HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evgeni Grachev

Old
02-20-2009, 11:06 AM
SpItFiReZ

vCash: 500
Evgeni Grachev

I am big fan of his since I watch alot of Battalion games and have seen him. Very big, loves to shoot the puck, isn't scared of physicality and just seems like I man among boys.

I know you guys think highly of him here as well. So basically what I am asking is...

1) What you guys think will be his offensive ceiling. 50-60 points? Higher?
2) Does he have a chance for the Rangers next year?
3) Had there been an agreement....would he have slipped in the draft like he did?
4) If he were in this years draft where would he go in the first round? Say late first etc or would you use a first on him?

Thanks for your guys input since I feel biased

Last edited by SpItFiReZ: 02-20-2009 at 11:23 AM.
SpItFiReZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Levitate

Since you get to see him a lot more than most people on this board, you're probably in a better position to answer the first two questions.

I think the fact that he's more or less keeping pace with players who are considered top line talents (Hodgeson and Duschane) despite a slow start and it being his rookie year, lends some credence to the idea that he could be a 60+ point player. I think it's a little hard until we see him play against better competition. Of course, I hope that he can score 30+ goals in the NHL and put up 80+ points and be a first line winger, but that's still a pretty tall order at the moment.

As for the second question, slim chance but it depends on how he does in camp and what the Rangers do at the trade deadline and in the offseason to shore up their wings. I imagine if they are still lacking wingers, and he really impresses in training camp, they'll give him a shot.

I don't think he would have slipped as far, but he still would probably have been a very late round first at the very best, and more likely a second round pick with the label of "good upside but "risky" in terms of reaching it".

Don't know enough about this coming draft, but I'd guess he'd be a mid first round pick judging where Duschane is expected to go

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:40 AM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
1) i hope, that would really help us.
2) depends on his camp, and our winger situation, i say 50-50. if he doesnt make it in camp, i say mid-season callup
3) no, he was a steal for us.
4) yes, hes only got ten or so less goals the JT, so thats should be a first round pick.

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaranger View Post
1) i hope, that would really help us.
2) depends on his camp, and our winger situation, i say 50-50. if he doesnt make it in camp, i say mid-season callup
3) no, he was a steal for us.
4) yes, hes only got ten or so less goals the JT, so thats should be a first round pick.
I would think he , Anisimov , Zherdev get a look in training camp together

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:32 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
I am big fan of his since I watch alot of Battalion games and have seen him. Very big, loves to shoot the puck, isn't scared of physicality and just seems like I man among boys.

I know you guys think highly of him here as well. So basically what I am asking is...

3) Had there been an agreement....would he have slipped in the draft like he did?
4) If he were in this years draft where would he go in the first round? Say late first etc or would you use a first on him?

1) Personally, I'm VERY bullish on him - I honestly believe he's got 40+ goal/80+ pt, mutliple all-start game potential.
2) A slim one coming out of camp (the organization has been very disciplined about not rushing prospects since the lockout), but I think he's got a good shot of starting in the AHL and getting a callup in the second half of the season.
3) Hard to read this one - I think various teams take widely varying views on the (lack of a) transfer agreement. For example, the Rangers have seemed to give it very little weight, whereas teams like Edmonton seem to factor it in heavily. Certainly he could have gone somewhat higher, but I doubt it bumps him up more than, say, 10 spots.
4) Definitely a first rounder if he were available - potentially top 10, even in this draft. Multiple reports in our prospects thread quote scouts and reporters who cover the OHL as saying things like "he's the best prospect on that team", "he'd be a top ten pick if he were available next summer" etc. Besides, just look at how he compares to the other guys who are mentioned as potential top 10 this year, including Duschene, who's supposed to be top 3/top 5, depending on who you talk to.

My FAVORITE prospect. Only imagine if Cherepanov had survived to play with him. *sigh*

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:50 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
1) I can see him hitting the PPG mark in his peak years. Around a 65-70 point player before and after.
2) Not very likely. Will likely play in the AHL.
3) No.
4) He would've been a top 20 pick if there was a transfer agreement. Guaranteed.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I hate him. Each time I tell myself; "Don't set your expectations too high," he comes out and has another 3 point night or makes a fantastic read on a pass, blows past the opposing D and creates a scoring chance shorthanded. It's killing me.

6th overall in goals, and 2 of the 5 guys ahead of him have played 6 more games this season. Top-ranked rookie in overall scoring, as well as goals. He's definitely very impressive.

He'll definitely be in the AHL next year, but I'd be very surprised to see him make the big club.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:55 PM
RANGERS2448

[QUOTE=My FAVORITE prospect. Only imagine if Cherepanov had survived to play with him. *sigh*[/QUOTE]

that thought has kept me up at night

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

The thing that just stands out so much with me is how fast he is for a huge player. He's one of the fastest players in the OHL..and at 6'4!? That alone is huge.

Theres a reason why he was in the fastest skater competition in the OHL skills comp...

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 01:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
The thing that just stands out so much with me is how fast he is for a huge player. He's one of the fastest players in the OHL..and at 6'4!? That alone is huge.

Theres a reason why he was in the fastest skater competition in the OHL skills comp...
Yeah, and he finished third, right? It's ridiculous how fast he can move at his size. Skating looks so effortless for him, too--he just looks like he's floating above the ice.

My favorite aspect of his game is that he's big, and knows how to use his size to get to the net and to protect the puck. He's like Jagr out there, in that it's so hard to knock him off the puck. I know he's basically a man against boys out there, but it's reasonable to expect him to continue to add muscle and learn to use his frame to his advantage.

His speed and frame, coupled with his tremendous shot and release, makes him look like a can't miss prospect to me.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, and he finished third, right? It's ridiculous how fast he can move at his size. Skating looks so effortless for him, too--he just looks like he's floating above the ice.

My favorite aspect of his game is that he's big, and knows how to use his size to get to the net and to protect the puck. He's like Jagr out there, in that it's so hard to knock him off the puck. I know he's basically a man against boys out there, but it's reasonable to expect him to continue to add muscle and learn to use his frame to his advantage.

His speed and frame, coupled with his tremendous shot and release, makes him look like a can't miss prospect to me.
In the first event of the night, Hall won the fastest skater competition as he circled the WFCU ice surface in 14.178 seconds.

"I came in not knowing what to expect," said the 17-year-old Hall, who was the first of four skaters for the Western Conference. "I just did the best I could."

Brampton's Evgeny Grachev was second in 14.183 seconds while Spitfire centre Scott Timmins finished third in 14.385 seconds.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:15 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
He is literally a battleship. He is 6' 4" and supposedly a ****ing torpedo. He's got hands too I hear.

Grachev-Anismov-Zherdev

The Red Army. Could you imagine it?

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:46 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

1) I just don't know, I'd be more than happy with a Jokinen, Antropov, or Frolov.

2) Rangers will have to make room for him on the roster in order to do so. I think he deserves the chance and should get it in camp. Artem Anisimov is a year older and has established himself as a top scorer in his 2nd season in the AHL. Unless some bodies are moved, it will be hard to fit him into the lineup. Unless he has a stellar camp, I can see him spending a year in the minors first.

3) Absolutely not, this kid was a flat out steal in the 3rd round. Pierre McGuire even said as much during the WJC. If there is an agreement, I think he goes in the 1st. Scouting players is more than just playing ability, the ranger scouts did a great job with learning about this kid and knowing that he had intentions on coming to NA to play juniors.

4) As long as there isn't an agreement and NHL clubs keep losing players, Russians will continue to slide in the draft. Knowing how far and when to pick them up is difficult to predict and if I could, I'd be working for an NHL club. That said, I'd guess he'd go in the 2nd round, not much different then where he was taken.

After watching the WJC, I really thought this guy was as good as James Van Reimsyke who was taken 2nd overall. He's just so darn big and so darn fast and as you said, looked like a man against boys. I can't say that he's a top5 pick and that JVR isn't because I know that one tournament doesn't define a player. Hedman certainly didn't look like a #2 overall. Around the time of the WJC, I opened a poll up to compare these two and JVR did win significantly, though I'm very interested how these two end up in their NHL careers.

Does anyone know if he can play in the AHL next year or if he has to be returned to his JR team? I think another year in JRs would be a total waste and he needs to start playing against other players who are larger and faster in order to continue to develop. I wouldn't mind him starting the season in the AHL next year, but I'd have a big issue with sending him back to JRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
In the first event of the night, Hall won the fastest skater competition as he circled the WFCU ice surface in 14.178 seconds.

"I came in not knowing what to expect," said the 17-year-old Hall, who was the first of four skaters for the Western Conference. "I just did the best I could."

Brampton's Evgeny Grachev was second in 14.183 seconds while Spitfire centre Scott Timmins finished third in 14.385 seconds.
Wow....Cogliano won he NHL skills competition at 14.31, is the rink size comparable?

Last edited by vipernsx: 02-20-2009 at 02:51 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Wow....Cogliano won he NHL skills competition at 14.31, is the rink size comparable?
Yeah I was going to say...there's got to be some kind of difference in how it's setup.

Still impressive either way

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
1) I just don't know, I'd be more than happy with a Jokinen, Antropov, or Frolov.

2) Rangers will have to make room for him on the roster in order to do so. I think he deserves the chance and should get it in camp. Artem Anisimov is a year older and has established himself as a top scorer in his 2nd season in the AHL. Unless some bodies are moved, it will be hard to fit him into the lineup. Unless he has a stellar camp, I can see him spending a year in the minors first.

3) Absolutely not, this kid was a flat out steal in the 3rd round. Pierre McGuire even said as much during the WJC. If there is an agreement, I think he goes in the 1st. Scouting players is more than just playing ability, the ranger scouts did a great job with learning about this kid and knowing that he had intentions on coming to NA to play juniors.

4) As long as there isn't an agreement and NHL clubs keep losing players, Russians will continue to slide in the draft. Knowing how far and when to pick them up is difficult to predict and if I could, I'd be working for an NHL club. That said, I'd guess he'd go in the 2nd round, not much different then where he was taken.

After watching the WJC, I really thought this guy was as good as James Van Reimsyke who was taken 2nd overall. He's just so darn big and so darn fast and as you said, looked like a man against boys. I can't say that he's a top5 pick and that JVR isn't because I know that one tournament doesn't define a player. Hedman certainly didn't look like a #2 overall. Around the time of the WJC, I opened a poll up to compare these two and JVR did win significantly, though I'm very interested how these two end up in their NHL careers.

Does anyone know if he can play in the AHL next year or if he has to be returned to his JR team? I think another year in JRs would be a total waste and he needs to start playing against other players who are larger and faster in order to continue to develop. I wouldn't mind him starting the season in the AHL next year, but I'd have a big issue with sending him back to JRs.

Pierre McGwire once called Tom Pyatt the steal of the 05 draft......Lets put his opinion in perspective....

Grachev looks to be a steal but who knows....hopefully he develops and his game translates in the AHL next year....the thing is he shouldn't be rushed....we should also relax a bit on the excitement, he still has a LONG way to go...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 03:26 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Pierre McGwire once called Tom Pyatt the steal of the 05 draft......Lets put his opinion in perspective....

Grachev looks to be a steal but who knows....hopefully he develops and his game translates in the AHL next year....the thing is he shouldn't be rushed....we should also relax a bit on the excitement, he still has a LONG way to go...
Thing is, SoS - I don't think he really DOES have that far to go development-wise. Look up some of the video clips and watch his play (not just his size).

Every year there are some guys who go straight from juniors to the NHL and he's playing on par with every one of the kids who'll make that move this coming year. Now, I'm not saying he WILL make that jump - I'm just saying that he's so good that he doesn't have nearly as far to go as most draft picks playing in the OHL.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 03:28 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post
that thought has kept me up at night
Grachev - Anisimov - Cherepanov

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Thing is, SoS - I don't think he really DOES have that far to go development-wise. Look up some of the video clips and watch his play (not just his size).

Every year there are some guys who go straight from juniors to the NHL and he's playing on par with every one of the kids who'll make that move this coming year. Now, I'm not saying he WILL make that jump - I'm just saying that he's so good that he doesn't have nearly as far to go as most draft picks playing in the OHL.
That might be the case with Grachev....Maybe he is the rare kid that can make the jump after one year but I get the feeling some posters expect that...OR worse expect his offense to translate right away.......

I think he has to have a full season in the AHL before we start projecting his future....Hey, i hope i'm wrong...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
McMonster

I've seen some of his highlights and he is VERY impressive.

He scores on a lot of tough angles and he shoots from anywhere. Something this team needs.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah I was going to say...there's got to be some kind of difference in how it's setup.

Still impressive either way
I believe I read that they move the nets closer so the circuit is shorter.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:26 PM
satrabyk

we can speculate all we want, and yes he looks to have potential, but we dont kno anything about point production or anything else until we see him play in the big league. Unless he has an incredible summer and blows us away at training camp, i think he will be best starting the season in Hatford and playing another WJ for Russia. After the WJ we can scout are situation and maybe bring him in. Quite frankly we could use him this year, but probably not the smartest thing to do for his confidence and development.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:21 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
I feel like I was enjoying a nice bowl of ice cream and you just pointed out the hair in it.

Quote:
Good points, though he seems physically mature enough to play against larger appoints and I think sending him to JRs next when he's already bigger, stronger and faster than everyone else, just doesn't seem to make sense. I don't know if NHL or JRs is the forced option for him, if it is, I hope he has a fantastic camp and makes the big club.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Ola

Quote:
It don't show at the U20 level -- which suprises me a bit, because Russia just haven't been close at that level since AO and Malkin -- but overall Russia is really really streaking as a hockeynation. I don't think Grachev would have fell as far as he did, but he probably wouldn't have gone as high as he should either.

I think allot of really good players will come out of Russia from these years. The team Russia puts on the ice in the mens international tournaments here in Europe (Czech, Swedes, Finns and Russia plays four 4 nation tournament a season) are really good. Like good enough to have a shot to win the WCH's probably, and to do that you usually have to beat a extremely strong Canadian team for example. The KHL is a good league, not compareable with the NHL, but allot better then the AHL or SEL ever have been for exampel. Its also very competetive with sick pressure on the coaches and several teams who is on the same level. That have given many players a chance to take another step in their development. I also wouldn't be suprised if doping was very widespread. Or, I would basically bet anything on that it is... That definitly helps them developing allot. Like I saw one player a couple of weeks ago who I remeber as a small playmaking center, a typical Russian finesse center so to speak -- now he was built like Brendan Morrow. Its unnecessary to mention names, but this player went from 167 lbs to 200 lbs. And he is not a unique example at all.

Anyway, Russia have some players who are good. Radulov have developed allot. They have some players who are typical stars in Europe, guys like Zinoviev, Morozov and co. Its not thoose guys I am talking about really, they are "star" type of players, and not good enough to be stars in the NHL really. Besides Radulov maybe. Its the guys after them who is impressing me a ton. Guys who aren't "star" type of players. They have some D's who are really good. Very strong physically and good hockeyplayers. Like there is easliy 7-8 D's in Russia who is atleast as good and probably better then like a Sami Salo. But they also especially have allot of forwards who I think could step into the NHL and be excellent 2nd and 3rd lineers. Skilled like all Russians, but very gritty and strong physically. They are following in AO's footprints so to speak. Like Sergei Brylin type of talents who are built mroe like Brendan Morrow or Adam Graves basically.

I don't think many gets how good Hockey Russia is gooing right now. Especially since their U20 have been so weak. My point is just that it probably really is time to find steals in Russia, if you only can get the players away from the KHL...

I think Sweden was in the same situation in the early 90's. Players like Sundin and Forsberg went early in the 1st round. But Alfie, Lidström and bunch of other really good players came from nowhere basically and became big stars.

Last edited by Ola: 02-20-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

1) I think he will be on average, a point per game player.
2) Pending roster moves, about a 10% chance if that high.
3) I think he would've been top 20-top 15 IMO. I've had him in my radar since April, and was extremely shocked when we nabbed him in the 3rd round.
4) I'd say middle of the draft, in the first round. I think he is going to be an absolute stud in the NHL, and I think he will be a great 2-way player who uses his size to an advantage.

I am biased as well...soo yeah you know.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
It don't show at the U20 level -- which suprises me a bit, because Russia just haven't been close at that level since AO and Malkin -- but overall Russia is really really streaking as a hockeynation. I don't think Grachev would have fell as far as he did, but he probably wouldn't have gone as high as he should either.

I think allot of really good players will come out of Russia from these years. The team Russia puts on the ice in the mens international tournaments here in Europe (Czech, Swedes, Finns and Russia plays four 4 nation tournament a season) are really good. Like good enough to have a shot to win the WCH's probably, and to do that you usually have to beat a extremely strong Canadian team for example. The KHL is a good league, not compareable with the NHL, but allot better then the AHL or SEL ever have been for exampel. Its also very competetive with sick pressure on the coaches and several teams who is on the same level. That have given many players a chance to take another step in their development. I also wouldn't be suprised if doping was very widespread. Or, I would basically bet anything on that it is... That definitly helps them developing allot. Like I saw one player a couple of weeks ago who I remeber as a small playmaking center, a typical Russian finesse center so to speak -- now he was built like Brendan Morrow. Its unnecessary to mention names, but this player went from 167 lbs to 200 lbs. And he is not a unique example at all.

Anyway, Russia have some players who are good. Radulov have developed allot. They have some players who are typical stars in Europe, guys like Zinoviev, Morozov and co. Its not thoose guys I am talking about really, they are "star" type of players, and not good enough to be stars in the NHL really. Besides Radulov maybe. Its the guys after them who is impressing me a ton. Guys who aren't "star" type of players. They have some D's who are really good. Very strong physically and good hockeyplayers. Like there is easliy 7-8 D's in Russia who is atleast as good and probably better then like a Sami Salo. But they also especially have allot of forwards who I think could step into the NHL and be excellent 2nd and 3rd lineers. Skilled like all Russians, but very gritty and strong physically. They are following in AO's footprints so to speak. Like Sergei Brylin type of talents who are built mroe like Brendan Morrow or Adam Graves basically.

I don't think many gets how good Hockey Russia is gooing right now. Especially since their U20 have been so weak. My point is just that it probably really is time to find steals in Russia, if you only can get the players away from the KHL...

I think Sweden was in the same situation in the early 90's. Players like Sundin and Forsberg went early in the 1st round. But Alfie, Lidström and bunch of other really good players came from nowhere basically and became big stars.
If there were an agreement, Grachev would of been top 25. He was in the top 30 on the last ISS, before the draft.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote