HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Cluttered Bottom Six

Old
02-22-2009, 12:13 PM
kovalost27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
consistensy in mediocrity is not consistency we want... fruitcup
8 points in 10 games isn't mediocrity with pointless game streaks only lasting 2-3 at most. Just because Kovalev isn't playing to his expectations doesn't mean that he isn't contributing.

Guys like Tanguay and Plekanec have had pointless game streaks of up to 10 games in a row. That is bad.

When our top defensemen (Markov, Hamrlik and Komisarek) are leading the league in giveaways, that is bad.

Anyways, if you want to argue with me about Kovalev, there are other posts that deal with Kovalev.

This is about who you think will consist of the bottom six and who will be sent to hamilton, once Tanguay and Latendresse come back.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Mustafa*

Pac - Lap - Lats
whoever - whoever - Kostopoulos/Laraque

The third line would be a realy great cheking line, thos three guys are realy full of energy and the two wingers got nose for the net, and Lap can contribute offensivly. They can be used against any lines, and they can give huge hit. They would also win all the battles along the boards.

Thos three have talents (especialy the wingers) and have a strong work ethic. So we stay with three scoring lines, and a real checking third line at the same time.

The fourth line i dont care much, except for Laraque and Kostopoulos.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:19 PM
couris

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Yeah it looks like it. Latendresse can't produce enough to keep a top six role, and cannot play a third or fourth line role as well as a third or fourth line player.

I think it would be better for him to play for a team that needs a top six player and believes that he can fit that role and they play the hell out of him rather than him sitting in lingo between top six and bottom six.
Do you watch the games? Latendresse-Lapierre = good

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:23 PM
AlexC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I'd move Maxpac, Higgins and AK around once Tanguay comes back, leaving the bottom 6 with this:

Tanguay-Koivu-AK
MaxPac-Pleks-Kovalev
Higgins-Lapierre-Lats
Dandy-(veteran who can win faceoffs acquired at the deadline)-Kosto

Extra: Begin & Laraque

Chips, D'Ago, and Steward sent back to Hamilton.
Hi,

First post here. Don't jump on me please
I love those lines. Tanguay - Koivu - AK looks so good. Can't wait to see Koivu and AK playing together again.

Also replace the bold part with Begin and there you have your veteran who can win face offs

Please Carbo do this, pleeease !

AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Andy

Tanguay Koivu Kostitsyn
Smyth Plekanec Kovalev
Pacioretty Lappiere D'agostini
Latendresse Chipchura Kostopoulos

I can dream can't I

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:25 PM
kovalost27

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Do you watch the games? Latendresse-Lapierre = good
I do watch the games, and I do think he works well with Lapierre. I just don't see Montreal paying him 1.5-2million the next year because he's easily replaceable.

Old
02-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
When Tanguay comes back, this is going to be the top six:

Tanguay - Koivu - Higgins
Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev

Now, since this is what the lineup is going to look like for the top six, how do you girls and guys think the bottom six is going to look like? Who will be sent down?

List of players:
Lapierre, Latendresse, Begin, Dandenault, Kostopoulos, Laraque, Chipchura, Stewart, D'Agostini, Pacioretty.

Boldface for AHL call-ups
Chipchura and Stewart down first, then D'agostini. If anyone has proven they belong at this level it's Pacioretty I can see him sticking for the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
don't worry son, Kovalev will be gone by march 4

and maybe begin, and I hope Dandenault too

but if the youngs like stewart and Chipchura keep up the good work, we will see the real garbage go away

Wanna bet dad?

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al3xKz View Post
Hi,

First post here. Don't jump on me please
I love those lines. Tanguay - Koivu - AK looks so good. Can't wait to see Koivu and AK playing together again.

Also replace the bold part with Begin and there you have your veteran who can win face offs

Please Carbo do this, pleeease !
Welcome to the forums.

