HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev back with team on Friday

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
  #101
Erythro73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
you forgot:


too lazy to backcheck
bring all the players on his line down (except lang)
sucks bad on the powerplay
You're just blind or what? Many wingers on the habs don't backcheck very often. Guess you're just looking after Kovalev to spot his every mystake. Bring all the players on his line down? I think these players rely too much on Kovalev's talent to bring the puck in the offensive zone and forgets to move around to give him opportunities, insted of trying to deke through 2 defencemen.

But he's bad on the powerplay, I agree. Still, http://battleofalberta.blogspot.com/...-be-cruel.html .

Guess you're waiting too much of him right now. He can't be in the end zone and backup as much as his own defencemen. At 36, your speed is decreasing and you have a much bigger distance to cover.

Erythro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:16 PM
  #102
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Kovalev didn't gave a damn about the team since the beginning of the year, why would he start now that he have the opportunity to go play in a place he won't have to follow a system?
who are you to tell us that kovalev didn't give a **** about this team. Afaik, he also has lost something like 15 pounds to be on the beat shape for this season. He didn't expect that the magic between him, plek and akost would be gone. He didn't expect that the pp would be in the bottom of the league.

And why would he start to play better. Well because he has no choice. He knows all the eyes will be on him. He has his pride to save and simply the facts that he cares about winning. He loves this team, city and team. You probably don't believe that. At least I'm sure Gainey knows that.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
  #103
JAVO16
Registered User
 
JAVO16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
you forgot:


too lazy to backcheck
bring all the players on his line down (except lang)
sucks bad on the powerplay
This man is to Kovalev, what 100th/Zamboni is to Koivu.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
  #104
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erythro73 View Post
You're just blind or what? Many wingers on the habs don't backcheck very often. Guess you're just looking after Kovalev to spot his every mystake. Bring all the players on his line down? I think these players rely too much on Kovalev's talent to bring the puck in the offensive zone and forgets to move around to give him opportunities, insted of trying to deke through 2 defencemen.

But he's bad on the powerplay, I agree. Still, http://battleofalberta.blogspot.com/...-be-cruel.html .

Guess you're waiting too much of him right now. He can't be in the end zone and backup as much as his own defencemen. At 36, your speed is decreasing and you have a much bigger distance to cover.
did you really said that Kovalev wingers are trying to deke defenseman?

they need the puck first to do that

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
  #105
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
And those observations are exactly why Gainey took those unique measures with him. I don't believe in taking a player off the team for those reasons, especially someone with Kovalev's talent. I believe in Gainey's approach, sit down, talk to him, whatever, let him know clearly how you feel about his play and try to change things up. Don't just throw him out, it makes no sense and doesn't help the team at all.
I would guess, it is only a guess that before they sent him home for a couple of games, someone must have spoken with him.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:22 PM
  #106
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
and FYI what will it show of Kovalev if he comes back and lights it up?
People will say "ohhh hes back!!" or "told yah hes amazing" or "what character!"

How about he needs a national crisis to get him going on the 100th year of the Canadiens? How about he had a part in the canadiens having sucha terrible season because he didnt put in the effort or desire. If he comes back and plays well, it will actually show how weak minded and selfish he really is.
Give me a freakin break!!

Someone please go back into the 1960s stats and see how even Jean Beliveau and Henri Richard had some very good years and some really disappointing years.

Should they have been taken out and shot at noon in the town square when they stank the joint out?

Here is the Kovalev story for 08-09 in REader's DIgest version. He was playing pretty well most of the year, hindered a bit by Plekanec's inability to do much of anything, and missing s few PP points due to our not having replaced Streit properly. Kovy was also somewhat snakebit, hit a few goalposts and so forth. But he was at about 0.80 ppg which is not that shabby for a guy who is not paid as a top elite player but as a secondary star.

HOWEVER, only in the LAST TWO WEEKS, his effort level on the ice dropped off. Whether it was because he was tired, or he was discouraged, or he was bothered by something, it became evident. He was no longer killing penalties well, he was missing clearouts when called upon, he slowed down his backchecking, and guess what? GAINEY CALLED HIM OUT ON IT.

A couple of weeks of poor play and a few months of average play (based on Kovalev's historical average) is no reason to overreact. If Kovy reacted positively to the public kick in the pants, then he has my respect for not pouting, whining and blaming others. Gainey did what he should do: give him another chance to play and hopefully he will play better and not forget some of the little things that everyone must do, whether they are scoring or not.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:25 PM
  #107
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,651
vCash: 500
I think Gainey is smart.
The team is in a slump, Kovy is in a slump and Kovy is really looking like he has lost 2 steps. If Kovy has lost 2 steps then why keep him going into the playoffs.
It's time to find out exactly what Kovy has left in the tank before the trade deadline.

