HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#57 -- Penguins at Flyers -- February 21, 2009 -- 1:00 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2009, 04:00 PM
sawtooth420

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Crosby embellished it no doubt. Its not even up for debate. Richards dove at the puck. He didn't dive to draw a penalty. He was trying to swipe at the puck so it would be cleared because after all we were down 2 men. Hartnell dove. I challenge you to find one person that said Hartnell didn't dive in this thread.. You wont find a person because you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Check. Got it. Whatever makes you feel better. I know that loss hurt. Try and feel better okay big guy?

Old
02-21-2009, 04:00 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Bill Clement termed the play, at least the original intent, by Biron "smart":

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...180&feedID=695
I actually agree. I think it was a good play to come out and try to play the puck but since he couldn't do it correctly he should have stayed down and taken the delay of game penalty.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I actually would expect a NHL team to win that matchup. Remember, these international teams have very little time to develop real chemistry. While the names are flashy, they just don't play enough to really gel into a team...and they're playing against other teams in the same boat.

One of the few times I can honestly say that I disagree with you....although chemistry is always a factor, Canada almost always has it together.

Old
Mike Richards 18

Why hasnt Gagne been producing much lately?? dont think hes played poorly just curious why hasnt scored much lately. i ve noticed he s been passing alot lately as well.

Old
Miss Mess

Quote:
Alberts had some absolutely brutal plays today...only one really cost them.

I remain fascinated at the movement of Vaananen from first pairing to out house in like 2 games.
Me too. It was never explained! He was solid, so it makes no sense.

Old
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
If you think so, we'll never know only speculate i 4guess4+
I mean...it's why you see teams like the Swiss and Belarussians hold their own in some of these games. They don't have near the skill of the NHL-heavy clubs, but they play with each other a hell of a lot more.

Old
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
That's the thing, there aren't that many "stellar goalies" out there right now. Lots of guys are having inconsistent seasons.
exactly and this has been the problem with the goaltending in Philly with what seems like 20 years now. We get a guy who can look so good for short stretches then one game he makes a dumb play that cost his team the hockey game.
Look at the list of goalies we have had since 1990. How many can you say were reliable? how many of goaltenders seem to make bad plays/decisions with the puck, give up a horrible goal at the worst possible time.
Its unreal this team hasnt had a good consistant goaltender in a long time.
In my mind right now Biron is no better then Esche, Chechmanek, Hextall during his 2nd time back here, Sean Burke the list goes on and on. All those guys were terribly inconsistant. One minute you love them, the next minute they are pissing you off to no end. Again as I have said earlier I am not totally blaming Biron for today, BUT once again a bad decision by a Flyers goaltender at a critical time cost the Flyers the hockey game.
I really would like to be a fly on the wall in that Flyer lockerroom after the hockey game. Probably isnt pretty.

Old
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Alberts had some absolutely brutal plays today...only one really cost them.

I remain fascinated at the movement of Vaananen from first pairing to out house in like 2 games.
Stevens says Ossi is not playing physical enough. But yet he dresses Alberts that has brain farts and is one of the softest 6'5' 230 pound defenseman i have ever seen in my life. He laid some good licks today i would like to see that on a consistent basis but the constant being out of position and brain farts have got to stop.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
One of the few times I can honestly say that I disagree with you....although chemistry is always a factor, Canada almost always has it together.
They looked absolutely on point in the last Olympics...

Old
02-21-2009, 04:02 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Marty was not that good as he let in 5 goals which gives him a save percentage of .814 for tonight and that is not good.
That's worse than not good.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth420 View Post
Check. Got it. Whatever makes you feel better. I know that loss hurt. Try and feel better okay big guy?

Maybe we'll see ya in the playoffs....maybe we won't. I hope so, but you'll have some work to do.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
he should have stayed down and taken the delay of game penalty.
Exactly. Take the damn penalty!

Old
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Actually the defense was pretty good tonight. They only allowed 27 shots on goal. Marty was not that good as he let in 5 goals which gives him a save percentage of .814 for tonight and that is not good.
You can't just look at the shot totals and say it was a good game by the defense. Just look at the quality shots. They were taken everywhere in our zone.

