HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Hold your head up high boys nothing to be ashamed of tonight!

Old
02-19-2009, 08:27 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
Huh. what does this even mean anyway ?
"nearly visible" is a euphemism for "invisible". One extra syllable. Makes it a more important word.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 08:29 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Hopefully the boys build off this game and the talent should get a boost when Tanguay is back next week. Really glad to see the PP having success, Price looking better and the Pleks line was impressive. Great 1st game for #24, it was cool to see him out there since I was a kid back when he was first with the club.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 08:30 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Time on ice is interesting :

Schneider 27:06
Kostopoulos 21:01
Lapierre 20:02
Stewart 17:16

Markov 25:44
Plekanec 17:56
Kostitsyn 17:44
Koivu 16:59
Pacioretty 13:49

I understand Carbo's plan to shut down Ovechkin with Lapierre but he seriously needs to consider using our first and second lines more than our third... Stewart, which I heart as much as anyone, playing almost as much as Kostitsyn (who scored a goal and tallied an assist) and more than Koivu is ridiculous. Same with Lapierre and Kostopoulos playing over 21min. Energy players need reduced ice time to play with energy or they become less effective (unsurprisingly Lapierre and Stewart are -1, Kosto -2). Schneider was great and he was there for most of our goals but he shouldn't get more TOI than Markov... (I understand Hamrlik leaving didn't help)

Just an observation, the team played well compared to the disaster we've seen recently.
You know that Koivu is not as young anymore and playing against AO, there is no way he would have kept up with him consistently right? Your checking line played alot of minutes because AO's line played alot. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 08:51 AM
habfan1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
they still gave a point away....shouldve been two, Price is weak on shootouts
How do you figure? as a team we are .800% (save percentage) in shoot outs so neither of our goalies are bad at it. The game never should have gotten to shoot out in the first place , but , the shooter has the advantage in that situation.

Old
02-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Hemlor

i know it's only one game, but I felt that Schneider and Markov looked okay together, and Schneider was able to handle a lot of ice time. I don't know if he can sustain it, but he looked good and the whole defensive corp looked more organized. And I liked how they tried to defend the lead in the third, playing an aggressive defense, not like Colorado, which was painful, and more importantly to me was that they didn't fold after the tying goal, they kept with it.

And Price looked good, but he's not quite there yet, evidenced by the shootout, but he's close.

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:07 AM
habfan1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
What a difference it is not having Kovalev out there. He is like a blackhole on the ice and drags everyone down around. He always wants the puck then just dangles it away while his linemates sit there watching him because he sure as hell isn't going to pass it. And what a difference on the powerplay. No having to make sure Kovalev had the puck and waste yet another powerplay chance. I hope he never plays for the Habs again.

As for the game, well the Habs perhaps deserved a better fate but the Caps played a good game too. A tie would have been appropriate in this game but what can ya do. Plekanec looked like a different player with the blackhole not there and Pacioretty played a really good game. Loved the grind line and love what a guy like Stewart brings. Big, young, can skate, can fight and can hit. He is the type of player you need in there.

And great debut by Schneider. It's amazing what can happen when your defense can pass the puck up the ice.

Has anyone found a use for Laraque yet?
Yes! His presence is stopping goons from taking liberties on our young speedy guys, simple.

Old
02-19-2009, 09:23 AM
tollb2

good effort and thats all i ask from my team, to go out and put in a solid effort. This is a step in the right direction. Price was good and is getting back into form(maybe the pads will help him mentaly) and Shneider had a realy good game and good passing. Plecs actualy finaly had a decent game. I feel that if tanguay was in the line up it would of been a win cant wait till he is back. Koivu looked invisable at times.

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Craig71

I think we deserved a much better fate tonight. I was very impressed with this team, and I am positive, that if this version of the habs had started out on the road trip together with the kind of clarity they have now we would probably have one loss instead of one win. Lets face reality that was the second best team in the east we faced out there. I think our guys gave them all they could handle, let's look at the glass as half full here, if lapierre converts on that third period chance or the Plekanec shot is a millimeter to the right , then the end result would be better. We still got a point and now have a clear view of what should be done on the ice. We won alot of games early on, when other teams were struggling, now we have struggled, every team goes through it, and we are definitely heading back in the winning direction, Bob Gainey stepped in and showed them that if Kovalev can be sent home in order to show players that "no we are not happy" . It definitely got their attention, I think they (the younger players) respected Kovalev and as a result their play followed his, and tonight without him they were free to listen to Carbo and in my opinion(which means nothing lol) they responded big time!!!!

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:56 AM
jcpenny

I hope everybody realized how a puck mover like Schneider could help this team. This team doesnt need Lecavalier, Tkachuk or Jokinen, they need better defensmen. A better transition game means we have the puck longer and spend less time in the defensive zone. Add Kovy, Tanguay and Latendresse (who was playing very well before his injury) to this line up and we have one hell of a team. Another veteran on the back end to replace Bouillon would be awsome and then i think we'd be set for a run.

We have more than enough weapons on offense to survive in the playoffs. I say we should stack the defense for the playoffs.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
It drives me crazy when we get a faceoff in the opposition zone and Carbo sends Laraque line to take it. It happened twice last night and almost cost us a goal.

Great game by Schneider he will help a lot.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
get over it Nate, it's finito for Breezer ! finally !
We'll see.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:49 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
We'll see.
I think Breezer will take over Bouillon's spot. Hes not done yet.

Old
02-19-2009, 11:53 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Hopefully the boys build off this game and the talent should get a boost when Tanguay is back next week. Really glad to see the PP having success, Price looking better and the Pleks line was impressive. Great 1st game for #24, it was cool to see him out there since I was a kid back when he was first with the club.
damn i feel old now

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
I think Breezer will take over Bouillon's spot. Hes not done yet.
He's still got 6 games left to reach 1,000.. so he's obviously not done.

Plus, we have no idea what the trade deadline brings.. if we acquire a star player, Bouillon may have to be moved for salary purposes.

Either way, I think in the next few days, we'll see Bouillon sat. Whether in favour of Brisebois or Dandenault, I don't know.. but the Hamrlik/Komisarek pairing needs a puck mover.

Markov - Scheinder (too good last game to break up)
Gorges - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Brisebois/Dandenault

Is what I think we'll see in the coming few weeks.

Hell, at this point, don't be shocked to see Brisebois re-signed as the #7 guy again. Although if he is re-inked to a new deal, he will be the #7 this year and not our #4-#5 for most of the season. He was going to sign a 2-year deal in the off season, but they opted for 1-year incase his body couldn't hold up.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
damn i feel old now
I was a teen then

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Gorges - Komisarek
That's still not good. Gainey will bring in another defenseman IMO. No defense that has any of Bouillon, Brisebois or Dandenault playing isn't going to win anything and I'm sure Gainey knows that.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:14 PM
skipp18

Quote:
Either way, I think in the next few days, we'll see Bouillon sat.
Bouillon has been brutal of late, but at least last night he brought his physical game that makes his effective.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:14 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
That's still not good. Gainey will bring in another defenseman IMO. No defense that has any of Bouillon, Brisebois or Dandenault playing is going to win anything and I'm sure Gainey knows that.
Bringing another Defensman would be the ideal scenario.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipp18 View Post
Bouillon has been brutal of late, but at least last night he brought his physical game that makes his effective.
He's just redundant, that's all. He's not needed with the acquisition of Scheinder.. we need someone who can move the puck because Hammer w/ Komo is going to get eaten alive.

Quote:
That's still not good. Gainey will bring in another defenseman IMO. No defense that has any of Bouillon, Brisebois or Dandenault playing isn't going to win anything and I'm sure Gainey knows that.
Not that I don't agree, but Brisebois was definitely not the problem last year in the playoffs (6 points in 10 games). He's also been better this season than he was last year.

However, adding another defenseman is ideal, but I think Gainey will look for some veteran leadership up front instead (a guy like Peca, Recchi, etc)

Old
02-19-2009, 12:29 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
He's still got 6 games left to reach 1,000.. so he's obviously not done.

Plus, we have no idea what the trade deadline brings.. if we acquire a star player, Bouillon may have to be moved for salary purposes.

Either way, I think in the next few days, we'll see Bouillon sat. Whether in favour of Brisebois or Dandenault, I don't know.. but the Hamrlik/Komisarek pairing needs a puck mover.

Gorges - Komisarek

Is what I think we'll see in the coming few weeks.

Hell, at this point, don't be shocked to see Brisebois re-signed as the #7 guy again. Although if he is re-inked to a new deal, he will be the #7 this year and not our #4-#5 for most of the season. He was going to sign a 2-year deal in the off season, but they opted for 1-year incase his body couldn't hold up.
don't you dare put those 7 words together !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I was a teen then
i wished !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
He's just redundant, that's all. He's not needed with the acquisition of Scheinder.. we need someone who can move the puck because Hammer w/ Komo is going to get eaten alive.

Not that I don't agree, but Brisebois was definitely not the problem last year in the playoffs (6 points in 10 games). He's also been better this season than he was last year.

However, adding another defenseman is ideal, but I think Gainey will look for some veteran leadership up front instead (a guy like Peca, Recchi, etc)
Moving Kovalev + a Boullion/Dandenault would allow for both.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

So was I right or was I right when on thuesday I said Schneider would be an upgrade to what we had with Streit, that Schneider would provide for the same thing on the PP and for the break out pass, but also, would be better defensively on the right side than Streit was?

Old
02-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
don't you dare put those 7 words together !

i wished !
What do you mean? What age were you when they last won a cup?

Old
02-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
What do you mean? What age were you when they last won a cup?
I had just turned 6.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
So was I right or was I right when on thuesday I said Schneider would be an upgrade to what we had with Streit, that Schneider would provide for the same thing on the PP and for the break out pass, but also, would be better defensively on the right side than Streit was?
Nope.

Streit is awesome defensively this year.

Okay, awesome may be pushing it a bit.. but he's formed into a Top-2 defenseman, easily.