HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

General skating tips for beginners?

Old
02-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Dr Turk

vCash: 500
General skating tips for beginners?

I know the topic of hockey stops has been brought up a lot recently, but I was wondering if you guys had anymore general skating tips for those of us new to hockey and ice skating. For example, crossovers, skating backwards and tight turns. Also do you guys have any advice on the transition from forward skating to backward skating? I always seem to lose a lot of speed

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:20 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
this is a great series from the CBC in the 70's
http://archives.cbc.ca/programs/1564/
there are 22 vids to watch.

the biggest rule you need to know for hockey skating is knees over your toes and shoulders over your knees, Elbows up high, head up.
when you take a stride leave your knees bent extend with the pushing leg then when you bring your legs back place them back under you in stance. you kind of want to feel like you are on your toes all the time while you are getting started.

Last edited by adaminnj: 02-19-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: forgot to post the link
adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
TheOtter

While it's not for everyone (some complain that it's too detail-oriented), if you're into reading precise descriptions of things, the Laura Stamm "Power Skating" book is excellent at explaining how to really execute skating maneuvers. She goes into the detail of weight transfer throughout the stride (ie., start pushing through your heel, then mid-blade, then toes at the end of the stride). Lots of great drills, too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0736037357

Like I said, it's not for everyone, but if you're the kind of person who can digest this sort of thing from a book (I am), it's a must-have.

TheOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Tinkeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
I know the topic of hockey stops has been brought up a lot recently, but I was wondering if you guys had anymore general skating tips for those of us new to hockey and ice skating. For example, crossovers, skating backwards and tight turns. Also do you guys have any advice on the transition from forward skating to backward skating? I always seem to lose a lot of speed
This isn't advice on technique, but it's still important for beginners.

Whenever you can, skate in full gear so it won't hurt when you fall, because finding your limits by falling a lot is the best way to gain confidence in your edges.

Losing an edge once or twice right at the beginning of a session helps a skater overcome lots of inhibitions. Remember, getting outside of the comfort zone leads to growth.

Tinkeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 01:41 AM
nullterm

As someone going through it myself: keep your knees bent. You'll have a longer & more powerful stride which means speed. And your balance and mobility will greatly benefit.

Don't worry about falling, just get back up quick.

Make sure you got the right skate hollow. I had a 3/8 cut and felt like I was a hair away from stumbling anytime I tried to stop or transition. Now I use a 3/4 and it feels like butter. I'm 6' 180lbs.

Try a 1/2 or 5/8. The smaller the radius, the deeper the hollow, the more your skates will grab the ice. I found with a larger radius, shallower hollow, my skates were more forgiving.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:05 AM
73blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
Are you in the NHA beginenr class in St.Louis? I am and I am and parts of this class are very frustrating. I can't stop w/my left foot to save my life.

73blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:20 AM
LarryO

I second the suggestion of getting Laura Stamm's "Power Skating" book. As for the transition from forward to backward, the book explains every element in detail, and it would be hard to give you tips without knowing what you already know about the technique. Assuming you know exactly what to do with your feet, I would say to turn your body before your feet because some beginners mistakingly do the opposite. You have to commit to the transition with your body and let your feet follow.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Areid1990

vCash: 50
I just started to really skate and play hockey this year and I am doing fairly well now I can hockey stop and stuff only thing I can't really do yet is skate backwards.

For me it was confidence really I was so nervous to leave my comfort zone cause I didn't want to fall and if you dont leave that comfort zone you will learn much slower.

Don't be afraid to do new stuff leave the comfort zone.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:40 AM
titaniumexpose

Links to a few videos I thought were pretty useful:

Skating backwards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TeQtLZsrY

Starts & Stops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=act-hKKZ0ow

Turning & Crossovers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZnfk...eature=channel

titaniumexpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:04 PM
backhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
As someone going through it myself: keep your knees bent. You'll have a longer & more powerful stride which means speed. And your balance and mobility will greatly benefit.

Don't worry about falling, just get back up quick.

Make sure you got the right skate hollow. I had a 3/8 cut and felt like I was a hair away from stumbling anytime I tried to stop or transition. Now I use a 3/4 and it feels like butter. I'm 6' 180lbs.

Try a 1/2 or 5/8. The smaller the radius, the deeper the hollow, the more your skates will grab the ice. I found with a larger radius, shallower hollow, my skates were more forgiving.
good call on the hollow...i go 3/4...1/2 feels like my ankles are going to break off...as for transition...looking in the direction you want to go when transition and turn...this will eliminate tracking

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Dr Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73blues View Post
Are you in the NHA beginenr class in St.Louis? I am and I am and parts of this class are very frustrating. I can't stop w/my left foot to save my life.
nah, Im at the one at meramac

Oh and thanks alot for the advice guys,keep it coming. All of it has been extremely useful, especially the videos you posted. And I think I am gonna pick up that power skating book. I also have switched to a 5/8 hollow and am finding stopping and skating all around much easier, I think in a couple weeks I might try 3/4.

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:57 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

The truth is, it's going to take a long time. The only short cut is hard work and studying the right techniques for things.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:21 PM
noobman

When I go to the rinks, I see very few skates that exercise a proper knee bend. You'll be amazed to see how much easier everything becomes when you bend your knees properly.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote