HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Gomez, Drury, and Rozsival

Old
02-20-2009, 12:17 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

vCash: 500
Gomez, Drury, and Rozsival

So instead of watching myself and fellow Rangers fans get flamed time and time again when including one of, Gomez, Drury, or Rozsival in a trade proposal, how about those on HF who hate these guys so much enlighten us as to what their true value is.

And I don't want to hear that bull about how the Rangers are going to have to pay teams to take on that salary because everyone on that list can add value to another team.

I didn't include Redden because honestly, he can't. His contract is despicable, and the only way I see him getting off the Rangers is if they have to pay a team to take him, or if they just do the smart thing and waive him.

So...what are we lookin at here?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:21 PM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

Gomez and Drury both have despicable contracts, as well. To the Devils, they are worth nothing simply because of our depth.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
So instead of watching myself and fellow Rangers fans get flamed time and time again when including one of, Gomez, Drury, or Rozsival in a trade proposal, how about those on HF who hate these guys so much enlighten us as to what their true value is.

And I don't want to hear that bull about how the Rangers are going to have to pay teams to take on that salary because everyone on that list can add value to another team.

I didn't include Redden because honestly, he can't. His contract is despicable, and the only way I see him getting off the Rangers is if they have to pay a team to take him, or if they just do the smart thing and waive him.

So...what are we lookin at here?
Their aren't a lot of teams out their that can afford any of those contracts. The ones that can afford them are rebuilding and would not be interested unless they are trading salary for salary

That said how about Gomez and a 1st for Kubina and Blake.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Mike Richards 18

the reason why people say the rangers will have to overpay is b/c who makes a trade for those three is helping NYR out so they can hold them up for a robbery per say but there isnt too many teams maybe 6 that could fit those salaries in a trade. I really dont see too much interest in Drury and he has a NMC he is dominating i just dont see any team really be interested in going after him. Gomez i definitely could see teams interested in him but in the end i really dont see NYR come out to well b/c Gomez is a great player and i think NYR will not get the better player in a trade including any of these three. i have heard some rumbling that Dallas or Tampa Bay maybe interested in Rozy but other then that i really dont see too much interest surrounding him.

Drury i think your stuck with him.
Gomez i could see him playing well in Atlanta but is Atl interested maybe Calgary.
Rozy maybe Dallas or TB

I wish that phillywould have signed Gomez instead of Briere Gomer is a physical grinding player and i never saw him fitting well in NYR.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Sneekypete

Rosvial is the only movable contract in my opinion and the Rangers would have to take salary back I am sure.
With the cap hits and the length of Drury and Gomez contracts. I see them as either unmovable or negative value in a trade offer.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Peter Griffin

I wouldn't take either Gomez or Drury for free on waivers unless there was a situation where the Sedins don't re-sign and the Canucks were unable to land a top 6 center elsewhere.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:29 PM
NYRSinceBirth

[IMG]http://www.****************/file_thumbview_approve/3586350/2/istockphoto_3586350-negative-traffic-sign.jpg[/IMG]

Rozsival might be movable though, catch him on an upswing before he goes ice cold again and he might foster a return.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i honestly dont know a team in the league that would take any of the 4(redden too). not for their current contracts

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Rozsival's cap hit isn't unreasonable. His front ended payroll hit is though NOW. Give him a year. If he bounces back, he'll then be underpaid and Rangers will have no trouble moving him.

02-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
I wish that phillywould have signed Gomez instead of Briere Gomer is a physical grinding player and i never saw him fitting well in NYR.
I'm most certainly glad we didn't. Gomez costs $800K per season more against the cap, and he's less productive than Briere.

Not to bash the Rangers here, but no one who isn't desperate and has tons of cap space is going to trade for those guys, unless another bad contract goes back the other way. You are paying #2 centers money that is suited for top-liners. Redden is getting paid #1 Dman money when he is at best a #3. In a cap world, that's suicide.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
i honestly dont know a team in the league that would take any of the 4(redden too). not for their current contracts
As stated by another poster here, Rozy doesn't have a horrible contract. Its not great, but in a year or so it may look very reasonable.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Zero, zero, and zero.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:47 PM
WreckItRask

People have intimated it, but here is what it comes down to:

Ask yourself this: If any of those guys were on waivers, would someone put in a claim for them? If the answer is no, then they have no value. All of them would clearly add something to a team, but I think only Roszival would get claimed.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Mike Richards 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
People have intimated it, but here is what it comes down to:

Ask yourself this: If any of those guys were on waivers, would someone put in a claim for them? If the answer is no, then they have no value. All of them would clearly add something to a team, but I think only Roszival would get claimed.
Sorry but your statement is incorrect!! I guarentee no one would put in a claim for Drury or Gomez b/c they just cant add 7million to their teams salary. thats horrible thinking on your part.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I would argue that it is incorrect to contend that the Rangers would have to overpay to trade one of these three. That suggests there is a taker out there.

With the current climate of uncertainty, the overpaid nature of these players, and the fact that these contracts are long-term, I think the Rangers have to content themselves with accepting that these players are core, and get them producing again. Only once the production returns will the players' value increase.

Right now, those are contracts that teams do not want to have on their rosters. That isn't a negotiating ploy to get the value lowered; that's a simple statement of fact. With salary cap contraction expected in a year or two, those contracts (and Redden) are poison until such time as those players are productive.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:52 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Sorry but your statement is incorrect!! I guarentee no one would put in a claim for Drury or Gomez b/c they just cant add 7million to their teams salary. thats horrible thinking on your part.
um, what? You're getting pissed and agreeing with me. Why don't you try reading before you flame someone.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Fail.

That's exactly what he said.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
As I see it, unless a team has an albatross contract of their own without necessarily being in salary cap trouble, they're not going to do it. What you could see is a scenario in which someone who's got 4 or 5 mil on some fourth-liner for moderate term (and who is near the cap floor and doesn't necessarily have ot be) trades that and a prospect for Gomez's second-line center ability/large contract/long term. Essentially, you would take back some salary (not as much as you've already got tho) and lose some skill in favor of some future development potential, and that team would accept more salary and longer term for second-line center skill.

Or, IOW, only in very very unusual situations would they be tradable at all. I'm not even sure if such a scenario even exists in the League at the moment.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
As stated by another poster here, Rozy doesn't have a horrible contract. Its not great, but in a year or so it may look very reasonable.
its not awful, and its certainly not the worst on the team but it isnt great. he was probably worth around 5 mil last year, probably a little less but it wasnt a bad deal for last year, but this year he hasnt been great

Old
02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Vitto79

Rozsival has value

I would not be shocked at all if they hook up with Phoenix and Maloney on a doozy

I would do:

Rozsvial , Dawes, Prucha

for

Jovanovski, Reinprecht, Yandle

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
its not awful, and its certainly not the worst on the team but it isnt great. he was probably worth around 5 mil last year, probably a little less but it wasnt a bad deal for last year, but this year he hasnt been great
Yea, I agree with that. I guess what I'm saying is that, when compared to the contracts of Drury, Gomez and Redden, its really not that bad.

Rozy and his contract look worse simply because the Rangers have those other bad contracts on the books. When a team already has 3 horrible contracts, any other contracts where a player is even slightly overpaid per his production looks even worse.

If I were a Rangers fan, Glen Sather would be public enemy #1 right now. He really put that franchise in a bind moving forward.

Old
02-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Yea, I agree with that. I guess what I'm saying is that, when compared to the contracts of Drury, Gomez and Redden, its really not that bad.

Rozy and his contract look worse simply because the Rangers have those other bad contracts on the books. When a team already has 3 horrible contracts, any other contracts where a player is even slightly overpaid per his production looks even worse.

If I were a Rangers fan, Glen Sather would be public enemy #1 right now. He really put that franchise in a bind moving forward.
definitley. they need to some of rid themselves of one of those 3 contracts. they are leaving no money for teh guys on entry level contracts who are outperforming the players that have those big contracts

Old
02-20-2009, 01:30 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

Quote:
For most he is. For others, Renney is public enemy #1.

The worst part is Sather is emperor. GM for life.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Gomez, prospect for Jason Blake

Gives the Leafs a 1st (at least upgrade over Stajan/Grabovski) line center and gets rid of Blake to make room for a younger player.

Rangers add a winger who can score 20-30 goals and clear up some long term cap hit.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 01:40 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

I think Gomez would look nice between Nash and Huselius in CLB. Brassard fit well there, but Gomer feeding a true scorer would benefit him. The Rangers just dont have anything to compliment him.

CLB has room, but what would they give and what would the rangers have to throw in.....
I could see a deal possibly surrounding Umberger/Gomer and some throw ins/Picks maybe.

As for Drury, if he has a NMC then they are stuck with him. He grew up a Rag fan in Conn, so i don't see him wanting to leave.

Roszival would be worthy of someone picking him up. The contract is not great, but is manageable for a guy that can move the puck. Just need a dependable stay at home guy to cover his ass....

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote