HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

OT: All you goalies out there!

Old
02-20-2009, 03:22 PM
SerenityRick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
OT: All you goalies out there!

I play in a friday night league every friday as the goalie. I made the mistake of getting all my equipment online (this was 2 years ago) and thus, my current pads are wicked small. I think only 28" if that's possible.
I've been doing ok with them but I'm a big guy and I look rather silly out there with these tiny pillows attached to my legs.

So I've been looking for a relatively cheap upgrade and ran across the "Nike Bauer Vapor XX senior Hockey Goalie Leg Pads" for only $250 (34-36")

Will I be able to do butterflys alright with these? again, the pads I currently have are too small and just designed poorly when it comes to butterflys.

Now i've been scouring google and such for any kind of reviews on these bad boys. Haven't heard bad or good things about bauer/nike.. that's when I decided to post this.

With that in mind I only play in the winter from Nov-March and it's only every week. Sometimes every other week so I don't really need or want to spend a lot of money on really really decent $1200+ pads. But at this point anything is better than the small puppies I have now.

Thanks for any help!

-Rick

Last edited by SerenityRick: 02-20-2009 at 03:37 PM.
SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

You do know there is a proper way to size goalie pads, right?

You need to measure your ATK. Then take the ATK measurement and match it with the correct size of pad in that brand.

(ATK means ankel to knee. Do a google search on it and it'll show you.)

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:03 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
No I do and I know that I'd like to get the 34" but my question was more about the vapor xx brand and if they were decent enough for the price

I was also thinking about spending a little more for the supreme one55s but again, i don't know about these as it's hard finding any kind of reviews or opinions out there

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Magic33

For 250 bucks, if they are brand new, then I would say its a pretty good deal. Bauer makes pretty decent stuff. I've never worn bauer pads, but if they are new you shouldnt have any problems.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Ragss

Ive heard bad things about the really cheap bauer pads. The cheapo pads from any brand are generally crap.

My reccomendation is check ebay every day for a good deal on used pro gear. I got a pair of Vaughn Velocity 7000's for 200 bucks.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Griff57

the other goalie in my sunday night pickup leeague has those same exact pads, so i will ask him about them tomorrow for you. if your looking to stay fairly cheap, here is a website to check out, lots of reasonable deals to give you some options. goaliemonkeys clearance section....

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/clearanc...-leg-pads.html

Griff57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:36 AM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
I play in a friday night league every friday as the goalie. I made the mistake of getting all my equipment online (this was 2 years ago) and thus, my current pads are wicked small. I think only 28" if that's possible.
I've been doing ok with them but I'm a big guy and I look rather silly out there with these tiny pillows attached to my legs.

So I've been looking for a relatively cheap upgrade and ran across the "Nike Bauer Vapor XX senior Hockey Goalie Leg Pads" for only $250 (34-36")

Will I be able to do butterflys alright with these? again, the pads I currently have are too small and just designed poorly when it comes to butterflys.

Now i've been scouring google and such for any kind of reviews on these bad boys. Haven't heard bad or good things about bauer/nike.. that's when I decided to post this.

With that in mind I only play in the winter from Nov-March and it's only every week. Sometimes every other week so I don't really need or want to spend a lot of money on really really decent $1200+ pads. But at this point anything is better than the small puppies I have now.

Thanks for any help!

-Rick
I couldn't tell by your post if you're playing ice or ball hockey but the Vapors are definitely not suited for ice hockey. If your playing ball hockey, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
Ive heard bad things about the really cheap bauer pads. The cheapo pads from any brand are generally crap.

My reccomendation is check ebay every day for a good deal on used pro gear. I got a pair of Vaughn Velocity 7000's for 200 bucks.
Nice! Great deal! Mine cost $1500

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 01:22 PM
the_pen_is_mightier

Visit:
http://www.goaliestore.com/
Best place for goalie related anything. If you don't find a review on there, you'll find someone with some knowledge on whatever you're looking at.

As for the pads in question, I have the Pro Vapors, and they're alright. There's a lot of junk in the leg channel, and you have to mess around with the straps A LOT to avoid over rotation. That said, they flex very well, maintain a good S-shape, and aren't too heavy (not the lightest pads mind you) - great if you have a narrow butterfly. The ones you're looking at might not share the same rotation problems, since you won't have the same leg channel.

You can butterfly in any pad. Just find the CORRECT SIZE, and mess around with the straps. If you want to be a butterfly sliding machine, this takes practice, however, some pads are more friendly for this. I'd say the Vapors (pro ones at least) are OK for this. The occasional over rotation can cause the landing gear to miss the ice, and sliding on the leg channel stacks and straps isn't very effective. But do some research.

Finally, I'd say stay away from any of the "cheap" stuff. It's all made overseas, and quality takes a big hit. Find good, used, higher end (i.e.; "pro") gear online, as suggested above.

Good luck!

the_pen_is_mightier is offline   Reply With Quote