HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thornton gets $6.75 million

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2004, 03:23 AM
SedinFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
When I saw it, I thought the arbitrator awarded him too much. If I was a Bruins fan, I'd be happy he's still with the team, but unhappy with the amount he makes.

Old
08-18-2004, 06:11 AM
dumpnchase

Considering Nedermeyer got $7, $6.75 sounds alright for Thornton.

Old
08-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinFan
When I saw it, I thought the arbitrator awarded him too much. If I was a Bruins fan, I'd be happy he's still with the team, but unhappy with the amount he makes.
Are you insane? WE(bruins fans) were expecting 7-8 million.

Old
08-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Timmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpnchase
I'm a bit surprised at both of these. I expected a bit more for each.

Both New Jersey and the Bruins should be happy, IMO.

Old
08-19-2004, 10:37 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Now, even though Thornton was awarded the $6.75 million dollar offer, doesn't Boston have a certain amount of time to decide whether or not they will walk away from the offer? You never know what that organization will do. Could you picture if they did walk away from the arbitrator's ruling. I believe that would make Big Joe unrestricted. And could you picture all the teams lining up for Joe's services.
You don't understand the Bruins. Walking away from Dimitri Kristich and Bryan Berard is nothing like walking away from Joe Thornton. It would just never happen. The fact is, though they can be dysfunctional, there is rhyme and reason behind what the Bruins do.

Also, don't forget, this is the first team that circumvented the rookie contract limit in order to sign Thornton and Samsonov. It was those rookie contracts that ended up setting a trend which the NHL has lamented as a key factor in rising salaries. Just the same, it was the Bruins who signed Lapointe for $20+ mil and went after Jeremy Roenick for some $37 mil (along with Selanne and Amonte after losing Guerin, but they wouldn't give out the term). In other words, though sporadic, they will actually make moves to get/keep the players they need/want.

But giving away a franchise player for zippo is near ludicrous to suggest...

Old
08-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by MeisterBruinmaker
You don't understand the Bruins. Walking away from Dimitri Kristich and Bryan Berard is nothing like walking away from Joe Thornton. It would just never happen. The fact is, though they can be dysfunctional, there is rhyme and reason behind what the Bruins do.

Also, don't forget, this is the first team that circumvented the rookie contract limit in order to sign Thornton and Samsonov. It was those rookie contracts that ended up setting a trend which the NHL has lamented as a key factor in rising salaries. Just the same, it was the Bruins who signed Lapointe for $20+ mil and went after Jeremy Roenick for some $37 mil (along with Selanne and Amonte after losing Guerin, but they wouldn't give out the term). In other words, though sporadic, they will actually make moves to get/keep the players they need/want.

But giving away a franchise player for zippo is near ludicrous to suggest...
They have made some poor decisions. But letting JT go regardless of any package being offered is stupid. You do not trade a guy like that who has a great attitude and plays with a ton of heart. That is why Allison was expendable because he's a lying piece of crap who cannot put two coherent sentences together. But I digress.

D-LA

Old
08-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpnchase
How are you comparing a defenseman to a center

Old
08-20-2004, 12:22 PM
PuckU

Iggy's value is probbaly more than anyone in the league. Speaking as an Islander fan, we are stuck with Alexi Cashin and his 9 Million per season. I would give you him, Pecca, and any player we had for Iggy and a few sticks.

Closed Thread