Old
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
exactly and this has been the problem with the goaltending in Philly with what seems like 20 years now. We get a guy who can look so good for short stretches then one game he makes a dumb play that cost his team the hockey game.
Look at the list of goalies we have had since 1990. How many can you say were reliable? how many of goaltenders seem to make bad plays/decisions with the puck, give up a horrible goal at the worst possible time.
Its unreal this team hasnt had a good consistant goaltender in a long time.
In my mind right now Biron is no better then Esche, Chechmanek, Hextall during his 2nd time back here, Sean Burke the list goes on and on. All those guys were terribly inconsistant. One minute you love them, the next minute they are pissing you off to no end. Again as I have said earlier I am not totally blaming Biron for today, BUT once again a bad decision by a Flyers goaltender at a critical time cost the Flyers the hockey game.
I really would like to be a fly on the wall in that Flyer lockerroom after the hockey game. Probably isnt pretty.
I'm just saying that there aren't that many great goalies right now in the NHL period.

I mean, both Turco and Giggy are having some huge struggles right now and plenty of others have been inconsistent.

Biron is still a .907 (same as Kipper), he had a bad play, but has generally been pretty solid for us.

Old
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
I don't know why you are in here. I am done with the subject. You can go along now.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
That was when the great defensive center decided to join three teammates below the goal line rather than cover the slot like he's supposed to.

But we don't want to talk about that, not when we have a goalie to lynch and a superstar to malign.
and if one of Jones or Alberts doesnt lose someone behind the goal that doesnt happen. But God forbid if we happen to place any blame on Jones for a play in a hockey game.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
That was when the great defensive center decided to join three teammates below the goal line rather than cover the slot like he's supposed to.

But we don't want to talk about that, not when we have a goalie to lynch and a superstar to malign.
A couple of goals could have been prevented by the defense.

Like Malkins goal for one. Why the hell is Jones just standing there in front of the net with Malkin?? He should of cleared Malkin out the way and that deflection doesn't happen.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:07 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
and if one of Jones or Alberts doesnt lose someone behind the goal that doesnt happen. But God forbid if we happen to place any blame on Jones for a play in a hockey game.
No, God forbid you would even know who was on the ice at the time.

Wasn't Parent the guy Dupuis beat to the puck?

Old
02-21-2009, 04:08 PM
sawtooth420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Maybe we'll see ya in the playoffs....maybe we won't. I hope so, but you'll have some work to do.

I hope so too. Nothing better than Pens/Flyers in the playoffs

Old
02-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
No, God forbid you would even know who was on the ice at the time.

Wasn't Parent the guy Dupuis beat to the puck?
Alberts ****ed that play up. He went after Dupuis and failed miserably when he tried to swipe the puck and that left Crosby wide open behind him.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Steve Perry

Quote:

I guess that beats admitting you were wrong. Nobody here is saying Hartnell didn't dive.

Look, congrats on the win and good luck tomorrow against the Caps. I'd be happy too. But you can go now.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:09 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'm just saying that there aren't that many great goalies right now in the NHL period.

I mean, both Turco and Giggy are having some huge struggles right now and plenty of others have been inconsistent.

Biron is still a .907 (same as Kipper), he had a bad play, but has generally been pretty solid for us.
honestly can we just throw the save percentage out for one second? I could care less what the save percentage is. Does Kipper come out of the net and do what Biron did today? You are in a tie game and you need to make better decisions with the puck and better decions period at that point of the hockey game.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:10 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
A couple of goals could have been prevented by the defense.

Like Malkins goal for one. Why the hell is Jones just standing there in front of the net with Malkin?? He should of cleared Malkin out the way and that deflection doesn't happen.
That was the goal tipped by two guys on the way in. On the power play.

They don't have a stellar blue line corps. That's for certain. But neither of Crosby's goals were the fault of defense, nor was Fedotenko's alone in the slot, nor was that one.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
They looked absolutely on point in the last Olympics...

That's why I said almost always. Let's use 2002 for example.

Old
02-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Perry View Post
That's what I'm worried about. I'm finding consolation in the fact that the Buffalo and NYR games were bigger games than this one. But upcoming games @WSH, LA, MTL, @NJ, @BOS has me worried. Very tough 5 game stretch.
Yep. Our schedule over the next month is scary. Now is NOT the time for idiotic plays by our goalie.

Closed Thread