HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Schneider's first game; Habs PP 3 for 4

Old
02-19-2009, 07:40 AM
3TB3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
pretty weak showing by the caps.. nonetheless he looked good. and surprise surprise the pp was good. i think it might have more to do with no kovalev dancing with the puck
it had more to do with the effort finally displayed by players

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 07:45 AM
windycity

Schenider was solid, you could really see how he helped open things up on the pp. It was fun seeing him out there again.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
Even Josh Gorges looked awesome paired with Markov...
That's cause he doesn't need to play 25 minutes a game like a few weeks ago and back to basic simple hockey like he did so well for most of last year,Gorges is a great #5-6 guy,not a top 4 and it shows.Our defense is allot better right now

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Mustafa*

I think that if we replace Bouillon by O'Byrne (or if Bouillon can play like a real 6th D) and that Komisarek starts playing like a hockey player, this team will have a nice defense squad.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges of the Jungle View Post
I don't think it's that big of an "if" to say that Kovy will return to the Habs soon. I'd say the odds are pretty good that Kovy plays on Saturday.

If he gets traded it will be for one of two reasons:

1) Another GM makes an offer that Gainey can't refuse.
2) Kovy returns and plays uninspired hockey, essentially playing himself off of the team.

If Kovalev returns and plays well, I really don't see Gainey shopping him, unless something amazing falls into his lap. I think Gainey is trying to improve the team from within by motivating Kovalev to find his game and play with passion. However, if Kovy doesn't get the message, we'll probably see plan B.
Here's hoping that you're wrong. There's nothing that I'd hate more than to see us take the bait (again) for a couple of weeks and to see him become himself again AFTER the deadline when there's nothing we can do about it.

Trade him, no risk for me.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:25 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Here's hoping that you're wrong. There's nothing that I'd hate more than to see us take the bait (again) for a couple of weeks and to see him become himself again AFTER the deadline when there's nothing we can do about it.

Trade him, no risk for me.
Meh, Kovy is a playoff beast so I wouldn't be too worried about that, as long as he comes back and plays with somefire, and we get a winning attitude going again, we should roll into the playoffs in a pretty good spot.

We need Kovy in order to compete with the other skilled teams in the league, getting rid of him without getting another player with similar talent would leave a pretty huge hole in our lineup.

And I see a huge risk in trading Kovy, facing a pissed off Kovy in the playoffs for some other team, man he would make us pay for that trade...if they do move him I pray it's out west.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:26 AM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I think that if we replace Bouillon by O'Byrne (or if Bouillon can play like a real 6th D) and that Komisarek starts playing like a hockey player, this team will have a nice defense squad.
thats a lot of ifs there lol, but the komi has been playing has me worried. Its like he lost his hockey senses. He might just be overthinking the game right now.

Schneider played a good game, delivered some hits and had a laser beam that flew right over Jose head. It feels good to have someone back there that can shoot, hopefully our pp can get going.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:29 AM
That Habs Fan
drive for 25's alive

vCash: 400
i would personally love to see koivu and kovalev battle each other in the playoffs...

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:41 AM
HabFan1975

The only problem with Schneider is that he made us see how bad Komi is.

HabFan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Schneider gives the Habs an excellent right point man. He is experienced and great on the PP. And I must say, it was cool seeing him in the Habs colors again... like he never left. Other than the 1987 Flyers, the 1992-93 Habs were my favorite team of all-time... Schneider, Desjardins, Muller, Roy, etc.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:12 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaydhon View Post
The only problem with Schneider is that he made us see how bad Komi is.
So sad to say but I agree with this assessment 100%!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli24 View Post
Schneider gives the Habs an excellent right point man. He is experienced and great on the PP. And I must say, it was cool seeing him in the Habs colors again... like he never left. Other than the 1987 Flyers, the 1992-93 Habs were my favorite team of all-time... Schneider, Desjardins, Muller, Roy, etc.
Same here! And the joy of watching a CH game shot up a notch knowing that Schneider was on the ice! If only Captain Kirk would come out of retirement!

But seriously, Mathieu was very solid throughout the entire game. He kept things simple and didn't make any glaring mistakes.

I do see that he's slow down since the last time he was here (to be expected at age 39) but I saw that his ability to carry the puck up ice was just as good as before...the only thing is Markov now seems lost a bit, unsure of what he needs to be doing since there's a new puck carrying general for the PP.

Mathieu's decision making with the puck is still there but not as sharp as it once used to be, perhaps because of the slow down in his speed. You saw this during one sequence during the PP last night when he couldn't penetrate the offensive zone with his passes because Washington guys are so fast and he's not as fast as he used to be.

Schneider's pressence on the PP with his booming shot also opens up a lot of lanes and because of the opposing team's respect for his shot, it opens up a lot of room for other guys on the PP like it did for Plekanecs yesterday. Just what the doctor ordered!!!

However, the rest of the team was also playing hard and it was the first time in a LOOONG time that I saw CH players drive to the net and buzz around the goal crease!!! THIS is what wins hockey games! I'm starting to like that Max Pacieorety kid more and more! I think that he could develope into a real good power forward if everything goes well.

I also really, really like Schneider giving OV the lumber after the whistle for crashing the net!!! THIS needs to be taught to kids like Komi.

Having said all that, and it's only after one game but I think that Schneider was probably our best D-man last night! Atta boy Mathieu!

David is offline   Reply With Quote