted by viventi View Post
I'm going to the game on April 12th and I wanted to take some photos during warmups, what's the Flyers policy with this? Do they let anyone just walk down to the glass during warmups? I actually wanted to get some photos of the Flyers (I have enough of the Rangers, lol). I know at the Garden they couldn't care less who goes down to the glass before the game, but I went to a game in Montreal last week and they barely let anyone down there.

How long before the game do warmups start? Thanks!
You're allowed to the glass for warmups. Montreal's one of the few arenas I've encountered so far where you can't go to the glass.

Warmups are half an hour prior to the game.

FlyerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 03:29 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Philly Sports Bars

Bruins fan here; I come in peace.

Condolences for the Pittsburgh series and having to lose to that pretty boy; makes everybody sick.

I will be working in Philly next week and need a place to catch the Bruins/Canes game on Wed. night. Can anyone recommend a good, big sports bar in town that would show the game?

Much appreciated in advance.

No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 03:39 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post
Bruins fan here; I come in peace.

Condolences for the Pittsburgh series and having to lose to that pretty boy; makes everybody sick.

I will be working in Philly next week and need a place to catch the Bruins/Canes game on Wed. night. Can anyone recommend a good, big sports bar in town that would show the game?

Much appreciated in advance.

Do you know which neighborhood you will be staying in?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 03:47 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Chickies and Petes is pretty awesome. Thats where I usually go. McFaddens at Citizens Bank Park is cool too.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 04:04 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Do you know which neighborhood you will be staying in?
Right near City Hall, but I can get to anywhere. thanks.

Old
05-02-2009, 04:28 PM
mercury

Quote:
Right near City Hall, but I can get to anywhere. thanks.

There are some sports bars near City Hall, like Champps, but I would get down to South Philly and do up Chickie's and Pete's. It's big, lots of crazy sports fans, lots of beer and liquor, and the food is decent.
Might be packed to the gills if the Phillies are playing, though, so I would get there on the early side if you want to get a table and eat. I am in L.A. now, so I am headed to Happy Ending in Hollywood after the Derby for Bulls-Celtics, dinner, and then Pacquiao-Hatton.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 04:29 PM
UseYourAllusion

Crab fries ftw

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Claude Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Crab fries ftw
Yeah, crab fries should be priority #1

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 09:28 AM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Thanks for the tips, guys. Looks like Champs or Chickies. I plan to also hit Jim's, Steve's Prince of Steaks (in my mind, if you could combine the bread at Jims with the steak at Steves, it'd be great). Never been to Tony Luke's before; might hit that.

Old
05-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
This thread makes me hungry and crave a cheesesteak.

Sadly, I've never had one.

Yet.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post

Yet.

Opus, that breaks my heart
</3

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:

Yet.
You have not yet lived my friend. You need to get down here.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:43 AM
vis

You guys might want to consider updating the first post in this thread since some of the places named have closed:

Specifically, Brasserie Perrier should be removed from the list of restaurants/bars. It is now closed. Instead, consider adding Del Frisco's and Butcher and Singer for steaks/chops. Also, sadly, remove Ludwig's from the list of pubs. It's now closed as well. Consider adding Standard Tap in Northern Liberties or the South Philadelphia Tap Room in South Philly. A little off the beaten path, but perhaps worth mentioning.

Also, perhaps add a section on some of the bars in Old City. You never know...you might run into a Flyer at some of those bars!

vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 08:26 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Chickies and Petes is pretty awesome. Thats where I usually go. McFaddens at Citizens Bank Park is cool too.
I love how beer is cheaper in McFaddens then the rest of the park, and that you can't bring beer from one side to the other. It's so lame.

I've had to chug a couple for that very reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Crab fries ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Yeah, crab fries should be priority #1

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, guys. Looks like Champs or Chickies. I plan to also hit Jim's, Steve's Prince of Steaks (in my mind, if you could combine the bread at Jims with the steak at Steves, it'd be great). Never been to Tony Luke's before; might hit that.
Chickies one night, and a Philly taco with Jim's Steaks and Lorenzo's Pizza on South street. Heaven is heart stopping!

literally

Quote:

Yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post

Opus, that breaks my heart
</3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
You have not yet lived my friend. You need to get down here.
Opus! Get him a ride down here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vis View Post
You guys might want to consider updating the first post in this thread since some of the places named have closed:

Specifically, Brasserie Perrier should be removed from the list of restaurants/bars. It is now closed. Instead, consider adding Del Frisco's and Butcher and Singer for steaks/chops. Also, sadly, remove Ludwig's from the list of pubs. It's now closed as well. Consider adding Standard Tap in Northern Liberties or the South Philadelphia Tap Room in South Philly. A little off the beaten path, but perhaps worth mentioning.

Also, perhaps add a section on some of the bars in Old City. You never know...you might run into a Flyer at some of those bars!
I agree, we should make this the best guide thread ever.

We need to keep it updated.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote