HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs did well tonight because...

View Poll Results: Why was this a good game?
No Kovalev 41 26.28%
Schneider 55 35.26%
Price's white pads 60 38.46%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2009, 10:35 AM
  #51
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(
 
Iyathurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal,Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
^^^ I love your avatar.

Iyathurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:44 AM
  #52
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Hmmm.

My point was that it's not because one player is benched, or the goalie changed the pads or Schneider's good game that all of a sudden this team starts to play as a team.

It's easy to say that this team is better because Kovalev was benched. That Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn were better because he wasn't there. Too easy.

IMO Kovalev is not the only problem, he's part of it.He's no Avery, he was actually hated by most of his teammates who said it publicly. This hasn't happenned and I'm sure he isn't hated by his teammates. Chemistry, Team spirit, and Kovalev's bad influence doesn't solve all of this team's defensive poorplay or our goaltender's woes.

Why did we play well last night? Because we worked hard as a team.
They had no choice to answer after all of this and were still talking about a loss.

You still don't get the point about psychology. A disctraction will usually influence most players on the team. Defensive play, goaltending, is also part of that. The defense and goalies were fine 14 games ago, they were one of the hottest teams. They didn't start to play bad because suddenly they were bad. There was a catalyst to that. And seeing the player's reaction last night, to me it seems that there was something big going on in the lockeroom. Sending Kovy home seemed to have fixed what was distracting the players. It,s also too easy to believe that the defensive play is bad for no other reason that its bad, when the past showed the opposite. Yeah, that's right, don't you remember the Habs sat in the top 5 for best defense for almost the entire season up to date before the last 14 games? Psychology, related to team spirit and chemistry is one of the single most important aspects of running a hockey club. It's not the easy route, its the logical one.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:03 AM
  #53
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You still don't get the point about psychology. A disctraction will usually influence most players on the team. Defensive play, goaltending, is also part of that. The defense and goalies were fine 14 games ago, they were one of the hottest teams. They didn't start to play bad because suddenly they were bad. There was a catalyst to that. And seeing the player's reaction last night, to me it seems that there was something big going on in the lockeroom. Sending Kovy home seemed to have fixed what was distracting the players. It,s also too easy to believe that the defensive play is bad for no other reason that its bad, when the past showed the opposite. Yeah, that's right, don't you remember the Habs sat in the top 5 for best defense for almost the entire season up to date before the last 14 games? Psychology, related to team spirit and chemistry is one of the single most important aspects of running a hockey club. It's not the easy route, its the logical one.
It's funny, we were one of the top 5 best defensive teams with Kovalev in the team also. The defense and the goaltenders were fine? Even when we were winning we kept on giving 3-4-5 goals .

Sending Kovy home was part of the shakeup that Gainey wanted to create, he also traded for an veteran dman and sent down Sergei.

That all together had to push the whole team. I don' think benching Kovalev alone before this game could've made us perform better.

I'm aware that team spirit, confidence and chemistry is a very important part of a hockey team, but it's not fair to put the whole thing on Kovalev's shoulder.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:07 AM
  #54
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
None of the above. They did ok because they actually forechecked instead of sitting back content with being in the defensive zone the whole night.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:15 AM
  #55
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
It's funny, we were one of the top 5 best defensive teams with Kovalev in the team also.
That's a nice strawman. The problems in the lockeroom didn't seem to show up until Koivu came back and Kovalev reverted back into 1st gear, which is not Koivu's problem, but Kovy's.

Quote:
The defense and the goaltenders were fine? Even when we were winning we kept on giving 3-4-5 goals .
No that's untrue and you are totally exagerating. They were top 5-7 on defense before the last 14 games. Go check the scores from mid-december to mid-January.

Quote:
Sending Kovy home was part of the shakeup that Gainey wanted to create, he also traded for an veteran dman and sent down Sergei.
I never said Kovy was the only one causing problems in the lockeroom. Sorry, but a "shakeup" as you say is a psychological weapon. He used that weapon and look at the results. It is also apparent SKost was part of the problem. And the trade was in the works waaaaaaaaaaaaay before the problems started showing up, so that is just coincidential.

Quote:
That all together had to push the whole team. I don' think benching Kovalev alone before this game could've made us perform better.
I beg to differ. I've seen it before and it will happen again. We have no idea of what went on in the lockeroom, but from cause and effect, to me, it is obvious having Kovy around, whether is was his fault or not, was a big part of the problem.

Quote:
I'm aware that team spirit, confidence and chemistry is a very important part of a hockey team, but it's not fair to put the whole thing on Kovalev's shoulder.
I never said it was all Kovalev, but he was part of the problem, whether the players wanted him out, Carbo wanted him out, or that he was plainly a bad influence, or that he had personal issues and was affecting the team. There was a feud in the lockeroom and Kovy was part of that. It's not about being fair, its about logical deduction and critical thinking.

Anwyay, lets just agree to disagree.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:37 PM
  #56
habsfan44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
The Habs played well tonight because they played as a team. They supported each other all night and they worked hard. Price was solid as well and that helps the teams confidence too. It was an all round good game by everybody in the lineup. Schneider is going to make a huge difference too. He is so calm back there and makes smart decisions...both offensively and defensively.

If Kovy comes back Saturday night and plays hard and gets support from his teammates, the Habs will be even better.

One thing is for sure....the Habs didn't only play well last night because Kovy was out....they played well because they worked hard and played smart hockey.
They played like their jobs depended on it . Anybody who thinks the teams poor play is all Kovalevs fault and he is the only one on the bubble here just aren't seeing the whole picture .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
  #57
habsfan44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
probably Plekanec's best game of the year,I wonder why....
Because it's the first time this year that he has played like a man .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.