HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #60 - 02.21.09 | NY Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
02-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Chimp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusT View Post
Guys..every morning I wake up and pray that I go on the Rangers homepage and see the headline
"The New York Rangers Fire Head Coach Tom Renney"
That will only be a quick fix. I think no coach could make something useful out of this sorry bunch. We're not built for success.

The problem is only partially coaching. We have to look at our GM, who ran the franchise into the ground only two years after Maloney left, with idiotic, big contract, half decade UFA signings. Maloney was the tactical guy and we are now left with $ather.

You know you suck at your job when you have arguably made the three worst UFA signings in NHL history since after the lockout. Sure, signing Zherdev was a good move, but we also lost Tyutin. Näslund for $4 million has also been at least ok so far. Trading Avery was also a good move. Other than that, just horrible decisions all way through. Signing Cullen, trading Ozolinsh, dropping Jagr, dropping Nylander, dropping Shanahan, signing Dreary, signing Fumblez, signing Dreaden, signing Rissmiller, signing Voros, signing... well... I don't have the energy to continue. Let's just say the list is very, very long with questionable down to idiotic moves.

Last edited by Chimp: 02-22-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Having to see 5 more years of Redden floating around there being useless, making stupid plays, and taking up 6.5 million of cap space is going to be one of the hardest things any fan could bear.

Why why why were both Rozsival and him signed
I would waive him and stick him in the minors. That's me.

Black Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:16 AM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Again, what exactly is he supposed to get out of this team? We have 3 players that have scored more than 30 goals in a season. One hasn't done it since 05-06, and is now 35 years old and getting older. Another has only done it once, and that was the only time he scored more than 20 in a season. That leaves Drury, and he's always been a 20-25 goal guy other than his time in Buffalo.
He's the one who freaking wanted this type of team!

It's apparently wonderful job security put yourself in a position of low expectations and then lean on that when times get tough. How that happens when you're coming off three straight playoff appearances and have spent as much money as is allowed, I'll never know.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Bury Your Head

I wonder if Drury was on "Boli" when he was with Buffalo. 'Cause I remember him actually getting shots ON GOAL when he was there.

Oh, and Girardi has been a pretty big disappointment lately.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:21 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusT View Post
Guys..every morning I wake up and pray that I go on the Rangers homepage and see the headline
"The New York Rangers Fire Head Coach Tom Renney"
It's not just the coach, it's the players. I believe the downward spiral started with free agent signings. It's been our achillies heel since forever.

I find it funny when people complain about Gomez and Drury but when we signed them it was pandimonium around here....as if we had won the Stanley Cup. For whatever reason people are infatuated with big names.

I look at the most successful teams and they build almost completely from within (Devils and Detroit).They have great scouting and development programs. They also give their young players ice time and live with their early mistakes.

Accountability. If Gomez and Drury aren't performing as first line players, bench them or put them on the checking line for awhile. That may change their motivation to succeed.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:26 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
I wonder if Drury was on "Boli" when he was with Buffalo. 'Cause I remember him actually getting shots ON GOAL when he was there.

Oh, and Girardi has been a pretty big disappointment lately.
Seriously. There were a couple of times last night when it looked like Redden was bailing HIM out.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:41 AM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
It's not just the coach, it's the players. I believe the downward spiral started with free agent signings. It's been our achillies heel since forever.

I find it funny when people complain about Gomez and Drury but when we signed them it was pandimonium around here....as if we had won the Stanley Cup. For whatever reason people are infatuated with big names.
People were excited because the signing of Gomez and Drury were NOT just like the FA binge buys of the pre-lockout team. The Rangers didn't go out and buy every over the hill player, regardless of whether or not they fit the needs of the team. They went out and got two, in their prime centers at a time when the Rangers most glaring need was at center. The Redden contract is definitely a head-scratcher (since his decline was well underway before Sather threw cash at him).

Quote:
I look at the most successful teams and they build almost completely from within (Devils and Detroit).They have great scouting and development programs. They also give their young players ice time and live with their early mistakes.
I can't really fault the Rangers on this. The top prospect, that they were counting on sooner rather than later, died. Also, they HAVE given some young players ice time (Staal, Girardi, Lundqvist, Callahan, Dubi, and to a lesser extent Dawes). That trend is likely to continue with Sangs, Anisimov, Graschev etc.

Quote:
Accountability. If Gomez and Drury aren't performing as first line players, bench them or put them on the checking line for awhile. That may change their motivation to succeed.
This I completely agree with. Redden sucking shouldn't be a surprise, as he sucked long before Sather made him rich.

Gomez sucking. Drury sucking. The team not playing up to scratch? That's on the players and Renney. The team can either deal away all of the players (which will cost some valuable assets in order to move some contracts), or try a different coach and see if that works. The Caps went with the new coach option last year. It worked fairly well.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Unpredictable1

I love what Renney has done these past years but I'm thinking it's time for a new era.

That said, for everyone thinking that Renney shouldn't go, I've seen coaches fired for much less than what we're going through.

I don't want him gone from the organization though, I would like for him to be moved within. (if possible)

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:00 PM
shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Seriously. There were a couple of times last night when it looked like Redden was bailing HIM out.
were you at the game last night. Girardi played a very good game. was hitting and battling hard.

It was Staal who really sucked last night. almost looked like Malik ( both tall and awkward). 2 goals were totally Staals fault.

I would imagine you though Reitz and a strong game.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:10 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
were you at the game last night. Girardi played a very good game. was hitting and battling hard.

It was Staal who really sucked last night. almost looked like Malik ( both tall and awkward). 2 goals were totally Staals fault.

Funny you should pick on the one player on our team who finished with a + rating.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:47 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Just gonna have to disagree here. I thought Girardi handled the puck poorly, didn't win battle along the boards, and overall looked very shaky.

Quote:
The first goal was his "fault" insofar as it was a play he made that wound up allowing it, but the play he made was a good one. He was ready to pick off a pass to turn the play back into the Sabres' zone, and would have done so, if Dawes hadn't tipped the puck himself,which sent it bouncing behind Staal.

The second goal I'll give you.

Quote:
Yup. +1, 3 blocked shots, and his usual physical game? I'll take it.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote