HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Alfredsson Has a Broken Jaw

Old
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
The Fuhr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
I started thinking the FFS line was any line with Kelly missing multiple open nets per game.
nice

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Just like the coaching change was a test that team responded well to, Aflie's injury is another test the team needs to pass if they ever hope to win the cup.
I agree with Fuhr, time for Speatley to shine and show they can be counted on in times like these. They both have shown in the past that they are capable of elevating their play, but never without Alfie. Time to step up guys!

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:17 PM
M4TR1X
SENSational User

Send a message via Skype™ to M4TR1X
Its never good news when a leader of your team is injured. Not just a leader but a key player.

Ottawa has another obstacle to overcome.

M4TR1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:18 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

We're done for!

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:22 PM
M4TR1X
SENSational User

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
We're done for!
Not really. Its only a small fracture and its a game time decision.

Old
02-19-2009, 02:25 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb Of God View Post
He's out for at least a week though, and with such little room for error, it's unlikely we'll make the playoffs now. Let's just say the nearly impossible has become impossible.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb Of God View Post
Where did you read or hear that Alfie is a game-time decision? Clouston has already stated that Kelly will take Alfie's spot on the top line with Hennessey called up to play tonight. Alfie also stated that he will miss some time and hopes to be back some time next week.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:30 PM
SenatorsHockey
Sweet hockey body

Who do you guys think will get the captaincy? Or do you think Clouston will have three A's on the ice tonight?

SenatorsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:31 PM
M4TR1X
SENSational User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Where did you read or hear that Alfie is a game-time decision? Clouston has already stated that Kelly will take Alfie's spot on the top line with Hennessey called up to play tonight. Alfie also stated that he will miss some time and hopes to be back some time next week.
TSN. Nevermind, I read that a while ago.

Old
02-19-2009, 03:06 PM
ohmbrew

Fuhr, do you honestly think that either Heatley or Spezza should be traded if they can't carry this team on their backs within this three game sample size?

Really? Come on...you're more reasonable than that.

I understand it's frustrating to watch these guys not do well, but this has been a crappy season for ALL players within the team. Sure, they're highly paid, but you sort of have to evaluate the team as a group as well and see that things have not worked out for various reasons. If you make rash decisions like that and sacrifice a high quality player based on the games when Alfie is out, that's just being foolish.

Spezza and Heatley have done well in the past, and both have been able to consistently score in the playoffs. You have to remember that the last half of last year and this entire year have been horrible for this franchise, but at least these guys can still put up points. What would you rather have instead of Spezza and Heatley, more third liners?

Sometime you just have to write off a period of bad games. Heatley and Spezza have created a lot of chances this season, and for whatever reason, they've been snakebitten, but the chances are still there, and I can't imagine how pathetic the team would look if we didn't have either of these guys.

So, in all honesty, I can't imagine how you think it would be wise for the future of this team to trade one of these two guys based on a few games when Alfie is out. Vice versa, even if they do excel in Alfie's absence, it doesn't mean they're necessarily ready to break out and be the leaders we've all been looking for. The sample size is just too small.

ohmbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:07 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Keep Heatley but trade Spezza, maybe the Islanders will give us their first pick for him?

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Anasazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Keep Heatley but trade Spezza, maybe the Islanders will give us their first pick for him?
No

good to hear it's nothing too serious, hope for a speedy full recovery...

Anasazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:08 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmbrew View Post
Fuhr, do you honestly think that either Heatley or Spezza should be traded if they can't carry this team on their backs within this three game sample size?

Really? Come on...you're more reasonable than that.

I understand it's frustrating to watch these guys not do well, but this has been a crappy season for ALL players within the team. Sure, they're highly paid, but you sort of have to evaluate the team as a group as well and see that things have not worked out for various reasons. If you make rash decisions like that and sacrifice a high quality player based on the games when Alfie is out, that's just being foolish.

Spezza and Heatley have done well in the past, and both have been able to consistently score in the playoffs. You have to remember that the last half of last year and this entire year have been horrible for this franchise, but at least these guys can still put up points. What would you rather have instead of Spezza and Heatley, more third liners?

Sometime you just have to write off a period of bad games. Heatley and Spezza have created a lot of chances this season, and for whatever reason, they've been snakebitten, but the chances are still there, and I can't imagine how pathetic the team would look if we didn't have either of these guys.

So, in all honesty, I can't imagine how you think it would be wise for the future of this team to trade one of these two guys based on a few games when Alfie is out. Vice versa, even if they do excel in Alfie's absence, it doesn't mean they're necessarily ready to break out and be the leaders we've all been looking for. The sample size is just too small.
A week is to short but I was thinking Vanek with the injury. Say 3-4 weeks

If it is 3-4 weeks that should be enough. I am sick and tired of them always failing when Alfie is not there to holdthere hands. Time to make a statement.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Tanoooki

spezza for only a first rounder. HA!

Tanoooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:12 PM
M4TR1X
SENSational User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic Senator View Post
spezza for only a first rounder. HA!
Scary thought.

Old
02-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Ours Whole

Here's hoping for yet another miracle in the Coach Clouston era! Go Sens go!

Think we'll see many lost Leafs fans/jerseys in the crowd this evening? I'm guessing more than a few.

Ours Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Skrymir

Senschirp says that Alfie could be out a month... Hopefully not but we'll see.

Skrymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Kanataboy68

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
A week is to short but I was thinking Vanek with the injury. Say 3-4 weeks

If it is 3-4 weeks that should be enough. I am sick and tired of them always failing when Alfie is not there to holdthere hands. Time to make a statement.
If Alfie is out for 3-4 weeks, yeah, I think the decisions get tougher for Sens Management.

We are not making the playoffs anytime soon and no one in the Sens organizaton has stated they want to make a run, but frankly 1 month of losing (if the team can;t play well without a leader) means that seat sales will suffer until the end of the year. That means management will be motivated to make moves now rather than in the summer, IMO.

Kanataboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanataboy68 View Post
If Alfie is out for 3-4 weeks, yeah, I think the decisions get tougher for Sens Management.

We are not making the playoffs anytime soon and no one in the Sens organizaton has stated they want to make a run, but frankly 1 month of losing (if the team can;t play well without a leader) means that seat sales will suffer until the end of the year. That means management will be motivated to make moves now rather than in the summer, IMO.
What do you mean by that? That the team will be buyers, and thus acquire players in order to be at least competitive? Or that the team will be sellers and cut some costs now in order to maximize profits?

If the former, I don't see the management team being that myopic and make panic moves just to put seats in the arena. Heck, if the team is out of it by the deadline - and they're virtually out of the playoff race now - fairweather fans won't go to the rink regardless of the moves the team makes. Making panic moves could also see season-ticket sales decrease because people don't like the direction the team is moving.

If the latter, then the team would be making deals in order to load up on assets (picks, prospects) in order to make a bigger trade in the off-season and to free up cap space to sign some free agents.

By your post, it seems that you were referring to the first option since you stated that the team likely won't wait until the off-season to make any moves.

Old
02-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Kanataboy68

I don;t think that many teams outside of Toronto can run through the season with a 56 million payroll and not have a lot of sell outs if they expect to amke good margins. I know the beers are $10, but the Snes are running tons of events in the building and pushing really hard on sales of all kinds. I am suggesting that they need to provide high quality entertainment to make their planned season ticket sales numbers and to make decent margins this year.

I have a couple of buddies in the league and they tell me that lots of clubs pay the bills in the regular season and earn their gravy in the post season. Ottawa has bought up US cash and done other things (events) to keep pace, but sales are always critical.

I think the Sens management will feel pressured to ensure we have a winning or entertaining team, for revenue purposes as much as long term performance. It's not a matter of selling out on one to salvage the other. It's just a business imperative to try and balance both.

They need a (relatively) full building to stay ahead, especially with all the price slashing they are doing.

Kanataboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanataboy68 View Post
I don;t think that many teams outside of Toronto can run through the season with a 56 million payroll and not have a lot of sell outs if they expect to amke good margins. I know the beers are $10, but the Snes are running tons of events in the building and pushing really hard on sales of all kinds. I am suggesting that they need to provide high quality entertainment to make their planned season ticket sales numbers and to make decent margins this year.

I have a couple of buddies in the league and they tell me that lots of clubs pay the bills in the regular season and earn their gravy in the post season. Ottawa has bought up US cash and done other things (events) to keep pace, but sales are always critical.

I think the Sens management will feel pressured to ensure we have a winning or entertaining team, for revenue purposes as much as long term performance. It's not a matter of selling out on one to salvage the other. It's just a business imperative to try and balance both.

They need a (relatively) full building to stay ahead, especially with all the price slashing they are doing.
I disagree. The Sens don't have high costs other than payroll. Melnyk owns both the team and the arena, so there aren't leases to pay or other subsidiary costs. Melnyk, Mlakar, and Murray also know that Sens fans aren't stupid and the fans realize that making the playoffs is not very realistic. It doesn't matter what the quality of the product is in the bigger scheme of things as people want results - i.e., victories and playoffs, the latter which likely won't happen.

Making any type of move that is considered to be a panic transaction could also have the opposite effect on fans. They'll see a team desperate to do something despite the odds. Fortunately, Murray realizes this and has stated that he won't mortgage the team's future. If he was going to take this approach, he would have done this a long time ago.

The more prudent short- and long-term business approach is to cut costs now (i.e., trade players, namely pending UFAs), increase the team's assets (i.e., draft picks and prospects), and create cap space for the off-season. Demonstrate to the fans that there is a plan to get the team back on track, make good choices at the draft, and then make some shrewd moves in the off-season. If the fans see a plan, they'll attend Sens games. Heck, this city has shown that it will support the team in any situation, and I believe the fans will continue to support the team in all situations. Well, maybe not through all situations as the current economic situation is affecting everyone.

Old
02-20-2009, 03:58 PM
PhysicalTorque

Poor guy, I know he will come back surging, my idol inspires even miracles.

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:36 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Suck it up Alfie, check out the Bobby Baun video or the Ali vs Norton fight. BTW I hope you like wearing a cage.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 01:43 AM
salomonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
please, that's ridiculous.

salomonster is offline   Reply With Quote