Now to answer your question, I don't like the idea of Begin centering the 4th line for a few reasons reasons:

1-He's much better on the wing
2-He doesn't have a very high face-off %
3-I think we need to acquire another center who can move up to the top lines as insurance in case of injury.*

So far, I see one spot on the forth line that can be filled by either Begin, Laraque or Dandy, I picked the last one because he's been playing best as of late and having an extra D in the lineup in never a bad idea. They can rotate depending on their play and our opponents.

* After a bit of research, I've come up with two names who fit that description, Dominic Moore from Toronto and former Hab Radek Bonk from Nashville. Both are very good in the face-off circle (Bonk in #1 in the league, Moore is #14, Koivu is our best at #16), both are UFA at the end of the season and they wouldn't cost very much.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:01 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

AKost-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay
Pacioretty-Lapierre-D'Agostini
Kostopoulos-Chipchura-Latendresse

X-Begin, Laraque

Schneider-Markov
Komi-Hammer
Gorges-Brisebois

X-Dandenault

Halak/Price
Price/Halak

Stewart sent down.

I would love this line up. A rejuvenated 1st line (AKost, Pleks both playing well of late and Kovalev seems to be back) A 2nd that looked very well before each of it's members took their turn getting injured. A 3rd line filled with our 3 hardest working players IMO. All good in both capable of grinding it out and equally capable offensively. A consistant hardworking 4th line. Back to the three scoring line theory. Sergei Kostitsyn should stay in the AHL for the rest of the season and only called up to take on a TOP 6 role.

YUMMY

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:09 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Being as brutally realistic as I can be, I'd send down Chipchura and Pacioretty. Pacioretty has been great, don't get me wrong, but I think he can use some more polishing in the AHL. No doubt I think he's ready physically but he isn't putting up numbers. He's a classic example of hfboards hyping.

My lines would include D'Agostini somewhere. Why? Because we don't have too many players on our team that shoot right. Not only that, I think we can get him firing again with Koivu and Tanguay.

Tanguay-Koivu-D'Agostini
Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Lapierre-Latendresse
Dandenault-Begin-Kostopoulus

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:10 PM
kovalost27

Quote:
both are UFA at the end of the season and wouldn't cost very much.
I think Bonk would be a great pickup. I don't know why Montreal got rid of him.

Old
02-22-2009, 01:20 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
I want 3rd to be Dagostini Lapierre Pacioretty

4th...dont care
Agreed....

D'ago Laps Pacioretty (maybe Lats contending for D'ago's spot if D'ago slips)

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:21 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Agreed....

D'ago Laps Pacioretty (maybe Lats contending for D'ago's spot if D'ago slips)
How has D'Agostini done more then Lats?

Old
02-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
I want 3rd to be Dagostini Lapierre Pacioretty

4th...dont care
precisely, i dont care what any line looks like right now as long as our 3rd line looks something like this, but id MUCH rather have pacioretty playing with pleks and kostitsyn, god damn it

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Johnny Hotrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
How do we know which Kovalev will show up if we make the playoffs, are we willing to gamble away a great opportunity to maybe pick up a good skater and maybe a first rounder? look what we got for Rivet, both are playing right now for the Habs. Please don't get me wrong I think Kovy is a great player but would rather get something of long term benefit by tradinf him instead of keeping a guy that may help us if we make the playoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Actually if there is one thing you can count on, is Kovalev playing well in the playoffs. In 112 career playoff games, he has 95 points and with the Canadiens in 29 playoffs games, he has 28 points and 15 goals.
For how long are people going to continue to pretend that Kovy is not pure money in the playoffs. These numbers are not a fluke, they have been amassed over 15 years. He's played well in the playoffs IN MONTREAL, hasn't everyone seen these games?

If the team is serious about competing for the cup this year, retain the leading point-scoring forward with the world of talent and playoff pedigree.

Johnny Hotrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1909 View Post
How has D'Agostini done more then Lats?
lol if im not mistaken...

dagostini has 10 goals in his first ever NHL year, and latendresse has like 6 in his THIRD nhl year

i understand latendresse will probably be given the spot on that line, but lets just try to understand, .. latendresse has rly got to reprove himself to get a better spot in the line up, but he WAS playing decent hockey before getting hurt

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post

dagostini has 10 goals in his first ever NHL year, and latendresse has like 6 in his THIRD nhl year

i understand latendresse will probably be given the spot on that line, but lets just try to understand, .. latendresse has rly got to reprove himself to get a better spot in the line up, but he WAS playing decent hockey before getting hurt
Latendresse got 16 on hif first full season, so I don't understand what you're talking about

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I would agree and a forth of Kosto/Chip/BGL or Stewart.

Is it me or is Lats slowly losing his place on this team?

He was playing very well before he got injured and his line (Lapierre + TK) was probably our best line around that time, 3 months ago it looked like he was losing his spot on his team but before he got hurt he was showing he belonged on the team.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:31 PM
AlexC

Quote:
Welcome to the forums.

Now to answer your question, I don't like the idea of Begin centering the 4th line for a few reasons reasons:

1-He's much better on the wing
2-He doesn't have a very high face-off %
3-I think we need to acquire another center who can move up to the top lines as insurance in case of injury.*

So far, I see one spot on the forth line that can be filled by either Begin, Laraque or Dandy, I picked the last one because he's been playing best as of late and having an extra D in the lineup in never a bad idea. They can rotate depending on their play and our opponents.

* After a bit of research, I've come up with two names who fit that description, Dominic Moore from Toronto and former Hab Radek Bonk from Nashville. Both are very good in the face-off circle (Bonk in #1 in the league, Moore is #14, Koivu is our best at #16), both are UFA at the end of the season and they wouldn't cost very much.
Injuries ? What injuries ?

Well you talked about a center who can win face offs, not an elite one

Begin was putrid last year but overall he is around 50%. 53% this year, not that bad.

I like Dominic Moore a lot. He is really usefull. So even if he's UFA I don't know why Burke would send him elsewhere. If he comes here, BG surely would try to sign him (I know I would !)

And I'm not sure the Preds will be seller.

I do agree both would be a better option than Begin. Just forget Moore .
However if he's better as a winger, he won't be useless as a center (especially plaing with TK) He's a warrior, we need players like that during the PO. Give that line 10-12 minutes of play, and he won't be a liability.

AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:58 PM
la25ecoupe

Will Lang come back for the Playoff?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:00 PM
la25ecoupe

I'd put

Tanguay - Koivu - Kovy
Patches - Plek - AK46
Higs - Laps - Lats
Kosto - Chips - Laraque (the trap line)

or switch Higs and Patches..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:11 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post

I like D'Agostini more then some players, don't get me wrong. But Latendresse (like previously stated) had 16 in his first year. Not only that, he was playing awesome with Lapierre. Not only that - D'Agostini is a team worst -14. Do you really want him playing in a checking/energy role?

Old
02-22-2009, 03:26 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
I do watch the games, and I do think he works well with Lapierre. I just don't see Montreal paying him 1.5-2million the next year because he's easily replaceable.
Me neither, but why would the club have to give Latendresse the kind of money Chris Higgins made on his second contract??? Chris had 2 20-goal seasons under his belt already.

Latendresse should make about $1.0-1.2M on his second contract.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Bacchus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1909 View Post

Tanguay-Koivu-D'Agostini
Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Lapierre-Latendresse
Dandenault-Begin-Kostopoulus
Yeah, I can see Patches and Chips being sent down, and I like these lines if D'Agostini can get his goal scoring back on that line.

Also, I don't know what is going to happen if SK doesn't get back in to the flow of things and get called back up. I have a hard time seeing him getting traded, and I have a hard time seeing him staying with the HBD for more than 3-4 weeks. If he isn't back with the club, does he leave for Russia? If he gets traded, how will his brother react? SK has a lot of potential, and he is going through some bad times. I don't think we will be throwing him away.

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:34 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I would agree and a forth of Kosto/Chip/BGL or Stewart.

Is it me or is Lats slowly losing his place on this team?
LOL
Have you seen our record lately ?
I don't think any injured player can possibily be worried by our current lineup.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote