HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev back with team on Friday

Old
02-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
if he comes back and continues to play crappy/uninspired hockey..I say get rid of him.

Hopefully we see a much improved Kovy.

Oh, and please keep Andrei off his line. Please..
My biggest fear IF Kovalev comes back to the team is that he'll be motivated... until March 5th when there after, we're out of options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
if true and gainey isnt trading him or resigning him it shows proves how totally incompetant gainey has become!
And this post shows me how... nahh, I'll let people make their own judgment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Gainey is managing like a king the whole story. Some GMs are probably offering peanuts for Kovalev, and Gainey will increase its value from here to the deadline.

I fully agree with the statement above.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Netro

We may, and I certainly hope, that we will look back at this past week as a turning point in the season.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Stradale

For the members who don't want to see him back. You expect him to play as bad as before? And if you don't care about if he will be good or not. Well that's because you hate the guy too much and lost your judgement.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
For the members who don't want to see him back. You expect him to play as bad as before? And if you don't care about if he will be good or not. Well that's because you hate the guy too much and lost your judgement.
If by losing our judgement you mean not being blinded by love, then I'll agree. I personally think that an opinion is an opinion and because someone doesn't share mine, it doesn't make them less important than I am.

Again, I'm very afraid that if we don't trade him, not only will we be missing out of some decent return (especially if he comes back with a vengeance), but that he could very well tank starting March 5th...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
kovy needed a kick in the butt ... we can all agree on that ... but he loves to play here, and a couple of days off should have put everything in perspective ... that's my opinion from the start of this saga ...

I hope to see him get back to his 2007-2008 form and make sure the team peaks just before the playoffs

today is a good day.
We all hope he would return to his 07-08 play, believe me.

But I don't think it will happen.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Iwishihadacup

wow... stupid stupid move

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:49 PM
LesCanadiens

Interesting news. Gainey is a smart guy. If kovy regains his form, it'll be like adding a dynamic scoring star for nothing.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:53 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges of the Jungle View Post
After all what? They told him to take 2 games off. He is and will return. Sounds like the original plan to me.
Some folks would rather overreact to everything.

If Kovy comes back with the same attitude adjustment he came into last year with following the diappointing 06-07 season, then the team will benefit.

I'm guessing that Bob judged that based on what he heard from Kovy, he does not have a rebel /bad apple on his hands, just a guy in a slump who is determined to break out of it.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Stradale

Asterix let me ask you this. What is the ultimate goal of this season. It's to go as far as possible in the playoff. If you are in Gainey's position. What is the best thing to do? Trade Kovalev for a second round pick and wish this teamto make the playoff. Or give Kovy the time to rest and look himself in the mirror so he can give the best of himself when he comes back.

A good kovalev in the the team is a better than a team without Kovalev. But then again, that's if you believe that Kovalev will be a better player when he comes back. This team has more chance to go far in the playoff with a good Kovalev. Kovalev has always been good in the playoff for us anyways.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Asterix let me ask you this season. What is the ultimate goal of this season. It's to go as far as possible in the playoff. If you are in Gainey's position. What is the best thing to do? Trade Kovalev for a second round pick and wish this teamto make the playoff. Or give Kovy the time to rest and look himself in the mirror so he can give the best of himself when he comes back.

A good kovalev in the the team is a better than a team without Kovalev. But then again, that's if you believe that Kovalev will be a better player when he comes back. This team has more chance to go far in the playoff with a good Kovalev. Kovalev has always been good in the playoff for us anyways.

A team without a Kovalev is better than a team with a bad Kovalev

Old
02-19-2009, 03:57 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
A team without a Kovalev is better than a team with a bad Kovalev
A team with a good Kovalev is miles ahead than a team with no Kovalev.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
A team with a good Kovalev is miles ahead than a team with no Kovalev.
Kovalev didn't gave a damn about the team since the beginning of the year, why would he start now that he have the opportunity to go play in a place he won't have to follow a system?

Old
02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Kovalev didn't gave a damn about the team since the beginning of the year, why would he start now that he have the opportunity to go play in a place he won't have to follow a system?
He does give a damn, why do you think he doesn't? He was good before the ASG, the whole team has been playing like crap since. You can't put all the blame on him when the ****ing defense can't make an outlet pass for their lives.