Tell him to go home for a week. Rest. and when you come back it's foot to the floor and lets see what you got left.
If you can't put your foot to the floor anymore then your gone.
If you don't want to put your foot to the floor your gone.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:27 PM
  #108
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Give me a freakin break!!

Someone please go back into the 1960s stats and see how even Jean Beliveau and Henri Richard had some very good years and some really disappointing years.

Should they have been taken out and shot at noon in the town square when they stank the joint out?

Here is the Kovalev story for 08-09 in REader's DIgest version. He was playing pretty well most of the year, hindered a bit by Plekanec's inability to do much of anything, and missing s few PP points due to our not having replaced Streit properly. Kovy was also somewhat snakebit, hit a few goalposts and so forth. But he was at about 0.80 ppg which is not that shabby for a guy who is not paid as a top elite player but as a secondary star.

HOWEVER, only in the LAST TWO WEEKS, his effort level on the ice dropped off. Whether it was because he was tired, or he was discouraged, or he was bothered by something, it became evident. He was no longer killing penalties well, he was missing clearouts when called upon, he slowed down his backchecking, and guess what? GAINEY CALLED HIM OUT ON IT.

A couple of weeks of poor play and a few months of average play (based on Kovalev's historical average) is no reason to overreact. If Kovy reacted positively to the public kick in the pants, then he has my respect for not pouting, whining and blaming others. Gainey did what he should do: give him another chance to play and hopefully he will play better and not forget some of the little things that everyone must do, whether they are scoring or not.
ok, lets make a list of what it took (so far) to motivate Kovalev this year

-give him all the PP time he wanted despite he sucked on it
-played him with Lang who was obviously the best center of the team
-Played him with Pacioretty who arguably our top prospect and hope for the future
-gave him some defensive duties with PK
-Called him out in the media for his poor play
-benching him during periods multiple times because of poor play
-gave him back time on the PP to redeem himself
-Gave him the C while Koivu was hurt instead of going with 3 A
-The fans gave him the ASG


And then people tell me I am too impatient and that we still have things to do to keep him here?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:29 PM
  #109
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
something I hate to read is that he don't care, he don't give a ****, he is lazy, he is the cause of all problem, he is the only reason the pp sucks, he is the reason why is linemates sucks, he is the reason Plekanec is a perimeter player.

There are over 20 players on this team but now it's all kovalev fault since he is the one out of the lineup now.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:30 PM
  #110
Erythro73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
did you really said that Kovalev wingers are trying to deke defenseman?

they need the puck first to do that
Poorly formulated sentence. I was trying to say that Kovalev tryes to deke through two defencemen instead of passing it to his linemates because well... They rely too much on Kovalev's talent and they don't try to lose their markers. (How do we say correctly "se démarquer" in english?).

Erythro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:33 PM
  #111
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
letting a 36 year old "star" go home for 2 games because youre not happy with the way hes playing, in my opinion is alot.

Its just such a soap opera.

IF Gainey just wanted to sit him out to get perspective and rest, then he should have just made up an injury, that or just have hit sit in the press box. What was the point of all the calling out?

The hoopla did nothing but make the habs look disorganized and flakey.

Ohh ok, Kovy says hes good to go now, so hes back. There is no REAL accountability, only mini vacations.

Maybe ive lost perspective because i really didnt want him back, but its my 2 cents.
They didn't "let" him go home, they asked him to go home.

The point of calling him out, it seems to me, was to get him re-focused and more importantly to send a message to the team. If you're going to tell your best player that his effort isn't good enough and he needs to refocus himself and be ready to contribute, what does that say to your 5th best player or your tenth best player?

Seems to me the team responded pretty well last night. I don't think Bob Gainey gives a damn if people like you on a message board think the organization looks "disorganized and flakey." He just cares about winning.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:37 PM
  #112
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,004
vCash: 500
Me, I'm reading that Kovalev has had a long talk with Gainey.

I'm sure you all remember the previous long talk with Gainey he had. It's rather famous.

Here's hoping for similar results.

