HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Former Ranger Prospect Jonathan Paiement Among Seriously Injured in AHL Bus Crash

Old
02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Former Ranger Prospect Jonathan Paiement Among Seriously Injured in AHL Bus Crash

Hopefully he is ok and can continue to play....but someone has a fractured neck in the accident.

Quote:
Teammates Nicolas Blanchard, Joe Jensen, Casey Borer, Jonathan Paiement, and radio commentator John Hennessy, remained behind at the Berkshire Medical Center for treatment, according to Rats President S. Garen Szablewski."

"11 a.m. UPDATE — "The injuries vary," Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said. "There are cuts, bruises, shoulders, concussions, a fractured neck."
-http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...storyID=771676

Nicolas Blanchard needed 60 stiches to close up an abdomen injury...this could have been much worse.

http://tsn.ca/ahl/story/?id=267762&l...=topStory_main -Video and photo of the bus.

Rangers drafted him in the 8th round in the 2004 draft, but never signed him and he became a UFA.

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 02-19-2009 at 01:32 PM.
FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Scary stuff. I hope that everyone is okay and returns to action in the near future.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Awful, hope all recover mentally and physically.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:05 PM
squishy

Former Ranger prospects Dwight Helminen and Jakub Petruzalek were also on the bus, but are not amongst the 5 who remain hospitalized.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:05 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Scary, I hope everyone makes it out okay.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Fractured neck? Man, i hope everyone recovers.

I also heard that all of the team's equipment was permanently damaged and un-salvageable.... not that it is overly important, but their equipment manager has a heck of a job in front of him.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Section311

I hope everyone is ok.....and a full recovery

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:19 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Fractured neck? Man, i hope everyone recovers.

I also heard that all of the team's equipment was permanently damaged and un-salvageable.... not that it is overly important, but their equipment manager has a heck of a job in front of him.

What does that mean?

Old
02-19-2009, 11:35 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
What does that mean?
Heard it on NHL radio.

Just that the equipment was damaged in the crash, and it is all unusable now.

So their equipment manager needs to accumulate new equipment for all the players.

That's what they said on the radio in the morning.

Equipment managers have one of the toughest jobs in hockey.

Not that it is important, what is important is everyone will be OK.

But, i found it interesting, that their equipment manager has to somehow get new equipment for the guys.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:16 AM
FLYLine24*

Haha ok, I read that fast and thought u said the Equipment manager was permanently damaged and un-salvageable...makes more sense now....

Old
02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
FLYLine24*

Reports are Jonathan is the most seriously injured, so it wouldnt suprise me if he has the broken neck

Old
02-20-2009, 04:24 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Best of luck, kid!

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:24 PM
squishy

A couple good stories on the crash:

On the crash itself and what happened after:
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...storyID=771676

Defenseman Joe Jensen, who remains hospitalizes, gives his account of events. He said Paiement suffered "a bad blow to the head" and possibly other injuries:
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...storyID=772179

Old
02-21-2009, 08:47 AM
squishy

Details on the specifics of the injuries suffered by the four players who remained hospitalized:

Quote:
* JONATHAN PAIEMENT. "Jon Paiement is doing well. He just kind of got banged up. He took a lot of impact around the face area with some stitches and that, and that's something that will come out in the next seven to 10 days.
http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...-day-2-update/

Quote from Dwight Helminen about the crash:
Quote:
"I just got a little cut on the foot. It took a few stitches. I don't know how many they put in, but it wasn't too deep. It's just a matter of making sure it heals and not getting an infection in there.

"I was sitting up and kind of dozing off, but I was sitting up in my seat when it started happening. It started to fishtail and that's when I woke up. It just started going through my head, 'Hold on to something, grab something,' because I realized that we were out of control. I was on the left side, the side that went down.

"I'm thinking, 'Just hold on and, hopefully, I'm still here when this is all over,' when the bus finally stops. That what was going through my head. I hope I'm still in one piece when it stops.

"You're looking and trying to assess what's going on. The first thing I noticed, I had my shoes on and my left shoe was off and my foot was bleeding. At the time, it looked a lot worse than it ended up being.

"It was pretty much silent for a second and then I remember I think Mark Flood saying, 'Is everybody all right?' Guys were asking if anybody was under the bus, stuff like that."
More quotes from other players: http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...day-2-players/

Old
02-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Smashley

Guys thankfully none of the injuries are as serious as you are making them out to be, the times union and all the local channels have been talking about this story non stop. I know blanchard is set to be released within a day or two due to cuts and getting a possible MRI. And Borer has broken vertebra and sits for the remainder of the season. None of their careers are in jeopardy, everyone is pretty much fine with the exception of these two guys that will take a little time to heal. Rats next game is wednesday due to postponing of this weekends games.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Wow. Best of luck

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:43 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Guys thankfully none of the injuries are as serious as you are making them out to be, the times union and all the local channels have been talking about this story non stop. I know blanchard is set to be released within a day or two due to cuts and getting a possible MRI. And Borer has broken vertebra and sits for the remainder of the season. None of their careers are in jeopardy, everyone is pretty much fine with the exception of these two guys that will take a little time to heal. Rats next game is wednesday due to postponing of this weekends games.
Blame Canes GM Jim Rutherford for that one.