Old
02-19-2009, 04:00 PM
habtastic

Yaaaay! The Habs dramatic story continues (but as I would have liked). As for the "planned" comeback, I think that Alex must have told Gainey exactly what he wanted to hear and not bs just to placate him. Gainey knows what he's doing and he obviously has a good decision making process. The point of the benching was to "change" Kovy back to his normal self and I guess according to Gainey, it has occurred. He will still miss tonight.

For those who make the argument that if this works -- Kovy is lazy and selfish (since he didn't put in the effort all season)...wtf?

Athletes are very complicated, especially this one. To get him going, it's not just his decision, sometimes you need an extra boost, like an adrenaline rush to push past that wall and I think and hope that this is what is going on. Of course the results will tell, but I'm very glad he's coming back and yes, all the haters will be buying 27 jerseys by the end of the season (or...27 jerseys of Max Pac, by the number).

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
He does give a damn, why do you think he doesn't? He was good before the ASG, the whole team has been playing like crap since. You can't put all the blame on him when the ****ing defense can't make an outlet pass for their lives.
OR

he didn't cared to backcheck and to skate since AT LEAST 1 month and a half

Old
02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Mue

Quote:
Obviously, and I think most posters who dislike Kovalev as a player would rather be proven wrong and have the team benefit than the other way around.

But, and I wonder if a normal discussion about this can exist on HF (probably not), my problem with Kovalev comes down to his impact on the teams dynamic. Or rather, how much energy is spent on getting Kovalev to 'go'. It is almost like he requires superstar-type babysitting but without providing superstar-like production. How many motivational 'talks' does one player need to get going?

Like I stated in my earlier post - only those close to the team can confirm or deny that Kovalev has a negative impact on the team - but I'm really curious to see how the team would perform without Kovalev around. So, perhaps I should have stated that, rather than wanting Kovalev gone, I'm intrigued by the idea of a Kovalevless team.

Mue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Kovalev didn't give a damn either in 06-07, yet after a similar threatment in the summer of 07, Kovy came back with something to prove. I sense it might be the same this time around. If ever BG signs him again, he'll have to mark on his calendar a bi-annual meeting to put Kovy back on tracks.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
OR

he didn't cared to backcheck and to skate since AT LEAST 1 month and a half
There is no OR, the team as a whole has been playing like crap since January 20th.

Old
02-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
There is no OR, the team as a whole has been playing like crap since January 20th.
it only takes on grain of sand in a gear to make everything go wrong

In detroit, SJ and Boston, EVERY SINGLE player is bitting into the system and following it to the letter

Old
02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
habtastic

Quote:
How do you know he doesn't give a damn? Like he said, he doesn't know why it hasn't been working. Honestly, he hasn't even been that bad. Thing is when you combine bad penalties, bad giveaways with no scoring (for which the reasons are myriad and not necessarily his fault), he's the goat and "doesn't give a damn".

Dude, he gives a damn just as much as Saku, which obviously is saying a lot, he just has a different way of showing it. I think he's handled the whole thing really well and we're lucky to have someone like him who is happy to be a Hab.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
How do you know he doesn't give a damn? Like he said, he doesn't know why it hasn't been working. Honestly, he hasn't even been that bad. Thing is when you combine bad penalties, bad giveaways with no scoring (for which the reasons are myriad and not necessarily his fault), he's the goat and "doesn't give a damn".

Dude, he gives a damn just as much as Saku, which obviously is saying a lot, he just has a different way of showing it. I think he's handled the whole thing really well and we're lucky to have someone like him who is happy to be a Hab.
you forgot:

too lazy to backcheck
bring all the players on his line down (except lang)
sucks bad on the powerplay

Old
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
they are not hockey fans!

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Eband00

You all act like if you knew kovalev personally... This is ridiculous. THE WHOLE TEAM PLAYED LIKE CRAP during the last few weeks, and kovalev is the one that gets blamed for this, pretty sad isn't it? The habs fan base disgusts me in times like these, i rly feel ashamed to be associated with them...

But.. i still love my habs, i allways hope for the best, and i wish kovy comes back and plays better than ever, same thing for the rest of the team.

Eband00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:14 PM
dutchy29

The team had a real fresh look to it last night, I was never a Kovy hater but I have to say if they trade him I would be happy.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Belso

Good to hear!!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote