HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Website Design

Old
02-20-2009, 12:37 PM
JSTAFF

vCash: 500
Website Design

To all computer savvy people:

I decided to take on a task at work that I thought I was capable of but aparently I have no idea what im doing. I know how to do intermediate level html code but I seem to be a little mixed up if anyone could help. I'm updating my companies website now on a daily basis and the company that makes the website gave me FTP full access. My problem is......I cant edit the files in the FTP. All of the files are labeled .asp, which I guess im not familiar with? Anyone have any idea what im talking about / how I can edit these files to update the page?

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:40 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
To all computer savvy people:

I decided to take on a task at work that I thought I was capable of but aparently I have no idea what im doing. I know how to do intermediate level html code but I seem to be a little mixed up if anyone could help. I'm updating my companies website now on a daily basis and the company that makes the website gave me FTP full access. My problem is......I cant edit the files in the FTP. All of the files are labeled .asp, which I guess im not familiar with? Anyone have any idea what im talking about / how I can edit these files to update the page?
take the files off the ftp and open them with notepad. very simplistic and outdated, but should work.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:44 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
take the files off the ftp and open them with notepad. very simplistic and outdated, but should work.
Is there a "dated" way to do it? And how do i upload it to the servers after the changes are made? It says its using VBscript, a script im not familiar with.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:44 PM
chaosof99*

.asp stands Active Server Page. ASP is a script language which requests data from the server and builds new pages representing and/or defined by that data. You need .net programming skills, usually in the C++ or C# programming language, to really edit them as they are usually either HTML code with embedded scripts or such programs generating HTML code.

Personally I'm more a fan of the rival Java based JSP technology.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:46 PM
BringBackStevens

asp = active server pages.

ASP uses html to write data to the page, but the web server itself executes the asp scripts in the asp files. You can open them locally on your desktop by using notepad.

I don't want to confuse you more, but you might open the files and not find the data you want to enter. Typically professional websites coded in asp pull their data from some other backend, such as a database

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:47 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Is there a "dated" way to do it? And how do i upload it to the servers after the changes are made? It says its using VBscript, a script im not familiar with.
Not sure if the server has the capabilities but alternatively you could set up a SVN server yourself which is basically a Wiki for programming files where all previous versions are stored and can be rolled back to if necessary.

Old
02-20-2009, 01:14 PM
JSTAFF

It wont let me open them in notepad...it just automatically goes to a new tab on my IE where editing is not allowed.

Old
02-20-2009, 01:21 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
It wont let me open them in notepad...it just automatically goes to a new tab on my IE where editing is not allowed.
I'm assuming you use Windows, did you right-click the file, go to "Open With" and selected Notepad (or probably better: Wordpad)?

Old
02-20-2009, 01:31 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr
I think you might be in over your head. At the very least make sure you backup copies of the original files

Old
02-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Hubey1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I'm assuming you use Windows, did you right-click the file, go to "Open With" and selected Notepad (or probably better: Wordpad)?
yeah do this and you should get all the asp code. if you do view>>page source you wont get any of the asp source code which is why you cant edit it. you know html but depending on how its set up you might need to know a scripting language like JavaScript or VBscript

Hubey1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 01:43 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Lol I know this makes me sound like I dont know what i'm talking about. That is not an option. It only lets me goto Open. Open with is faded out.

Old
02-20-2009, 01:45 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubey1327 View Post
yeah do this and you should get all the asp code. if you do view>>page source you wont get any of the asp source code which is why you cant edit it. you know html but depending on how its set up you might need to know a scripting language like JavaScript or VBscript
The code is in VBscript but it is fairly simple code. I'm only adding a few locations and some names, its really basic stuff. Is it possible that the network admin did not give me full access even though he claims to have?

Old
02-20-2009, 01:47 PM
BringBackStevens

Did you copy the files from FTP directly to your hard disk first. Sounds like you are trying to just open it from the FTP server. Copy it to your hard disk, then you should be able to open it

Old
02-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Hubey1327

Quote:
The code is in VBscript but it is fairly simple code. I'm only adding a few locations and some names, its really basic stuff. Is it possible that the network admin did not give me full access even though he claims to have?
yeah thats possible im not sure how the system is setup but maybe your computer doesnt have IIS and .net framework? I mean i think every computer basically comes with it but i would check with your network admin

Old
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Did you copy the files from FTP directly to your hard disk first. Sounds like you are trying to just open it from the FTP server. Copy it to your hard disk, then you should be able to open it
now that seems like a very good solution. No, i did not, good call. Maybe i am in over my head.

Old
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
How the hell do you guys know how to do this?!? LOL.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Hubey1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
or that. completely overlooked that.

Old
02-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Hubey1327

yeah your in over your head hahah if that was your issue. let us know if that solves it. and i love how you come to the hf boards for computer help lol

Old
02-20-2009, 02:00 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubey1327 View Post
yeah your in over your head hahah if that was your issue. let us know if that solves it. and i love how you come to the hf boards for computer help lol
ah well its too late now. I have to rise above it and be the man. I completely set you up for a short joke there too and you missed it. Thanks for everyones help and ill keep you update on my suckness

Old
02-20-2009, 02:11 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
How the hell do you guys know how to do this?!? LOL.
For me personally:
In Austria the school system is set up that you only have 8 years of mandatory school. After that you can choose to go to a company which can take you in and you learn a job, or you can go to an advancing school for another 3 to 5 years, similar to the high schools in america. The difference is that there are different schools depending on what you think you want to do as a profession later on.

I went to a HTL, which is like high school except focused on tech. I was in the Informatics schedule where they teach you about programming, telecommunications, networking etc. Even workshops wiring home electrics, soldering or even Turning.

I'm also currently a University student in Informatics and last spring through summer I was in a practical apprenticeship (which is mandatory) where I was working on a similar project as the OP is currently involved in.

Old
02-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Quote:
For me personally:
In Austria the school system is set up that you only have 8 years of mandatory school. After that you can choose to go to a company which can take you in and you learn a job, or you can go to an advancing school for another 3 to 5 years, similar to the high schools in america. The difference is that there are different schools depending on what you think you want to do as a profession later on.

I went to a HTL, which is like high school except focused on tech. I was in the Informatics schedule where they teach you about programming, telecommunications, networking etc. Even workshops wiring home electrics, soldering or even Turning.

I'm also currently a University student in Informatics and last spring through summer I was in a practical apprenticeship (which is mandatory) where I was working on a similar project as the OP is currently involved in.
Yeah, we had a separate building just for our tech areas in high school, kind of like what you're talking about.

I just thought you guys had a lot of free time or something haha. JK!

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:56 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
ah well its too late now. I have to rise above it and be the man.
Goddamned right! I admire a man who will whip out his pecker, slap it on the tabletop, look around the room and ask: "Whaddya think about that?"

ASP is cool, about 5-10 years in the past, but cool. You'll love it if you get into it.

You should tell us what you need to do. Changing a bit of content from time to time, like names and dates and phone numbers and blurbs and stuff is one thing... If you think you'll be managing code that hits database -- well that's like stepping up from shinnies at the Skatium to Quebec Major Junior.

BY ALL MEANS as was said earlier - make backups, now and always. Always always always always always always always always always always always always.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:33 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Goddamned right! I admire a man who will whip out his pecker, slap it on the tabletop, look around the room and ask: "Whaddya think about that?"

ASP is cool, about 5-10 years in the past, but cool. You'll love it if you get into it.

You should tell us what you need to do. Changing a bit of content from time to time, like names and dates and phone numbers and blurbs and stuff is one thing... If you think you'll be managing code that hits database -- well that's like stepping up from shinnies at the Skatium to Quebec Major Junior.

BY ALL MEANS as was said earlier - make backups, now and always. Always always always always always always always always always always always always.

my bad I missed your post. I need to update a client list, which is just adding text. Then I need to update the "contact us" page with pictures of employees and their title. (i.e. President/Director of Estimating) That is the most crucial updates, but later they want me to add more pictures of our work. I haven't even tried to do it yet, previous posters made me nervous haha.