HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

John Stevens Thread - Volume 2

Old
02-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
John Stevens Thread - Volume 2

Continue...

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Bryz4shiz

vCash: 500
I have no complaints with Stevens. He's not an incredible coach, but I don't think he's hurting the team.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:30 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I was gonna say to Jester, that even if Briere doesnt boost the PP% that much, he will make it look better even when he doesnt score. and Richards back at the point!

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I was gonna say to Jester, that even if Briere doesnt boost the PP% that much, he will make it look better even when he doesnt score. and Richards back at the point!
Ha.

Can't beat style points.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Terence Peterman

I just miss Richards at the point.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:23 AM
mikedifr

CSC - Wanted to respond to these from the old thread:

Quote:
Fla is a pretty damn good team, Columbus is coached by Hitchcock, Vancouver has Luongo. It's not as terrible as you make it seem. Yes, the team looks disorganized frequently. Yes, even strength is their weakest point. But the fact that the team is still producing wins and points since the PP has stopped functioning at the rate it should be shows that the team is not dependent on special teams, but rather that it simply benefits from them (as every good team does).
That is basically my point. Hitch - Great coach. You cant use the Luongo angle this year cause he was out for some time and hasnt been "Luongo" this year until recently. They just play a better organized defensive game at even strength, simple as that. Florida is a good team, they may have an edge on us 1-6 on defense, but we clearly have a deeper group of forwards.

Again, I am not doubting that the team is still producing, even if with a lesser winning percentage. I agree you dont keep up the same pace the entire year. My point, and I believe Jester and I and a few others are on the same page, is that this is indicitive of a larger fundamental problem on this team that hasnt been fixed in two years, and while you may have success in the regular season and get away with it, it will catch up to you when you play the better teams in the last two round of the playoffs.

Unlike the Eagles, and many of their fans, I am not satisfied being "one of the final 4 teams in the league" that is good throughout the whole year, but "not quite" good enough to beat the best teams. I want to be the final team standing at the end of the year, nothing less.

Quote:
Well you got me there. Why weren't we talking about these numbers in the first place? They're clearly the more telling stats.

I kept mentioning these in my post, they were posted earlier, you must have just missed them in all the back and forth.

Quote:
Yeah, I really like Richards back at the point....Plus this gives you a few options.

1) You can go with a more finess oriented powerplay and put Gagne/Briere/Carter up front, or stick with Knuble for the grit and move Carter to the 2nd powerplay unit.

How many teams in the league can put a 30+ goal scorer on their 2nd unit????

As for Briere, if they move him to wing fine, I would be ok with that.....However, I still say it is more related to how this team plays than him specifically. No he is never going to be even a decent defensive player, but when with Buffalo, a much better even strength team, he was one of the leading scorers in the league at even strength and a + player, even if barely.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
and to quote Tim P:
Quote:
It's 3-for-19 for the month of February
Im sure Briere can bring it to above 16% no?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
That is basically my point. Hitch - Great coach. You cant use the Luongo angle this year cause he was out for some time and hasnt been "Luongo" this year until recently. They just play a better organized defensive game at even strength, simple as that. Florida is a good team, they may have an edge on us 1-6 on defense, but we clearly have a deeper group of forwards.

Again, I am not doubting that the team is still producing, even if with a lesser winning percentage. I agree you dont keep up the same pace the entire year. My point, and I believe Jester and I and a few others are on the same page, is that this is indicitive of a larger fundamental problem on this team that hasnt been fixed in two years, and while you may have success in the regular season and get away with it, it will catch up to you when you play the better teams in the last two round of the playoffs.

Unlike the Eagles, and many of their fans, I am not satisfied being "one of the final 4 teams in the league" that is good throughout the whole year, but "not quite" good enough to beat the best teams. I want to be the final team standing at the end of the year, nothing less.
Fair enough, I'm just sort of halfheartedly playing devil's advocate here. I'd love to see them more organized out there. I've probably never mentioned it before, but Hitch was my favorite coach. Guy just knew his ****. However, we're not getting rid of Stevens for a while. The team has continuously improved over the past 2 seasons. Maybe he knew they were young and needed to figure things out on an individual level before really getting on them about a team game. Probably not, but who knows? The even strength numbers have noticeably improved as someone has pointed out. Maybe there's hope? I dunno. I've just resigned myself to Stevens being the coach and trying to get excited about the prospects of pond hockey.

Quote:
I kept mentioning these in my post, they were posted earlier, you must have just missed them in all the back and forth.
I knew people were talking about them, but I didn't see anyone post the hard numbers. I'm not apt to believe things people say on the internet unless they back it up, so I'm sure you can understand my skepticism.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 07:04 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Fair enough, I'm just sort of halfheartedly playing devil's advocate here. I'd love to see them more organized out there. I've probably never mentioned it before, but Hitch was my favorite coach. Guy just knew his ****. However, we're not getting rid of Stevens for a while. The team has continuously improved over the past 2 seasons. Maybe he knew they were young and needed to figure things out on an individual level before really getting on them about a team game. Probably not, but who knows? The even strength numbers have noticeably improved as someone has pointed out. Maybe there's hope? I dunno. I've just resigned myself to Stevens being the coach and trying to get excited about the prospects of pond hockey.
I have resigned myself to it too....doesnt mean I cant ***** about it

Plus as a bonus, it pisses of JXC

Quote:
I knew people were talking about them, but I didn't see anyone post the hard numbers. I'm not apt to believe things people say on the internet unless they back it up, so I'm sure you can understand my skepticism.
You mean you dont believe everything I say????

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Im sure Briere can bring it to above 16% no?
I'm sure it would go back above 16% with or without Briere.

You don't consistently pop 'em at 23%. One week you work it at 30 %, the next week 10%. At home you're a rock star, on the road you're a mouse.

Old
02-23-2009, 03:04 PM
bennysflyers16

Torts apparently gonna get the Rags job
He is just the guy to whip those lazy ****s into shape, I bet he will get them playing hockey again.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:07 PM
chaosof99*

I doubt they can be whipped into shape and I certainly hope he won't.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Torts apparently gonna get the Rags job
He is just the guy to whip those lazy ****s into shape, I bet he will get them playing hockey again.
That would be a rude introduction to reality for those up there who decided to "turn Renney off".

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:57 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
That would be a rude introduction to reality for those up there who decided to "turn Renney off".
Redden may cry,

and what about the famous "Hey Brooksy, **** Off "
Should be awesome,

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:17 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Rangers still won't be a good team, no matter who is the coach. The talent is not there.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Rangers still won't be a good team, no matter who is the coach. The talent is not there.
They are no less talented than some of the Devs teams the past few years...they've just been playing with the intensity of a pothead in a hammock.

Old
02-23-2009, 07:25 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
They are no less talented than some of the Devs teams the past few years...they've just been playing with the intensity of a pothead in a hammock.
They have bigger names, but they are in fact less talented. The Rags wish they had a player w/ the skill of Parise.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:25 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Redden may cry
Heh

Old
02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
There reason the Flyers have scored as many shorthanded goals as they have is the same reason as why they dont have any shorthanded goals against. The Flyers dont play with a forward on the point. I like him where hes at.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:43 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
There reason the Flyers have scored as many shorthanded goals as they have is the same reason as why they dont have any shorthanded goals against. The Flyers dont play with a forward on the point. I like him where hes at.
Good point.

Old
02-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
They have bigger names, but they are in fact less talented. The Rags wish they had a player w/ the skill of Parise.
You completely missed the point.

This is Parise's first real big year. Devs have been competing with shallow offense and a very weak defensive corps since Nieds left...still been winning. Those teams were no more talented than what the Rags have now.

NJ is 11th in scoring this year. 27th last year. 27th the year before. 22nd the year before that.

Old
03-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

This team would be elite if we had a competent coach.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Tonight's game is the perfect example of why we need better coaching. We looked dreadful against one of the most well organized teams in the league.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Tonight's game is the perfect example of why we need better coaching. We looked dreadful against the most well organized team in the league.
Our breakouts suck. When is the last time you have seen a decent breakout?? Hell i can't recall. What the hell is the defensive philosophy that allows 50 ****ing shots? Our defense ****ing sucks. Its not even the players its the coaching. The Devils have an average defensive core and yet they all look like Norris Trophy winners. The last 5 games teams have averaged 40 on us. Discipline has been another probably. That is all coaching.

John Stevens is an average coach with a **** load of talent. This guy dresses Cote when the other team has no ****ing enforcer. He is a ****ing idiot.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:12 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Tonight's game is the perfect example of why we need better coaching. We looked dreadful against one of the most well organized teams in the league.
Absolutely, this is a blowout if Biron doesn't stand on his head

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote