HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The official "We want you back Alex"

Old
02-19-2009, 03:53 AM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

vCash: 500
Trade him

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:10 AM
MisterTrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Dude, what do you want Gainey to do. If he cannot trade him, you want to let Kovalev rot at home like that?

Instead of wasting 4.5M$ like that, give him his 2 games rest and bring him back in the line-up. Kovalev is not stupid, he knows there arent much time left with Montreal anyway, he had two choice, keep sucking like he did, or give his best for the rest of the season for him or the fans. Dont tell me he dont care about winning. Or if you think all he think about his money, then, he will try his best to save his career and his next contract.

If there's a team willing to take a chance with dumbass Sean Avery, why can't Kovalev has a second chance with the city he cares the most for now. Gainey is the one who sign Kovalev, he knows that Kovalev is not like everyone else. Now, your most talented is having problem, what the GM should do is to find a solution instead of throwing the towel. Like I said, theres only 3 months on his contract. You do or die with him. This team without Kovalev will not go far in the playoff anyway, but if Kovalev is playing over his head, you will never know. Theres nothing to lose.

but moving him now would free cap space. Then make another move for impact talent.. I think bob can pull this out. we have lots of prospects and disposable talent. I think it's clear that Bob want to restructure this whole team identity might as well go and get some one to build around.

P.S. Do you really think this team with Kovalev can go far into playoffs ? too many youngsters, I don't buy it. I say get what we can and start rebuilding.

MisterTrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
What I know is this: I prefer the team without Kovy.
Agreed. I'd hate to see him back with an effort only to fall back to his old self after the deadline when we can't do anything about it.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Agreed. I'd hate to see him back with an effort only to fall back to his old self after the deadline when we can't do anything about it.
Yeah, that's what I'm scared of too. But I'm sure that if he indeed comes back, he'll be on a very short leash. I don't think either BG or GC want to **** around with the last two months of play. This is crunch time, and with the showing and reaction fo the players last night, it seems they either bought the message or are releaved of Kovy being gone. If ever its because of the latter, I don't think we'll see Kovy back in the Habs uniform.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Dude, what do you want Gainey to do. If he cannot trade him, you want to let Kovalev rot at home like that?

Instead of wasting 4.5M$ like that, give him his 2 games rest and bring him back in the line-up. Kovalev is not stupid, he knows there arent much time left with Montreal anyway, he had two choice, keep sucking like he did, or give his best for the rest of the season for him or the fans. Dont tell me he dont care about winning. Or if you think all he think about his money, then, he will try his best to save his career and his next contract.

If there's a team willing to take a chance with dumbass Sean Avery, why can't Kovalev has a second chance with the city he cares the most for now. Gainey is the one who sign Kovalev, he knows that Kovalev is not like everyone else. Now, your most talented is having problem, what the GM should do is to find a solution instead of throwing the towel. Like I said, theres only 3 months on his contract. You do or die with him. This team without Kovalev will not go far in the playoff anyway, but if Kovalev is playing over his head, you will never know. Theres nothing to lose.

I'm pretty sure Kovalev is tradeable. This whole assumption that he is not tradeable stems from the fact people think BG shopped him and didn't find a taker and that's why he sent him home as a last option. It's still just speculation, because people think that its the only logical explanation, when its actually one of many possibilities. Kovalev ihas really good stats in the playoffs and is still very close to his PPG average this season. To me, he still has a good value. And I'm sure BG will get a couple of phone calls.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:16 PM
MayorFord

The case for Kovalev

First of all, refer to this excellent post on the main board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty#35 View Post
This just seems like more typical Montreal-scapegoating bs to me. It seems like its always someone's turn to get run out of town. Kovalev is 36 years old. What did you expect out him? To lead the team? At that age he should be a support player, a luxury. Montreal's problems rest at the feet of management. But go ahead run him of town if it makes you guys feel better. He is only your leading scoring forward now that Lang is out. I am sure trading him for picks will help you make the playoffs.
This man speaks the truth. We are using our veterans as if they were in their 20's again. At this age Koivu and Kovy should NOT be the ones that carry this team in terms of production. We're ready to chase Kovalev out of town, even though he's our second best scorer, and at his age he would be an excellent support winger on any other team, except here where everybody expects him to put up 80 points again...

Another example of this is Schneider last night. He played the most minutes.. are you kidding me? i'm not saying he wasnt good, far from it, what i'm saying is that we bring in verterans that are supposed to be there for support, and they end up carrying the expectations of the whole city on their shoulders.
Thats not the way it should be in any non-dysfunctional team.

If theres someone to blame, blame the management for not drafting good, or our supposed young stars for not stepping up. Dont blame a guy who's producing reasonably well given his age and his average career production.

Another point I want to bring if the people that call Kovalev a floater. When you're on the ice it's impossible not to care, not to try. People who actually played a real game in their life know that it's a game of bounces, and sometimes even your best just isn't enough. I can guarenty that all those *******s media people that bash him for not "working" have never played a game in their life. You cant choose when to produce and when not to, thats not how it works, its all dependant on what's happening at a given time on the ice.

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:05 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Quote:
For those who are thankful for Gainey to put Kovalev out of the line up, Gainey has his part of responsabilities in this whole thing.

He was the one who acquired Kovalev knowing that he is not easy to coach and ****. He was the one to give Kovalev a new contract. He was the one to give Kovalev 4.5M$. He is the one that was expecting to see 36 yr old Kovalev and 35 yr old Koivu to bring the cup back to Montreal.

And if Kovalev is not a team player, why did Carbo gave him a damn ''A'' and ''C'' when the captain was out.

I dont know what happened, when you feel that your best player is not working the way you want him too, you speak to him, you find a solution like what he did in the summer of 07 and when both part are in the same track, everything will be fine. Now he chose to kick his assistant captain, or captain a month ago, out of the line up and tell me thats the best solution? **** off.

If Gainey is not satisfied about Kovalev, trade him, at least get something back. Now he puts him out of the line up and gets nothing back in return. Now, Kovalev value has dropped dramatically, no one in the nhl will want him and the guy is at his last year of his contract. Good way to mess up a player last contract.
Really, I think we did get something last night we have not seen in quite awhile, a solid team effort. Well worth sitting Alex

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:21 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post

This man speaks the truth. We are using our veterans as if they were in their 20's again. At this age Koivu and Kovy should NOT be the ones that carry this team in terms of production. We're ready to chase Kovalev out of town, even though he's our second best scorer, and at his age he would be an excellent support winger on any other team, except here where everybody expects him to put up 80 points again...

Another example of this is Schneider last night. He played the most minutes.. are you kidding me? i'm not saying he wasnt good, far from it, what i'm saying is that we bring in verterans that are supposed to be there for support, and they end up carrying the expectations of the whole city on their shoulders.

If theres someone to blame, blame the management for not drafting good, or our supposed young stars for not stepping up. Dont blame a guy who's producing reasonably well given his age and his average career production.

Another point I want to bring if the people that call Kovalev a floater. When you're on the ice it's impossible not to care, not to try. People who actually played a real game in their life know that it's a game of bounces, and sometimes even your best just isn't enough. I can guarenty that all those *******s media people that bash him for not "working" have never played a game in their life. You cant choose when to produce and when not to, thats not how it works, its all dependant on what's happening at a given time on the ice.

1. Is either of them returning some of that money then? No, then produce. They are both being paid very well to put up points and effort.

2. Are you new, this team has drafted very well, as witnessed last night, they can play.

3. Ok, He is not floating lately, wtf would you call it, the falling down instead of back checking, we have all seen him go through 5 guys, stay on his skates, pick his glove back up still controlling the puck etc.. when he feels like it he does it but only when he feels like it. He has been floating for the last month and you know it.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

I suppose that the FACT Kovalev did not care anymore to backcheck was all about bounces? right?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:07 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I suppose that the FACT Kovalev did not care anymore to backcheck was all about bounces? right?
yeah...

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:43 PM
MayorFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
i could throw accusations in the air aswell. easiest thing to do.

and btw, when you hear the media say that he's floating what they mean is that he's not scoring.

Old
02-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
i could throw accusations in the air aswell. easiest thing to do.

and btw, when you hear the media say that he's floating what they mean is that he's not scoring.
I personally don't give a rat's ass about what the media says. When I say he's floating it means that he's giving no or very little effort.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Agalloch

Floating for me is not giving the complete effort... and for sure, Kovalev didn't do it this year like last year.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Its simple actually. The Kovalev we want is the guy who put on a show at the ASG and won the MVP. We want that Kovalev. No matter if he doesn't score or gets points, as long as he gives it a full effort and remains concentrated on the task at hand and backchecks instead of lulling after a giveaway.

Old
02-19-2009, 05:11 PM
JudasPriced

I want the same Kovy that was on the #1 PK and #1 PP last year and early this year. He CAN be one of our best defensive forwards. Take it or leave it. He has proved it in the past.

JudasPriced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:21 PM
MayorFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKoivu11 View Post
I want the same Kovy that was on the #1 PK and #1 PP last year and early this year. He CAN be one of our best defensive forwards. Take it or leave it. He has proved it in the past.
thats what i dont get. do you actually think he sucks on purpose? you people have no clue if you think it's a decision he takes before every game.

Old
02-19-2009, 06:12 PM
JudasPriced

Maybe I wrote it down incorrectly, or maybe you misunderstood me. I also firmly believe it's a game of bounces. I think Kovy is simply human. He is my second favorite player on this team. I think he should ALWAYS be on our #1 PK with Koivu aswell as the PP obviously. Although I don't think he is top form right now he is still an impact on the ice even without the puck. I've grown so fond of playoff Kovalev I can't even imagine what it may be like without him.

JudasPriced is offline   Reply With Quote