HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Not (French) Canadien Enough?!?

Old
02-21-2009, 10:40 AM
LT56Strong

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LT56Strong
Not (French) Canadien Enough?!?

Hello,

When I dream about where I would have loved to score my first NHL goal, it is always the same place - the mythic Forum. I never played in the NHL but I am an avid hockey fan. Despite my loyalty to my NY Islanders of which my family was a season ticket holder for my entire youth (1975-1989) I have always held a religious reverence for the Canadiens.

With that in mind - I ask you as a community - is there not enough (French) Canadian influence on the team at this point to carry on the classy and winning traditions that define the franchise? There is one player born in Quebec in the teams top nine scorers.

In the wake of both the teams on ice struggles and the latest scandal (involving 3 non-Canadian players) should GM Gainey focus on acquiring more French-Canadian players in the off-season?

With Respect,
LT

LT56Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:42 AM
GoodKiwi

This is quite ridiculous.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:44 AM
MTL-rules

This is not going to end well...

But, you'll learn it the hard way...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

You are aware there was no scandal, right? Well, no scandal except the usual horse manure from some of the media.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:46 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT56Strong View Post
Hello,

When I dream about where I would have loved to score my first NHL goal, it is always the same place - the mythic Forum. I never played in the NHL but I am an avid hockey fan. Despite my loyalty to my NY Islanders of which my family was a season ticket holder for my entire youth (1975-1989) I have always held a religious reverence for the Canadiens.

With that in mind - I ask you as a community - is there not enough (French) Canadian influence on the team at this point to carry on the classy and winning traditions that define the franchise? There is one player born in Quebec in the teams top nine scorers.

In the wake of both the teams on ice struggles and the latest scandal (involving 3 non-Canadian players) should GM Gainey focus on acquiring more French-Canadian players in the off-season?

With Respect,
LT

its more about focusing on acquiring the best available player here ! i do think you will see the Habs doing alot more scouting of Q born players and i have NO problem with this !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:48 AM
LT56Strong

Send a message via AIM to LT56Strong
No Offense Intended..

Scandal or not - please see the main thrust of my point - there have been so much programming on the NHL Network dedicated to the 100yr anniversary - I am curious - do you think that a different pedigree of player would respond differently to the pressures of your culture?

LT56Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Roulin

There aren't too many interesting French Canadian players available this offseason. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Michel Ouellet, as injury insurance. I think Beauchemin is overrated. If Vermette is available, I think he is better than his results have shown this season, but I don't know if the Sens would trade him to Montreal.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:54 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
There aren't too many interesting French Canadian players available this offseason. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Michel Ouellet, as injury insurance. I think Beauchemin is overrated. If Vermette is available, I think he is better than his results have shown this season, but I don't know if the Sens would trade him to Montreal.
i wonder if in his case its attitude because he always done pretty fair points wise.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Mustafa*

I think we can count both Guillevsky Latendrev and Alexeï Tanguev out of the mix, they took french names just to have an easier time in Montreal, because everybody knows that carbo dislike russian players.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Roulin

Quote:
Scandal or not - please see the main thrust of my point - there have been so much programming on the NHL Network dedicated to the 100yr anniversary - I am curious - do you think that a different pedigree of player would respond differently to the pressures of your culture?
No, I don't. There are recent examples of Euro and Quebecois players who have thrived in Montreal (Koivu, Naslund, early Theodore, Damphousse) and who have crumbled (Samsonov, Ribeiro, latter Theodore). History doesn't show Europeans performing any worse than locals, relative to the rest of their careers, in Montreal.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Not this again.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs

This team needs more cowbell.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:56 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Hello,

With Respect,
LT
I think you mean well, but quite frankly I think some folks put too much stock in where a player was born

As for scandals? There have been plenty involving folks from everywhere, including Quebec, on many teams. Unfortunately some guys are easier targets because of weird bias issues that guys like Don Cherry espouse. It's always "them"

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
This team needs more cowbell.
or more brits, if that matters

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Since Ryder is gone, we don't have any Newfies either.

Old
02-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Magic33

I think that players from North America may be more aware of the Canadiens history, and know what it means to play for them. However, I wouldn't expect guys from Belarus for example, to know the history and everything surrounding the habs. You can't just read up on the habs, you have to experience it to be able to understand the history.

That being said, I dont care if our best players come from quebec, russia, africa, china, Mars, Jupiter ... as long as they come to play every night im happy.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:01 AM
x-bob

Quote:
Hello,

With Respect,
LT
I am an Italien decendent living in Quebec. In no way I am French Canadien but I bleed Red White and Blue. It has nothing to do with where you come from.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I always post these pictures, but with good reason If only Terry Butcher played hockey...

Give some of those Canadian farm boys a run for their money

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Go Habs Go

It all comes down to how much a player values the Stanley Cup. Language they speak doesn't make a difference, culture is not going to save them from the media.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I always post these pictures, but with good reason If only Terry Butcher played hockey...

Give some of those Canadian farm boys a run for their money
Did he just butcher someone for the ball??

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:09 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
I'm not sure you understand the level of pressure that this town puts on players. Home grown talent suffers the same pressure for different reasons. Consider how many Quebec players simply refuse to come back as free agents

Imagine getting up every morning and reading reviews on your work, details about rumoured behaviour, personal attacks. It's no picnic

Funny thing talking about origins and hockey. I remember reading Letter to the Editor in Sports Illustrated back in the 70's. One US fan was writing to complain how racist the NHL was because it had no oriental players. It was so stupid in the context of "current events" I just had to laugh

Too many folks worry about WHAT you are instead of WHO you are

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-21-2009 at 12:47 PM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post

Imagine getting up every morning and reading reviews on your work, details about rumoured behaviour, personal attacks. It's no picnic
Its called "marriage" my friend.

Old
02-21-2009, 11:15 AM
number 11

drafting players just because of their names put us back 15 years during the houle era.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Did he just butcher someone for the ball??
From your friend and mine, Wikipedia:

Quote:
Then, on 6 September 1989, while playing for England in a vital World Cup qualifier in Sweden, Butcher suffered a deep cut to his forehead early in the game. Butcher had some impromptu stitches inserted by the physiotherapist and, swathed in bandages, continued playing. His constant heading of the ball - unavoidable when playing in the centre of defence - disintegrated the bandages and reopened the cut to the extent that his white England shirt was entirely red by the end of the game. This match remains his defining moment as one of England's great footballing heroes, especially as England got the draw they needed to qualify for the 1990 competition, and is often used when referencing Butcher even today.
Having heard many a N.American broadcaster, I've heard many references to people falling over like soccer players (and similar comments). I sometimes wonder if such people have any idea that a guy like Terry Butcher exists. Just as Canadians like to think of their players playing the game honestly, the way it is meant to be played, people over here like to think the same of our footballers. Of course, there are exceptions, but it's the way the game is meant to be played and people take pride in working hard and playing fair, especially when they represent their national teams.

So to relate it back to the topic at hand, the key thing isn't the nationality but the mentality. If anyone has the right mentality, then they could be a good player and gain respect and admiration from the fans and that's what most people want to see from their sports teams.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
drafting players just because of their names put us back 15 years during the houle era.
Exactly the french-first model has been tested and proven to fail. Yes of course Montreal should scout Quebec more thoroughly than any other team does. Then they should draft the best player available, period.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote