HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Smyth

Old
02-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Agent007

vCash: 500
Bob McKenzie was on the Team 1040 here in Vancouver this morning and he said one of the biggest names that is on the trading block is in fact Ryan Smyth.

Rumour has it that the Av's GM has been told by management to cut payroll and Smyth is a player that is available.

They aren't going to just dump him for anything but if they can get a good package of assets in return they'll pull the trigger however keep in mind that Smyth does have a NTC so at the end of the day he's got the final say.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:01 AM
richardn

I could see a team like Pittsburgh being really interested in a guy like Ryan Smyth.

Maybe something like Jordan Staal and Ryan Whitney for Jordan Leopold, Ryan Smyth and Darcy Tucker.

Why Pittsburgh does this?

The Pens could realy use some leadership, toughness and skill on the wing and these two wingers bring a wealth of both.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:04 AM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
I could see a team like Pittsburgh being really interested in a guy like Ryan Smyth.

Maybe something like Jordan Staal and Ryan Whitney for Jordan Leopold, Ryan Smyth and Darcy Tucker.

Why Pittsburgh does this?

The Pens could realy use some leadership, toughness and skill on the wing and these two wingers bring a wealth of both.
Leopold is a defenseman. Oh you meant Tucker. He brings absolutely nothing to the game of hockey.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:12 AM
quesosauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Leopold is a defenseman. Oh you meant Tucker. He brings absolutely nothing to the game of hockey.
SHHHHHHHHSHHH! dont tell them that, if they want tucker, let them have him

quesosauce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Pure

Find a point shot for smyth and his salary will no longer seem overpaid. Won't be a steal, cause 6.2 million for a non-all star is never a steal, but he'd be an elite complementary player.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
Bob McKenzie was on the Team 1040 here in Vancouver this morning and he said one of the biggest names that is on the trading block is in fact Ryan Smyth.

Rumour has it that the Av's GM has been told by management to cut payroll and Smyth is a player that is available.

They aren't going to just dump him for anything but if they can get a good package of assets in return they'll pull the trigger however keep in mind that Smyth does have a NTC so at the end of the day he's got the final say.
Those are all rumors that have little basis in reality. There hasn't been any news out of the organization that costs need to be cut. The Avs are under the cap by a decent amount anyway. What's more if the Avs did want to move salary they'd trade Salei, Clark, or both. They're each making $3+ million a year and don't have a no movement clause. It's amazing how one person can spread a false rumor and it catches on like wild fire.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
Those are all rumors that have little basis in reality. There hasn't been any news out of the organization that costs need to be cut. The Avs are under the cap by a decent amount anyway. What's more if the Avs did want to move salary they'd trade Salei, Clark, or both. They're each making $3+ million a year and don't have a no movement clause. It's amazing how one person can spread a false rumor and it catches on like wild fire.
This organization has been anything but open and candid when it comes to...well...anything at all.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Bob View Post
His contract really is overbearing. I could even see him getting bought out in a few years if the cap goes down the amount people are speculating.
I think it all depends on his production. If he continues producing like he is this year - they'll find room for him.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I agree Smyth along with Hejduk have been the best two players on our roster this year.

I really disagree with Smyths contract not being bad. I like what Smyth brings to the table but there is no way I would pay a cent over 5mil a year for him. With the salary cap the way it is the players that should make over 6mil a year are the top end elite talents in the league.

I like Smyth but 60pts players with leadership skills should get paid in the 5mil range. We're drastically overpaying for some leadership.

Some examples of players with better contracts than Smyths:
Getzlaf, ANA, 5.3 cap hit
Savard, BOS, 5.0
E. Staal, CAR, 4.5
Elias, NJD, 6.0
Alfredsson, OWA, 4.4
Carter, PHI, 5.0
Doan, PHX, 4.5
Smyth, COL, 6.25

All of these players I would take over Smyth minus Staal or Savard. I think the best example of Smyths horrid contract is Doan. They are basically the same player who brings the same to the table every night. I even think Doan might be a little better than Smyth. Except Doan gets paid what he should 4.5mil (maybe a little under), Smyth gets paid like a freaking superstar.
Staal signed a long term deal where he's making $7.5M+ over most of several UFA years.

You can't reasonably compare guys who signed when the cap was 20% lower (Savard, Elias, etc) and RFA contracts (Getzlaf, Carter), or long term team guys who intentionally sign below market value (Doan, Alfredsson) to a guy who signed as a UFA with a new team. Just not a good comparison.

What reason to Smyth have to give COL a "home town" discount like Doan did to PHO or Alfie did to OTT? And COL is competeting against 10+ other teams that want to sign Smyth whereas ANA wasn't competing with anyone (or at least at a much reduced level with the RFA compensation) to sign Getzlaf.

I do think that Smyth's contract is bad going forward just due to the level of risk of a fall off in play from a guy that takes a lot of abuse. I don't think it's a really bad contract this year - just the typical premium it takes to sign a UFA.

Old
02-19-2009, 01:09 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I think it all depends on his production. If he continues producing like he is this year - they'll find room for him.
There is no need to "find" room for him, Smyth is a leader on the team and is very much apart of the organization. The Avs aren't looking to just dump him, he was given a NMC for a reason.The Avs aren't in cap trouble, so you can throw that excuse out the window. Payroll has never been a major issue with Stan Kroenke, unless he's starting to penny pinch this shouldn't come into play. The Avs have no reason to move Smyth unless he's asked for a trade.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
quesosauce

if payroll is the issue with the avs (which it shouldnt be) then cut the following

Salei-3million
Clark-3.5 million
Tucker-2 million
Possibly Liles-4.2 millions

Old
02-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Mizral

I would really love to see Vancouver make a big play for him, or Calgary for that matter. I'm sure nobody wants to trade within the NW division right now, but Smyth really thrives in this conference and on either one of those teams he could help them put them over the top. Oil fans might not like the idea much though.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
davalanche96

I like a lot Smyth for is leadership but if we receive a offer like

Smyth for J-Bo (with a contract)

or

Smyth/Arnason/Tucker for Staal and Whitney

or

Smyth for Kubina and 1round pick.

That could be great!

davalanche96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:41 PM
quesosauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral View Post
I would really love to see Vancouver make a big play for him, or Calgary for that matter. I'm sure nobody wants to trade within the NW division right now, but Smyth really thrives in this conference and on either one of those teams he could help them put them over the top. Oil fans might not like the idea much though.
smyth and calgary are like oil and water, they dont mix

Old
02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
PeterTheGreat

If we're trading Smyth, I want a legitimate number 1 goalie coming back, or a prospect that has potential to be a number 1 goalie.

LA looking for some offensive help? They have the cap space.

Smyth for Bernier and O'Sullivan

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davalanche96 View Post
I like a lot Smyth for is leadership but if we receive a offer like

Smyth for J-Bo (with a contract)

or

Smyth/Arnason/Tucker for Staal and Whitney

or

Smyth for Kubina and 1round pick.

That could be great!
No offense, but you think there great because the Av's are completely DESTROYING the other team in each of those trades.

Smyth's contract would minimize his value.

Old
02-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
If we're trading Smyth, I want a legitimate number 1 goalie coming back, or a prospect that has potential to be a number 1 goalie.

LA looking for some offensive help? They have the cap space.

Smyth for Bernier and O'Sullivan
I don't think that the Kings would trade Bernier straight up Smyth.

Old
02-19-2009, 03:25 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post
This videoclip ( http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip141303 ) was posted on the avs section, and speculation continues around ryan smyth (look at the end of the video clip by the way)

what is the expected value of Ryan Smyth this time around?

Also, do non avs fans expect him to be traded?
Expect a McCabe type deal with a higher pick going from Col (than the Leafs had to add) and a lesser player coming back (than VanRyn)

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:35 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
Expect a McCabe type deal with a higher pick going from Col (than the Leafs had to add) and a lesser player coming back (than VanRyn)
Smyth is much more valuable then McCabe. The Avs should hang on to Smyth if thats all we're going to get.

Old
02-19-2009, 03:55 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Smyth is much more valuable then McCabe. The Avs should hang on to Smyth if thats all we're going to get.
different situation as far as management ...but, his $$ is worse than McCabe's was and look how well he's doing in Florida. ...he's a top pairing D-man, Smyth is a top 6 winger (depending on the team top line)

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
different situation as far as management ...but, his $$ is worse than McCabe's was and look how well he's doing in Florida. ...he's a top pairing D-man, Smyth is a top 6 winger (depending on the team top line)
McCabe a top pairing dman? While Smyth is only a top 6 winger? If you say so man.

Also as for the management comment, Kroenke is one of the richest owners in all of pro sports. Add to that the wealth of his wife, they do not need to cut any salary. If theres a deal that makes us better either now or in the future, then of course they'll look into it, just like with any player, but don't think we're trading Smyth purely as a salary dump. We have plenty of cap space.

Old
02-19-2009, 04:50 PM
cjdv16

i'll give a pair of my dirtiest, smelliest socks for this goofy looking bozy. he's garbage and the Avs will be stuck watching him grow older (and slower by the second).

ain't nobody taking on that ludicrous contract.

(bitter Islander fan here, but in retrospect, the Avs did us a favor -- thanks).

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Pure

Quote:
our GM sucks, but he doesn't suck that much that he would get ripped off by Florida of all teams like Cliff Flitcher did.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:01 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
i'll give a pair of my dirtiest, smelliest socks for this goofy looking bozy. he's garbage and the Avs will be stuck watching him grow older (and slower by the second).

ain't nobody taking on that ludicrous contract.

(bitter Islander fan here, but in retrospect, the Avs did us a favor -- thanks).
No, we couldn't tell.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:06 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
McCabe was a salary dump, the Leafs were actively trying to get rid of him for a while. Smyth has not been asked to waive his NMC. Smyth is not putting us in cap hell. Smyth is not a distraction whatsoever to this team. Fans love him. His teammates love him. If the team wants to shed salary there are other players that could be pawned off for more savings. The team isn't desperately trying to get rid of him. Any trade will have to come from his end. What is so hard for you guys to understand about this?

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote