HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2/17/09 "In The Details" - Devils VS. Panthers

View Poll Results: Who receives divine intervention?
Panthers 16 66.67%
Devils 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Eric Sachs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
http://panthers.nhl.com/team/app/?se...alleryId=10197

Look at the last picture in that link where Bouw's facewashing T-Vo. He looks like a guy who's loving it here.
Looks like a guy who finally be winning. Its amazing how winning a few game completely changes a players attitude. Part of me wants him to saty in Florida for the sake of the franchise but then again part of me wants him to play for my Devs.

Old
02-18-2009, 12:13 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
good luck tonight guys. i'll be watching via atdhe.
Oh ok, thanks for drops by BOTtle

Old
02-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzrule27 View Post
Looks like a guy who finally be winning. Its amazing how winning a few game completely changes a players attitude. Part of me wants him to saty in Florida for the sake of the franchise but then again part of me wants him to play for my Devs.
Exactly, and this team's been winning in bunches lately. I'm hoping he stays as he's supposedly said that he's waiting to see how the team is doing before he signs. Guess we have 2 weeks to find out if he gets moved, signs, or what Martin's plans are.

I've wanted Elias, Broduer, and/or Stevens and didn't get them. So you can't have Bouw!

02-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Exactly, and this team's been winning in bunches lately. I'm hoping he stays as he's supposedly said that he's waiting to see how the team is doing before he signs. Guess we have 2 weeks to find out if he gets moved, signs, or what Martin's plans are.

I've wanted Elias, Broduer, and/or Stevens and didn't get them. So you can't have Bouw!
Thats not fair! Gimme gimme gimme!

I'll trade you Jay Pandolfo and Andy Greene for him.

Old
02-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzrule27 View Post
Thats not fair! Gimme gimme gimme!

I'll trade you Jay Pandolfo and Andy Greene for him.
, no...we need a 4th, too.

Old
02-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Acadmus

Ahhhhh....6th place is a nice place to be...but 4th would be nicer. The Panthers have been 4th in each of the three seasons they made the playoffs, I believe. Not really sure about 2000 now I think of it, but they were in '96 and '97.

02-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
''It's like night and day around here,'' Jay Bouwmeester said. ``We've forgotten about the start of the year. It's in the past. Things are good with us right now.''
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ho...ry/908920.html

Quote:
"I think everybody knows we can play with everybody," said Vokoun, who made 36 saves for his fifth shutout of the season and second in four games. With the win, the Panthers moved into a four-way tie for fifth in the conference with the Canadiens, Rangers and Sabres, five points ahead of the ninth-place Hurricanes.

"The more separation we get, the better it is for everybody in this dressing room," Vokoun said. "We want to be in a situation where we control where we go or don't go and don't have to wait for somebody to lose a game. We're in that position now and it's up to us to keep it."
Quote:
Added winger David Booth: "We're not satisfied with being eighth or seventh. We want home-ice advantage."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/communit...,4809786.story

some good quotes, especially from Bouw.

Old
02-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

What a great game. One that will help in convincing Bouw this is the place to be! Have to keep it going to make him sign faster!

Old
02-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Tuco

Didn't see the game and could not believe the result when I checked it. It's unreal. And like somebody said, this was a big game to our guys' confidence: two losses in a row could have been bad. Now it's all sunshine again. Great great win!

Old
02-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Haj

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
. One thing about the Panthers, we arent the Hurricanes, we do not dive.
Every team dives. It might not be the honorable thing to do, but it is smart. If a penalty is not called on the other team the only risk is that you took yourself out of the play. When have you seen the other team get a Power Play because of a diving penalty ? I don't think I have ever seen Booth dive though.

Old
02-18-2009, 10:06 AM
harv3317

GREAT WIN!!!!! vokoun was absolutely awsome and was the difference. man both teams were flying up and down the ice, great energy!!!!!!! can't believe we won 4-0!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!
let's keep this going!!!! chicago next!!!!!

GGGGGOOOOO PPPPPAAAANNNNTTTTHHHHEEEERRRSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
FlaPanthers7

We just need to keep this intensity up. We really pounced (no pun intended actually) on them from the get-go and just kept fighting. I love when this team has that energy and intensity. It's kind of Tebow-esque () where they may not be the most talented team on the ice, but their will to win takes over.

I also loved reading the quotes as well. These guys just seem so confident now and fired up to climb the ladder. Vokoun is playing outstanding - more shutouts this year than last now. Horton has finally found his scoring touch again and Frolik looks like the #1 overall pick he wa touted to be at one point. Then you throw in savvy vets like Stillman and Cullimore and you've got a team that could be dangerous come playoff time when goal-scoring decreases.

I like what I'm seeing from this team!

Old
02-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
Every team dives. It might not be the honorable thing to do, but it is smart. If a penalty is not called on the other team the only risk is that you took yourself out of the play. When have you seen the other team get a Power Play because of a diving penalty ? I don't think I have ever seen Booth dive though.
Sorry, but I disagree. Sure, every team HAS dove, but to say "every team dives" is false. The Panthers do not dive. They have done it in the past but to say that "they dive" is to imply that they do it regularly and/or on purpose.

Old
02-18-2009, 10:19 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
We just need to keep this intensity up. We really pounced (no pun intended actually) on them from the get-go and just kept fighting. I love when this team has that energy and intensity. It's kind of Tebow-esque () where they may not be the most talented team on the ice, but their will to win takes over.
uh, not really. we were not sharp at all to start out. our checking in our own zone was loose, NJ was getting to the net with ease. they were dominating SOG to start the game. the first half dozen shifts or so were tilted toward NJ. vokie had to make several big saves to keep us in it. things started slowly turning and eventually, they were bordering on dominant. emrick and resch were gushing in their praise during the 2nd and 3rd periods. that was nice to hear.

just another example of how one or two plays/saves/bounces early can change the way a game goes. i don't think NJ was totally happy with their game but check out their post-game comments.

Old
02-18-2009, 10:43 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Horton's one of my favorite players in the league and the Cats are one of my favorite non-NJ teams in the league, but his dive on Zubrus' penalty was pretty blatant.

For the record though, we acknowledged that shortly thereafter, Clarkson embellished as well.

New-NHL p*ssyfoot refereeing aside, that was an impressive performance from the Panthers. Vokoun looked like he had friends in the cellophane union, and the whole team did a good job of generally denying second and third chances, something that our offense relies on to an extent. They have a tough road ahead of them, but I think they'll surprise some people around the league in their next 6-7 games. I just hope they beat the snot out of the Rangers and send them further down the spiral out of the playoffs. One thing is for sure though, and that is that your team is legit.
For what it's worth, it looked like Horton was trying to lean into the Devils player (Zubrus, I guess) to make some room for himself in the slot. Now he may have chosen to do that knowing Zubrus wasn't close enough to lean into and that the fall may draw a penalty. I really hope that wasn't the case, but if it was I definitely don't want to see any more of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
That's why the NHL needs to institute a double minor/major penalty for diving at the ref's discretion. Right now, a player risks losing a power play when embellishing a call. That's it. Let the refs call a double minor or a major and a player could put his team shorthanded for a quarter of a period.

Tell me that won't get coaches across the league to hammer it into their players that they shouldn't dive.

Old
02-18-2009, 11:05 AM
RainingRats

Vokoun has been stellar and our D does a great job with limiting extra chances and clearing away rebounds.

Our backchecking has also been phenomenal. Countless times last night a forward sprinted back to the d-zone. The work ethic of this team is contagious and every player seems to have caught the Deboer flu, lol.

They said on NHL On The Fly last night that, "this game was a measuring stick for the Florida Panthers and they took that measuring stick and bashed it over the heads of the New Jersey Devils."

Zednik has been on fire. Horton too. Would like to see Booth pot a goal, it seems like its been a while but he has had a bunch of assists. Weiss seems to finally be developing into the player many of us thought he could be.

When Frolik develops more into a man he is going to be a legitimate superstar.

Old
02-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Just wanted to come in here and congratulate you guys on a solid, solid win last night. Timely goals, great goaltending and great defense....sounds like Devils hockey to me.

I've loved your defense since day 1 of the season, hope you boys make the playoffs and entice J-Bouw to stay for a long time!!

Old
02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Just love the way they play and I watch a lot of hockey...PLus I like the new coach, Frolly, Boothy Baby...it's an easy team to like.
Hell has frozen over for us loyal die-hard lifer Panthers' fans with comments like this one from another team's fan

I'm so used to EMBRACING THE HATE. I don't know what to do now with these kind of comments of late

Old
02-18-2009, 07:55 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Ahhhhh....6th place is a nice place to be...but 4th would be nicer. The Panthers have been 4th in each of the three seasons they made the playoffs, I believe. Not really sure about 2000 now I think of it, but they were in '96 and '97.
I'm pretty sure I was listening on NHL Radio at the time to Bure,Vernon and crew opening up in NJ. in the 1st round (that series was only televised once or twice up here in Canada which pissed me off). Pavel Bure goal at home in either game #3 or #4 and that's all I remember besides Stevens shutting down P.Bure like no one has done before ,oh and that Brodeur guy too.

Old
02-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

I remember that series, although I try to forget. I remember TM switching our defense pairings for game 1 which was the stupidest coaching move ever. Our D predictably looks out of sync and I think they take a 2-0 lead on us before we answer back. If I remember correctly, i think we tied it up right before the 1st int. on a goal by Robbie Nieds. But did he ever switch the pairings back the rest of the series? I don't remember. Probably not. BTW, we were the 5th seed that year.

Closed Thread