Bet having Schneider to shoot from the point will help.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:38 PM
  #113
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
ok, lets make a list of what it took (so far) to motivate Kovalev this year

-give him all the PP time he wanted despite he sucked on it
Outside of Andrei Markov, you could say the same thing for every other player that's been on the Canadiens powerplay .... why just heap scorn on Kovalev?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
played him with Lang who was obviously the best center of the team
He played previously with Lang, and excelled, and he's the best winger on the team. Why wouldn't you play your best winger with your best center? I'm not sure I see your point here.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:43 PM
  #114
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Outside of Andrei Markov, you could say the same thing for every other player that's been on the Canadiens powerplay .... why just heap scorn on Kovalev?
Markov's points on the PP >>>>>> Kovalv points on the PP this year BTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
He played previously with Lang, and excelled, and he's the best winger on the team. Why wouldn't you play your best winger with your best center? I'm not sure I see your point here.
he was far from our best winger effort-wise this year

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:46 PM
  #115
Pat
Registered User
 
Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
if he comes back with good intentions, gives a constant effort and really has the team at heart...no problem he's welcome.

but if he comes back as the same Kovalazy he is this year, then to me he's just a worthless piece of **** who only plays for himself.

I guess we'll find out soon enough

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:48 PM
  #116
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Markov's points on the PP >>>>>> Kovalv points on the PP this year BTW



he was far from our best winger effort-wise this year
So you want to assemble the lines based on "effort?" Is that your plan?

Who's the best winger "effort-wise" this year?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:48 PM
  #117
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
So you want to assemble the lines based on "effort?" Is that your plan?

Who's the best winger "effort-wise" this year?
Kostopoulos

and guess what, he was on the top line this week

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
  #118
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
I love how they are now promoting "Kovalev back tomorrow" scoop after yesterday saying it was certain he'd never play for Montreal again.

Did I miss the retraction? lol

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:55 PM
  #119
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I love how they are now promoting "Kovalev back tomorrow" scoop after yesterday saying it was certain he'd never play for Montreal again.

Did I miss the retraction? lol
I'm just enjoying the show lol.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:59 PM
  #120
Nobak
Registered User
 
Nobak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
Much ado about nothing...

Kovy is a special kind of player, and Gainey thought he needed a special kind of wake-up call.

From Saturday on, it will be time to see if it worked.

After that, whatever happens, work from there.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:02 PM
  #121
Stubbs88
Registered User
 
Stubbs88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
letting a 36 year old "star" go home for 2 games because youre not happy with the way hes playing, in my opinion is alot.

Its just such a soap opera.

IF Gainey just wanted to sit him out to get perspective and rest, then he should have just made up an injury, that or just have hit sit in the press box. What was the point of all the calling out?

The hoopla did nothing but make the habs look disorganized and flakey.

Ohh ok, Kovy says hes good to go now, so hes back. There is no REAL accountability, only mini vacations.

Maybe ive lost perspective because i really didnt want him back, but its my 2 cents.
the point of calling him out was to give him a kick in the butt, having him sit in the press box, or making up an injury wouldnt have done anything.

now the rest of the league, and everyone else, know that kovalev was left home because of his brutal play, it gives him something to come back and play for.

it seems like Kovy wants to play for montreal, hopefully these 2 games off put everything in perspective

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:12 PM
  #122
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 2009
i hope to see AK27 version 2008 return

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
  #123
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Kostopoulos

and guess what, he was on the top line this week
Which confirms that our coach is an imbecile.

Kostopoulos is a great third liner and can effectively be part of a very good shut down line but no, the genius that is Carbo HAS to roll four lines. He is going to re-invent the wheel and play four lines he picks out of a hat and win with hard work.

There is no game plan clearly explained to players, no assignments clearly laid out for role players and no extra time for your most talented forwards. Nope, they all get equal time and they go out in order as line 1, 2, 3, 4 regardless of whether you have the last change to match lines up or not. Yeah that's why we're doing so great lately, all our players forgot how to play and the coach is brilliant.

One unbelievably great move was Kosto and Stewart in the last couple minutes of OT. No sense in trying to win it in OT because the other team doesn't have any good shooters so we'll just go to the shootout. Then we'll send out the shooters based on a hunch and not on whi is the best shooter.

But I digress, Kovy is the reason for ALL our problems.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:24 PM
  #124
Erngueva
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Well it didn't seem to make it way on this board but they said on RDS that PJ Stock was reporting a possible trade with Pittsburgh involving Letang and Kovalev.

The saga continue.

Erngueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:29 PM
  #125
12jf54
Registered User
 
12jf54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva View Post
Well it didn't seem to make it way on this board but they said on RDS that PJ Stock was reporting a possible trade with Pittsburgh involving Letang and Kovalev.

The saga continue.

Here we go again..

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.