HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alfredsson Has a Broken Jaw

Old
02-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Kanataboy68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSens View Post
This team needs to restock with draft picks, high ones. This team going on a run puts them closer to the playoffs. So if they are near at the deadline they become buyers, not sellers. This puts us back in the same spot, much like the Leafs for all those years. Not good enough to go far, but too far away from getting high draft picks/prospects from selling. Longterm this franchise needs to restock.

Having Alfie out of the lineup puts us at a disadvantage. Which isn't a bad thing longterm.
The fact that the club has responded so significantly to a coaching change shows that the roster is not as incomplete as people thought. Certainly there are holes to plug, but we are a long, long way from being the Leafs. Ottawa has a fair amount of youth and has a decent positioning in this years draft with two first round picks.

The team is being restocked, but need to remain competitive. I think you are over-reacting.

Many people on this forum put way too much stock in draft picks, when you only have 2-3 really young guys on your roster in any given year going up and down from the farm team to the Show. We have the picks and need to use them wisely (i.e. not trade them away).

I want us to make some moves on draft day, but I want there to be a few moves, and wise ones. I am under no false illusions that Melnyk or Murray think we are making the playoffs, and will trade for rentals. We are better to play as well as we can and set ourselves up to get what we need going forward.

Frankly, if you go by what other coaches were saying on the road trip, other teams are already concered that ottawa is improving. That tells me we don't need to rebuild as much as many thought just a month ago.

Kanataboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 08:57 AM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzer0 View Post
I think that this is too flattering of him. It would imply that his posting is merely mechanical while the truth of the matter is much more vile. He is committed to dishonesty and exaggeration for the sake of attention. He posts around the clock and every day too so his act has grown very thin in my eyes.
Are you implying that he has a *gasp* agenda? That his comment was a thinly veiled attempt to bring discord to this discussion?

Perish the thought.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:01 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Clancy View Post
I see you're a founding member
Spezza and Heatley continually show they can not play well without Alfie. Are you or anyone else going to tell me that's not true?

Now Alfie is out with a broken jaw, all I want is our two highest paid players to step up. A line in the sand needs to be drawn.

Why build a team around two players that make a combined 14.5, when those two need a 36 year old on there wing to look good?

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Well we haven't done well without Alfredsson. (And I mean records that are worse than this season stuff like 3-7-1 or worse if I remember correclty.)

We do have Smith, Ruutu and Auld (mainly Smith) to pull the team together and Heatley has been improving and has a letter... so it's time to see if the team pulls together.

Hopefully he's not out too long, we need him badly. If he's out for an extended period of time, I think this kills any wild dreams of a chance at making the playoffs.

Tubby Tuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:04 AM
The King of Town

I hear that First Round Pick is a formidable first line winger in a pinch. Oh and Can't Miss Prospect is really useful as an injury replacement.

Let's bring this back on topic, shall we? I can smell a Fisher post coming, and I wouldn't want to have to read another. I heard the 20/20 update, but still haven't seen news of this posted anywhere, so does anyone have confirmation? The Team's record is somewhat spotty.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:07 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Spezza and Heatley continually show they can not play well without Alfie. Are you or anyone else going to tell me that's not true?

Now Alfie is out with a broken jaw, all I want is our two highest paid players to step up. A line in the sand needs to be drawn.

Why build a team around two players that make a combined 14.5, when those two need a 36 year old on there wing to look good?
There is a reason for that...

If Heatley was injured would Alfie and SPezza have trouble? YES!

It isnt that it is Alfie that is injured, it is that Alfie produces like 1/4 of our offense.

If any of the big 3 are injured our chance of losing increases exponentially! You just notice it more since Alfie is always injured now a days, while Heatley is rarely gone!

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:07 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzer0 View Post
I think that this is too flattering of him. It would imply that his posting is merely mechanical while the truth of the matter is much more vile. He is committed to dishonesty and exaggeration for the sake of attention. He posts around the clock and every day too so his act has grown very thin in my eyes.
You may agree or disagree with him, but Fuhr has been here a long time and has provided some lively and interesting discussions. It is useful to have a contrarian at times.

That's a pretty personal attack you just made on another poster. One thing I admire about Fuhr is that, though he takes a lot of grief on here, he rarely gets personal in response.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Huston

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoCkMaN View Post
Broken Jaw? Bah! Alfie shouldn't be out more than 5 minutes. His pain tolerance seems to be very high.
Well... he was out of 5-10 minutes and returned.

Huston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:16 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post

It isnt that it is Alfie that is injured, it is that Alfie produces like 1/4 of our offense.

If any of the big 3 are injured our chance of losing increases exponentially! You just notice it more since Alfie is always injured now a days, while Heatley is rarely gone!
How many times have the big three been split up at ES only to fail?
How many times has Alfie been forced to come off the 2nd line to play with Speatley, cause they wont producing?

It goes beyond Alfies injurys. Murray said he was going to assess this team, based on what happens. With Alfredsson injured, time to put Speatley under the microscope. Time to carry us.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Northern Neighbour

I wonder what the lines will be for tonight.

Personally, I would like to see Heatley play with Vermette and Kelly. Heatley seems to have good chemistry with Vermette. But then who does Spezza play with? Not a whole of options available other than Ruutu, McAmmond, Donovan, Winchester, and Hennessey.

The lines, though, likely will be:

McAmmond - Spezza - Heatley
Foligno - Fisher - Shannon
Kelly - Vermette - Ruutu
Donovan - Hennessey - Winchester

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:21 AM
waynson spetzky

Has it actually been stated anywhere that Alfredsson won't be playing tonight? He was able to finish the game in Colorado so I'd bet that he's in the lineup tonight.

waynson spetzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:23 AM
heatley_fan*

Quote:

There are many other 7 million dollar players in the league who don't need 2 other all stars to help them generate offense.

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:25 AM
The Chef*

I hope I get to see alfie on saturday!

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Flamingo

This is the worst possible injury for the playoff dream.

Heatley's tipped pass only tapped Alfie's jaw. His jaw was broken by Tucker who jumped him on his way to the dressing room. Channel your despair into hatred of the Leafs of 2000-04.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:34 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg View Post
Has it actually been stated anywhere that Alfredsson won't be playing tonight? He was able to finish the game in Colorado so I'd bet that he's in the lineup tonight.
For the record I fractured my wrist in a high school basketball game, not knowing at the time it was fractured (just felt stiffness in the wrist) only to wrap it up and finish the game. Got a cast the next day.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the soreness...or the swelling only effected him the following morning.

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg View Post
With Hennessey called up, it's highly unlikely that Alfie will play tonight. I think it was reported that he was still quite swollen last night.

Old
02-19-2009, 09:52 AM
waynson spetzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exemplify View Post
For the record I fractured my wrist in a high school basketball game, not knowing at the time it was fractured (just felt stiffness in the wrist) only to wrap it up and finish the game. Got a cast the next day.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the soreness...or the swelling only effected him the following morning.
Good point. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him playing tonight though. It doesn't look like his injury was nearly as bad as Vanek's.

waynson spetzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanataboy68 View Post
The fact that the club has responded so significantly to a coaching change shows that the roster is not as incomplete as people thought. Certainly there are holes to plug, but we are a long, long way from being the Leafs. Ottawa has a fair amount of youth and has a decent positioning in this years draft with two first round picks.

The team is being restocked, but need to remain competitive. I think you are over-reacting.

Many people on this forum put way too much stock in draft picks, when you only have 2-3 really young guys on your roster in any given year going up and down from the farm team to the Show. We have the picks and need to use them wisely (i.e. not trade them away).

I want us to make some moves on draft day, but I want there to be a few moves, and wise ones. I am under no false illusions that Melnyk or Murray think we are making the playoffs, and will trade for rentals. We are better to play as well as we can and set ourselves up to get what we need going forward.

Frankly, if you go by what other coaches were saying on the road trip, other teams are already concered that ottawa is improving. That tells me we don't need to rebuild as much as many thought just a month ago.
I don't really buy the confidence argument at least when it pertains to missing the playoffs. The club will have 4 months to recover from their disappointing season and they'll have a clean slate to begin next year. Many of the players will also go on to represent their countries at the World Hockey Championships, where they can partly salvage their seasons.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sens miss the playoffs and have a top-5 pick. Sure, while the draft pick likely won't make an immediate impact next year (unless he's Tavares or Hedman), add a blue-chip prospect would bold well for the Senators in the long term, especially with Alfredsson getting older and potential holes that may be left should Vermette, Volchenkov, Phillips, etc. decide to sign elsewhere once their contracts expire.

Finishing lower also means higher picks in each round, which could be leveraged to acquire players or move up in the draft.

Another thing to consider is that if the team continues to play well, Murray may not want to make a move, which could result in a lost opportunity to acquire picks and prospects in return for some players, namely impending UFAs like Kuba, Neil, and McAmmond. Even with Alfredsson, the likelihood of making the playoffs is quite slim, and it would be better for the organization to focus on strengthening the team over the longer term.

I think regardless of how the team finishes, this club has shown that it isn't as bad as it was through the first 48 games. That being said, there are still some holes, and the draft will help to fill some of those holes in the near and long terms, and trades and FA will the other means.

Old
02-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
This just shows how tough Alfie is, he came back in the game!

and lol at the announcers, they thought it was just a small bruise/scratch

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:10 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
OMG you this team cant catch a ****ing break (no pun intended)

i guess they made their own bed and now they have sleep in it
We have been very fortunate this year with injuries

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:13 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I don't really buy the confidence argument at least when it pertains to missing the playoffs. The club will have 4 months to recover from their disappointing season and they'll have a clean slate to begin next year. Many of the players will also go on to represent their countries at the World Hockey Championships, where they can partly salvage their seasons.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sens miss the playoffs and have a top-5 pick. Sure, while the draft pick likely won't make an immediate impact next year (unless he's Tavares or Hedman), add a blue-chip prospect would bold well for the Senators in the long term, especially with Alfredsson getting older and potential holes that may be left should Vermette, Volchenkov, Phillips, etc. decide to sign elsewhere once their contracts expire.

Finishing lower also means higher picks in each round, which could be leveraged to acquire players or move up in the draft.

Another thing to consider is that if the team continues to play well, Murray may not want to make a move, which could result in a lost opportunity to acquire picks and prospects in return for some players, namely impending UFAs like Kuba, Neil, and McAmmond. Even with Alfredsson, the likelihood of making the playoffs is quite slim, and it would be better for the organization to focus on strengthening the team over the longer term.

I think regardless of how the team finishes, this club has shown that it isn't as bad as it was through the first 48 games. That being said, there are still some holes, and the draft will help to fill some of those holes in the near and long terms, and trades and FA will the other means.
Even playing at 90% (9 of 10 points) we made up what - 1 point - towards a playoff spot. Murray does not need a re-build, just a serious tweek. I doubt we win a lottery so Tavares and Hedman are unlikely. But a guy like MSP, Cowen, Schenn or Duchene are within reach and would probably play next year.

Plus our position in the next rounds is better all over. Rundblad could also be a strong player in a year as SJs pick to us.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Jackie Treehorn

we'll see how the boys respond without him, but to be an optimist, if we keep winning great and if we start losing better draft pick which is O.K. too. But honestly, let's make the playoffs, Go Sens Go.

Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
What? Howdid this happen? Aaaah!

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by udonnoodles View Post
Hopefully he's not out for too long. Our record with him out is horrendous.
I see nothing wrong with this. We aren't making the playoffs, I'd rather have a top 5 pick than a pick around 10-12.

We come away with 9/10 possible points and gain a wopping 2 pts on 8th, the sooner people realize this the better. I'm not a fan of tanking, but it is pretty obvious that we won't make the playoffs so why push for that elusive number 9 seed and a crappy pick.

With any luck Spezza's back will act up again and he'll miss a few weeks.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SilverCup View Post
What? Howdid this happen? Aaaah!
He took a puck to the face if I recall. The puck hit him square in the side of his head. I thought he may have broken his cheek bone, but a broken jaw is a lot worse as he won't be able to eat solid foods for some time and likely won't be able to play for at least a week or more.