HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#56 -- Sabres at Flyers -- February 19, 2009 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2009, 09:46 AM
  #551
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I'm on your side on this one, but Biron definitely was to blame on that one. Players are going to get stuff chances from the side when they are a man up. Biron's gotta gather that one
It wasn't the strongest goal to allow in the world, but I brought this up in the game thread, when's the last time a d-man not named Vaananen actually cleared a rebound?

I didn't like Smith and Hatch too much, but you have to admit Marty had an extremely strong year last year and some of that is because guys weren't getting multiple 2nd and 3rd chance opportunities because Hatch and Smith knew how to clear a rebound.

Marty bailed out that team more than once last night (trust most of the cretins on here not to acknowledge any of his big saves), I don't see why Kimmo or Coburn couldn't have cleared that thing or at least made sure that Roy didn't get the open whack at it.

Like I said, if you take out the first 3 games when the entire team played like ass, he's at a borderline elite save percentage once again.

Admittedly he's been more inconsistent than I'd like, but the guy has done well, keep in mind that this team still has severe problems with defense.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:50 AM
  #552
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores
 
Ryanoceros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
the WHOLE team sucked in the second. The first goal he should have had, but no sabre player should have that open of a shot.
second goal, Defense has the clear the porch.
3rd goal was a nice shot that was a result of a horrible failed clear by (gasp) Richards
You mean that nice shot on a poke at the puck in the crease?

Also, seeing as Richards was sitting by his lonesome in the penalty box on the 3rd goal, it would be pretty tough for him to fail a clear. Unless of course, he has become omnipresent (it did kind of seem like he was everywhere on the ice last night...)

Ryanoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:52 AM
  #553
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores
 
Ryanoceros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Please tell me my ears were broken...
I wish I could, but you heard right...

Ryanoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:23 AM
  #554
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
It wasn't the strongest goal to allow in the world, but I brought this up in the game thread, when's the last time a d-man not named Vaananen actually cleared a rebound?

I didn't like Smith and Hatch too much, but you have to admit Marty had an extremely strong year last year and some of that is because guys weren't getting multiple 2nd and 3rd chance opportunities because Hatch and Smith knew how to clear a rebound.

Marty bailed out that team more than once last night (trust most of the cretins on here not to acknowledge any of his big saves), I don't see why Kimmo or Coburn couldn't have cleared that thing or at least made sure that Roy didn't get the open whack at it.

Like I said, if you take out the first 3 games when the entire team played like ass, he's at a borderline elite save percentage once again.

Admittedly he's been more inconsistent than I'd like, but the guy has done well, keep in mind that this team still has severe problems with defense.
Being honest, all we keep saying is our defense sucks... Homer goes out and re-do's the whole defense... and people still say they suck. What do you suggest we do? Go out and get J-Bo? Ok say we go and do that... and Biron still lets in those goals, (I said he had a pretty well game last night), do we go out again and get new defensemen again? People complain about defense and yet the only thing we do is change our defense around...

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:46 AM
  #555
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Being honest, all we keep saying is our defense sucks... Homer goes out and re-do's the whole defense... and people still say they suck. What do you suggest we do? Go out and get J-Bo? Ok say we go and do that... and Biron still lets in those goals, (I said he had a pretty well game last night), do we go out again and get new defensemen again? People complain about defense and yet the only thing we do is change our defense around...
I'm talking about team defense.

I like our defense.

Kimmo - awesome
Carle - solid
Coburn - struggling, but still a top-4.
Parent - solid
Ossi - very solid.

The problem is that we don't play team defense, we don't play as a unit.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:03 AM
  #556
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
All BS aside, that was one helluva game to watch. Very entertaining. Richards...5 points? Really?

And gagne had a helluva game 2.

Maybe my ears were broken, but I thought I heard morganti say a rumor of Gagne for Koivu and Kovalev.

Please tell me my ears were broken...
What??? This can't even be a remote possibility!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:07 AM
  #557
EasyMac
Registered User
 
EasyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Good game, nice to see Richards explode. I liked his post game comments on the tsn website, specifically about Knuble:

Quote:
"It's always nice to have that chemistry," Richards said about his line that contributed eight points for the night. "I pretty much know where Gagne is going to be, and I think everyone in the building knows where Knuble is going to be."

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:45 AM
  #558
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,901
vCash: 500
"The thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day." -- Mike Schmidt

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:22 PM
  #559
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
Good game, nice to see Richards explode. I liked his post game comments on the tsn website, specifically about Knuble:
that may be the best richards quote ever

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:25 PM
  #560
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
You mean that nice shot on a poke at the puck in the crease?

Also, seeing as Richards was sitting by his lonesome in the penalty box on the 3rd goal, it would be pretty tough for him to fail a clear. Unless of course, he has become omnipresent (it did kind of seem like he was everywhere on the ice last night...)
Ok, then it was the second goal that richards blew a clear.
Whatever.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:29 PM
  #561
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Ok, then it was the second goal that richards blew a clear.
Whatever.
What happened was Richards tried to pass to Gagne instead of clearing it off the boards. Gagne missed it and it stayed in. But seconds later they did clear it and got off the ice. It was Alberts who missed the clear that led directly to the goal.

Richards wasn't on the ice for a single goal against last night.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:35 PM
  #562
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,692
vCash: 50
Rumors of Martin Biron's demise have been greatly exaggerated.


The Flyers scoring goals in a number of crucial spots. Coburn's goal after the Sabres turned the puck over a number of times in their zone, Richards scoring shorthanded, and the later power play goal by Knuble.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:41 PM
  #563
Death of a Martian
Registered User
 
Death of a Martian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Rumors of Martin Biron's demise have been greatly exaggerated.
Yeah but, you know just as well as I do, a flyers goalie is only as good as his last outing...

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:43 PM
  #564
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,692
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Oh, man, that pass by Giroux was amazing!! Let's trade him to Toronto for Kaberle, LOL!!
The Flyers still could have come up with a goal here, not because they didn't score there, but Miller never had the puck covered. The ref was not in position to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of a Martian View Post
Yeah but, you know just as well as I do, a flyers goalie is only as good as his last outing...
His last 3 have been good. Biron has a chance to solidify that with a showing vs. Pittsburgh tomorrow.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:47 PM
  #565
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I'm on your side on this one, but Biron definitely was to blame on that one. Players are going to get stuff chances from the side when they are a man up. Biron's gotta gather that one
When you get a jam shot right on top of the goalie, and then have another guy crashing in...that's a tough save. Controlling rebounds isn't something that randomly happens, you need to reaction time to get it done...getting on a goalie for not controlling the rebound on a shot from the paint is a bit much. Getting on him for not pouncing on a puck when he has another player right on top of him is even harsher.

That was essentially Biron v. 2 Sabres. He stopped the first, didn't stop the 2nd.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 01:30 PM
  #566
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 33,850
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Faa View Post
You were obviously not at the game.......
obviously if Niittymaki was in goal it would have been a shutout right?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:07 PM
  #567
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores
 
Ryanoceros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Ok, then it was the second goal that richards blew a clear.
Whatever.
Haha. Just bustin' your chops. All in good fun.

Ryanoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:43 PM
  #568
Jules801
Just Some Broad
 
Jules801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Good Ol' Glassboro
Country: Israel
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
that may be the best richards quote ever
I love, "I think everyone in the building knows where Knuble will be".

LOL

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.