HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Wanting to play some pickup Roller again, decent skates?

Old
02-15-2009, 07:57 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

vCash: 500
Wanting to play some pickup Roller again, decent skates?

Has been years (around 7!) since I played roller hockey last. I really want to start playing again (not in a league at the moment, just pickups) but not sure on what gear to get. I was browsing hockeymonkey and picked out some stuff, but still not sure how the stuff is (I really don't want to spend too much on it). Main question is on the skates. Are they alright?

CCM Vector 4.0 (Shoe size 11.5 so a 10 should be perfect on me)

It was between the Vectors or Nike Bauer Mega Pros.

Rest of the gear I plan to get is just a pair of Easton Stealth S4 gloves, Mission Helm/Cage and some $30 shin guards. I really can't stand roller pants and can't stand girdles when it's so hot out. Considering getting a new stick but I just like my Aluminum Gretzky too much!

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Danglous

You can never go wrong with a pair of Tours! Ive never had CCM skates, but I have a pair of Nike/Bauer Mega something (black/pink) and they are really good. I had a low end pair of Missions and the boot ripped apart after a few months. I had a low end pair of Bauers (before the Nike merger) and the toecaps came out of both.

I would go with Tour code blues, they are $150 and Tours are excellent skates. I have a pair of Cobalt 8.8's and they are great, and on sale here (http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-69TA.html). If not, go with the Nike/Bauer Mega pros, they arent bad skates and are durable.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:15 PM
nullterm

I have a pair of CCM Vector 4.0 ice skates and love them. Once I got past the break in period they feel like gloves. Don't know about the rollers though.

I do know I have a pair of RBK 2K inlines and wouldn't hesitate to offload them onto someone else. Never been 100% happy with the fit and they can be quite uncomfortable pinching, though I found them to be more comfortable if I left the top eyelets untied so I could bend my ankle/knees more easily.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:15 PM
slackerracker

i have hte 4.0 vectors now and i like them. Can't give you a lot of details on them but they feel good to me

slackerracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Downie View Post
You can never go wrong with a pair of Tours! Ive never had CCM skates, but I have a pair of Nike/Bauer Mega something (black/pink) and they are really good. I had a low end pair of Missions and the boot ripped apart after a few months. I had a low end pair of Bauers (before the Nike merger) and the toecaps came out of both.

I would go with Tour code blues, they are $150 and Tours are excellent skates. I have a pair of Cobalt 8.8's and they are great, and on sale here (http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-69TA.html). If not, go with the Nike/Bauer Mega pros, they arent bad skates and are durable.
I've been skating on CCM's for almost 20 years now, specifically a Tack model of some sort. Bauers never fit me right, were just too narrow, either in the heel or forefoot. I tried on a pair of Tours (I had the Code Blues as well), and loved the fit so I bought them. Then I tried to play in them and absolutely hated it. I think it had less to do with the boot, and more to do with the Hummer frame. Every wheel was an 80mm, which provided me with crazy speed, but the turning radius was god awful. Also, even with the hollowed-out outsole to make room for the 80mm wheels in the forefoot, I felt like I was standing on my heels the entire time. I swear I almost broke my neck 100 times as I skated backward.

Lot's of people swear by Tour, and as with anything else, it's personal preference I suppose. I really tried to like Tour, but it became so aggrivating trying to become acclimated to them. I finally said to myself "if it aint broke don't fix it." So I just ripped my trusty SureGrip frames off my old inlines and had them mounted on some new Tacks. My ice and inline skates are essentially the same boot. After my old inline Tacks frame rivets were breaking, I just converted them into ice skates. My current inlines are ice skates converted to inline:

For me, the best thing to do is to take whatever skate you wear the most and are accustomed to, and use a pair for ice, and one for inline - with both being as identical in brand and model as possible.

bladoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Danglous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladoww View Post
I tried on a pair of Tours (I had the Code Blues as well), and loved the fit so I bought them. Then I tried to play in them and absolutely hated it. I think it had less to do with the boot, and more to do with the Hummer frame. Every wheel was an 80mm, which provided me with crazy speed, but the turning radius was god awful. Also, even with the hollowed-out outsole to make room for the 80mm wheels in the forefoot, I felt like I was standing on my heels the entire time. I swear I almost broke my neck 100 times as I skated backward..
I know what youre talking about. The first few games I played switching from Hi-lo's to the Tour's Hummer frame were brutal. Once I broke in the skates though, and got used to it, it feels normal.

Old
02-15-2009, 09:56 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I heard the Tour Blues are pretty nice. Then again, heard these Vectors are too. If they are both pretty good skates, I would rather go for the Vectors and keep the extra $50-60

Thanks!

How are Hi-lows compared to just 4 80s (although barely saw any of those)? Matter or taste or are they actually better?

