HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2-17-08 Senators at Avs 7:30 PM MT

Old
02-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Clark blows
It's funny, I haven't been able to watch as many Av games recently unfortunately, but the first thing I noticed tonight in this one is how Clark looked like complete dog **** on ice during every shift. I really hope FG can find a taker for him at the deadline or in the summer, and we don't get stuck with him for another year.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Jori

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post
This road trip should determine the fate of this season.

If they do well they'll be getting right back in the playoff mix with a bunch of momentum heading into the stretch run.

If they have a bad road trip they'll keep sinking in the standings and FG will likely trade some of the d-men leaving the team a little bit worse for the stretch run with no momentum and players likely having a harder time getting up for games knowing the season is a lost cause.

That's how I see it.
Something tells me the Avs will go 12 and 12 these last 24 games. Not good enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough to end up in the bottom five.

I listened to Conspiracy Clough (that's my nickname for him) on the way home from the game. I agree with him completely in regards to Giguere's interview with the Post. This organization continues to belittle its fans.

Old
02-18-2009, 12:34 AM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
Something tells me the Avs will go 12 and 12 these last 24 games. Not good enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough to end up in the bottom five.

I listened to Conspiracy Clough (that's my nickname for him) on the way home from the game. I agree with him completely in regards to Giguere's interview with the Post. This organization continues to belittle its fans.
What did he say regarding this? I fear I may be in agreement with him

detrude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Jori

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
What did he say regarding this? I fear I may be in agreement with him
To summarize...he said Giguere should have been more forthcoming rather then trying to blow hot air up our butts. Clough didn't use those words, but you get the general meaning.

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:03 AM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Ok, I'll just add one more thing: was that not the best goaltending performance the Avs had seen all season? I know they've been shutout numerous times, their offense smothered, completely outplayed--but I can't recall any showings like the one Auld put on tonight where Colorado had so many high quality scoring chances, only to come away with 2 goals after 60. And it wasn't like Auld was able to weather the storm for a period, only to see the Avs fade and take off the rest of the game. This was a high octane game from buzzer to buzzer. It wasn't just the muckers either. Wolski, Svatos, and Hejduk all had prime opportunities as well. I don't know that Auld is the answer to the almost decade long question in goal for Ottawa, but he sure deserves a hat tip tonight for playing out of his mind for a team that likely won't make the playoffs.
Colorado played a pretty good game aside from that first goal that Raycroft let in. Even in spite of all the injuries you guys have right now, you played the kind of game you needed to and kept most of the pressure to the perimeter and forced Ottawa to skate through the neutral zone.

It should be noted though that Ottawa was dog tired in this one, and most of the guys seemed to make sloppy plays and passes because skating it up ice didn't seem like a viable option. As I recall, the road trip is 5 games in 7 nights, and they were coming off a back to back against Nashville.

Auld was decent in this game, but he has shown himself to be a lot better. I won't fault him on the tipped goal, because it was perfectly executed and hard to track, but the play where Smyth drove to the net and snuck it in isn't very characteristic of him. It wasn't one of his best nights, by far. Still though, I wouldn't call him "the answer" for Ottawa in nets, but he's part of the solution. Brian Elliot is probably the future of Ottawa's goal tending, but Clouston elected to give him a rest after he started something like 7 games straight against some very tough teams. Generally Auld works best matched up against teams that take a lot of point shots, but those teams that have depth up front, Elliot is very strong against because of his good rebound control and his ability to track the puck. Regardless, Auld has played fantastic and is certainly a 1b goalie and the perfect guy to pair with a younger goalie. For once in a long time, Ottawa has 2 reasonable options in net. I'm just hoping Elliot can steal a game or two against some top teams and let the Senators sneak into the post season.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Jori

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
Colorado played a pretty good game aside from that first goal that Raycroft let in. Even in spite of all the injuries you guys have right now, you played the kind of game you needed to and kept most of the pressure to the perimeter and forced Ottawa to skate through the neutral zone.

It should be noted though that Ottawa was dog tired in this one, and most of the guys seemed to make sloppy plays and passes because skating it up ice didn't seem like a viable option. As I recall, the road trip is 5 games in 7 nights, and they were coming off a back to back against Nashville.

Auld was decent in this game, but he has shown himself to be a lot better. I won't fault him on the tipped goal, because it was perfectly executed and hard to track, but the play where Smyth drove to the net and snuck it in isn't very characteristic of him. It wasn't one of his best nights, by far. Still though, I wouldn't call him "the answer" for Ottawa in nets, but he's part of the solution. Brian Elliot is probably the future of Ottawa's goal tending, but Clouston elected to give him a rest after he started something like 7 games straight against some very tough teams. Generally Auld works best matched up against teams that take a lot of point shots, but those teams that have depth up front, Elliot is very strong against because of his good rebound control and his ability to track the puck. Regardless, Auld has played fantastic and is certainly a 1b goalie and the perfect guy to pair with a younger goalie. For once in a long time, Ottawa has 2 reasonable options in net. I'm just hoping Elliot can steal a game or two against some top teams and let the Senators sneak into the post season.
Having seen Elliott while he was in college, I was a tad disappointed he wasn't in net tonight. I tolerated him when he was a Badger

Wiercioch was in the stands tonight, just let DU hold on to him for one more year....please

Old
02-18-2009, 01:36 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
To summarize...he said Giguere should have been more forthcoming rather then trying to blow hot air up our butts. Clough didn't use those words, but you get the general meaning.
If only Irv and Joe were still alive to give us their insight.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:57 AM
TheHMan

Quote:
Having seen Elliott while he was in college, I was a tad disappointed he wasn't in net tonight. I tolerated him when he was a Badger

Wiercioch was in the stands tonight, just let DU hold on to him for one more year....please
I also saw him there too. I think he'll spend another year in DU since all he seems to need at this point is size (by that I mean weight). He looks like a fantastic pick though and I can't wait until he makes it on the Sens roster

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 07:29 AM
chiavsfan

The tank stuff is beyond annoying already...can we have a "tank thread" where all this non-sense can be discussed?

Then I can avoid it, and I wouldn't have to sift through game threads for actual game content

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 07:35 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
It's funny, I haven't been able to watch as many Av games recently unfortunately, but the first thing I noticed tonight in this one is how Clark looked like complete dog **** on ice during every shift. I really hope FG can find a taker for him at the deadline or in the summer, and we don't get stuck with him for another year.
Hey, good to hear from you. Where ya been?

Definitely agree on your Clark assessment. He is truly awful in space.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
I thought we were all Chuckleheads.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 12:26 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Ok, I'll just add one more thing: was that not the best goaltending performance the Avs had seen all season? I know they've been shutout numerous times, their offense smothered, completely outplayed--but I can't recall any showings like the one Auld put on tonight where Colorado had so many high quality scoring chances, only to come away with 2 goals after 60. And it wasn't like Auld was able to weather the storm for a period, only to see the Avs fade and take off the rest of the game. This was a high octane game from buzzer to buzzer. It wasn't just the muckers either. Wolski, Svatos, and Hejduk all had prime opportunities as well. I don't know that Auld is the answer to the almost decade long question in goal for Ottawa, but he sure deserves a hat tip tonight for playing out of his mind for a team that likely won't make the playoffs.
I didn't even think he played that well. It certainly wasn't the best the Avs have seen; I think that award does to Jaroslav "47 saves against the Avs but get pulled in my next start" Halak two games ago.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Jori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
I thought we were all Chuckleheads.
Yes and I'm proud to be one :sarcasm

Old
02-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
I didn't even think he played that well. It certainly wasn't the best the Avs have seen; I think that award does to Jaroslav "47 saves against the Avs but get pulled in my next start" Halak two games ago.
Just like age, that ain't "nothin' butta numba." Halak was sharp, but he didn't see anywhere near the amount of prime chances, specifically on the doorstep, by the Avs. The Avs were putting shots on him from wherever they could.

Last edited by Ensane: 02-18-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Really? I missed the 1st period but I thought the rest was pretty boring. Maybe I was just tired...

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Really? I missed the 1st period but I thought the rest was pretty boring. Maybe I was just tired...
I thought so, the score was always close, plenty of hitting, and good scoring chances. Though the end to end action was somewhat limited, both teams employed a the dump and chase pretty well. And of course, you can't conclude a game better than an OT winner either. For two teams in the dumps like these two are, I expected much less.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 05:17 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan View Post
The tank stuff is beyond annoying already...can we have a "tank thread" where all this non-sense can be discussed?

Then I can avoid it, and I wouldn't have to sift through game threads for actual game content
Seeing Tyler on the ice at all (more so in the dying minutes of a tied game or a game in which we are down by one) is also beyond annoying...can we just have him removed already?

Relax...we are in a rebuild....whether it is a quick re-tool or a Chicago style multi-generational rebuild is still debatable.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:48 AM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Seeing Tyler on the ice at all (more so in the dying minutes of a tied game or a game in which we are down by one) is also beyond annoying...can we just have him removed already?

Relax...we are in a rebuild....whether it is a quick re-tool or a Chicago style multi-generational rebuild is still debatable.
Only 2 weeks ago I was screaming at the TV to have Arnason shipped anywhere for anything. However I have since changed my mind. I prefer to keep him and give him good ice time as he helps us lose. It is hard to watch but it will pay off in the end.

My only problem with my plan is that I am afraid that FG will get the stupid idea to re-sign him again. He can't be that stupid, can he? I am willing to take that chance. However if it happens, I'll go slice my wrists because I won't be able to take another year of him giving the puck away on every shift. It is a game we have, my son and I. When he gets on the ice, we go "Wait, wait, wait....there is the giveaway!" Never fails.

I really want a top 5 pick. Considering we won't get Tavares or Hedman, my choice would be Duchene. I love his skills and his speed and he is an Avs fan.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote