HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Problems choosing hockey stick (lefty or righty?)

Old
02-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Samcorp

vCash: 500
Problems choosing hockey stick (lefty or righty?)

I have a little issue choosing my hockey stick.
I'm right handed all together. (When I write, I use my right hand.. etc)
My right arm is probably a little stronger than my left.. muscle wise.

However, when I hold a hockey stick I have a lot more control with my left arm on the bottom of the stick and my right arm on the top handle portion.
I like to stick handle on my left side on my body although I also can on my right side. However, when I shoot the puck, I'm used to shooting from my right side of my body. I shoot farther on that side.. however, I' am currently using a righty stick.
Should I get a lefty stick and force myself to learn to shoot from my left side? Will I get more control with a lefty stick when shooting?

Also, I've been skating for about 4-6 months. I play INLINE/ROLLER HOCKEY, not ice. I just started stick handling and practicing with a hockey stick. I attend open hockey on friday's and just play/practice.

Thanks,

Sam

Samcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:42 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
If you have more control and feel more comfortable with a left handed stick... I think you already know your answer.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Samcorp

Well, last time I used a left handed stick I felt less control, probably because it was too small for me (it was my friend's little brothers).

But if I continue with my current right handed stick I can't slap shot correctly then..

so I'm still debating whether or not I should get a lefty stick..

Old
02-22-2009, 12:19 PM
noobman

You sound like a lefty to me.

If you're afraid of picking the wrong side buy a wood stick with a really flat blade, and modify the curve so that it's straight

You'll have a lethal backhand if nothing else!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:28 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcorp View Post
Well, last time I used a left handed stick I felt less control, probably because it was too small for me (it was my friend's little brothers).

But if I continue with my current right handed stick I can't slap shot correctly then..

so I'm still debating whether or not I should get a lefty stick..
Ok, so you feel that you have more control holding a right handed stick left handed but you cannot shoot left handed with a right handed stick... and you're asking whether you should force yourself to use the right handed stick, right handed. Or buy a left handed stick and use it left handed... I think I got this straight now.

Have you tried playing golf?

Old
02-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Samcorp

.. haha, its like golf to me.. pretty much the way I shoot is the way a person would shoot in golf (i think).
No, i haven't played golf by the way.

Old
02-22-2009, 01:28 PM
bigdinc78

Send a message via MSN to bigdinc78
if you're right handed, a left stick is whats natural, right handed and right stick is the equivalent to riding goofy foot.

I would learn to use the lefty stick personally, occasionally using a right stick can give you a competitive edge depending which wing you play.

regardless stick handling is more important than shooting the puck, so whichever makes you feel more comfortable doing that. The shot will come in time.

bigdinc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Green13

Since your right-handed

Right stick = better shot
Left stick = better puck handling

In the end if you get good/strong enough it all evens out. These are just very minor advantages you gain and become less and less evident the more you work on the other obviously.

Green13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:53 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green13 View Post
Since your right-handed

Right stick = better shot
Left stick = better puck handling

In the end if you get good/strong enough it all evens out. These are just very minor advantages you gain and become less and less evident the more you work on the other obviously.
Not exactly. Power hand on the bottom is great for slap shots power and accuracy. Power hand on top is good for stick handling, wrist and snap shots. BUT this is very generally speaking and doesn't matter if you're not comfortable with the handedness.

Old
02-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Green13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Not exactly. Power hand on the bottom is great for slap shots power and accuracy. Power hand on top is good for stick handling, wrist and snap shots. BUT this is very generally speaking and doesn't matter if you're not comfortable with the handedness.
Yea it only applies at the very beggining if your starting out. And the advantage will deteriorate as you play more and more, being so minor.

So if you already have a favourable side and are switching you wont see any advantage untill you get over the uncomfortableness obviously, but that would be a waste of time really because whats the point? Theres no real difference in the end when you practice, and create muscle memory and strength. But there is apparently a need of right handed players in the NHL

Old
02-22-2009, 02:33 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Right handedness should equal left stick. You will use the strength of your right hand/arm to better control the puck and it even helps when you're trying to play defense. Can you imagine trying to swat or poke the poke on your weaker arm??? I didn't think so. Getting a good shot just takes time and practice, I should know because I suck at it still.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:35 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearsOFaClown View Post
Right handedness should equal left stick. You will use the strength of your right hand/arm to better control the puck and it even helps when you're trying to play defense. Can you imagine trying to swat or poke the poke on your weaker arm??? I didn't think so. Getting a good shot just takes time and practice, I should know because I suck at it still.
Not necessarily. I'm right handed and I shoot right. It's just whatever's natural. It does seem that most right-handers shoot left and vice versa, though.

FDBluth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Green13

Quote:
Yea I shoot right and I'm right handed. I poke check with my left, it's not too bad.

Theres no defined way just pros and cons of each way.

Old
02-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Elshupacabra

It makes more sense logically to have your stronger hand on the top. But it all depends on they way you learned. I'm right handed and I learned to shoot with a right handed stick. But when I use a left handed stick, my shots are much faster and more powerful but I can't control the puck AT ALL with the lefty.

So really, like almost everything else regarding hockey sticks. It's a personal preference and depends on how you learned to shoot and what feels right to you.

Elshupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Samcorp

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have decided on a lefty stick.. on that note, what stick would you guys advise on a budget of 20-40$ for a stick? I only attend open hockey sessions and I may play outside just to practice stick handling. Should I use composite or wooden?

Old
02-22-2009, 04:08 PM
LarryO

What kind of surface do you play on?

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Samcorp

I play on sport court I think.

Heres a picture of the marple sports arena floor.

*edit* I took the picture out because its too big.. messing up the thread.

Last edited by Samcorp: 02-22-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old
02-22-2009, 04:49 PM
McTowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsea View Post
if you're right handed, a left stick is whats natural, right handed and right stick is the equivalent to riding goofy foot.

I would learn to use the lefty stick personally, occasionally using a right stick can give you a competitive edge depending which wing you play.

regardless stick handling is more important than shooting the puck, so whichever makes you feel more comfortable doing that. The shot will come in time.
Wrong

Quote:
And again wrong, where do you get this from? If you skate board/surf/snow board with your left foot forward, throw, write, bat and swing right handed than you are right handed and should get a right handed stick. I don't really see how a right handed person would benefit from a left handed stick, but maybe thats just me. I have played hockey on a competitive level for years and evryone that I know and grew up with playing hockey shoots the same way they throw etc....

McTowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 05:08 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
Wrong

And again wrong, where do you get this from? If you skate board/surf/snow board with your left foot forward, throw, write, bat and swing right handed than you are right handed and should get a right handed stick. I don't really see how a right handed person would benefit from a left handed stick, but maybe thats just me. I have played hockey on a competitive level for years and evryone that I know and grew up with playing hockey shoots the same way they throw etc....
Actually, You're the one who's very wrong. about 70% of the NHL shoots left. The handedness is about the same as the general population, about 85-15 in favor of right handed people. Do the math.

Most people shoot with the opposite hand that they write with. Why? The power on top. Power hand on top is MUCH more common in higher levels, because it does give much better stickhandling, and it also puts your dominant eye up to see the ice, giving you better vision for passing.

However, a lot of the best shooters have their power hand on the bottom. Typically happens if you played baseball or glove before hockey you're much more comfortable with it. But it puts the strong hand on the bottom to help shoot, and puts the dominant eye over the puck giving you better accuracy.

But the correct answer here is whatever hand you're more comfortable with. If you like how the left handed stick feels, use that one. And what surface you're playing on does not matter in the slightest.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 05:29 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post

It is (mostly) just you. As the above poster mentions do what feels comfortable for you, but I can tell you that as a right hander who started shooting right and switched to left that I have better control of the puck because my top hand is stronger. The right stick just feels wrong.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 05:51 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

The strong hand really needs to be on the top of the stick. It helps stick handling, defense, faceoffs, snap shots etc.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 06:13 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
The strong hand really needs to be on the top of the stick. It helps stick handling, defense, faceoffs, snap shots etc.
No, it doesn't NEED to be strong hand on top. If you're not comfortable how is it going to benefit you? If you are strong enough and coordinated enough, the off-hand can be on top. I can sweep check a lot better with my left hand than my right hand because I've built the strength and muscle memory in that arm up. It's all about comfort. If you think there is ONE right way to play hockey and personal preferences don't play a factor you are very ignorant.

Old
02-22-2009, 06:31 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Actually, You're the one who's very wrong. about 70% of the NHL shoots left. The handedness is about the same as the general population, about 85-15 in favor of right handed people. Do the math.

Most people shoot with the opposite hand that they write with. Why? The power on top. Power hand on top is MUCH more common in higher levels, because it does give much better stickhandling, and it also puts your dominant eye up to see the ice, giving you better vision for passing.

However, a lot of the best shooters have their power hand on the bottom. Typically happens if you played baseball or glove before hockey you're much more comfortable with it. But it puts the strong hand on the bottom to help shoot, and puts the dominant eye over the puck giving you better accuracy.

But the correct answer here is whatever hand you're more comfortable with. If you like how the left handed stick feels, use that one. And what surface you're playing on does not matter in the slightest.
That's funny, in 20 years of playing hockey every left handed person I've ever met shot also left handed.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 06:51 PM
McTowMater14

Quote:
It is (mostly) just you. As the above poster mentions do what feels comfortable for you, but I can tell you that as a right hander who started shooting right and switched to left that I have better control of the puck because my top hand is stronger. The right stick just feels wrong.
OK, I AM NOT going to waste my time arguing with people here on a matter that I know that I am right about! But I really have to ask how having your stronger more controllable arm on the end of the stick that moves the least is beneficial. Lets put it this way, I have been playing and have been around hockey since I was 5 and I am now 35 I played an elite level of hockey and everybody I was friends with and still am around has or still is playing the game. What I am hearing here is just plain wrong! But whatever, you guys are right.

Old
02-22-2009, 06:52 PM
McTowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
That's funny, in 20 years of playing hockey every left handed person I've ever met shot also left handed.
Thank you!