Old
02-15-2009, 11:00 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

How heavy are you? If you're over 150, I don't think a vector 4 is going to last really long.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:10 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Around 5"10 or 11 and 160-165.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:32 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Guess now it's between:

Nike Bauer Mega Pro

CCM Vector 4.0

CCM Vector 2.0

I would assume the Vector 2.0 aren't worth it at all and the 4.0 should be well worth the extra $20, but still clueless about skates.

Also, how are Easton Stealth S4 gloves compared to RBK 4Ks? I have an OLD pair of Eastons and the whole palm is gone, as are most of the fingers . Guess it's time for a new pair. Those were 13.5s but small on me now, and now I'm right in between 14 and 15s.

Thanks again!

Old
02-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Danglous

I would still go with the Code Blue or Cobalt 8.8's

Old
02-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

My cousins and I have NikeBauer Mega 40-70s (I think) and theyre pretty good quality, durable, and fairly light.

They used to have them on hockeygiant.com for a pretty good price ~$70 but they don't have them anymore. I'm sure you can find them at another store.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 05:19 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Downie View Post
I would still go with the Code Blue or Cobalt 8.8's
I'm going to buy everything from Hockeymonkey and they don't sell Tours. Semi close to me they had them for $175 or so but I would rather stick to the $100 ones if they are better.

Either the CCM Vectors or Nikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils9789 View Post
My cousins and I have NikeBauer Mega 40-70s (I think) and theyre pretty good quality, durable, and fairly light.

They used to have them on hockeygiant.com for a pretty good price ~$70 but they don't have them anymore. I'm sure you can find them at another store.
Isn't the Mega Pro the same type of skate for the most part?

Old
02-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post

Isn't the Mega Pro the same type of skate for the most part?
Come to think of it, they are basically the same skate lol

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:33 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Come to think of it, they are basically the same skate lol
I saw the 50-90s at Rollerhockeymonkey (odd that Hockeymonkey and Roller have slightly different stock even though they are the same store). Those look pretty nice as well. Seems identical to Mega-Pro
as well, just different color.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:38 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Just tried on the Vector 2.0s and they were really comfortable for me, so went for the Vector 4.0s. Not bad for $99 (clearance) either. The 2.0s were $109-120 in the stores by me.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:48 PM
pcgflyers12*

missions FTW

pcgflyers12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Danglous

Quote:
I got the Mega pros for $60 about a year ago. Best skates I ever had (at the time) until I got them Tours.

Old
02-22-2009, 01:48 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
I don't get this. Some are recommending Tours which are wide and relatively deep. Some are recommending Vectors and Missions which are narrow and pretty shallow. Some are recommending Vapors which are inbetween but more similar to Vectors than the Tours.

I just don't get it, get the skate that fits your foot the best. A chassis can be changed if you need it to, a skate that doesn't fit isn't going to be able to magically change to fit your foot.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:00 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
I don't get this. Some are recommending Tours which are wide and relatively deep. Some are recommending Vectors and Missions which are narrow and pretty shallow. Some are recommending Vapors which are inbetween but more similar to Vectors than the Tours.

I just don't get it, get the skate that fits your foot the best. A chassis can be changed if you need it to, a skate that doesn't fit isn't going to be able to magically change to fit your foot.
Yep, just went into a couple stores by me and tried a few on. I didn't like the Tours feel too much but really liked the way the Vectors felt, so ended up going with those.

I guess I was talking about the overall quality of it as opposed to the boot itself. But I should be getting my Vector 4.0s in a week or so!

Old
02-23-2009, 01:39 AM
curtisinpa

I have Mission DSX Skates and would highly recommend them.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-DSX.html

curtisinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:54 AM
the_speedster

Oh my god, I haven't played in about 9-10yrs now! (Seems like ages) The greatest pair I ever owned was made by roces

One horrible flaw was that after a few months the chasis would become detatched from the boot (almost never failed) but it was such an amazing boot/skate while it lasted.. think I liked it cause my old agg-skates were made by the same company

WAAAH! I miss roller hockey! I miss practicing in tennis courts till 4 in the morning! I miss terrorizing my school's security by skating over around and through EVERYTHING!

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:35 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Yeah, even if you think a brand of skate will fit your foot from what people tell you on here, that might not be true. You really have to try them on. If there are no stores by you, try on a pair of a friend, teammate or whatever if possible.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:18 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Yeah, even if you think a brand of skate will fit your foot from what people tell you on here, that might not be true. You really have to try them on. If there are no stores by you, try on a pair of a friend, teammate or whatever if possible.
Ya, just ended up trying on some Tours, Nikes and CCMs. CCM Vectors felt very comfortable on me (tried on the lowest pair - only one they had) so ended buying the Vector 4.0s. Heard they are pretty decent besides for the wheels.

Speaking of which, what are good wheels to go for (outdoor clay/smooth tar)? Mine come with RR VT733s.

Skates I got: